PDA

View Full Version : Tried a new redfish preparation

BeastMan
06-02-2014, 05:37 PM
I enjoyed the one I prepared in the weekend cooking and drinking thread so much i decided to do the same method again but change up the ingredients a bit. Starting off I sauteed some finely chopped jalapeno in olive oil and also added in a few table spoons of liquid hickory smoke. First step in making smoke jalapeno butter.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf1054553.jpg

Next I slowly melted some butter over low heat so it wouldn't break. Added the sauteed jalepenos with the smoke flavor and put in the cooler to harden back up.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb59085c2.jpg

Next I got my redfish and foil and seasoned both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. Added a little granulated garlic, paprika, sliced yellow onion, and a squeeze of lemon. Cut the now hardened smoked jalapeno butter into a few pieces and placed on top of the filet.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf7044738.jpg

Put the wrapped fish on the grill for a few minutes and got the finished product.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps548c9680.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsac3571fa.jpg

It was pretty good but needs a little more tweeking. It had a very smokey smell and you could catch hints of that flavor but it wasn't overpowering. The japs were perfect. Cooking them for a minute released some of the heat but left the flavor of the pepper. It had a nice smooth warmth in you mouth but not hot. The biggest thing I want to change is going heavier on the lemon. If I could have gone heavier, the first tasted to hit your mouth would have been a sweet citrus which would have made it perfect. I'll do that next time. I might even try to do it with pineapple. Also, if I wasn't just throwing this together, I'd love to puree the japs. Still a solid serving of redfish and lets me know what I need to do to make it really good.

FISHDAWG
06-03-2014, 08:24 AM
looks incredibly tasty ... I love anything with jalapenos, and now I know how to work them in with fish (other than fish tacos) ... nice post Beast

GreaterCowbell
06-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Looks good. I'm going to grill some snapper on the half shell tonight and top with a crawfish sauce. I'd appreciate any of your favorite fish recipes.

BeastMan
06-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Looks good. I'm going to grill some snapper on the half shell tonight and top with a crawfish sauce. I'd appreciate any of your favorite fish recipes.

You literally cannot mess up anything on the half shell. Just decide if you want sweet (citrus fruit & salt & pepper), savory (garlic, onion, peppers, s&p), or spicy (jalape?os, cayenne pepper, etc..., s&p). And you can baste any of those with lemon butter as it cooks. I'd recommend it.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Beastman, when you say you cooked it "a few minutes", how many minutes did you actually cook it? And on what temp do you cook it on? Looks incredible. I don't have a lot of experience grilling fish, but I'm looking to try some things, and yours always look great

BeastMan
06-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Beastman, when you say you cooked it "a few minutes", how many minutes did you actually cook it? And on what temp do you cook it on? Looks incredible. I don't have a lot of experience grilling fish, but I'm looking to try some things, and yours always look great

It's actually hard to tell you exactly because the grill I cooked it on is calibrated where the top is 550 and the bottom isn't that much (commercial grill). I put it in the middle and checked it at 8 minutes and it was done. I probably could have pulled it at 6 but mine wasn't dry at all. I'm actually trying to figure this grill out for this cooking method. It's trial and error

CadaverDawg
06-03-2014, 10:44 PM
It's actually hard to tell you exactly because the grill I could it on is calibrated where the top is 550 and the bottom isn't that much (commercial grill). I put it in the middle and checked it at 8 minutes and it was done. I probably could have pulled it at 6 but mine wasn't dry at all. I'm actually trying to figure this grill out for this cooking method. It's trial and error

Gotcha. Thanks

SpeckleDawg
06-04-2014, 02:39 PM
"Beastman, when you say you cooked it "a few minutes", how many minutes did you actually cook it? And on what temp do you cook it on? Looks incredible. I don't have a lot of experience grilling fish, but I'm looking to try some things, and yours always look great"

I don't ever think about the time on mine, but once it's white and you can flake it off with a fork, it's ready. Of course, that's easier to do when it's not wrapped in foil.

Beastman, that looks great. I need to change things up a little. I rarely add anything more than butter, lemon and onions. The jalapenos may be a nice addition.