PDA

View Full Version : 2014 baseball season-recap

MsStateBaseball
06-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I was looking forward to a season with going to at least a Super, then Paul Young had surgery, then Will Cox, etc. Pitchers injuries along with Hann and Robson, eventually got to us, I think. We need a Stratton guy for Friday night and never got one. Young was on the list to make it. Hann and Robson were (are) still developing into good hitters, that took away some depth. But the biggest issue with 2014 is lack of hitters plain and simple. We either struck out or flied out in critical situations throughout the year. We needed a hard ground ball or a line drive. Plus (unbelievable to me) some of our hitters didn't get hot at all. Rea, Henderson, Britton, Detz all struggled most of the season. After two years of great solid defensive play from the catchers position, we struggled.

And yet, with a reduced lineup and struggles offensively, we won 18 SEC games, one short of a title and made it to a championship of a regional. We have a great amount of talent that was young that produced later in the season. We had several new players get better and become all stars. We have gone to 4 regionals in a row. Our talent level has gone up a whole bunch since 2010. Ultra talented Gavin Collins, Reid Humphreys, Austin Sextin, Dakota Hudson, Vance Tatum, will be even better next year.