Missouri 20/1
Mississippi State 25/1
Texas A&M 25/1
Arkansas 70/1
Kentucky 80/1
Vanderbilt 250/1

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm at a complete loss at this perception. Look at both rosters and tell why there is a difference?

I realize that we are biased as State fans, but I have, honestly, tried to look at this and remove all bias and question every assumption I have, but have still come no closer to figuring out why there is a perception that Ole Miss has twice as good of odds of going to the SEC championship than MSU.

Look the rosters, look at the schedules, look at who QBs each team, and tell me why this keeps happening?

Covercorner2
06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
#Crootin', Duh! They have to have a better roster, right?**

Drugdog
06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I hope Dan is posting ALL of these low predictions in the locker room.
No Respect. We have to earn it.

Bubb Rubb
06-04-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm at a complete loss at this perception. Look at both rosters and tell why there is a difference?

I realize that we are biased as State fans, but I have, honestly, tried to look at this and remove all bias and question every assumption I have, but have still come no closer to figuring out why there is a perception that Ole Miss has twice as good of odds of going to the SEC championship than MSU.

Look the rosters, look at the schedules, look at who QBs each team, and tell me why this keeps happening?
Don't worry about it. Just place your bet and enjoy twice the payout if it happens. We should all relish being the underdog. It makes it sweeter.

thf24
06-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Comes down to the fact that Ole Miss markets themselves more effectively than us (I won't say "better," since I don't think there would be much merit in pushing ourselves on mostly hot air like they do). That and they're sexier in the eyes of the media due to their recruiting style, so they get more cheap air time. When average fans nationwide who doesn't give a damn about either one turns on ESPN and that's all they see, that's what sticks in their minds. They don't see roster comparisons, or recent records, or signs of a possible implosion due to out-of-control prima donnas; they just see the glam generated by the national media's preferred Mississippi team. Thus, better perception in the eyes of the average, low-information fan.

rabbitthedawg
06-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Auburn is what amazes me at 5/1 and State at 25/1? There is vey little difference in the two squads. Will their luck hold out as last year?

Political Hack
06-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I hope he takes a note from Jackie Wayne's playbook and uses this as a big motivating factor in the offseason.

maroonmania
06-04-2014, 09:42 AM
And their win over LSU are the 2 primary factors. I am very optimistic myself for this year but until we beat a name team while they are having a good year nobody outside the MSU circle will give us much respect.

drunkernhelldawg
06-04-2014, 10:19 AM
I do give credit to Vegas for usually getting it right. However, I really believe that we will be in the hunt for the SEC Championship this season. Recent history probably plays a bigger role than media hype in this. If I happen to pass through Nevada, I might put something on this. I ain't about to start online betting though. I don't wanna need a secretary to help me keep up with my addictions.

smootness
06-04-2014, 10:38 AM

First, we all know this is going to keep happening, so it shouldn't be a surprise. People look at Ole Miss and see Tunsil, Nkemdiche, Treadwell, and Conner, and they see that Prewitt was 1st team AA, and they project them to be really good.

Second, I will never understand why people act like Vegas odds are actual evaluations. The reason Auburn is 5/1 and State is 25/1 is because that's how the general public will view it. Everyone knows Auburn played for the title last year and that we went 6-6, so if they put us at even odds, they would get way too much money on Auburn and not enough on us. They're trying to make money, they're not trying to make accurate predictions.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Tennessee at 15-1?? Uh huh. Right.

smootness
06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Tennessee at 15-1?? Uh huh. Right.

Again, perception. They know schools like Tennessee and Florida will get a good bit of money on them no matter what.

PMDawg
06-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Look at All-American and all SEC teams and you'll see.

PMDawg
06-04-2014, 11:22 AM
So, to Vegas, we'll be heavy underdogs to LSU, Auburn, and Alabama; we'll be toss-ups with A&M and Ole Miss (they will be favored, but not by much since it's a rivalry game); we'll be pretty big favorites over Arkansas, Vandy, and Kentucky. That puts us squarely at 8-4 for a starting point. A couple of upsets in either direction wouldn't be out of the question.

HancockCountyDog
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Via The Greek

Alabama 5/4
LSU 5/2
South Carolina 5/2
Auburn 5/1
Florida 5/1
Georgia 13/2
Ole Miss 12/1
Tennessee 15/1
Missouri 20/1
Mississippi State 25/1
Texas A&M 25/1
Arkansas 70/1
Kentucky 80/1
Vanderbilt 250/1

The best on that entire list is betting against LSU to win the SEC. They will struggle this year.

If I could beat 1K to win 400, that is a solid bet against LSU to win the SEC. With no QB and a depleted defense - thinking they are beating AU and AL and then someone from the East? No chance.

Also, Vegas takes into consideration the schedules. They look at ours and think we aren't beating LSU and AL on the road. They are right about AL and based on history and history alone, right on LSU. They consider us playing the bears in Oxford is an advantage for the bears, which it is, but not that big of one.

We could go 9-3 next year and it be a great season, but if we are 5-3 in the SEC West, we ain't getting to Atlanta.

The biggest issue is that AL's schedule is crazy favorable. Their toughest games are @LSU, @bears, MSU & AU at home. That is pretty doable. At worst, I see one loss.

Homedawg
06-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Again, perception. They know schools like Tennessee and Florida will get a good bit of money on them no matter what.

I agree w everything u said- it's about them making money- and getting proper amounts played at those odds. But we all know they aren't winning the east. They lost there entire ol less one.

HancockCountyDog
06-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I agree w everything u said- it's about them making money- and getting proper amounts played at those odds. But we all know they aren't winning the east. They lost there entire ol less one.

I guess there are easier ways to make 15% on your money, but a 100K bet on UT to not win the SEC and make 15K seems like it is pretty damn easy.

codeDawg
06-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Look at All-American and all SEC teams and you'll see.

This is it. What those individual player rankings do not take into consideration is depth, returning starters, value if the position, strength if schedule, etc.

We have all the x-factors on our side with some position talent in place. This is our year.