PDA

View Full Version : The issue of filling college football stadiums

The Croom Diaries
06-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Baseball season is over, so here is some reading material from myself in case you get board. I think it's a big topic going forward - going to games vs. watching on TV, and the change in attendee at college football games over the last decade or so as ticket costs rise.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/05/issue-filling-college-football-stadiums/

dickiedawg
06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Good, thoughtful write up.
The thing is, as long as we're winning games and going to bowl games, tickets will sell and folks will come to the ballgames. We may not sell out every Middle Tennessee and Jackson State game, but the "cupcake" games will soon be few and far between. We already have to play 9 BCS-level opponents a year (starting in 2015) and soon I think they'll discourage (if not disallow) FCS games.

You made a good point about people having to pick and choose which games they attend. I'm very fortunate to have my tickets paid for, and I live in Starkville so there's not a ton of cost associated with going to the games. But for a lot of families, it's a real luxury, and one that's only getting more expensive while the alternative gets better.

Goat Holder
06-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I gave you a click, good article and a necessary topic going forward. They have definitely phased me out, I've got to buy 4 tickets and just can't do it. And you're thinking just like me....picking 2-3 games to come to. A couple of things I've toyed with was cutting cable and just going to all the sporting events I wanted to, but I highly doubt that will even out cash wise. More life experience and less sitting behind the TV.

Some people think you can solve this by getting better games. I don't know that it will help, it's still expensive. But you damn sure better have a better product if you want to charge more money. But there again you have to weigh the benefits/costs vs. watching MSU win vs. a more popular opponent. I think for one, we have to get rid of FCS games across the board. They are like practice. Two, play at least one OOC game vs. a similar BCS team (we're already seeing this).

Now, I'm not saying that's what's best for MSU, just what's best for the situation you have outlined.

The Croom Diaries
06-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I think for one, we have to get rid of FCS games across the board. They are like practice. Two, play at least one OOC game vs. a similar BCS team (we're already seeing this).

I have long thought it would be best to create a "preseason" type of game vs. FCS schools. Basically giving FBS teams an option to play FCS schools in one of the two Saturdays leading up to the start of the season. If played, it would count towards your overall record, but the game would be optional. However, if you don't play a FCS school in the preseason then you cannot play one during the regular 12 game season.

This would create 1. another home game to sell tickets too - during camp when people are excited about seeing the team 2. creates a preseason game so teams aren't playing huge kickoff games without any real game simulation 3. gets rid of lousy FCS games without completely cutting ties with them as they need the money for their budgets

I would also require teams to win 7 games to go to a bowl. So you could be 7-6 with the FCS game or 7-5 without it. I would imagine pretty much everyone would play one of these games. And having two weeks in which to do it would allow for FCS teams to schedule two of them if they wanted a bigger pay day.

Goat Holder
06-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I think it would work. Lots of different formats for how to do it, but if everybody plays an FCS game in Week 1, they could all get kinks worked out, and then be ready to play games that matter on Week 2. And, the demand will be there because let's face it come Week 1, people are so starved for football that they will watch any-damn-thing. I myself have been known to go watch high school football just because I got the itch.

I've always thought that since they now have a committee to choose the Final Four, the committee should also lay out the bowl games. Take a numerical based ranking like the BCS, go right down it taking geography into consideration, and any big variations have to be explained by the committee for the public. Not all 6/7-win seasons are created equal.

TheRef
06-05-2014, 10:37 AM
I figured this is appropriate: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/5/5782352/michigan-football-tickets-students-prices-attendance

State82
06-05-2014, 01:49 PM
I gave you a click, good article and a necessary topic going forward. They have definitely phased me out, I've got to buy 4 tickets and just can't do it. And you're thinking just like me....picking 2-3 games to come to.

I'm in that boat, too. Too rich for my blood. I make a few games, but can't get the whole package. I spend my allowable game money on baseball every year anyway. I just enjoy that more.

drunkernhelldawg
06-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Good article

BulldogBear
06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
I figured this is appropriate: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/5/5782352/michigan-football-tickets-students-prices-attendance

Wow! $40 per game for students? What do ours pay?

BulldogBear
06-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm not phased out but if it continues to rise I could see one day just giving up on keeping 6 seats and going down to 2. I always think it's unfortunate for people when I see the prices on stubhub and other services for game tickets sometimes, but I know people that will tell me that while t's true tickets are overpriced often on resale but it's still cheaper for them to go to 1 or 2 they really wanna see than buy season tickets.

dickiedawg
06-06-2014, 08:58 AM

$50 this year. That's per season- so a touch over $7/game. I think that's doubled in the last 5 years.

Auburn's are $140/year or about $20/game. I think that's probably a reasonable price.
Something else interesting about AU tickets- they offer 5 game ticket packs for $100 that don't include Arkansas or LSU, and 3-game packs that include only the nonconference home games ($60). If you're going to be paying $20/ticket regardless, why on earth would you buy only the crappy games?

TheRef
06-06-2014, 09:07 AM

We pay $50 for this season. A slight increase from last year.

Johnson85
06-06-2014, 11:38 AM
But for a lot of families, it's a real luxury, and one that's only getting more expensive while the alternative gets better.

To me it's the quality of the alternative more than just the price that makes it so hard. For the cost of going to Starkville for a football game, we can go to Destin or Gulf Shores, have a much less grueling travel schedule, spend some time at the beach or on the boat when no good games are on, and still catch all the games we want, cook out, etc. When the kids get older and can really enjoy and will remember tailgating, we'll probably start doing Starkville again, but right now it's a real chore compared to the alternatives.

drunkernhelldawg
06-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm not phased out but if it continues to rise I could see one day just giving up on keeping 6 seats and going down to 2. I always think it's unfortunate for people when I see the prices on stubhub and other services for game tickets sometimes, but I know people that will tell me that while t's true tickets are overpriced often on resale but it's still cheaper for them to go to 1 or 2 they really wanna see than buy season tickets.

Part of it for me is money and convenience, but another thing is that the jumbotron never shuts up. I just don't enjoy the games as much with the constant noise. I do love being at the game where I can study aspects that are not shown on tv. I also think our gameday atmosphere is an incredible experience. Everyone needs to go at least once.