PDA

View Full Version : Renfroe has been smashing it lately...

Le Big Mac
06-01-2014, 12:41 AM
https://twitter.com/Storm_Baseball/status/472970060848721920

exciting just watching his updates through twitter.. hopefully he can stay consistent

batting .282 with 13 HRs through 55 games.. not too bad. I dont know if thats before or after this game though
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=592669

ETA: couldnt figure out how to embed the tweet but theres the link

smootness
06-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Yep, and I'm pretty sure those season stats are before today's game.

He's raised his average over 30 points in the last 2-3 weeks and has now hit 7 HR in his last 10 games, I believe. He said he's made a conscious effort to cut down on the Ks and make more contact, and it's working. He seems to have figured out A+ pitching, which is a really good sign.

They'll probably promote him to AA pretty soon and will probably be prepared to have him stay there for a while to feel comfortable with that pitching...I'd say a full year or more if that's what it takes.

ETA: Yep, I checked and he now has 15 HRs on the year. His BA is now .290, which is crazy. He's raised it 40 points now in a very short period of time. In his last 10 games, he's hit .415 with 7 HR and 17 RBI.

Pioneer Dawg
06-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Padres are the worst hitting team in baseball, call him up!

DudyDawg
06-01-2014, 12:50 AM
That's over thirty bombs in a 162 game schedule and hitting in the high 280's. Very good stuff for hunter. We always knew he had the tools and it's starting to look like he is developing them. Good for him

Pioneer Dawg
06-01-2014, 12:52 AM
AA is usually a pretty good indicator of MLB success

smootness
06-01-2014, 12:54 AM
That's over thirty bombs in a 162 game schedule and hitting in the high 280's. Very good stuff for hunter. We always knew he had the tools and it's starting to look like he is developing them. Good for him

He has 15 HR in 56 games, so yes, it's over 30. It's actually over 43 per 162.

DudyDawg
06-01-2014, 12:56 AM
He has 15 HR in 56 games, so yes, it's over 30. It's actually over 43 per 162.

My bad, didn't add the two tonight. I'm not a mathematician smoot

smootness
06-01-2014, 01:00 AM
My bad, didn't add the two tonight. I'm not a mathematician smoot

Haha no worries, I didn't mean for it to come across doucheish...I just wanted to show just how good he's been this year and especially lately. If he kept up anything close to this pace, he'd probably end up with something around 50 HR.

Le Big Mac
06-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Trout 2.0 anyone? He even kinda looks like him

DudyDawg
06-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Haha no worries, I didn't mean for it to come across doucheish...I just wanted to show just how good he's been this year and especially lately. If he kept up anything close to this pace, he'd probably end up with something around 50 HR.

Haha no I feel ya.

And I'm not surprised at all by those HR numbers. We all know he's a physical freak. But I'm a bit surprised that his average is as high as it is. He just seemed like the kind of guy who has the tools but would take a bit of time to adjust to things like moving teams, cities, stuff like that. Seems like the kind of guy who gets better as he settles as far as consistency goes, so it's good to see he's hitting for a nice average/power ratio

smootness
06-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Trout 2.0 anyone? He even kinda looks like him

I still don't see him as a guy who is ever going to threaten .300 in the majors, and I don't think he'll walk as much as Trout, either, but he does have a shed full of tools.

If he can be a .270/.335/.500 hitter in the majors, there's a whole lot of value there now. Anything more, and he's a legitimate star, especially given that he will probably be a plus-plus defender in RF overall.

Todd4State
06-01-2014, 01:06 AM
I could see him being promoted soon. Maybe by July.

Also- Girodo and Graveman are all doing pretty well also. If they keep it up, I think they both have a legit shot at MLB. Especially Girodo.

DudyDawg
06-01-2014, 01:08 AM
I could see him being promoted soon. Maybe by July.

Also- Girodo and Graveman are all doing pretty well also. If they keep it up, I think they both have a legit shot at MLB. Especially Girodo.

Graveman is somewhat of a mystery to me. Girodo is a very good lefty that fits a situational role well, that's clear. But Kendall seems like the kind of guy who doesn't have the best stuff but always can get you six solid no matter if it is AA, college, or MLB. Curious to see what his role will be as his career progresses

Todd4State
06-01-2014, 01:09 AM
Haha no I feel ya.

And I'm not surprised at all by those HR numbers. We all know he's a physical freak. But I'm a bit surprised that his average is as high as it is. He just seemed like the kind of guy who has the tools but would take a bit of time to adjust to things like moving teams, cities, stuff like that. Seems like the kind of guy who gets better as he settles as far as consistency goes, so it's good to see he's hitting for a nice average/power ratio

Considering how far he has come from where he was as a freshman to where he is now, I could see him possibly being an All-Star level MLB player. Especially on a team like the Padres. He'll probably be a guy that plays in the Futures Game like in 2015 and plays in the Arizona Fall League.

Todd4State
06-01-2014, 01:12 AM
Graveman is somewhat of a mystery to me. Girodo is a very good lefty that fits a situational role well, that's clear. But Kendall seems like the kind of guy who doesn't have the best stuff but always can get you six solid no matter if it is AA, college, or MLB. Curious to see what his role will be as his career progresses

He's smart. He knows how to pitch and he attacks the strike zone. I could see him being a middle relief guy kind of like Seth Maness of the Cardinals and possibly a back of the rotation guy, which is probably his ceiling. We'll know a lot more when he goes to AA next year. He may not be a guy that has a 10 year career, but I could see him making it for a little while.

smootness
06-01-2014, 01:15 AM
The switch that Girodo flipped is absolutely amazing. He's going to make for a very good 7th/8th inning guy in the majors.

msstate7
06-01-2014, 06:32 AM
The switch that Girodo flipped is absolutely amazing. He's going to make for a very good 7th/8th inning guy in the majors.

And I swore I never wanted to see him again after he got rocked by bama his junior year. Only time I've ever been wrong about a player*************

ShotgunDawg
06-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Renfroe is off to a great start, and the Padres should be very excited. However, we still need to pump the brakes and keep things in perspective.

1. He is playing in the Cal League, which along with the PCL, is considered the most offensive league in organized baseball. It is not uncommon for marginal players to post high solid HR totals and high batting averages in this league due to a high BABIP. Most of the teams are located in the dry arid climate east of LA, and they have hard infields.

2. Renfroe currently has a 27% K rate against High A competition. For comparisons sake, only one player in the past 6 years has made the MLB All-Star game with a K-rate over 30% and that is Giancarlo Stanton. George Springer could make a run at the being the 2nd, but it is rare.

The thing Renfroe will need to do to "make it" is continue to get better at walking. Striking out is fine for power guys so long as you aren't chasing balls out of the zone. The theory is that, by showing the plate discipline to take walks, you force the pitcher to have to throw strikes to strike you out, and, as long as a power hitter is seeing pitches in the k-zone, then he should be able to run into enough balls to hit for power. If Renfroe is striking out by chasing pitches out of the zone, then things could get ugly as he moves up the ranks because he'll rarely see pitches to hit.

MsStateBaseball
06-01-2014, 10:19 AM
After this draft is when moves are made. Next week. Where is AA for them?

Pioneer Dawg
06-01-2014, 10:24 AM
After this draft is when moves are made. Next week. Where is AA for them?

San Antonio

BoomBoom
06-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Renfroe is off to a great start, and the Padres should be very excited. However, we still need to pump the brakes and keep things in perspective.

1. He is playing in the Cal League, which along with the PCL, is considered the most offensive league in organized baseball. It is not uncommon for marginal players to post high solid HR totals and high batting averages in this league due to a high BABIP. Most of the teams are located in the dry arid climate east of LA, and they have hard infields.

2. Renfroe currently has a 27% K rate against High A competition. For comparisons sake, only one player in the past 6 years has made the MLB All-Star game with a K-rate over 30% and that is Giancarlo Stanton. George Springer could make a run at the being the 2nd, but it is rare.

The thing Renfroe will need to do to "make it" is continue to get better at walking. Striking out is fine for power guys so long as you aren't chasing balls out of the zone. The theory is that, by showing the plate discipline to take walks, you force the pitcher to have to throw strikes to strike you out, and, as long as a power hitter is seeing pitches in the k-zone, then he should be able to run into enough balls to hit for power. If Renfroe is striking out by chasing pitches out of the zone, then things could get ugly as he moves up the ranks because he'll rarely see pitches to hit.

exactly. teams aren't going to change their development plans for a 1st round pick over a 800 or 900 OPS in A ball. nowadays it takes a 1200 OPS to force a move up. especially when said player still needs work on pitch selection. no need to throw in AA breaking balls just yet.