PDA

View Full Version : Monday scores

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Bama loses to Kennesaw State 4-2

OM up 1-0 on Wash in the 2nd

smootness
06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Unbelievable that KSU is in a super regional. I actually finished up my degree there after a few years at UGA, and I still live in Kennesaw. It's honestly hard to wrap my head around it, it doesn't make sense.

We're getting a football team soon as well, and they apparently want to be FBS within a few seasons, a la Georgia State. Bizarre, considering it was still almost exclusively a commuter school as recently as the mid-2000s or so.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Unbelievable that KSU is in a super regional. I actually finished up my degree there after a few years at UGA, and I still live in Kennesaw. It's honestly hard to wrap my head around it, it doesn't make sense.

We're getting a football team soon as well, and they apparently want to be FBS within a few seasons, a la Georgia State. Bizarre, considering it was still almost exclusively a commuter school as recently as the mid-2000s or so.

Smoot - my parents were in the first 4 year graduating class when Kennesaw transitioned from a JUCO to a 4 year (both were non-trad. students). I grew up on that campus, and the change that school has seen since 1981 is unreal. We could be seeing the birth of a real program there with this win. 20,000+ students, recruiting a baseball hotbed, HOPE Schollys - it is a perfect storm for them.

Oh great, my Dad just called to bust my balls about the Owls taking care of business. At least he didn't bust out the SEC chant...

smootness
06-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Smoot - my parents were in the first 4 year graduating class when Kennesaw transitioned from a JUCO to a 4 year (both were non-trad. students). I grew up on that campus, and the change that school has seen since 1981 is unreal. We could be seeing the birth of a real program there with this win. 20,000+ students, recruiting a baseball hotbed, HOPE Schollys - it is a perfect storm for them.

Oh great, my Dad just called to bust my balls about the Owls taking care of business. At least he didn't bust out the SEC chant...

Haha.

The crazy thing is, the school still sits on basically the exact same piece of land it's always sat on. How they fit over 20,000 students in there is beyond me. Of course, parking is absolutely insane there; it was already an absolute nightmare when I did joint enrollment there as a HS senior, and it got worse in the few years before I came back.

They're apparently trying to buy Southern Poly and make it a satellite campus, which would help. But it's definitely becoming a pretty good school. Their nursing, business, and education programs are high-quality. It's still just so crazy to see them talked about nationally in something. Kennesaw State? It used to be mostly just a punchline.

And yes, people talk about Georgia being a potential giant in baseball; don't sleep on KSU. They're closer to the talent than even UGA is, and for whatever reason, they are more highly thought-of as a baseball school. I also think their fans care more than UGA's.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Ole Miss catches so many breaks this year. Washington has bases loaded, gets a single through the right side and the dumbass trying to score from 2nd slams on breaks so they get him in a run down and get out of it with only 1 run scored.

OM 1
UW 1

starkvegasdawg
06-02-2014, 03:08 PM
The fact that UW also had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and only got the one run stings too. That should have been a big inning.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
And yes, people talk about Georgia being a potential giant in baseball; don't sleep on KSU. They're closer to the talent than even UGA is, and for whatever reason, they are more highly thought-of as a baseball school. I also think their fans care more than UGA's.
Winning the Natty in NAIA in '94 and DII in '96 will do that for you...

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 03:11 PM
The fact that UW also had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and only got the one run stings too. That should have been a big inning.

Yep.

It's crazy how OM just seems like a team of destiny this year. They have had so many teams over the last 10 years that were better than this one, yet this may be the one that gets them to Omaha. Their pitchers do not impress me at all, but they just keep getting outs and their offense scores just enough every game. Sucks, but it is what it is

FISHDAWG
06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
hey smoot - I did the structural framing there on those latest dorms ... KSU gonna raise some eyebrows in a few years when folks are saying where did these guys come from

Jack Lambert
06-02-2014, 03:17 PM
It is really hard to listen to the game with David Kellum. That dude really gets on my nerve.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Jesus, what luck!

Leadoff single for Wash....then a bunt to pitcher who gets the guy at 2nd. Then a hit and run where the guy rips it up the middle and the covering 2nd baseman grabs it right at the bag and turns 2. I'm telling you...the breaks they've caught and continue to catch this year is incredible.

MS_half-step
06-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Kennesaw is a weird place and I've spent a lot of time there. Love some wild man though.

Goat Holder
06-02-2014, 03:43 PM
and for whatever reason, they are more highly thought-of as a baseball school. I also think their fans care more than UGA's.

Whoa now, let's pull back on the reigns. Georgia has some D1 hardware, and they played for it all again as recently as 2008. Should have won it that year.

DudyDawg
06-02-2014, 03:46 PM

So if you went to UGA and KSU, why are you a state fan? Not being an ass hole or anything like that, I genuinely am asking

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Whoa now, let's pull back on the reigns. Georgia has some D1 hardware, and they played for it all again as recently as 2008. Should have won it that year.
I think the point is that, at least in GA, KSU has a better reputation as a consistent winner, competitive program, and develops kids to play at the next level (at least minors).

A lot of people in Georgia would say UGA consistently underachieves, and that GT, KSU, Mercer, and maybe GA Southern consistently have better programs than UGA. Not saying it is valid, it is more about perception.

Goat Holder
06-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I thought Mercer was considered more of a baseball school, and even Georgia Southern. I had never heard of Kennesaw. But I know nothing of Georgia so I am probably wrong.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2014, 03:58 PM
I thought Mercer was considered more of a baseball school, and even Georgia Southern. I had never heard of Kennesaw. But I know nothing of Georgia so I am probably wrong.
KSU was a DII powerhouse from 96-06. Following their 1996 National Championship, Kennesaw had additional postseason appearances from 1997-2005. From 1997-1999, the Owls made three straight appearances in the Division II World Series, losing each time in the finals or semi-finals. During the 2000-2005 seasons, Kennesaw State racked up 238-112 record, and made the postseason five more times, with an appearance in the Division II World Series in 2003.

B/c of the transition to DI taking so long, they are really only finishing their 5th year as a full DI program, so most haven't heard of them outside GA.

Goat Holder
06-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Schools in and around Atlanta will continue to grow. See this map: http://www.america2050.org/assets_c/2014/02/2050_Map_Megaregions2008-3663.html

Those schools like Kennesaw will probably continue to grow. But it appears MS may be getting left behind. But there again, this map doesn't necessarily mean MS won't grow, it just means that other areas will be bigger....which is pretty much the case now.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-02-2014, 05:21 PM
TT 2
Miami 0
Bot 8

Indiana 1
Stanford 0
Bot 2??

Political Hack
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
hey smoot - I did the structural framing there on those latest dorms ... KSU gonna raise some eyebrows in a few years when folks are saying where did these guys come from

they'll be the #2 football program in the state of Georgia in ten years.