PDA

View Full Version : Mathew Britton

Dawg61
06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Alright I've been thinking about this all day and I posted it in the Poll thread but here goes. I think Britton should get a look at SS and possibly as a RP. He played SS all in HS and he sucks up absolutely anything and everything within 10 feet left or right of him plus he might have the best arm on the entire team. An added benefit if he plays short is it puts the weak armed Heck at 2b. What say ye? I realize he'll be a SR. He's too good of a defender to leave at 3b when we have Heck at SS.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Nope, tried it, it failed . Plus we'll have Holland for SS. Why fix what ain't broken?

msstate7
06-03-2014, 07:00 PM
The bigger question surrounding britton to me is whether he has turned the corner as a hitter. He finished the year really strong

Bark
06-03-2014, 07:06 PM
We've got the best defensive SS in the SEC returning in Heck and a .300 hitter to boot. Why would you move Britton to short? He's a badass 3b...leave him.

Dawg61
06-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Nope, tried it, it failed . Plus we'll have Holland for SS. Why fix what ain't broken?

Ha guess I blocked that out of my mind, oh well, carry on

Goat Holder
06-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Where the hell were you all year? This is the dumbest thread on this board in a while.

Dawg61
06-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Where the hell were you all year? This is the dumbest thread on this board in a while.

Anytime you post Goat it immediately becomes the dumbest thread in a while. Quit trying to play the internet bad ass. It doesn't suit you well.

CJDAWG85
06-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Will Heck move to 2nd? What will we do with Humphries?

Coach34
06-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Britton will play 3rd
Look for Heck to move to 2nd- fits his arm better
Fla State transfer is going to be the SS

bulldogcountry1
06-03-2014, 08:45 PM
I really feel like he's going to have a breakout year at the plate. He's got a really smooth swing and came a long way once he was able to settle in, defensively. He can really focus on hitting over the summer and fall and maybe wind up at the top half of the lineup next season.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2014, 09:00 PM
C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Heck
SS- Holland
3B- Britton
LF- Vickerson
CF- Brown
RF- Humphreys
DH- Garner

Batting order goes Something like this...

1. Vickerson
2. Heck
3. Hump
4. Collins
5. Rea
6. Garner
7. Brown
8. Holland
9. Britton

Mainly bc I don't know how Holland will hit yet

ETA: the more I look at that lineup, the more excited I get. That lineup has some pop

basedog
06-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Heck was great at SS. Don't know anything about Holland but I do know what Heck can do!

BankerDog
06-03-2014, 09:16 PM
CJ, Hump is going to play either 1B or RF. His lateral quickness isn't good enough to play 3B, but I do believe he has the glove if really needed to play there. You can increase lateral quickness.

Coach34
06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Heck was great at SS. Don't know anything about Holland but I do know what Heck can do!

Heck was solid- not great. His arm is lacking- just because he doesnt get an error because the runner beat his throw doesnt mean he is doing a good job

MarketingBully01
06-03-2014, 11:49 PM
C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Heck
SS- Holland
3B- Britton
LF- Vickerson
CF- Brown
RF- Humphreys
DH- Garner

Batting order goes Something like this...

1. Vickerson
2. Heck
3. Hump
4. Collins
5. Rea
6. Garner
7. Brown
8. Holland
9. Britton

Mainly bc I don't know how Holland will hit yet

ETA: the more I look at that lineup, the more excited I get. That lineup has some pop

Holland will hit higher in the batting order. Think of Holland as a Pirtle with more power. I think Holland will probably hit 5-6 home runs next year. He does have some power. Not a huge power hitter but he does have some. He also can hit for extra bases. I could see him batting third where Pirtle was.

MarketingBully01
06-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Holland will hit higher in the batting order. Think of Holland as a Pirtle with more power. I think Holland will probably hit 5-6 home runs next year. He does have some power. Not a huge power hitter but he does have some. He also can hit for extra bases. I could see him batting third where Pirtle was.

I looked it up and these were his numbers from this year. I know it's JUCO but still impressive.

.406/4 HR/38 RBI/70 Runs scored/12 doubles/8 triples/ and 26/31 stolen bases in 59 games in JUCO.

messageboardsuperhero
06-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Anyone who thinks Heck was the best defensive SS in the SEC this year because he had the least amount of errors doesn't know very much about defense. Don't get me wrong, I love what Heck gives us- but his range and arm are better suited at 2B, IMO. Hopefully Holland can step in take over SS so that Heck can move to second.

That being said, Heck is solid at SS as well- so we at least know what we have there.

Todd4State
06-04-2014, 02:37 AM
CJ, Hump is going to play either 1B or RF. His lateral quickness isn't good enough to play 3B, but I do believe he has the glove if really needed to play there. You can increase lateral quickness.

Cohen loves Britton. Which means that Humprheys has to move for now.

Todd4State
06-04-2014, 02:40 AM

I think Holland will hit more like 2-3 home runs. Essentially what we got out of Pirtle from a home run standpoint. I am hoping that he hits more doubles and triples than Pirtle though and I do think he can hit around .310.

I don't know anything about the ballpark and CVCC as well, so I don't know it it's a pitchers park.

Todd4State
06-04-2014, 02:45 AM
With Heck and Holland it's simply a matter of us figuring out which one plays second and which one plays shortstop. The fact that we know that Heck can play SS makes this not really a big deal at all.

If Heck moves to second, that's not a knock on him at all- or Holland if he plays second. This is the kind of problem you want to have in your middle infield.

Political Hack
06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Heck's arm and range were built by the almighty to play 2nd... unless there's no one to play SS.

Find a good SS because 3rd, 2nd, and 1st will probably be the best combined defenseless in the SEC.

basedog
06-04-2014, 08:16 AM
What I'm saying is Heck was great for us at SS, regardless of his arm or range when you have a guy who makes all of the routine plays in college baseball, then that's a plus. I want have any problem with him playing 2nd, I just don't know what Holland is going to do next year. I've seen many so called "can't miss" guys come to Msu and not be what the scouting report says about them being a star.

And to say just because Heck leads the SEC in fielding doesn't mean much ain't right! Ok, maybe not great but how about outstanding.

Bubb Rubb
06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
What I'm saying is Heck was great for us at SS, regardless of his arm or range when you have a guy who makes all of the routine plays in college baseball, then that's a plus. I want have any problem with him playing 2nd, I just don't know what Holland is going to do next year. I've seen many so called "can't miss" guys come to Msu and not be what the scouting report says about them being a star.

And to say just because Heck leads the SEC in fielding doesn't mean much ain't right! Ok, maybe not great but how about outstanding.

They have valid points. Sure, Heck makes the routine plays, and that's great. But fielding percentage is a terribly overrated stat. A SS with better range and a stronger arm will make more plays "routine" than Heck will. I'm not knocking him; he was solid. If Holland is an upgrade with arm and/or range, you have to go that way, though. Heck's arm is far better suited for 2B.

maroonmania
06-04-2014, 02:45 PM
With Heck and Holland it's simply a matter of us figuring out which one plays second and which one plays shortstop. The fact that we know that Heck can play SS makes this not really a big deal at all.

If Heck moves to second, that's not a knock on him at all- or Holland if he plays second. This is the kind of problem you want to have in your middle infield.

I think this is the corret attitude to take. Let Holland come in and let's SEE if he can take the job from Heck at SS. I can guarantee you it won't be easy for him to do so but if he's that good and its better to move Heck to 2nd base then great. But you don't see a guy as smooth at SS as Heck everyday even in the SEC. Just like Britton who has more physical tools than Heck but is not nearly as good a SS and is better suited at 3rd.