PDA

View Full Version : Chase Vallot

Todd4State
06-05-2014, 01:35 AM
It is thought that he is wanting between 1-1.5 million to go pro. Basically that's first/second round money and realistic and fair given where he is ranked. The other thing to keep in mind is if he drops to the third round or below, teams can choose to sign a guy over slot if they have enough money. If they go over their allotted amount, they are taxed by MLB and it hurts them in the next draft. It just depends on what team drafts them and how much they spend on their other picks.

Dale Burdick, Jesse McCord, and Cole Gordon are also potentially going to be drafted in that order. There is a chance that Burdick could sign if they offer enough money, but I think the odds are good that he comes to MSU. The other two will probably come to MSU even if they are drafted unless something unexpected happens like they get drafted in the top 10 rounds.

The deadline to sign with a pro team is in July. So, we'll know where we stand with these guys and our current players that get drafted by the middle of next month.

As far as our recruits go here are my handicaps for coming to MSU:

Vallot- 25%
Burdick- 75%
McCord- 90%
Gordon- 95%

Also- Andrew Mahoney is a closer type of guy from Mobile that sat out last year because of Tommy John surgery. He would have been a draft prospect as well had he not been hurt.

Paxton Stover is 5'10" and is a LHP who threw three no-hitters this past season. I think he might end up being Ross 2.0. Aaron Dominguez is a RHP from California who reminds me of Luis Pollorena as far as his energy and enthusiasm. He was trying to get Touki Touissant to commit to us last year. Both are going to be quality pitchers for us.

Ryan Gridley is a small guy, but he hit nearly .500 in Georgia for Milton HS, one of the better programs in that state. He can play 2B, SS, or the outfield. Taylor Stafford is from New Hope HS in Columbus. He was recruited as an OF, but I like him better as a LHP. We'll figure out what he is once he gets to campus. He was dominating Kossuth HS the time I saw him until the final inning when he ran out of gas. But he had 10K's in the game and was throwing in the mid 80's with a good breaking ball. Both Gridley and Stafford are very competitive players.

Boston
06-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Good info.

AROB44
06-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Todd...who is the pitcher from Spanish Fort, AL and how good is he?

Jacksondevildog
06-05-2014, 07:39 AM
McCord is the pitcher from Spanish fort. He is good and I talked to a coach from that area a while back and he said that McCord is the real deal.

messageboardsuperhero
06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I really like Dominguez as an under the radar type of player- he's had a really big year out in California. He throws pretty consistently in the low 90s with a very good changeup. From what I've heard, he has similar stuff to Austin Sexton, but has same the bulldog mentality as Pollorena- which is something I think this team missed a good bit this year. And of course it's always good to keep making connections and get good players from the West Coast.

McCord will likely be a weekend starter for us. He's very very good.

TheRef
06-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Is California turning into our new baseball pipeline state? I swear we have been getting a lot of players from there lately.

mjh94
06-05-2014, 08:32 AM
How are we comparing to other SEC programs, notably the ones we can't seem to top (FL and LSU), in terms of the talent committed/signed:going pro before they step foot on campus. Are those programs getting those guys to come to college or are they just out-performing us on the field? I feel like talent-wise they are always one step ahead. Just wondering if they have more of the high draft prospects coming to campus for a year or two.

HancockCountyDog
06-05-2014, 08:46 AM
The key to keeping Vallot is that he doesn't get drafted by a team with a lot of pool money.

That is the hope.

smootness
06-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Just a guess, but I'd say that if Vallot goes today (top 74 picks), he is almost certainly not coming to State, about a 0-2% chance.

But if he lasts until tomorrow, suddenly our chances jump up quite a bit, both because his signing bonus would probably drop a good bit and because it might signal that teams were unsure about their ability to sign him.

We know he'll sign if he gets enough, but if teams are unsure if they can get him for slot value late in the 2nd round, that bodes very well for us.

engie
06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Let's hope he's asking for a good bit more than his projected slot... If there's even a hint that a kid may not sign pro at his slot value, there is the potential that they free fall.

I'm with Todd... 25%. Optimistically...

RossDawg82
06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
when is the draft

jumbo
06-05-2014, 09:43 AM
when is the draft

starts tonight I believe

TheRef
06-05-2014, 09:46 AM
starts tonight I believe

Correct. 5:00 PM CDT on MLB Network and MLB.com

engie
06-05-2014, 09:48 AM
when is the draft

First 2 rounds(74 picks) tonight...He goes tonight, he gone.

maroonmania
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
After the Sandberg deal I find it just better to assume they are gone and if by some miracle they don't sign just appreciate the surprise.

smootness
06-05-2014, 11:58 AM
After the Sandberg deal I find it just better to assume they are gone and if by some miracle they don't sign just appreciate the surprise.

Certainly. I would hope no one is counting on Vallot, it's very unlikely he comes to State.

RossDawg82
06-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Sandberg got $750K, if chase gets around that number he is gone. And rightfully so

engie
06-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Sandberg got $750K, if chase gets around that number he is gone. And rightfully so

That's not necessarily true.

And Sandberg also had football as an option, which is why he got paid well over slot value...

MarketingBully01
06-05-2014, 12:17 PM
That's not necessarily true.

And Sandberg also had football as an option, which is why he got paid well over slot value...

I agree with Engie. If he slips to the third round, I think he comes to college. The key is will he be picked today. Look at that kid from Indiana who is a catcher. Vallot could potentially turn a 3rd round selection today into a top ten overall pick in three years. He basically could triple that 750k. Our odds go way up if he isn't selected today.

MarketingBully01
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
It is thought that he is wanting between 1-1.5 million to go pro. Basically that's first/second round money and realistic and fair given where he is ranked. The other thing to keep in mind is if he drops to the third round or below, teams can choose to sign a guy over slot if they have enough money. If they go over their allotted amount, they are taxed by MLB and it hurts them in the next draft. It just depends on what team drafts them and how much they spend on their other picks.

Dale Burdick, Jesse McCord, and Cole Gordon are also potentially going to be drafted in that order. There is a chance that Burdick could sign if they offer enough money, but I think the odds are good that he comes to MSU. The other two will probably come to MSU even if they are drafted unless something unexpected happens like they get drafted in the top 10 rounds.

The deadline to sign with a pro team is in July. So, we'll know where we stand with these guys and our current players that get drafted by the middle of next month.

As far as our recruits go here are my handicaps for coming to MSU:

Vallot- 25%
Burdick- 75%
McCord- 90%
Gordon- 95%

Also- Andrew Mahoney is a closer type of guy from Mobile that sat out last year because of Tommy John surgery. He would have been a draft prospect as well had he not been hurt.

Paxton Stover is 5'10" and is a LHP who threw three no-hitters this past season. I think he might end up being Ross 2.0. Aaron Dominguez is a RHP from California who reminds me of Luis Pollorena as far as his energy and enthusiasm. He was trying to get Touki Touissant to commit to us last year. Both are going to be quality pitchers for us.

Ryan Gridley is a small guy, but he hit nearly .500 in Georgia for Milton HS, one of the better programs in that state. He can play 2B, SS, or the outfield. Taylor Stafford is from New Hope HS in Columbus. He was recruited as an OF, but I like him better as a LHP. We'll figure out what he is once he gets to campus. He was dominating Kossuth HS the time I saw him until the final inning when he ran out of gas. But he had 10K's in the game and was throwing in the mid 80's with a good breaking ball. Both Gridley and Stafford are very competitive players.

Todd, I think we will know way sooner then July as well. Generally, if a kid wants to sign it is done pretty quickly (we saw that last year with Sandberg). The longer it takes to get a deal done the better our odds are. I can't think of a single time where there was a long drawn out process and the kid still went pro. If they are going pro, it's usually a quick process once they are drafted from what I have seen of the process in the past.

AROB44
06-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I can't think of a single time where there was a long drawn out process and the kid still went pro.

Remember the pitcher from Ala that Polk signed (from Thomasville Ala). Cann't remember his name but he signed at the very last minute (August, I belive).

Homedawg
06-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I can't think of a single time where there was a long drawn out process and the kid still went pro.

Remember the pitcher from Ala that Polk signed (from Thomasville Ala). Cann't remember his name but he signed at the very last minute (August, I belive).

Reid Cornelius.

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Vallot is gone fellas. Look for him to go to the Red Sox at pick 33

maroonmania
06-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Didn't the guy that signed a couple of years ago from Missouri? I believe a couple of years ago sign at the very end?

Homedawg
06-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Didn't the guy that signed a couple of years ago from Missouri? I believe a couple of years ago sign at the very end?

William DuPont. He signed in the last week or so.

MarketingBully01
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
So two guys out of a large sample size. If the kid wants to go pro, odds are good the deal gets done quickly.

Homedawg
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
So two guys out of a large sample size. If the kid wants to go pro, odds are good the deal gets done quickly.

If you are goin to sign you should sign early. Otherwise you've wasted a year and only get 2 years of pro ball that you wouldn't have gotten by going to college. Cornelius situation was different, he would have been a first rounder but said I'm going to school. So expos take a stab at him in the 10th or 11th rd. They finally threw "record" money at him at the time. Now that record money is chump change. But it was a record back then.

engie
06-05-2014, 09:23 PM

??

engie
06-05-2014, 09:44 PM
40th overall... He gone...

Todd4State
06-05-2014, 09:50 PM

It just depends. It's a negotiation. Some get done quickly and some go down to the wire. Heck, they let Kirk Presley go past the deadline.

Smackdawg
06-05-2014, 09:52 PM
40th overall. He gone.

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2014, 09:53 PM

dang it, I missed by 7 picks. I need to shape up

Todd4State
06-05-2014, 09:58 PM
dang it, I missed by 7 picks. I need to shape up

Your Internet cred will take a hit, but just don't post for a couple of days and you'll recover before long.**

Political Hack
06-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Congrats to Chase. Hell of an accomplishment to be snagged in the 1st out of high school. Wish him the best.