PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about Ross

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 12:25 PM
He apparently has some arm soreness.

Should we advance, I don't know what we are going to do.

Fitts, Laster, and then ???? If it were me, I'd go with Vance Tatum and then bring in the bullpen.

The Croom Diaries
06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
If he can't go I think you have to hand it to your 5th year senior for a Game 3.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Fitts, Laster, and then ???? If it were me, I'd go with Vance Tatum and then bring in the bullpen.

Yea, we would have to hope like hell we win it in 2. I would throw Fitts/Lindgren in game 1, Laster/Holder in game 2....and then Bracewell/Tatum/Lindgren(?)/Holder(?)/Wholestaff

Todd4State
06-02-2014, 12:29 PM
That's probably what Cohen will do, but I think Tatum has pitched better than Bracewell.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
If he can't go I think you have to hand it to your 5th year senior for a Game 3.

Yea, I think you tell Bracewell and Woodruff that they are the two veterans and we are counting on them. Send them out there first, and then go with the hot hand in Tatum if needed. Then hope Gentry has the performance of his life if Holder or Lindgren can't give us an inning each to get to Omaha

CadaverDawg
06-02-2014, 12:31 PM
That's probably what Cohen will do, but I think Tatum has pitched better than Bracewell.

Oh I agree. But Cohen will let his experience give it go with a short leash I would imagine. I would have Tatum up and warm though for sure

Political Hack
06-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm more worried about tonight after getting skull drug last night.

MarketingBully01
06-02-2014, 12:35 PM

I agree Todd. It was obvious Mitchell wasn't on his A game last night. The way those balls were groovin to the center of the plate, I think Jackson State would have hit him hard.

MarketingBully01
06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm more worried about tonight after getting skull drug last night.

I think we will be fine. We scored the final 5 runs of the game and could have had more. We are going to have to rely on Laster/Lindgren/Holder to get us to that next step.

starkvegasdawg
06-02-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around having arm soreness when there are little leaguers that throw harder. I remember we joked back during the season about running him out there the second game of a double header because his delivery was so effortless.

DudyDawg
06-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I think a good matchup mix would be start Bracewell, largely bc he has experience and can give us 2-3 okay innings, bring in tatum for 1-2-3 or so innings to give the lefty look, and depending on how many innings are left, bring in Holder or Woody to set up Holder. Lets hope the season doesn't end and this is something we talk about all week

DudyDawg
06-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around having arm soreness when there are little leaguers that throw harder. I remember we joked back during the season about running him out there the second game of a double header because his delivery was so effortless.

I think its sore from how much you have to move your hands to rap

AlSwearengen
06-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I am starting to wonder what we do during the week when we aren't playing games. We definitely do not throw our pitchers too much in games, but damn we have a lot of sore/****ed up arms. Are we throwing them too much in practice?

smootness
06-02-2014, 01:36 PM
I am starting to wonder what we do during the week when we aren't playing games. We definitely do not throw our pitchers too much in games, but damn we have a lot of sore/****ed up arms. Are we throwing them too much in practice?

It's just the way baseball is now. If I had to guess, I would say most of the teams who have an abnormally high number of pitcher injuries are probably not throwing them enough. I don't think this is the case for us, though; I don't think we have a much higher than average rate of injuries.

maroonmania
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Something is definitely affecting his ability to locate and get movement on his pitches. 80 mph pitches put in the wrong spot with little movement are going to be hit hard. That is what has happened his last 2 starts.

The Croom Diaries
06-02-2014, 02:24 PM
It's just the way baseball is now. If I had to guess, I would say most of the teams who have an abnormally high number of pitcher injuries are probably not throwing them enough. I don't think this is the case for us, though; I don't think we have a much higher than average rate of injuries.

That is what I've heard Leo Mazzone say. He believes a lot of this stuff could be prevented by throwing more between starts to build endurance. I've also heard John Smoltz say he believes one of the main problems is throwing year around instead of complete rest for 4-5 months. I agree with both because they are my favorites.

engie
06-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Law of averages catching up with us for having few arm injuries the past 2 years prior to this one...

This uber strange weather year hasn't done us any favors either...

smootness
06-02-2014, 02:42 PM
That is what I've heard Leo Mazzone say. He believes a lot of this stuff could be prevented by throwing more between starts to build endurance. I've also heard John Smoltz say he believes one of the main problems is throwing year around instead of complete rest for 4-5 months. I agree with both because they are my favorites.

I think the two biggest problems with most approaches now are that kids are throwing constantly at a young age now. With travel ball on top of HS, pitchers are now throwing all the time, like Smoltz is alluding to. So they have much more mileage on their arms by the time they're entering college or pro. Where a lot of the pitchers who ultimately did end up with arm injuries in the past had them happen later in their careers, you're seeing an incredibly high % now of guys throwing their arms out before their career even begins.

The other main issue is maxing out effort while throwing less consistently between starts. I don't think pitchers are just able to throw harder now than they were in the past; I just think where a guy might be able to touch 95 in the past but only sat around 90 most of the time, now guys are hitting the top of their velocity range consistently. And they're resting too much between starts, so their arm is constantly going 0-100 without any buildup on days in which they're starting. That has to put more stress on an arm than if you're pitching more often (during the season) but using less effort when you do.

Goat Holder
06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I've also heard John Smoltz say he believes one of the main problems is throwing year around instead of complete rest for 4-5 months. I agree with both because they are my favorites.

Andrews and LeMac in Birmingham say the same thing. Say you should put the ball down for at least that long.

My personal opinion? Pitchers should just take it easy. It shouldn't be about how hard you can throw, all the time.

EdDawg
06-02-2014, 04:25 PM
What do people see in Bracewell to warrant a start? I see a pitcher that's decent for 2 innings and then falls apart.

Goat Holder
06-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Agreed, he should have been a closer his entire career. Starting to look like Holder is more of a middle relief guy than Bracewell.