PDA

View Full Version : Tiano committs

Raytoraid83
06-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Second one of the night. QB from Chattanooga.

CadaverDawg
06-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Boom

http://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Tiano-30306

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2014, 06:51 PM
#QBU

Seriously, Mullen is smart as crap. He understands that when you cannot recruit at the same level overall as your rivals, your best chance of winning is to excel at the most important position on the field. It is the great equalizer.

How do you ensure that you excel at the game's most important position? Recruit talented players in mass. Create a Darwinian system where only the strongest survive. Then you make sure you always have a bad ass at QB.

Manziel redshirted his first year at TAMU. QB is a hard position to evaluate. If we have an extra scholly, there is no better position to spend it at.

Maroons
06-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Really surprised we're taking two QB's in this class. But also really glad to have both committed - they look like players.

RossDawg82
06-05-2014, 06:52 PM
If you count jalen Thompson we have 3. He tweeted that he and Maurice are going to the same school

hailmari
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Also, Harrison Moon (TE that's expected to grow into an OL, I believe) is pretty tight with Tiano. He's apparently enjoyed his time in the Stark this week.

dawgs
06-05-2014, 07:04 PM
#QBU

Seriously, Mullen is smart as crap. He understands that when you cannot recruit at the same level overall as your rivals, your best chance of winning is to excel at the most important position on the field. It is the great equalizer.

How do you ensure that you excel at the game's most important position? Recruit talented players in mass. Create a Darwinian system where only the strongest survive. Then you make sure you always have a bad ass at QB.

Manziel redshirted his first year at TAMU. QB is a hard position to evaluate. If we have an extra scholly, there is no better position to spend it at.

Agreed. you gotta take QBs you think are SEC caliber, then let them sort it out on the field. QB is easily the most important position in football, and taking 2/cycle and letting the chips fall where they may is the best way to find yourself an elite QB. Plus competition drives players to maximize their potential. Sure a couple of these guys will end up transferring, but that will only be because they weren't beating out the guys they were competing with for snaps. But by getting them all on campus, we get to find out who develops into the best QB instead of predicting during the recruiting cycle, only to watch the player we turned down go on the star elsewhere (and yes, that can still happen cause you can't get everyone, but if you can get 2 of your top couple of targets, it's a good move to maximize the chances of getting the guy that becomes elite).

HancockCountyDog
06-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Second one of the night. QB from Chattanooga.

Does this mean we are passing on the Smith kid from meridian? N

Im fine with doing that, sign the best kids, period. I don't care if they are from MS or Alaska.

TheRef
06-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Does this mean we are passing on the Smith kid from meridian? N

Im fine with doing that, sign the best kids, period. I don't care if they are from MS or Alaska.

Not necessarily...

RossDawg82
06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
I wonder what our ranking will be after these commitments

HancockCountyDog
06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Not necessarily...

You think we sign 3 Qbs ?

I don't think we can head fake an in state kid. I also don't think we recruit like that.

RossDawg82
06-05-2014, 07:12 PM

I don't think we can head fake an in state kid. I also don't think we recruit like that.

I don't see it either but you never know. Let them compete and see who is the best

TheRef
06-05-2014, 07:13 PM
We just went from #13 to #8 on the Rivals rankings with these two commits.

Statefan
06-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Maybe we will still recruit him but as an athlete instead

engie
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM

I think we give 3 athletes the chance to compete at the QB position with the understanding that 2 of them will most likely be moving positions...

Statefan
06-05-2014, 07:21 PM
What does this mean for Spivey? Could he be considered an athlete too?

mjh94
06-05-2014, 07:26 PM
8th on 247. Good for 6th in the SEC

This includes Smitherman, but not Tiano. Logic says we would bump up once he's added.

We just went from #13 to #8 on the Rivals rankings with these two commits.

hailmari
06-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I think DB or WR is where Spivey translates to wherever he goes. I've read that he's been doing some DB work this summer and he really likes it.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
We have to sign two this year. After Dak wins the Heisman, he's gonna be #1 on everybody's draft board!

Think BIG!

Dawg61
06-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Love Tiano's size. He is HUGE and can run too. Reminds me of Dak. Lol

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1548759/highlights/101676393

Westdawg
06-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Tiano may end up at TE bit would not surprise me how this turns out

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Reminds me of Ryan Tannehill, the Dolphins QB from Texas A&M. Good looking prospects. Recruit enough of these type of guys and you end up with NFL caliber QBs running your offense every year.

RTO Dawg
06-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Big kid that runs well.. just needs to put something on the ball..

jumbo
06-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Smith and Spivey are both being recruited as ATH so these commits don't rule them out. I would expect a commitment from Harrison Moon (Tiano's teammate) today and possible Jalen Thompson.

This should be the best class we have ever signed.

BankerDog
06-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Really like his quick release. Runs well, throws a clean crisp pass. Should be competition at the QB position for the next few years.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 09:19 AM
This is the type of croot I'll get fired up about. Big, and can throw and run. Perfect for Mullen, perfect for the college game. I like that we are stockpiling the same type of QB. I know it may seem like teams can better gameplan for one type of player, but that works both ways. We have to create the best system for that same player. This helps us be more consistent and at the end of the day, Croom was right that execution trumps everything else.

smootness
06-06-2014, 09:26 AM
This is the type of croot I'll get fired up about. Big, and can throw and run. Perfect for Mullen, perfect for the college game. I like that we are stockpiling the same type of QB. I know it may seem like teams can better gameplan for one type of player, but that works both ways. We have to create the best system for that same player. This helps us be more consistent and at the end of the day, Croom was right that execution trumps everything else.

And I actually think the whole 'two different style QBs to gameplan for' is a bit overrated. True, if we go into a game with Tyler Russell and Dak, the other team will have to have two different schemes ready, to some degree. But for one thing, we saw that no matter who is the QB, we'll run a lot of the same stuff. And for another, Dak is far more difficult to gameplan for than Russell. So you might as well just go into a game with one QB, or one style of QB, but make that one style be very difficult to gameplan against, period.

Johnson85
06-06-2014, 11:30 AM
And I actually think the whole 'two different style QBs to gameplan for' is a bit overrated. True, if we go into a game with Tyler Russell and Dak, the other team will have to have two different schemes ready, to some degree.

I don't think having a package QB is overrated. I do think it makes it hard for the defense when in addition to the normal offense, they also have to prepare for a package that focuses on the strenghts of the back-up qb. There is some extra stress on your offense to prepare, but you have to get your backup QB snaps in practice anyway, and you're not trying to make them implement a whole new offense, just a package of plays. And to the extent you can use other backups in the package, you don't even have to use that practice time for all of your starters.

The reason it didn't work out that well for us is that Dak couldn't be a package QB because of injuries. So we ended up playing two QB's a bunch with an offense that didn't fit Tyler's skills b/c we didn't have the WR and make the adjustments to maximize his talent, but we had changed the focus of our offense enough that it wasn't really optimized for Dak either.

I don't think this will really be an issue for us going forward. I think our primary qb's are going to be dual threats going forward. When we do have a backup qb that is more of a pocket passer, it's just hard to turn them into a package qb because it's so much harder to come in for spot duty as a passer than it is to come in and run some sort of option offense.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't think having a package QB is overrated. I do think it makes it hard for the defense when in addition to the normal offense, they also have to prepare for a package that focuses on the strenghts of the back-up qb. There is some extra stress on your offense to prepare, but you have to get your backup QB snaps in practice anyway, and you're not trying to make them implement a whole new offense, just a package of plays. And to the extent you can use other backups in the package, you don't even have to use that practice time for all of your starters.

The reason it didn't work out that well for us is that Dak couldn't be a package QB because of injuries. So we ended up playing two QB's a bunch with an offense that didn't fit Tyler's skills b/c we didn't have the WR and make the adjustments to maximize his talent, but we had changed the focus of our offense enough that it wasn't really optimized for Dak either.

I don't think this will really be an issue for us going forward. I think our primary qb's are going to be dual threats going forward. When we do have a backup qb that is more of a pocket passer, it's just hard to turn them into a package qb because it's so much harder to come in for spot duty as a passer than it is to come in and run some sort of option offense.

This will become more clear after this year. We have Prescott and Williams as 1/2, essentially the same type QB. We haven't ever really had this since Mullen arrived. Your system did work out well in 2009 and 2012, so there could be something to that. But we need to see this system first before we judge. Perhaps what we are doing now will work better against the better teams, which is precisely where the previous system failed us in 09/12.

smootness
06-06-2014, 11:55 AM

My point is that if you have a package QB, it's because your starter can't do everything you want your QB to do. So sure, having two QBs with different skillsets is better than having one QB who is one-dimensional, but it still isn't better than having one QB who can run every play that you have effectively.

We have Dak Prescott, who can run any kind of play we have, and is always a threat to throw or run, so we don't need a package QB. That, in and of itself, is difficult for defense to gameplan for. That was my point.

Pollodawg
06-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Great pickup. He looks just like Dak back there.

deltadawg99
06-06-2014, 12:38 PM
The staff may think that Staley ends up sticking with basketball down the road.

thedawg
06-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Our last four commitments are big enough and good enough athletes they can play other spots.... Nick Fitzgerald and Elijah Staley are both 6'5 and can run TE or even DE... Vigil could play wr and Tiano could play TE... Mullen can run the qb until his legs fall off with this kind of real depth after next year.

Johnson85
06-06-2014, 12:53 PM
My point is that if you have a package QB, it's because your starter can't do everything you want your QB to do. So sure, having two QBs with different skillsets is better than having one QB who is one-dimensional, but it still isn't better than having one QB who can run every play that you have effectively.

We have Dak Prescott, who can run any kind of play we have, and is always a threat to throw or run, so we don't need a package QB. That, in and of itself, is difficult for defense to gameplan for. That was my point.

I agree that if you are running a run first spread offense like us, a package qb doesn't help. You need your primary qb to be a dual threat. If he's not, you end up with the issue where the different look from your 'package qb' doesn't make up for the fact that you're running an offense that is not a good fit for your primary qb. If you do have a dual threat, it's hard for a package qb to bring anything to the table different enough to be worth having a separate package. Williams will not really be a package qb. He'll be running the same stuff as Dak, just pared back some depending on what he's capable of running. I think it's going to be like this for the foreseeable future, except maybe we end up with a Relf type runner as a primary qb and do have a smaller, quicker back-up qb that brings a different look in the run game.

smootness
06-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Our last four commitments are big enough and good enough athletes they can play other spots.... Nick Fitzgerald and Elijah Staley are both 6'5 and can run TE or even DE... Vigil could play wr and Tiano could play TE... Mullen can run the qb until his legs fall off with this kind of real depth after next year.

Just wanted to clarify that Staley is actually 6'7". He's stupid huge.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Williams will not really be a package qb. He'll be running the same stuff as Dak, just pared back some depending on what he's capable of running.

This is a good thing. Think of it this way. We can run the QB twice as much and not have as much risk of injury to Prescott. THAT is the beauty of it. And it'll be crisper too since they'll all be practicing the same thing. Think....for once....our entire offense in sync.

Most of the time, "packages" are reserved for running QBs who are spelling a passing QB. I've never seen a passing QB come in to spell a runner, I don't think.

smootness
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
This is a good thing. Think of it this way. We can run the QB twice as much and not have as much risk of injury to Prescott. THAT is the beauty of it. And it'll be crisper too since they'll all be practicing the same thing. Think....for once....our entire offense in sync.

Most of the time, "packages" are reserved for running QBs who are spelling a passing QB. I've never seen a passing QB come in to spell a runner, I don't think.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Williams won't play unless we're killing someone or Dak is hurt. We're not going to be running any packages at all at QB. It's Dak 100% of the time.

dawgs
06-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying. Williams won't play unless we're killing someone or Dak is hurt. We're not going to be running any packages at all at QB. It's Dak 100% of the time.

I think what he meant was of dak gets hurt, we won't have to overhaul the offensive gameplan for Williams.

That said, hopefully we are smart enough to limit dak's carries against weaker opponents and blowouts. No need I ding him up against usm when we'll need all the carries we can get against Bama and lsu and auburn.

smootness
06-06-2014, 04:09 PM
I think what he meant was of dak gets hurt, we won't have to overhaul the offensive gameplan for Williams.

That said, hopefully we are smart enough to limit dak's carries against weaker opponents and blowouts. No need I ding him up against usm when we'll need all the carries we can get against Bama and lsu and auburn.

I definitely agree with you in regard to our lesser opponents. I'd let him throw for 200 or so in the first half, then pull him for the second.

In regard to Goat, I would agree except that he said we can run the QB twice as much and have less injury risk for Dak - makes me think he's talking about Williams subbing in regularly.