PDA

View Full Version : Freeze's new offense base read

BeastMan
06-04-2014, 04:26 PM
http://3rdand57.com/freeze-gives-an-inside-look-at-his-offense/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v3R1Ipl_Ag

The video is in my post as well as are my thoughts on what I think it means. What are the defensive wrinkles yall think SEC teams will throw at the Rebs to combat this read off a 2nd level player?

MSUDawg4Life
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4342422/skateboarding-bulldog-o.gif

I'd rather not say. Would rather let Freeze think he's come up with a brilliant scheme.

BeastMan
06-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Ha. I think it's interesting b/c it tells me 3 things (1) He wants to limit Bo's hits (2) they want to heavily involve Treadwell (duh) (3) reading the 2nd level puts more focus down the field

State82
06-04-2014, 04:50 PM
We can speculate all we want. But I bet Geoff Collins remains mum on the subject.

thedawg
06-04-2014, 04:51 PM
This isnt new.. its just a new way of packaging it.... The response is to play games with the read man. Make the quarterback think he reads one thing when you are doing something else. Get him confused and pick six the stick route.

thedawg
06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I would like to add that reading second level players is risky imo. Its one thing to read a DE when all they can do is sit or squeeze. Its quite another to be reading a linebacker that can do alot of different things. He can zone blitz, blitz, drop, sit. Not to mention they are alot faster than DE. Make no mistake Bmac and Wells are freakish enough to slow play that and make both plays. Julius Peppers is freakish enough to make both plays at DE but DEs like that are lot more rare than linebackers that can fly.

jimbo352
06-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Good write up man. I know it's Hugh Freeze, but I love chalk board talk like this. No matter the offense...

They didn't go into any ground breaking information in that video. Pretty basic stuff there, but interesting none the less.

Treadwell is a beast. There's no denying that really, so I don't think he's going to get left alone very often. Engram is the key to everything as far as their offensive weapons are concerned. Their other wide outs are simply average, dependable at times, but average.... I think they're depending on Evan to be their #2 receiving threat. If he can cause havoc in the middle, Treadwell will get good looks outside. It's really pretty simple... Will be interesting to see how healthy Bo is, and whether or not he was able to build strength this off season.

Of course... This all depends on whether or not their OL can stay healthy. If they can't, they'll be in a world of sh!t.

gtowndawg
06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
1. What the heck is he wearing (pants)?
2. Is this common to release videos showing how you plan on running your new offense in the upcoming year? I honestly don't know, I'm asking. I guess I just assumed you keep that stuff close to the vest and make people watch film and try and figure it out. They must have a reason for recording it and releasing it though, right?

smootness
06-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Seems to me like they're making Bo Wallace make a lot of reads and decisions. I like that for opposing teams.

Also, this shows how important MLB still is in college football, where running the ball is still such a concern, and why we will likely keep Benardrick McKinney there.

The key to stopping a scheme like this, to me, seems to come primarily down to two things:
1) disguising schemes/blitzes as a defense, as some have alluded to.
2) winning one-on-one matchups. Your defensive players have to be able to know their role, line someone up and tackle them, which really is the primary key to stopping any offense.

It also helps if your defense is athletic and able to change directions well, and ours is. Even if they were to get Treadwell one-on-one with someone like Calhoun and beat him, I like Calhoun's chances of at least slowing Treadwell down enough for Justin Cox to come flying over and make a tackle.

thedawg
06-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Im pretty sure that this video is a year or two old... They have been running the "stick draw" for at least two springs. They may have just released it but they have had this concept for a while. My high school got it from them at their clinic two springs ago and toyed with it last season. Our problem was we didnt have Laquan Treadwell on the backside so everyone eventually rolled to it and took it all away.

Political Hack
06-04-2014, 05:13 PM
they want defenses to play a single safety and they're going to try to confuse LBs? genius. pure genius. revolutionizing football.

know what they don't account for? Havoc. Disruption. This is the SEC. DL win games.

BeastMan
06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Im pretty sure that this video is a year or two old... They have been running the "stick draw" for at least two springs. They may have just released it but they have had this concept for a while. My high school got it from them at their clinic two springs ago and toyed with it last season. Our problem was we didnt have Laquan Treadwell on the backside so everyone eventually rolled to it and took it all away.

Video says it's from may 29th and OM's official FB twitter just tweeted it out the other day

Political Hack
06-04-2014, 05:25 PM

Ole Miss runs it. Auburn runs it right.

Barking 13
06-04-2014, 05:27 PM
they want defenses to play a single safety and they're going to try to confuse LBs? genius. pure genius. revolutionizing football.

know what they don't account for? Havoc. Disruption. This is the SEC. DL win games.

Not taking into consideration Bo laying on the turf...

codeDawg
06-04-2014, 05:43 PM
This whole thing depends on need the MLB to provide run support. The thinking is that they can run it left behind Tunsil, but for how long before he gets another ******l strain?

If the MLB isn't needed in run support, he can take the stick, the S can support coverage on Treadwell, the right side has plenty of coverage, and the DL takes Wallace's lunch money.

mic
06-04-2014, 05:43 PM
1. What the heck is he wearing (pants)?
2. Is this common to release videos showing how you plan on running your new offense in the upcoming year? I honestly don't know, I'm asking. I guess I just assumed you keep that stuff close to the vest and make people watch film and try and figure it out. They must have a reason for recording it and releasing it though, right?

Lets hope they are pants and not the 1980's coaching shorts. And can he also mix in a belt

CadaverDawg
06-04-2014, 05:57 PM
I just hope he doesn't find a way to incorporate his molars into the offense...they could shred a defense

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Why is a team with a weak armed QB and a thin and poor offensive line trying to throw down field more. The last think I would want to do with Bo Wallace is ask him to win a game for me.

Barking 13
06-04-2014, 06:11 PM
I just hope he doesn't find a way to incorporate his molars into the offense...they could shred a defense

PoTD

CadaverDawg
06-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Why is a team with a weak armed QB and a thin and poor offensive line trying to throw down field more. The last think I would want to do with Bo Wallace is ask him to win a game for me.

Truth is, they're trying to do the opposite. They're thinking people will keep a safety over Paidwell, and Captain Bubble Screen can just do his thing on the other side. That's why Freeze tried to act like Paidwell was the primary target...when he's actually option 4 behind 2 screens or a handoff

Boomer15
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
A lot of teams do this. Ohio state does it as well. Tough to defend when done right with the right guys. It's definitely nothing new.

Dawgcentral
06-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Looks familiar. Also looks like he thinks the opposition will be playing with one LB and one safety. Looks to me like this can be defended with a 5 man rush and everyone dropping into coverage.

Political Hack
06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Looks familiar. Also looks like he thinks the opposition will be playing with one LB and one safety. Looks to me like this can be defended with a 5 man rush and everyone dropping into coverage.

they'll never know who the Mike is against Collins. Game over.

BeastMan
06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Let's keep in mind that this is just a base read. They will do a ton of different stuff. I just find it interesting b/c you can identify some of OM's major objectives by looking at these base reads.

thf24
06-04-2014, 08:32 PM
All I'm thinking while watching that is that they need to make sure they can block the first level players before they think about what to do with the second level players. Seriously, reading guys down the field is the least of your worries if you're getting blown up at the line of scrimmage.

scottycameron
06-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Gotta admit I'm digging the shorts. I don't know for sure that they are shorts but the polyester coach shorts with no belt bring back some sweet memories from the late 70s. (dickweed probably has slacks on but don't spoil it for me).
One thing I took from it is it emphasizes the value of a true lockdown corner - worth their weight in gold. Stick him on the #1 guy and you completely eliminate that whole side of the field. Think about it, one 180 lb guy shuts half the field down for an offense.

Political Hack
06-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Let's keep in mind that this is just a base read. They will do a ton of different stuff. I just find it interesting b/c you can identify some of OM's major objectives by looking at these base reads.

no doubt. they want to do 3 main things. Pinch those and confuse the scheme. Also makes gap containment assignments pretty damn easy depending on where Treadwell and the TE line up. Also a pretty good breakdown of why a guy like Smoot or Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey are so valuable.

preachermatt83
06-04-2014, 09:11 PM
All I'm thinking while watching that is that they need to make sure they can block the first level players before they think about what to do with the second level players. Seriously, reading guys down the field is the least of your worries if you're getting blown up at the line of scrimmage.

This all day! Our Defensive line would wreak havoc and not give them enough time to even think.

scottycameron
06-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot one thing…That was an OUTSTANDING write up beastman. And thanks for posting it.

PassInterference
06-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Couldn't watch. I hate that Freeze SOB.

Todd4State
06-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Even if the safety goes to the middle third of the field, he can still go over and defend Treadwell along with the CB correct?

It seems to me like he is assuming that the safety is going to attack the side with the screens automatically.

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Even if the safety goes to the middle third of the field, he can still go over and defend Treadwell along with the CB correct?

It seems to me like he is assuming that the safety is going to attack the side with the screens automatically.

I don't question the Xs and Os portion of this. The guy is an SEC football coach for goodness sakes. I would assume that the Xs and Os are sound. The biggest problem I see is that he doesn't have the QB or offensive line to execute it.

BeastMan
06-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot one thing…That was an OUTSTANDING write up beastman. And thanks for posting it.

Thank you sir. Glad you enjoyed

BeastMan
06-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Putting a safety 1-deep and asking a CB to go man on Treadwell isn't much help besides over the top. But let's say they ran Engram on a streak right at the safety. That's a lot of deep pressure on 1 safety.

What MSU and some others did was go 3-man front in a 2 deep look. That can cover all those combo routes pretty easily but you have to be able to stop the run. If OM can run you out of the 3-man front, you're back at square one.

smootness
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Putting a safety 1-deep and asking a CB to go man on Treadwell isn't much help besides over the top. But let's say they ran Engram on a streak right at the safety. That's a lot of deep pressure on 1 safety.

What MSU and some others did was go 3-man front in a 2 deep look. That can cover all those combo routes pretty easily but you have to be able to stop the run. If OM can run you out of the 3-man front, you're back at square one.

Nick James, Chris Jones, Kaleb Eulls/Ryan Brown, Benardrick McKinney. Your run game = stopped.

jumbo
06-05-2014, 09:37 AM
let BMac lineup at DE and when the ball is snapped he drops into coverage and the LB blitzes. Keep are CBs on the line jamming Treadwell like we did in the Egg Bowl.

Bo reads the LB blitz but doesn't see BMac drop so he throws the stick route and it's intercepted (again).

Jack Lambert
06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Either Freeze is stupid or he just not telling the truth. Why would you give anyting away like that? "Ok everyone we are going to play, here is what we are going to throw at you"

jumbo
06-05-2014, 10:14 AM
considering last years offense was screen pass right, screen pass left, zone read. I don't think he's too worried about other teams "figuring out" his "scheme"

BeastMan
06-05-2014, 10:31 AM
let BMac lineup at DE and when the ball is snapped he drops into coverage and the LB blitzes. Keep are CBs on the line jamming Treadwell like we did in the Egg Bowl.

Bo reads the LB blitz but doesn't see BMac drop so he throws the stick route and it's intercepted (again).

Bingo. Zone blitz gives those quick reads fits. Freeze even acknowledged that first off. Said he has to feel like his line can handle zone read.

I love the X's and O's of coaching. The cat and mouse game. You could blitz BMac w/corners jammed and Wallace reads inside stuck route. Bam, DE dropped into coverage on zone blitz. Play blown up. That was just one example but it will be back and forth all game.

Your post was dead on. It's not like defenses cannot stop the 2nd level read philosophy but it's interesting to see that he's attempting to evolve to combat what he thinks SEC defenses caught up to.

Political Hack
06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Either Freeze is stupid or he just not telling the truth. Why would you give anyting away like that? "Ok everyone we are going to play, here is what we are going to throw at you"

everybody knows that's what they do. he's just explaining it to regular fans. there's not an SEC coach out there that couldn't have diagramed that for you after watching a quarter of one of their games. You could even look at one two minute drive and immediately see what they want to do.

BeastMan
06-05-2014, 10:49 AM
everybody knows that's what they do. he's just explaining it to regular fans. there's not an SEC coach out there that couldn't have diagramed that for you after watching a quarter of one of their games. You could even look at one two minute drive and immediately see what they want to do.

Hate to sound cliche but it's really about execution and adjustments. MSU's base offenses isn't some big secret either

Political Hack
06-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Hate to sound cliche but it's really about execution and adjustments. MSU's base offenses isn't some big secret either

no doubt. it's about creating matchups and winning them. they have a few guys who are really good at that, but defense know better than to give them Laquon over the top. They'll give them 180 lb RB on a dive without a lead blocker between the tackles. They'll give them a one on one with their TE isolated on a S in a 9 route. They'll give them the WR screen sometimes too depending on who is out there to come up and tackle. Until they have a bruiser at RB, a Malcolm Johnson, and Sammy Watkins as their #2 WR, it's not going to work as well as they want.

State's personnel fits the offensive scheme better than theirs does IMO.

thedawg
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
there are no big secrets for any team... search for fishduck on youtube and you will get awesome videos of oregons offense... its really really simple with a wrinkle here and there... it all comes down to execution, motivation, and ultimately talent.

Coach34
06-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Good write-up Steve

I like the concept and they will have some success doing it. But as has been mentioned- confusing the QB will be a premium. Lots of pre-snap movement by the D will be taking place. Lots of late shifts defensively will also take place- especially in the Secondary to confuse Bo Dirt as well as change his read on the fly.

3 man fronts will also be most certainly something they have to deal with. If teh NG is whipping the Center's ass on the Inside Zone- it will really hurt the play at its inception. Can OM block teams playing a 3-2 inside the Box? They couldnt Bama last year.

Coach34
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
One of my favorite plays is run off the screen to the strong side- you throw the screen and throw the screen- getting the CB's to come up and attack- and then the next time you tell the TE to fake the block and just keep going down the sideline. Hit him deep for the big play

BeastMan
06-05-2014, 02:52 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking Coach, as far as the TE. They'll find a way to work him in based off those base reads. Like you said, a lot of it will boil down to how well they block the interior since that's where the first read is

Dawg61
06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
They'll never get Treadwell left alone 1 v 1 without anyone else protecting the over the top but for discussion purposes let's say they do. That would then require a QB who has the arm strength and accuracy to make that throw and Bo is not that QB.