PDA

View Full Version : Enough about Freeze's offense, what about ours

codeDawg
06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
The figurehead OC is gone and now it's apparent that Mullen is completely running the show. He has trusted advisors in senior positions. He's added a specialized QB coach, and he has (finally) relinquished special teams responsibilities.

Position wise, we are going to have a top rated QB, a stable of capable running backs playing their natural positions, and some capable receivers.

The pieces are all in place. What adjustments from last year are going to put us over? Do we see some of the up-temo offense our competitors are using to their advantage, or are we contrarian and grind it out? What's the next schematic wrinkle Dan brings to the table? Can an MSU QB throw a quick slant on blitzing downs? Can an MSU receiver catch a back-side shoulder pass? Will Mullen develop a taste for the grass in Death Valley?

What's in store for MSU's offense this fall?

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
The figurehead OC is gone and now it's apparent that Mullen is completely running the show. He has trusted advisors in senior positions. He's added a specialized QB coach, and he has (finally) relinquished special teams responsibilities.

Position wise, we are going to have a top rated QB, a stable of capable running backs playing their natural positions, and some capable receivers.

The pieces are all in place. What adjustments from last year are going to put us over? Do we see some of the up-temo offense our competitors are using to their advantage, or are we contrarian and grind it out? What's the next schematic wrinkle Dan brings to the table? Can an MSU QB throw a quick slant on blitzing downs? Can an MSU receiver catch a back-side shoulder pass? Will Mullen develop a taste for the grass in Death Valley?

What's in store for MSU's offense this fall?

Just RTGDB baby

Honestly, I think our offense is going to be pretty good. Dak's elusiveness changes things. Teams will have to contain him first, which should open up some routes.

We will see a ton of play action and freezing the LBs. Teams simply have to respect Dak's ability to run the ball. He may only run it 5-10 times a game this fall, but his speed and elusiveness make it where that play could go for a TD no matter where we are on the field. They must respect it or we will burn them on the biggest play of the game whenever we want.

War Machine Dawg
06-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Just RTGDB baby

Honestly, I think our offense is going to be pretty good. Dak's elusiveness changes things. Teams will have to contain him first, which should open up some routes.

We will see a ton of play action and freezing the LBs. Teams simply have to respect Dak's ability to run the ball. He may only run it 5-10 times a game this fall, but his speed and elusiveness make it where that play could go for a TD no matter where we are on the field. They must respect it or we will burn them on the biggest play of the game whenever we want.

+infinity

MSU is successful when we're a physical, ground-and-pound team. We've got all the pieces to be that this coming season, but the one thing I see that I haven't seen in a long time, and maybe ever for us, is a deep, talented group of WRs with size. We can mix-and-match in ways we haven't been able to before and may have the most underrated WR in the SEC in Tubby Lewis.

But what will really be the difference is Dak. It's been said ad nauseum, and I'm afraid to say it due to the damn dead Indians that seem hell bent on making us look stupid every time we get our hopes up, but we just haven't had a QB with his combination of tools and leadership at MSU before. Or if we have, they haven't had the supporting cast around them to allow them to flourish. Dak has that, so long as we can stay healthy on the OL. That is the one area of the team where we can't really afford injuries.

bulldawg28
06-05-2014, 06:50 AM
We should be a balanced offensive juggernaut this fall. Running and passing should be working great this fall. I know alot of you want us to just run the ball which we had to in the past because our WR's were suspect.That's not the case any longer we have legitimate SEC Wr's and TE's. We finally have the pieces to a be an efficient offense. Also, being a predominant run offense hurts recruiting when it comes to offensive skills players. They don't want to come to a heavy run team. These kids eat to score and they should if they have the ability. I believe Mullen is going to Let them loose this fall.

CadaverDawg
06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
3 weeks ago my primary concerns were OL depth and the kicking game. Mullen addressed the kicking game it appears with the transfer from Michigan.

So now, it's all about OL in my mind. If our OL provides us a good enough push to run the ball somewhat effectively vs the big boys....we could potentially (I can't believe I'm saying this) win the freaking West. We don't have to have the best OL in the league, but they have to be solid. In the past, OL had to be great in order for us to compete... But now we have a QB and WR's, so the true threat of a passing game will provide a little pressure relief from the OL. We just need to have zero weak links on the line. Some may disagree, but I feel like Clausell, Clayborne, Day, Malone, Beckwith, and Senior are all above average SEC linemen. If Robinson is getting valuable minutes for any reason, we will not reach our ceiling IMO.

FISHDAWG
06-05-2014, 08:46 AM
I think (hope) we will get better production from our wide outs (stretch the field) because opposing teams will be keying on the slot position .... Derunya has a year under his belt and was productive last yr, ....another has to step up and make plays ... I think this is imperative for the offense to compete at a higher level

War Machine Dawg
06-05-2014, 10:04 AM
3 weeks ago my primary concerns were OL depth and the kicking game. Mullen addressed the kicking game it appears with the transfer from Michigan.

So now, it's all about OL in my mind. If our OL provides us a good enough push to run the ball somewhat effectively vs the big boys....we could potentially (I can't believe I'm saying this) win the freaking West. We don't have to have the best OL in the league, but they have to be solid. In the past, OL had to be great in order for us to compete... But now we have a QB and WR's, so the true threat of a passing game will provide a little pressure relief from the OL. We just need to have zero weak links on the line. Some may disagree, but I feel like Clausell, Clayborne, Day, Malone, Beckwith, and Senior are all above average SEC linemen. If Robinson is getting valuable minutes for any reason, we will not reach our ceiling IMO.

Don't forget Jocquell Johnson as a guy who could also potentially give us some quality minutes and/or start. But if we have any more than 2 significant OL injuries max, we're screwed.

CadaverDawg
06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Don't forget Jocquell Johnson as a guy who could also potentially give us some quality minutes and/or start. But if we have any more than 2 significant OL injuries max, we're screwed.

Yea, the Jucos were what I was referring to about "watching" for. The others are known...if we get anything from the Jucos it will be icing on the cake.

Coach34
06-05-2014, 02:29 PM
We should be a balanced offensive juggernaut this fall. Running and passing should be working great this fall. I know alot of you want us to just run the ball which we had to in the past because our WR's were suspect.That's not the case any longer we have legitimate SEC Wr's and TE's. We finally have the pieces to a be an efficient offense. Also, being a predominant run offense hurts recruiting when it comes to offensive skills players. They don't want to come to a heavy run team. These kids eat to score and they should if they have the ability. I believe Mullen is going to Let them loose this fall.

You can spout balance this and balance that- but bottom line we have the RTGDF. And be able to run it in crucial situations. If we are doing that- the passing game will be fine with the pieces we have. And they will make plenty of big plays

jumbo
06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I say this every year, but I'd like to see the read option TE shovel run more.

Pollodawg
06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Every bit of it starts with the run

bulldawg28
06-05-2014, 11:23 PM
You can spout balance this and balance that- but bottom line we have the RTGDF. And be able to run it in crucial situations. If we are doing that- the passing game will be fine with the pieces we have. And they will make plenty of big plays

That's common sense that you have to be able to run the ball in certain situations. However, running the ball only hasn't gotten MSU Jack squat in the SEC other than stats.

SheltonChoked
06-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Agreed coach.

With a mobile qb, several big fast rbs, and an ol that can get a little push when we need it, the passing game will icing.

Now with derunnya, tubby, and the rest of our wr, we have the home run threat we have lacked since moulds left. And our best chance at Atlanta.

But it starts with rtgdf