PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Signee

MsStateBaseball
06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Welcome, Josh Lovelady. He is 6-0 190 catcher out of Shelton State CC. He is from Prattville. I knew we would get another JC catcher.

smootness
06-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Interesting...I assume he'll redshirt? It seems weird that we would have Collins and two senior Cs, then bring in another junior. If we redshirt him, he would be a junior with Collins, but he would also be in line to take over as the starter after Collins leaves, assuming we don't bring in anyone who is ready to start that quickly behind them.

MsStateBaseball
06-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Well, for one, we don't know if the two Sr catchers will be back. Remember, they are doing exit interviews right now. One of them could see that they won't play next year, I don't know just guessing. And they know what Vallot is thinking too and we don't, at least I don't.

smootness
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Well, for one, we don't know if the two Sr catchers will be back. Remember, they are doing exit interviews right now. One of them could see that they won't play next year, I don't know just guessing. And they know what Vallot is thinking too and we don't, at least I don't.

True.

MsStateBaseball
06-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Remember, Randolph is a redshirt Jr, so he will graduate now. Cohen, the other night on TV, was all in the face of Walker for something. We need 3 catchers on the roster, we have 5 now with Lovelady. Vallot might go pro, Randolph or Walker might leave and that leaves three. We could have a freshman walkon in the fall that will RS and not be on the 35 also.

maroonmania
06-04-2014, 09:35 AM
That pretty much tells me what our staff believes Vallot is thinking.

smootness
06-04-2014, 09:37 AM

I don't think Vallot was going to catch much if he came anyway. If Collins, Vallot, and Garner ended up being the only catchers on the roster next year, that would be a very uncomfortable position for Cohen to be in. He has to have at least one guy on the roster he knows he can bring in if he has to that can get it done defensively.

bulldogcountry1
06-04-2014, 09:40 AM

I think it means Randolph and/or Walker won't be playing anymore.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 09:46 AM

This

BankerDog
06-04-2014, 10:05 AM
If this stat of batting .147 is true that I saw on acc.com, then I'm starting to question some of the evaluations made.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 10:08 AM
He got hit in the jaw and had his jaw wired shut for most of the year.

smootness
06-04-2014, 10:11 AM
If this stat of batting .147 is true that I saw on acc.com, then I'm starting to question some of the evaluations made.

I'm showing .176, but regardless, it tells me he's basically being brought in solely as a potential defensive sub late in games.

BankerDog
06-04-2014, 10:13 AM
You were right, smoot. I missed typed it.

msstate7
06-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm showing .176, but regardless, it tells me he's basically being brought in solely as a potential defensive sub late in games.

Which means we lose our best bat late in games. I hate pulling Collins in close games.

smootness
06-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Which means we lose our best bat late in games. I hate pulling Collins in close games.

It just depends. If you're up 2 with 2 innings left and Collins just hit, and you're bringing in a pitcher who is known to throw breaking balls in the dirt, you're probably better off subbing in a catcher you feel can handle it better.

If it's a one-run game and your starter is still going strong and Collins has handled him well, and he's due to hit the next inning, you probably leave him in.

It just gives you options. I'm guessing this guy will walk on and he may never play an inning. But we know Cohen likes to give himself options.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM

I don't like losing his bat. However, he has to catch better to be in late in games. He's not good. He's Matt carpenter bad. And that's bad. He can throw but that doesn't overcome the pb's. And our pitchers wp's go up by a factor or ten when he's catching.

MsStateBaseball
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
He hit .380 as a senior in HS. If he doesn't SO much which he didn't, then he hits the ball. That is all we want, hit the ball.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-04-2014, 10:50 AM
What did detz and pirtle hit in juco?

msstate7
06-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Makes me wonder where all these juco pitchers are

Pioneer Dawg
06-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Of his 19 hits this year (and before mentioned .176 avg) only 1 of those was for extra bases... A double.

He'll fit right in.

This is really the best we could do?

smootness
06-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Of his 19 hits this year (and before mentioned .176 avg) only 1 of those was for extra bases... A double.

He'll fit right in.

You act as though we're bringing this guy in to be a vital piece of our offense. As I said, he's probably walking on and will probably play very, very little. He's insurance at catcher and a potential defensive sub late in games. That's likely it.

Everybody we sign has to have the potential to be All-SEC?

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Pirtle hit 250 his fr year and worse than that his soph year. I'm too lazy to look it up but he wasn't a great juco hitter needless to say.

Correction. Pirtle hit 325 as a fr. And .222 as a soph. Detz hit 331 as a fr and 324 as a soph.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 11:23 AM

He'll fit right in.

Somewhere in one of the books you've read about baseball it's bound to have a saber matrics stat on a catcher that is poor defensively. I hope I've seen my last year of that.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-04-2014, 11:49 AM
So our best hitter was a .222 out of juco. Got it

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-04-2014, 11:50 AM
He just needs to make his own board and take his band of 3 or idiots with him. We GET IT DUDE. It is like a broken record.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Yep. Which is hard to believe he hit worse his so year. Because all hitters get better- want to know how I know that? Will James told me so.!!!

Pioneer Dawg
06-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Look at the trends for most of the team as a whole.

CadaverDawg
06-04-2014, 12:51 PM
You act as though we're bringing this guy in to be a vital piece of our offense. As I said, he's probably walking on and will probably play very, very little. He's insurance at catcher and a potential defensive sub late in games. That's likely it.

Yea, I would like to see how good of a defensive catcher this guy is. His batting average tells me he is probably a brick wall with a cannon. I love that. Slauter and Ammo had their struggles at the plate too, but their D was impeccable and was worth the sacrifice IMO. I see this as purely defensive though, so anybody poor mouthing it is being ridiculous. This may be Cohen telling Vallot, "see, it's yours for the taking and we're counting on you", or something.

I think we all know that if Cohen was trying to get one of the best all around catchers in Juco...he could get one.

Matter of fact, he was probably so pissed about the passed balls that cost him a Super, that he left Louisiana and found out who the best defensive catcher in all of Juco was, and signed him .

MsStateBaseball
06-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Guess what? Guess where a catcher who is a good defender and can hit go? Hint: it is not to college. Ed Easley's don't come around too often.

Johnson85
06-04-2014, 03:11 PM
...This may be Cohen telling Vallot, "see, it's yours for the taking and we're counting on you", or something...

Or it could be a sign that Cohen feels like he can't honestly tell JUCO C recruits that Vallot is going to go pro.

maroonmania
06-04-2014, 04:48 PM

I would be good with this.