PDA

View Full Version : Hitting

EdDawg
06-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Now that the season is over will anyone be held responsible for our awful bats and approaches this year? Sure we picked it up at the end, but with Pirtle gone we are back to square one. Now I'm not saying fire Cohen, but do we go find a new hitting coach?

Spiderman
06-02-2014, 09:09 PM
We better go find people 6 feet or over and more than 175 lbs

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I just cannot understand the logic behind "there will be less HR so I will only try to get singles hitters"... With less power, power becomes EVEN MORE VALUABLE. DOn't tell me it cant be done. Look at freaking ULL and Ole Miss. Cutting down swings because the bats are deader... Damn thats ****ing stupid.

That his logic is "the balls are changing and I want it to happen later so I can recruit for it" concerns me to no end. Go get baseball players. Go get guys that can hit.... Jeez its frustrating with John Cohen a lot of the time on shit thats easy and simple

MetEdDawg
06-02-2014, 09:15 PM
We will automatically get better hitting next year with who we replace folks with. Pirtle maybe not, but Holland will come in and I think can hit .300. Collins the whole year, Hump most of the year,and Brown the whole year next year will raise our BA quite a bit. And for as bad as Vickerson was, he picked it up towards the end of the year and ended up hitting .270. If he can keep that up he's got .280-.290 potential. We should be more powerful next year at the plate and should hit for a much better average.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Now that the season is over will anyone be held responsible for our awful bats and approaches this year? Sure we picked it up at the end, but with Pirtle gone we are back to square one. Now I'm not saying fire Cohen, but do we go find a new hitting coach?

I'm sure Cohen will take responsibility for it, and I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis in the offseason. We won't go out and get a hitting coach- or at least I would be very surprised if we did. Our team was right at the league average (a little bit below) as far as hitting. The problem was we had too many 3 run, 11 hit games.

MetEdDawg
06-02-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm sure Cohen will take responsibility for it, and I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis in the offseason. We won't go out and get a hitting coach- or at least I would be very surprised if we did. Our team was right at the league average (a little bit below) as far as hitting. The problem was we had too many 3 run, 11 hit games.

I've got to think that changes next year. Add Holland to the lineup and add more PT from Brown, Hump, and Collins. Plus Swinarski, maybe more Garner, and possibly Rooker too. Think we become more balanced by adding some power. Heck and Holland can go 1-2, If Rea comes back, we can go with some combo of Collins, Rea, and Hump 3-4-5. Then some combo of Brown, Vick, Britton, and whoever our DH is 6-7-8-9. I think that's got a lot of potential.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:27 PM
I just cannot understand the logic behind "there will be less HR so I will only try to get singles hitters"... With less power, power becomes EVEN MORE VALUABLE. DOn't tell me it cant be done. Look at freaking ULL and Ole Miss. Cutting down swings because the bats are deader... Damn thats ****ing stupid.

That his logic is "the balls are changing and I want it to happen later so I can recruit for it" concerns me to no end. Go get baseball players. Go get guys that can hit.... Jeez its frustrating with John Cohen a lot of the time on shit thats easy and simple

Well, if you understood baseball and hitting it would probably help you understand that better. Cohen adjusting to the changes in the game offensively are a big reason why we had our run last year.

Ole Miss was not a good hitting team last year. They're good now because they have a ton of experience. They have basically the same team as they had last year.

ULL has the type of team that I would like to have- they can hit home runs and they can play small ball and use speed. They also bunt- so I find it pretty funny that you are using them as an example. Good to see you finally come around though.

We can not ask a guy like Seth Heck, Pirtle, CT to be home run hitters in a big ballpark and expect to have good results. That's what happened to Alex Detz- he stopped hitting line drives and using the whole field, and while his home runs went up a little bit, he wasn't nearly as productive overall.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:30 PM
They also bunt- so I find it pretty funny that you are using them as an example

Have you seen us try to bunt. Yeah Cohen would like it too but calling something and watching it fail is not honorable.

That you are comparing our bunting to theirs is funny

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:31 PM
That's what happened to Alex Detz- he stopped hitting line drives

Cohen finally did his work on Detz

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
I've got to think that changes next year. Add Holland to the lineup and add more PT from Brown, Hump, and Collins. Plus Swinarski, maybe more Garner, and possibly Rooker too. Think we become more balanced by adding some power. Heck and Holland can go 1-2, If Rea comes back, we can go with some combo of Collins, Rea, and Hump 3-4-5. Then some combo of Brown, Vick, Britton, and whoever our DH is 6-7-8-9. I think that's got a lot of potential.

I agree. Our young guys need to go off and have good summers and get some at bats. To me, Holland is a little bit safer than most JUCO guys since he played at and had success at Florida State. We need him to basically replace Pirtle. Britton needs to continue to improve- and he made a lot of progress as a hitter this year. Rea needs to come back motivated. We also need Robson to come back healthy. He's better than our fans give him credit for. Seth Heck should be as good or better.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Have you seen us try to bunt. Yeah Cohen would like it too but calling something and watching it fail is not honorable.

That you are comparing our bunting to theirs is funny

You obviously need to look up the definition of the word compare.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Rea needs to come back motivated to coach our team back to Omaha

I agree I think his presence around the program will be good for the club

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Cohen finally did his work on Detz

Right. Cohen told him to stop doing what was working and do what you said we should- which didn't work. Maybe he was trying to teach you something since he was your favorite player.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I agree I think his presence around the program will be good for the club

Why did you change my quote?

So, you want more power but advocate us making our player with the most power potential a coach?

MetEdDawg
06-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I agree. Our young guys need to go off and have good summers and get some at bats. To me, Holland is a little bit safer than most JUCO guys since he played at and had success at Florida State. We need him to basically replace Pirtle. Britton needs to continue to improve- and he made a lot of progress as a hitter this year. Rea needs to come back motivated. We also need Robson to come back healthy. He's better than our fans give him credit for. Seth Heck should be as good or better.

I think a lot of people forget Seth Heck was a .300 hitter this year. I think he's a great leadoff guy and even if he stays the same that's a huge help. And totally agree on Holland. .406 BA at CVCC this year with college experience like you said at FSU. Robson is a wild card to me. I don't know what to expect from him next year. He would really shore up some experience/depth issues in the OF that we have next year.

War Machine Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:41 PM

That's because we have too many F'n singles hitters and need 3-4 hits to score just 1 run. 12 hits = 3 runs. That's about right for this lineup and why so many of us (you included early in the season) hollered for changes to get a couple more power bats into the lineup. And aGAIN, I'm not necessarily talking HR power. I'm talking power into the gaps and the ability to hit doubles. Screw team BA if all those hits aren't resulting in runs.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Right. Cohen told him to stop doing what was working and do what you said we should- which didn't work. Maybe he was trying to teach you something since he was your favorite player.

BB% drops from 17 to 13 percent...

Fly ball% up to 25% from 21

GB% up to 24% from 18

LD% down to 24% from 30%

#Cohening

ScottH
06-02-2014, 09:44 PM
How about this guy for hitting coach?

http://ragincajuns.com/coaches.aspx?rc=546&path=baseball

Robichaux's 2010 contract was only for 120K plus some incentives so you know the hitting coach is affordable.

The two Cajun players I talked to Friday gave this guy sole credit for their offense. I had never heard of him.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:44 PM
That's because we have too many F'n singles hitters ...and limit our opportunities to get them in by cutting the outs the other team has to make.

I agree we need to force the opponents to make as many outs as possible going forward

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
That's because we have too many F'n singles hitters and need 3-4 hits to score just 1 run. 12 hits = 3 runs. That's about right for this lineup and why so many of us (you included early in the season) hollered for changes to get a couple more power bats into the lineup. And aGAIN, I'm not necessarily talking HR power. I'm talking power into the gaps and the ability to hit doubles. Screw team BA if all those hits aren't resulting in runs.

Exactly my point. And on top of it, Rea didn't step up and that was the ONE guy we were counting on for power. Gavin and Humphreys were always wild cards to me.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:46 PM

Robichaux's 2010 contract was only for 120K plus some incentives so you know the hitting coach is affordable.

The two Cajun players I talked to Friday gave this guy sole credit for their offense. I had never heard of him.

The way Cohen HAS TO meddle with the offense, he would go insane giving the reigns over to someone else... even if that guy has the success we are seeing.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:47 PM
BB% drops from 17 to 13 percent...

Fly ball% up to 25% from 21

GB% up to 24% from 18

LD% down to 24% from 30%

#Cohening

Doing what Will James says do and then getting worse.

#Jamesing

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Exactly my point. And on top of it, Rea didn't step up and that was the ONE guy we were counting on for power. Gavin and Humphreys were always wild cards to me.

Is it Rea "didn't step up" or wasn't coached up to be the best hitter he could be?

Collins seemed to handle it fine. Its a crime that we didn't see what Garner and Hump could have done

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:49 PM

There's a reason he's at ULL and no one is going to touch him. I'll leave it at that.

If you look at his bio there are some very odd things that should make you wonder.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Doing what Will James says do and then getting worse.

#Jamesing

Good lord COHEN WAS THE ONE COACHING HIM NOT ME

He went from 14 doubles to 5... Not after Will James coached him for an entire offseason, but John Cohen.

Failure is NEVER attributed to Cohen with you is it?

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Is it Rea "didn't step up" or wasn't coached up to be the best hitter he could be?

Collins seemed to handle it fine. Its a crime that we didn't see what Garner and Hump could have done

He didn't step up. He didn't have Renfroe to take the load off of him.

Collins was up and down. To be expected from a freshman.

Garner almost struck out every at bat in SEC play. Even his double was almost caught.

Humphreys can't hit RH pitching right now and he has to work on that.

How do you explain Pirtle going from .215 in JUCO to MSU hero and .300+ hitter? Renfroe going from hitting .100 as a freshman to a first round pick? Adam Frazier hitting .220 as a freshman and then becoming one of the top hitters in school history? Seth Heck? Derrick Armstrong improved. Jarrod Parks went from below .200 to almost hitting .400. Nick Vickerson improved. Britton is better.

There are always going to be some guys like Rea that don't have as good a year the next year with any hitting coach- and he still has one more year to get himself right. But there is a consistent pattern of success with our hitters improving in general under Cohen.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 09:58 PM
But there is a consistent pattern of success with our hitters improving in general under Cohen.

I didn't realize the norm was for freshmens to keep the same batting average their whole career

Again... We are next to last (barely) in the SEC in doubles... No power... No offense... You never address that, and actually just dismiss it.

God4State.. So condescending as our offensive results are putrid.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Good lord COHEN WAS THE ONE COACHING HIM NOT ME

He went from 14 doubles to 5... Not after Will James coached him for an entire offseason, but John Cohen.

Failure is NEVER attributed to Cohen with you is it?

I didn't say you coached him. I said he did what you wanted him to do and it didn't work.

I've criticized Cohen plenty of times. The difference is I know baseball and you don't. And you never attribute success to Cohen.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I didn't realize the norm was for freshmens to keep the same batting average their whole career

Hunter Renfroe hit .100 as a junior? Adam Frazier hit .220 as a junior?

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I didn't say you coached him. I said he did what you wanted him to do and it didn't work.

I've criticized Cohen plenty of times. The difference is I know baseball and you don't. And you never attribute success to Cohen.

Wrong his pitching recruiting and hiring of Butch Thompson has been AWESOME. He does pretty darn good with defense.

And his swing and approach of last year is what I want.. Not the BS we saw this year. How you say that is what I wanted him to do is dumb. You are content with failure and would rather be right than for us to get better.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Hunter Renfroe hit .100 as a junior? Adam Frazier hit .220 as a junior?

Are you illiterate?

You showed how freshmen improved and claimed, COHEN!!1!1

I made a statement saying the norm is not for freshmens to stay the same, its not "coaching" as to why freshmen get better.. Its logic. Given that evens out for all teams why is ou offense still putrid?

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Rea's problem this year is not a bad hitting approach due to coaching... No, he just didn't step up or something superficial like that...

ScottH
06-02-2014, 10:10 PM
There's a reason he's at ULL and no one is going to touch him. I'll leave it at that.

If you look at his bio there are some very odd things that should make you wonder.

Baggage and all, his voodoo is apparently working at ULL.

We can take him off the board.

Would you hire a pure hitting/offense coach? If so, who?

If not, how do we fix the problem we have?

(My tone is frustrated tonight not argumentative because our Million dollar coaching staff just got beat at ULL by their 250,000 staff (baggage and all))

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Wrong his pitching recruiting and hiring of Butch Thompson has been AWESOME. He does pretty darn good with defense.

And his swing and approach of last year is what I want.. Not the BS we saw this year. How you say that is what I wanted him to do is dumb. You are content with failure and would rather be right than for us to get better.

I'm just going by what you have said in the past. Now you are trying to talk out of both sides out of your mouth on something you don't know a lot about to start with- and are epicly failing.

Todd4State says to start hitting line drives - team average increases by 10 points and HOME RUNS more than double. And yet Will says that I'd rather be right than for us to get better. LOL. Let me answer that with this- I'm right because I know what will make us better and I want us to do better. Excuse me for not letting your ignorance reign supreme to make you feel better about yourself.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Are you illiterate?

You showed how freshmen improved and claimed, COHEN!!1!1

I made a statement saying the norm is not for freshmens to stay the same, its not "coaching" as to why freshmen get better.. Its logic. Given that evens out for all teams why is ou offense still putrid?

So, it's logic that all the freshmen out there hitting .100 will be first round picks in three years. Got it.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:16 PM
team average increases by 10 points and HOME RUNS more than double.

2013 SLG - .385
2014 SLG - .341

2013 HR - 30
2014 HR - 16

HR got cut in half, not double G4S

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 10:20 PM
What would the end of the season be without a good Todd vs Will duel

ScottH
06-02-2014, 10:29 PM
2014 HR - 16 MSU
2014 HR - 66 ULL

Dudy Noble Dimensions
330 ft. - Left Field Line
376 ft. - Left Center
390 ft. - Center Field
374 ft. - Right Center
326 ft. - Right Field Line

Tigue Moore Dimensions
330 ft. - Left Field Line
375 ft. - Left Center
400 ft. - Center Field
375 ft. - Right Center
330 ft. - Right Field Line

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:30 PM
What would the end of the season be without a good Todd vs Will duel

Not really a duel when what is clearly an offensive problem... what is clearly a statistically bad play... is defended by the resident expert. It's like we dont actually see the results of these things he just wants to be "right" in a vacuum.

Dawg61
06-02-2014, 10:30 PM

What's his baggage? Seems like a HR hire to me. Literally and figuratively. We are the big boy in baseball. Big boys go out and hire the better coaches when they get beat/slaughtered by them. Cohen is terrific with pitching and defense. That's only 2/3rd's of the game. We lost the National Championship because our offense stunk. Then it got worse. What's the problem here?

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Baggage and all, his voodoo is apparently working at ULL.

We can take him off the board.

Would you hire a pure hitting/offense coach? If so, who?

If not, how do we fix the problem we have?

(My tone is frustrated tonight not argumentative because our Million dollar coaching staff just got beat at ULL by their 250,000 staff (baggage and all))

I think that's a good question.

I'll just say this- if we were to hire him, we need to understand that he comes with baggage and are going to have to deal with it and understand that there are consequences with that. Some of our fans will probably be OK with that- and some maybe not. Sort of like when we first hired Cohen- I think the Polk supporters knew Cohen would win, but in doing so he may do some things that they didn't like.

The other issue with us is if we hired him, we would have to let either Mingione or Wells go. I don't think Mingione is an all-world coach, but he is a really good recruiter and our recruiting started to pick up when we promoted him. Wells I have no opinion of good or bad.

Honestly, if it were me, I would not hire a pure hitting coach AT THIS TIME. Simply because we've had a pattern of success with our players developing, produced a first round draft pick, a guy that led the SEC most of his senior year. The issue was not hitting in terms of getting hits. It was getting extra base hits. We had games where we had 11-12 hits and 3 runs or less. You get that many hits, that's not what I would call bad hitting. But if you don't get extra base hits, it's not going to translate into as many runs.

Which I think leads to your question about how do we fix the problem- recruiting. And you recruit guys like Humphreys, Swinarski, Vallot even though he probably won't come, Austin Riley, etc. We're recruiting guys with power, but they have to develop as a players in general. Will Clark in 1983 was not Will Clark 1985. Even though he was still really good in 1983, you get my point. The guys that we have on this team that are seniors that came to us as freshmen committed to us after three losing seasons. The guys that we're getting now are guys that have seen us in Omaha and SR's. When you have a pattern of success you get better players- including hitters. And we're seeing that happen.

I think all things considered when you look at what we have done in the past, and what we have coming in and you look at the team we had this year- I really think this year was an anamoly. And I think it would be knee jerk to hire or fire or whatever at this point IMO. We will be a better hitting team next year with more power- still not like ULL, but better than this year, and then we will be even better the year after that, and on and on.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:33 PM
2013 SLG - .385
2014 SLG - .341

2013 HR - 30
2014 HR - 16

HR got cut in half, not double G4S

I was referring since the middle of the current season. But I'm glad I made you waste time looking it up.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:37 PM
2014 HR - 16 MSU
2014 HR - 66 ULL

Avg starter weight tonight

MSU - 193 lbs
ULL- 194 lbs

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Not really a duel when what is clearly an offensive problem... what is clearly a statistically bad play... is defended by the resident expert. It's like we dont actually see the results of these things he just wants to be "right" in a vacuum.

All those bunts that ULL did that have cost them runs this year. Why can't we have an offense like that says Will James?

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:40 PM
if we were to hire him, we need to understand that he comes with baggage

Simply because we've had a pattern of success with our players developing

1. Exlpain this baggage to us
2. So much success we are still below average offensively and at the bottom of extra base hits

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:41 PM
All those bunts that ULL did that have cost them runs this year. Why can't we have an offense like that says Will James?

How many times must I explain that bunting hurts worse hitting teams MUCH MORE. Willful ignorance is still ignorance.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:43 PM
1. Exlpain this baggage to us
2. So much success we are still below average offensively and at the bottom of extra base hits

1. Read between the lines. I think everyone else on here gets it.
2. And still won 39 games. #Cohening

ScottH
06-02-2014, 10:46 PM

MSU - 193 lbs
ULL- 194 lbs

How bad does Rea skew those numbers?

Pioneer Dawg
1. Read between the lines. I think everyone else on here gets it.
2. And still won 39 games. #Cohening

Wow 39!! And a 2 seed too! Many here do not accept mediocrity like you I guess

Todd4State
How many times must I explain that bunting hurts worse hitting teams MUCH MORE. Willful ignorance is still ignorance.

As many times as I have to explain that I'm talking about bunting for a hit and not sac bunting. Speaking of willful ignorance.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Taking each team's largest out becomes MSU-183 ULL- 188.. Clearly a 40 HR difference there.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Wow 39!! And a 2 seed too! Many here do not accept mediocrity like you I guess

Top 25 out of 300 teams is mediocre? Like you know anything other than mediocrity.

But I haven't been banned on here at least twice for stupidity, so what do I know right?

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:49 PM
As many times as I have to explain that I'm talking about bunting for a hit and not sac bunting. Speaking of willful ignorance.

Back to this again... How many years now is it?

It's laughable.. I'm sure WMD is laughing his ass off right now if he is reading

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Back to this again... How many years now is it?

It's laughable.. I'm sure WMD is laughing his ass off right now if he is reading

It is laughable how you don't get it.

I point blank asked WMD if he was OK with bunting for a hit- and he said he was fine with that.

Unlike you he understands baseball though, so I'm not too surprised.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 10:53 PM
It is laughable how you don't get it.

I point blank asked WMD if he was OK with bunting for a hit- and he said he was fine with that.

Unlike you he understands baseball though, so I'm not too surprised.

I am too you blithering idiot its NEVER BEEN ABOUT BUNTING FOR HITS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU SAY IT

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 10:59 PM
I am too you blithering idiot its NEVER BEEN ABOUT BUNTING FOR HITS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU SAY IT

Well then you should stop bitching about when we try to bunt for a hit then. Check that- even show bunt and aren't bunting. Otherwise, I will call you out.

I'm pretty sure you are too ignorant to know the difference. At least that's my hope.

Put down Bill James. Watch Tom Emanski and the Baseball Bunch.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:03 PM
If we were doing offense right we would have better offensive results

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Well then you should stop bitching about when we try to bunt for a hit then.

If we don't have the ability/skill to bunt for a hit... WE SHOULDN"T. You're like the HS coach that calls for bunts, watches them fail, then get frustrated with the result.. If you cant do it, you CANT DO IT

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:09 PM
If we were doing offense right we would have better offensive results

Yep. Like ULL.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Yep. Like ULL.

Indeed.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:14 PM
If we don't have the ability/skill to bunt for a hit... WE SHOULDN"T. You're like the HS coach that calls for bunts, watches them fail, then get frustrated with the result.. If you cant do it, you CANT DO IT

And you're like the HS coach that reads Moneyball and wonders why his team with a bunch of .250 singles hitters isn't scoring runs. And then ends up going to back to trying to manufacture runs.

So, if we don't execute something every single time, we shouldn't do it? I guess we just shouldn't hit period then. Heaven forbid we should take advantage of our strength which is our team speed.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Indeed.

Good! Then you'll be happy when we have guys like Austin Riley, Dale Burdick, Cole Gordon smoking the ball and guys like Jake Mangum bunting for hits and using speed in a couple of years.

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:20 PM
And you're like the HS coach that reads Moneyball and wonders why his team with a bunch of .250 singles hitters isn't scoring runs. And then ends up going to back to trying to manufacture runs.

So, if we don't execute something every single time, we shouldn't do it? I guess we just shouldn't hit period then. Heaven forbid we should take advantage of our strength which is our team speed.

Ignoring the drastic difference in RESULTS that show bunting is very very bad again I see.

He's got you here, Todd. Sacrifice bunting is by far the dumbest play in all of baseball. Never, ever, never, ever, never, ever, never, ever, never, ever give away an out. The ONLY time I'd even consider it anymore is on a squeeze play. You're at least gambling on scoring a run with the squeeze. Otherwise, you're just letting the opponent off the hook with an easy out that doesn't do shit to help you. **** intentions, results have to matter at some point. And the results are well beyond shitty and have been for a long time now. Plus, there's a difference between being aggressive and giving away free outs.

I love the Colin Cowherd quote that some people just want to BE right instead of GET it right. It seems that Todd just wants to be right despite all the evidence to the contrary. There is definitely a time for bunting, but it should be a somewhat rare occurrence.

Dawg61
06-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Y'all can argue till you're blue in the face about bunting but any team worth a shit on offense in any level of baseball has at least 3 guys in the lineup that can hit for damage. It's plain as day that we need power added to our lineup. As bad as Brick Ray needs shooters Cohen needs power. We are fu*king Mississippi State baseball. It should be eassssssy to sign 3-4 guys that will significantly increase the power on offense. Every single team I've watched in the last 2 weeks has more damage potential in their lineups than MSU. That should never be the case.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Ignoring the drastic difference in RESULTS that show bunting is very very bad again I see.

You mean these results?

http://www.billjamesonline.com/bunting_for_a_hit/

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Every single team I've watched in the last 2 weeks has more damage potential in their lineups than MSU. That should never be the case.

As Hump and Garner wasted away this year and Nick Flair TORE IT UP elsewhere

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Y'all can argue till you're blue in the face about bunting but any team worth a shit on offense in any level of baseball has at least 3 guys in the lineup that can hit for damage. It's plain as day that we need power added to our lineup. As bad as Brick Ray needs shooters Cohen needs power. We are fu*king Mississippi State baseball. It should be eassssssy to sign 3-4 guys that will significantly increase the power on offense. Every single team I've watched in the last 2 weeks has more damage potential in their lineups than MSU. That should never be the case.

Ding, ding, ding!

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:32 PM

Yeah- he tore up JUCO ball.

Garner struck out almost every time in SEC play. And Humphreys struggled with RH pitching.

And I'm the one that "ignores facts".

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:33 PM
You mean these results?

http://www.billjamesonline.com/bunting_for_a_hit/

Still can't face the facts

Man on 1st, 0 outs (Boyd 49%)
12 sac bunts….. Scored 3 times….. 25%
124 non sacs…. Scored 54 times… 44%

Man on 2nd, 0 outs (Boyd 70%)
14 sac bunts…. Scored 8 times…. 57%
22 non sacs…. Scored 18 times… 82%

(Yes we have bunted in this retarded situation 39% of the time)

Men on 1st and 2nd, 0 outs (Boyd 71%)
14 sac bunts… Scored 8 times…. 57%
24 non sacs…. Scored 18 times… 75%

Pioneer Dawg
06-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Yeah- he tore up JUCO ball.

Guess I shouldn't have high expectations for Holland**

Dawg61
06-02-2014, 11:39 PM

I'm not talking about putting anyone in over current players. I'm talking about signing other players that are proven damage hitters. Bring in some mammoth JUCOs or some good ol strong country boys that hit the damn ball a long fu*king way. I want to see 3 guys in our lineup next year that are mean, big and strong. Giancarlo Stanton size.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Still can't face the facts

Man on 1st, 0 outs (Boyd 49%)
12 sac bunts….. Scored 3 times….. 25%
124 non sacs…. Scored 54 times… 44%

Man on 2nd, 0 outs (Boyd 70%)
14 sac bunts…. Scored 8 times…. 57%
22 non sacs…. Scored 18 times… 82%

(Yes we have bunted in this retarded situation 39% of the time)

Men on 1st and 2nd, 0 outs (Boyd 71%)
14 sac bunts… Scored 8 times…. 57%
24 non sacs…. Scored 18 times… 75%

Still talking about sac bunts I see. And yet I'm the one that doesn't get it.

Why don't you run Ross's SIERA stats for us again to show us how right you always are?

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Guess I shouldn't have high expectations for Holland**

If you're expecting him to hit .400 next year, I think you'll be disappointed.

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm not talking about putting anyone in over current players. I'm talking about signing other players that are proven damage hitters. Bring in some mammoth JUCOs or some good ol strong country boys that hit the damn ball a long fu*king way. I want to see 3 guys in our lineup next year that are mean, big and strong. Giancarlo Stanton size.

You'll like Austin Riley and Cole Gordon then.

Dawg61
06-02-2014, 11:51 PM
You'll like Austin Riley and Cole Gordon then.

Good, get Vallot here and I'll be damn happy

Pioneer Dawg
06-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Still talking about sac bunts I see.

Because that was the discussion. You joined in whining about bunting for hits and trying to combine all bunt into one category, three years ago, and haven't let up

Pioneer Dawg
06-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Why don't you run Ross's SIERA stats for us again to show us how right you always are?

Not a good weekend for this one I think*

RougeDawg
06-03-2014, 12:42 AM
Todd I ask you this one question that will tell you and others about our power problems. What's the difference in our Hitters and other power hitters? Well there are two glaring differences. One being we don't make contact out min front of the plate. The major one is where our hands start. Look at the ULL hitters. All of their hands started at arm pit area to 4 inches behind. That allows maximin distance times force of swing,
Which equals work(power). Been screaming this since Cohen got here. We don't change swings to make them powerful.

If a hitting coach took every one of our Players and pushed their hands back 2-4 inches, our extra base hits would jump. Home runs too. It's simple physics.

sandjunky
06-03-2014, 06:12 AM

MSU - 193 lbs
ULL- 194 lbs

Well Rea definite makes it closer than it really is

I seen it dawg
06-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Todd I ask you this one question that will tell you and others about our power problems. What's the difference in our Hitters and other power hitters? Well there are two glaring differences. One being we don't make contact out min front of the plate. The major one is where our hands start. Look at the ULL hitters. All of their hands started at arm pit area to 4 inches behind. That allows maximin distance times force of swing,
Which equals work(power). Been screaming this since Cohen got here. We don't change swings to make them powerful.

If a hitting coach took every one of our Players and pushed their hands back 2-4 inches, our extra base hits would jump. Home runs too. It's simple physics.

It's not where you "start" your hands. The only thing that matters is where the hands are when it's time to launch. That point where everything stops and pitch is released the hands should be in launch position. Every guy is different until that point in the swing. It doesn't start in the stance with the hands it starts at launch.

Spiderman
06-03-2014, 08:42 AM

+1

Homedawg
06-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Why is garner continuously brought up? He had chances. He couldn't recognizes pitches and struggled. He shouldn't have played during the league and it showed. Damn he is like a backup qb, always better than the starter. Mind boggling.

Pioneer Dawg
06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Why is garner continuously brought up? He had chances. He couldn't recognizes pitches and struggled. He shouldn't have played during the league and it showed. Damn he is like a backup qb, always better than the starter. Mind boggling.

I assume he could do better than .110 the last month

Homedawg
06-03-2014, 08:58 AM
That's a hell of an assumption considering when he faced sec pitchers he was taking a left turn back to the dugout.

drunkernhelldawg
06-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Well, if you understood baseball and hitting it would probably help you understand that better. Cohen adjusting to the changes in the game offensively are a big reason why we had our run last year.

Ole Miss was not a good hitting team last year. They're good now because they have a ton of experience. They have basically the same team as they had last year.

ULL has the type of team that I would like to have- they can hit home runs and they can play small ball and use speed. They also bunt- so I find it pretty funny that you are using them as an example. Good to see you finally come around though.

We can not ask a guy like Seth Heck, Pirtle, CT to be home run hitters in a big ballpark and expect to have good results. That's what happened to Alex Detz- he stopped hitting line drives and using the whole field, and while his home runs went up a little bit, he wasn't nearly as productive overall.

Pretty insulting to start by saying "if you understood baseball . . ." Haven't read the rest of the thread but wouldn't be surprised if it started a fight.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Yea, I can see the argument for Hump needing more ab's...but Garner did nothing except swinging really hard on his strikeouts. Garner CAN be good, but he didn't deserve anyone's spot this year. Hump on the other hand, should have DHed more

Homedawg
06-03-2014, 09:04 AM
In sec games he had a k percentage of .750. Now that's what I'm looking for in a guy who "should be" playing or got screwed. 9 k's in 12 ab's. Nice. But on the bright side his Babip was .333

Pioneer Dawg
06-03-2014, 09:11 AM
In sec games he had a k percentage of .750. Now that's what I'm looking for in a guy who "should be" playing or got screwed. 9 k's in 12 ab's. Nice. But on the bright side his Babip was .333

Not arguing that. But he mashed like a demon all offseason and was never given any chance to get in a groove. He has a 3 game strech where he goes 7-12 with 2 doubles and only 2 K's then its back to getting a PH appearance here or there.

smootness
06-03-2014, 09:12 AM

It's ok, his strategy is to talk up guys and then bash Cohen when they actually play and aren't as good as he made up in his mind. His strategy is also to bash freshmen who don't tear it up, but then downplay the coaching/development when a guy who struggled as a freshman ends up being a good player.

So if a guy doesn't start his career on fire, our recruiting isn't good because that guys isn't as good as everyone said he was. But then if that guy finishes his career as a 1st round pick, well then it isn't coaching because guys always get better from experience and he was a stud recruit anyway.

quickstrike2
06-03-2014, 10:06 AM
I would have liked to have seen Hump with more AB's. I figure for us to be better next year, he needs to be a big part of it and I would have liked to seen him get more experience this year.

Rea, I would probably just as well see him go. He was a very solid first basemen, but just seemed like a buzz kill for most of the year. He did have a few moments but not many. I was expecting big things from him this year, and for every swing he made at a ball in the dirt just made it worse for me.