PDA

View Full Version : We are getting a good one in Austin Riley!

AugustaDawg
05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Went to the Clinton/Desoto Central game tonight and it was a good one. I was excited to see Austin Riley in person and he exceeded my expectations. Keep in mind he is only a sophomore. As far as the eye test goes he passes with flying colors. As a soph. he already has the body of Hunter Renfroe. He dwarfs half our team already. He played 3rd tonight for most of the game and was solid. He has a cannon across the diamond. They brought him in to pitch in extra innings he threw a lot of curves and change ups then would bump 90 and make the Clinton hitters look pretty bad. As far as his hitting goes, Clinton didn't pitch to him all game, intentionally walked him once and pitched around him the rest of the time UNTIL the 8th inning (extra innings) and he hit an absolute bomb over dead center (3 run bomb) to seal the deal. That kid is a complete stud. Hope he makes it on campus.

CadaverDawg
05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow, I really hope he makes it to campus but it sounds like he may end up draft material. Glad he's committed

msstate7
05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I was hoping for another 5'8" leadoff type

Todd4State
05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
His Dad is Mike Riley who used to punt for us, so he's a legacy.

He might be a dual position guy at MSU. Way too soon to know, but he has that potential at this time.

Luke Alexander is another sophomore in Mississippi that is probably just as highly thought of. He plays for Belmont.

Keegan James who is also on DeSoto Central's team is a commit as well. Hunter Stovall is yet another player in that class who plays for a very good program in Birmingham- Pelham- and he started for them as a freshman. Our 2015 baseball class has a chance to be very special.

Thick
05-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Mike and I were in the same signing class, and his son is a beast. Keegan is also a state legacy, son of Greg James who also punted. I did not play with Greg, but he was still hanging around campus back then. Both are solid dudes too.

Coach34
05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Mike and I were in the same signing class, and his son is a beast. Keegan is also a state legacy, son of Greg James who also punted. I did not play with Greg, but he was still hanging around campus back then. Both are solid dudes too.

Thick bringing the good info tonight...I'm coming to Json this summer and meeting you and 48 for some drinks

Boomer15
05-14-2013, 11:26 PM
He started game 1 of the series. The Nationals scout clocked him at 93 in that game.

He is also the QB for DC, he could probably be a college QB if he wanted to.

Todd4State
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM
He started game 1 of the series. The Nationals scout clocked him at 93 in that game.

You're talking about Keegan James right?

Boomer15
05-15-2013, 08:32 AM
You're talking about Keegan James right?

No, I'm talking about Austin Riley

AlSwearengen
05-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Unless this kid is amazingly raw by the time he is a senior (which is doubtful) he will have to turn down alot of money if he is to play in college.

AugustaDawg
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Unless this kid is amazingly raw by the time he is a senior (which is doubtful) he will have to turn down alot of money if he is to play in college.

No doubt. He is one of me most impressive athletes I've seen in a long time. It is scary to think of what he will do his senior year.

Original48
05-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Thick bringing the good info tonight...I'm coming to Json this summer and meeting you and 48 for some drinks
Greg and his wife are incredible people. And ready for your arrival Coach. You and thick can flip for the tab.

Thick
05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Come on Coach, I love the cocktails!! Austin hit one out at Madison Central to dead center this year before the playoffs. I was told he has tremendous power, and he's put together well. He's dad was a good athlete, and sometimes would run QB for the scout team offense back in the day!

DAWGS1
05-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I roomed with Greg his first yr at State in spring of '85
Great guy, and pretty good punter too.
Had a booming punt against USM in '86
Pinned them on the 2 yd line with 4 min to go only to have them
drive 98 yds and score with 20 seconds to go to beat us 24-28