PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Expansion

DCdawg
05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm assuming everyone saw the photo of the brick being started that Stricklin posted this morning. What does everyone think? Seems to be the same color brick used at the union, new dorms, Seal Complex, etc. I guess that's what most new buildings will look like from now on. I like it it a lot.

RTO Dawg
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
If I remember right the uniform look models A&M...I like it...

engie
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm assuming everyone saw the photo of the brick being started that Stricklin posted this morning. What does everyone think? Seems to be the same color brick used at the union, new dorms, Seal Complex, etc. I guess that's what most new buildings will look like from now on. I like it it a lot.

Yes, it's been publicly stated under this regime that we will go with that look across campus to try to get everything to look similarly... In another 20 years, maybe they can erase the eyesores of the previous era...

ckDOG
05-14-2013, 01:27 PM
I like the color. It looks nice and should age well. Here's a dumb question from someone who doesn't know construction. Are those prefabricated bricked sections? What happens with the gaps in between sections? Just curious...

Dawgdom
05-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Can they brick up the Henry Hunter Spaceship?

Big4Dawg
05-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm guessing the fill it with mortar

Original48
05-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Can they brick up the Henry Hunter Spaceship?
Maybe Wile E Coyote can attach a series of acme fuses to it and send it into orbit.

AROB44
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
No they cann't. It would make it too heavy for liftoff.

reddog
05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
florida state's campus is like that look

FISHDAWG
05-14-2013, 02:58 PM
that is called a mock-up ... the architect wants to see what a bigger picture will look like (hard to tell from just a sample ) ... it will remain in place if accepted or torn down and done again until the desired aesthetic is achieved ...not prefabbed - not for real brick

archdog
05-14-2013, 03:00 PM
If they are precast panels with thin brick the joints will get backerrod and sealant. If they are panelized mortor would be a bad choice due thermal expansion contraction and prolonged movement between the panels. Note that I have not seen the images of the install myself.

FISHDAWG
05-14-2013, 03:08 PM

click for larger picture .... given the thickness it appears to be brick without framing & sheathing back-up or a veneer type panel

DCdawg
05-14-2013, 06:30 PM
"Eyesores of the previous era" is right. I would start with Dorman first. If you're tailgating in the Junction it just looks like crap to me - not to mention it will be right beside the newly bricked stadium so it will stand out even more.

archdog
05-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Can't really tell from that picture. The horizontal joint is suspect if is actually full brick. It's probably a lintel location. Architects like to see all parts of the install on a mock up, generally. The crazy thing is with the timing of construction and the size of the job, precast would have been a better choice. Jackson Precast actually does some pretty good work and they are relatively in the neighborhood. In a matter of weeks they could have installed all the precast and the brick would look flawless.

As a rehab they may have gone with

FISHDAWG
05-15-2013, 08:26 AM
good point on the horizontal joint ... can't be full brick unless there's an angle / brick shelf we can't see @ the joint ... also see the form work on the other side of the precast - looks like they are not yet complete with the full mock-up .... I like the brick / precast look ... just hope they don't skimp on the brick in favor of more precast work