PDA

View Full Version : The pressure ULL will put on Ole Miss will make them crack.....

Goat Holder
06-02-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't see this ending well for the rebears. They'll be cocky today and tomorrow, but reality will set in quickly for them.

Consequently, this is the last year in a long time where they were actually better than us. Face it, we got dealt a lucky hand, because they would have beaten us up there. This is it for Bianco, he better make the best of it.

FFF
06-02-2014, 09:29 PM
I don't see this ending well for the rebears. They'll be cocky today and tomorrow, but reality will set in quickly for them.

Consequently, this is the last year in a long time where they were actually better than us. Face it, we got dealt a lucky hand, because they would have beaten us up there. This is it for Bianco, he better make the best of it.

Yup. If there was ever a matchup I wanted for OM, it's this one. We would have been swept in Oxford, there's just no way around it. We don't have the sustained hitting to be able to keep up with them... but on the flip side, they have had a hard time scoring runs as of late. The only thing that's kept them winning games is good pitching... but ULL is going to challenge that BIG TIME.

msstate7
06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Yup. If there was ever a matchup I wanted for OM, it's this one. We would have been swept in Oxford, there's just no way around it. We don't have the sustained hitting to be able to keep up with them... but on the flip side, they have had a hard time scoring runs as of late. The only thing that's kept them winning games is good pitching... but ULL is going to challenge that BIG TIME.

Some of that good pitching was Washington doing their best impression of us at bat. Washington missed a ton of hittable pitches that ull's ped team won't. J/k ull. You're good

FFF
06-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Some of that good pitching was Washington doing their best impression of us at bat. Washington missed a ton of hittable pitches that ull's ped team won't. J/k ull. You're good

Watching live stats, I got that impression, too. They'd get runners at the corners with 1 out and fail to score a single run, etc. I've never seen a team that can hit the ball as well as ULL. This team is so flippin' deep and it is so hard to pitch to them, it's unreal.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Washington really did themselves no favors. They just aren't as good as curmudgeon was saying. Washington never capitalized on their chances. We see how ULL capitalizes. Get ready you sorry oxford ****ers...you are not gonna have any fun this weekend.

messageboardsuperhero
06-02-2014, 11:33 PM

I guess I just see it a little differently than you.

UM has some good freshmen, between Bortles, Robinson, Woodman, and Dulin, that's a good core to build around. They also have some good young prospects on the mound. UM should drop off a good bit next year, but they'll stay at least pretty good as long as Bianco/Godwin are there.

That being said, I wouldn't trade our young players/future for theirs...

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Believe it or not, I would have been just as worried about the pitching. Ross having a sore arm would have worried me going forward. That either means pitching a less than 100% Ross or Bracewell.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:37 PM

UM has some good freshmen, between Bortles, Robinson, Woodman, and Dulin, that's a good core to build around. They also have some good young prospects on the mound. UM should drop off a good bit next year, but they'll stay at least pretty good as long as Bianco/Godwin are there.

They lose a TON of experience though. Short term at least. Those guys are going to go from role players to being expected to carry the load. We see what happened to Wes Rea this year without Renfroe.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:40 PM
They lose a TON of experience though. Short term at least. Those guys are going to go from role players to being expected to carry the load. We see what happened to Wes Rea this year without Renfroe.

Rea sucking has nothing to do with Renfroe... Pirtle did okay without him.

Since you like this site so much

http://www.billjamesonline.com/pitching_offense_and_protection/

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:46 PM

"Protection might exist….there are certainly cases when a player’s batting line is influenced heavily by having a great hitter hitting ahead or behind him."

Sounds like they are convinced in their own research.**

RougeDawg
06-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Rea's woes have a ton to do with Renfroe an Frazier Leaving. From Frazier always being on base to pitching around Renfroe, Rea got much better pitches to hit than this year.

Pioneer Dawg
06-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Rea spent most of last year hitting 2 spots away from Renfroe. His protection must be significant!

For Rouge

Heck got on base more than Frazier
Pirtle got on base more than Pirtle 2013

Again.. Rea was 2 spots away from Renfroe... 4 spots away from Frazier.

Let's not go into loony toon land

RougeDawg
06-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Rea spent most of last year hitting 2 spots away from Renfroe. His protection must be significant!

For Rouge

Heck got on base more than Frazier
Pirtle got on base more than Pirtle 2013

Again.. Rea was 2 spots away from Renfroe... 4 spots away from Frazier.

Let's not go into loony toon land

Hmm. Runners on base ahead of anyone increases chances of latter hitter getting a hit. It's baseball.

Let's not forget that pitchers seem to throw more "hitAble" fastball over the plate Pitches with runners on base. Guess that didn't help Rea a single bit. It also helped Detz in the 4 Hole with Rea on 5, but don't be ignorant please. I was generalizing but see I should be more specific for those who can't see "big picture".

Pioneer Dawg
06-03-2014, 12:33 AM
With Pirtle and Detz gone next year he will likely regress even more.

Why was Rea struggling so bad down the stretch down in the 8 hole. That spot usually gets more "hitAble" pitches.

Its a ridiculous claim and I will call it out. Now let the agree or be ridiculed mafia come at me.

AlSwearengen
06-03-2014, 07:17 AM

It isn't just about protection and getting more fastballs, but more about shouldering a bigger load. Some people thrive in that role and some suffer from it.

Saltydog
06-03-2014, 07:58 AM
nt

Goat Holder
06-03-2014, 09:41 AM
nt

They are losing Ellis, Trent and Greenwood at minimum. But, as Ole Miss seems to do, Sam Smith will probably come back and be their ace. Short, Weathersby, Laxer and Buchanan are all OK but not studs.

smootness
06-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Rea did regress as a hitter, there's no doubt about that. I think he lost his confidence and just started flailing at pitches again.

messageboardsuperhero
06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
They are losing Ellis, Trent and Greenwood at minimum. But, as Ole Miss seems to do, Sam Smith will probably come back and be their ace. Short, Weathersby, Laxer and Buchanan are all OK but not studs.

What makes you so sure they're losing Trent? I know he's a draft eligible sophomore, but I haven't seen him skyrocketing up any mock drafts.

Goat Holder
06-03-2014, 09:56 AM
What makes you so sure they're losing Trent? I know he's a draft eligible sophomore, but I haven't seen him skyrocketing up any mock drafts.

Player's dad. At the very least, he'll go if given the opportunity.

HancockCountyDog
06-03-2014, 10:00 AM

The Woodman kid is better than any freshman hitter we have. We need guys like him. He hit .329 this year. The Bortles kid hit a HR and a RBI double yesterday to save their ass.

The Robinson kid is terrible at SS, I don't think he will hold onto the spot. They have another freshman, Bell something that hit over .300 this year too.

Anyone that thinks we have passed Bianco is just nuts. They are recruiting at a high level, and though Bianco can't get his team to O.M.A.H.A, he will put a decent team on the field every year, and some years the team will be really good. This is one of those years.

The key for them next year is if the Trent kid comes back. He is a draft eligible sophomore, but he isn't really that big of a MLB prospect. If he comes back, they will probably have 2/3 of their weekend rotation back. That is a good start.

My biggest problem is that I know Scott Weathersby family, and you couldn't meet a nicer kid. He basically walked on at Ole Miss, he really didn't get a fair shake in first two years, but he hung on and yesterday it all paid off for him. Great kid, great family. Just hate that he is playing for that school.

HancockCountyDog
06-03-2014, 10:03 AM

The key is Trent, Bousfield, and Orvis. If they stay, they will be really good. If they go, they will struggle. I will be shocked if those three guys get drafted top 10 rounds - they might, but i don't see any projection that has them going early.

ScottH
06-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Best move they have made is the hiring of the assistant Goodwin (sp?)

Probably gets hired away this year but he has had an impact.

messageboardsuperhero
06-03-2014, 10:08 AM
The Woodman kid is better than any freshman hitter we have. We need guys like him. He hit .329 this year. The Bortles kid hit a HR and a RBI double yesterday to save their ass.

The Robinson kid is terrible at SS, I don't think he will hold onto the spot. They have another freshman, Bell something that hit over .300 this year too.

Anyone that thinks we have passed Bianco is just nuts. They are recruiting at a high level, and though Bianco can't get his team to O.M.A.H.A, he will put a decent team on the field every year, and some years the team will be really good. This is one of those years.

The key for them next year is if the Trent kid comes back. He is a draft eligible sophomore, but he isn't really that big of a MLB prospect. If he comes back, they will probably have 2/3 of their weekend rotation back. That is a good start.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except this. Collins is every bit as good as Woodman. Remember that Woodman was only counted on to be in the bottom of the order and had a lot more protection in front of him, whereas Collins was asked to carry a huge part of the load for us this year.

ETA: Just checked, and Woodman and Collins's SEC only numbers are almost identical.

messageboardsuperhero
06-03-2014, 10:19 AM
One part of this matchup that works in ULL's favor is that none of UM's starters have been big strike out pitchers- really, no one on their staff has, outside of maybe Weathersby and occasionally Laxer. When ULL puts the ball in play on that turf and gets the wheels going in their running game, watch out. Pitching to contact doesn't work against them unless you can get REALLY weak contact. That's why we couldn't stop them from doing shit all weekend until Lindgren and Holder got rolling- and more importantly, getting people out without letting them hit it hard in play.

I really don't know who's going to win that series, but ULL's turf field should be a huge advantage for them.

HancockCountyDog
06-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said, except this. Collins is every bit as good as Woodman. Remember that Woodman was only counted on to be in the bottom of the order and had a lot more protection in front of him, whereas Collins was asked to carry a huge part of the load for us this year.

ETA: Just checked, and Woodman and Collins's SEC only numbers are almost identical.

Probably right. I really think that Collins needs to move from C though. His defense just takes away from his hitting in my opinion.

TheRef
06-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Ole Miss fans are uber-confident about their chances against the UL-L lineup. Says that since their Fri and Sat starters have only 1 loss between them in SEC play that they will sweep and that's it. I just keep reminding them that we haven't seen that kind of firepower in the SEC from top to bottom of the lineup.

HancockCountyDog
06-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Ole Miss fans are uber-confident about their chances against the UL-L lineup. Says that since their Fri and Sat starters have only 1 loss between them in SEC play that they will sweep and that's it. I just keep reminding them that we haven't seen that kind of firepower in the SEC from top to bottom of the lineup.

I didn't see much firepower last night from this alleged big time lineup. By my count they scored 3 runs in the 3rd inning on one gosh damn hit. They scored another run in the 4th on 0 damn hits. They scored their final run, on one damn hit.

So before we annoint this ULL team as the greatest hitting team in college baseball history, lets look at what we ****ing gave them last night.

5 runs on 2 mutha ****ing hits.

Now, I still think the bears lose because Bianco doesn't have balls, but ULL's offense didn't impress me last night. It didn't impress me against JSU either.

Goat Holder
06-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Our defense is better than the bears'. Especially infield play. Overbey will account for a few errors himself. Britton robbed ULL of a few hits himself.