PDA

View Full Version : Any pitching announcement yet? I have a strange feeling...

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 11:15 AM
that we will start Laster. I would rather save him for a potential Monday game, but I think Cohen and Butch will start him to try and ensure a victory and also to give him a Regional win and some confidence for if/when he pitches in the Super and/or Omaha.

Plus, the more I think about it, I don't think Cohen will take JSU nearly as lightly as we all do. Look for Laster to be on the bump tonight. If not, it will be Bracewell....not the freshmen like I wish we would do. I'd go with Hudson and Tatum, and Bracewell if necessary, if it were me.

Goat Holder
05-31-2014, 11:27 AM
I have decided I would go with RH gas. Therefore, start Woodruff with Bracewell 1st out if the pen. If you want to ensure Laster gets work, start him today and lift him after two innings so he can still throw Monday if necessary.

smootness
05-31-2014, 11:28 AM
I'd be perfectly fine throwing Laster. I hope he doesn't take it lightly, we obviously shouldn't. Regardless of what we think about JSU, we just saw that anything can happen, and winning game 2 is an absolute must, no matter the opponent.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 11:33 AM
I think what is lost in all of this is that JSU won with scoring only 1 run. Do they have another pitcher of theirs that can shut out a team a second day in a row? With that said, would be a smart move to start Laster and play for a three game sweep of the regional. I like our odds with Mitchell going up against a weekday starter no matter who it is.

Quaoarsking
05-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Throw Laster for 9. Then Mitchell tomorrow for ULL with Lindgren and Holder as necessary. That should get us the win, but if not, there's still Bracewell, Woodruff, Tatum, Brown, and Sexton for Monday against ULL's 5th starter.

weblow
05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Ran into a former player today and he claims he is hearing Woody. No clue if true.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Throw Laster for 9. Then Mitchell tomorrow for ULL with Lindgren and Holder as necessary. That should get us the win, but if not, there's still Bracewell, Woodruff, Tatum, Brown, and Sexton for Monday against ULL's 5th starter.

Agreed, Quaoarsking. This.

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 11:45 AM
I'd be perfectly fine throwing Laster. I hope he doesn't take it lightly, we obviously shouldn't. Regardless of what we think about JSU, we just saw that anything can happen, and winning game 2 is an absolute must, no matter the opponent.

Laster should be held same as Mitchell, Lind and Holder. JSU was 9-15 in the SWAC. We didn't pitch our best 4 yesterday and the same thought process should be used today. Bracewell, Woodruff and Hudson has to beat a 9-15 SWAC team and if it doesn't we have our 4 studs left. The genius with this is that we have our 4 studs if we lose and guess who we then have to beat twice to go to SR after using Ross? JSU. Rest our top 4 and throw RH gas at JSU today.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Ran into a former player today and he claims he is hearing Woody. No clue if true.

Let's say we do this and win this one and win on Sunday without pitching Laster at all. Well, let's say we split the first two games next weekend in the Supers and depend on Laster to get that final win with him not pitching since the Georgia game in the SEC tourney. You pitch your best pitchers and play for the sweep.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Laster should be held same as Mitchell, Lind and Holder. JSU was 9-15 in the SWAC. We didn't pitch our best 4 yesterday and the same thought process should be used today. Bracewell, Woodruff and Hudson has to beat a 9-15 SWAC team and if it doesn't we have our 4 studs left. The genius with this is that we have our 4 studs if we lose and guess who we then have to beat twice to go to SR after using Ross? JSU. Rest our top 4 and throw RH gas at JSU today.

Why would you play as though you are going to lose? I never really understood that mentality. Plus, Laster needs more postseason work. Why not pitch him today? He hasn't pitched since the Georgia game so if you hold him out and sweep out the next time he pitches might be for a trip to Omaha on the line with no post season experience whatsoever.

DudyDawg
05-31-2014, 12:05 PM
I think we should start Laster just because we aren't guaranteed to have a fourth game. Throw what you got when you got to.

Also, what are the times of the games today down there.

Thirdly, for those interested, Alabama FSU elimination game just started on ESPNU

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Why would you play as though you are going to lose? I never really understood that mentality. Plus, Laster needs more postseason work. Why not pitch him today? He hasn't pitched since the Georgia game so if you hold him out and sweep out the next time he pitches might be for a trip to Omaha on the line with no post season experience whatsoever.

Nobody is playing to lose. I'm saving my best for tom. JSU can't hit 90+ RH gas. We need a lot from our top 4 very soon and I sure as shit ain't burning them up vs 9-15 SWAC. Trust that we have the arms to beat JSU. You trusted it yesterday vs a much better SDSU and it worked. JSU won't be taken lightly but they are lucky to even be in this tournament. They'd finish 5-25 in the SEC. Dead last by 5 games.

Pioneer Dawg
05-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Hudson Woodruff Bracewell... If we can't beat JSU with that.....

98 all day will do it.

Goat Holder
05-31-2014, 12:15 PM

I agree, so that's why we should do what I said earlier. Win win.

I seen it dawg
05-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Go Bracewell because he will throw strikes. Get a lead then come with Woody in case he can't find the plate.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Nobody is playing to lose. I'm saving my best for tom. JSU can't hit 90+ RH gas. We need a lot from our top 4 very soon and I sure as shit ain't burning them up vs 9-15 SWAC. Trust that we have the arms to beat JSU. You trusted it yesterday vs a much better SDSU and it worked. JSU won't be taken lightly but they are lucky to even be in this tournament. They'd finish 5-25 in the SEC. Dead last by 5 games.

You're being generous. They might not win a single game if they played a SEC schedule this year

shoeless joe
05-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Cohens job is to give the team the best chance to advance. That's the only way to look at it.

smootness
05-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Trust that we have the arms to beat JSU. You trusted it yesterday vs a much better SDSU and it worked.

It's different. You saved Ross Mitchell yesterday so he could face ULL...you weren't holding him out in case you lost, you were just saving him for the better matchup.

I get that by holding Laster out you're potentially saving him for the better matchup, but that's only in case you lose. If you win the next two, he doesn't even pitch. We knew we were throwing Ross Mitchell, we just thought we had a better matchup elsewhere.

smootness
05-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Cohens job is to give the team the best chance to advance. That's the only way to look at it.

Obviously, but there are two different ways to approach it, and that's what the discussion is. You can either throw your best pitcher in each game regardless of the opponent so that you have the best chance to win each game...or you can look at the regional as a whole and realize you have to win two more games and strategize based on matchups - you may feel like Ross Mitchell gives us our best chance to beat JSU, for example, but believe that holding him for Sunday gives us our best chance of winning the regional.

I would personally go Laster. I'm fine if Cohen doesn't, I feel like we'll beat JSU no matter what.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Obviously, but there are two different ways to approach it, and that's what the discussion is. You can either throw your best pitcher in each game regardless of the opponent so that you have the best chance to win each game...or you can look at the regional as a whole and realize you have to win two more games and strategize based on matchups - you may feel like Ross Mitchell gives us our best chance to beat JSU, for example, but believe that holding him for Sunday gives us our best chance of winning the regional.

I would personally go Laster. I'm fine if Cohen doesn't, I feel like we'll beat JSU no matter what.

Personally, I'd go Laster myself for the regional experience alone and get him some work.

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 12:44 PM
It's different. You saved Ross Mitchell yesterday so he could face ULL...you weren't holding him out in case you lost, you were just saving him for the better matchup.

I get that by holding Laster out you're potentially saving him for the better matchup, but that's only in case you lose. If you win the next two, he doesn't even pitch. We knew we were throwing Ross Mitchell, we just thought we had a better matchup elsewhere.

I'm not using Laster because it's overkill. We'll beat JSU with our righties and then we have our 4 best arms totally fresh for Sunday and the SR. Save the bullets for the Lion kill the Fox with the knife.

Todd4State
05-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Personally, I'd go Laster myself for the regional experience alone and get him some work.

He threw 120 pitches in the SEC Tournament. I'd be OK with him having a week off myself.

blacklistedbully
05-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Gentlemen, JSU got all of 4 HITS in their win over ULL. They used the ONE pitcher they have that is considered a stud. Yes, our offense has shown it can be equal-opportunity anemic versus mediocre as well as great pitching, but we should be able to put just about anybody on our staff out there, other than Brown, who has not fully recovered, and have a major advantage on the hill. This would not be conceding a loss, or playing for a loss. It would be playing for a win without using our very, very best pitchers in a game we should still have a decided advantage in pitching. It is just smart. As has been pointed out, it has the added benefit of a loss being the least offensive kind we could have, as we'd have our best to go versus ULL, and would end up, assuming a win over ULL, facing a seriously depleted, as well as over-matched JSU, needing to win 2. We would not lose, what would effectively be a 3-game series with JSU, regardless of who pitched against them.

ETA - And this is worst-case scenario, as SDSU could very well eliminate UL today, making any potential needed rebound even more likely to succeed.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
He threw 120 pitches in the SEC Tournament. I'd be OK with him having a week off myself.

Exactly

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Gentlemen, JSU got all of 4 HITS in their win over ULL. They used the ONE pitcher they have that is considered a stud. Yes, our offense has shown it can be equal-opportunity anemic versus mediocre as well as great pitching, but we should be able to put just about anybody on our staff out there, other than Brown, who has not fully recovered, and have a major advantage on the hill. This would not be conceding a loss, or playing for a loss. It would be playing for a win without using our very, very best pitchers in a game we should still have a decided advantage in pitching. It is just smart. As has been pointed out, it has the added benefit of a loss being the least offensive kind we could have, as we'd have our best to go versus ULL, and would end up, assuming a win over ULL, facing a seriously depleted, as well as over-matched JSU, needing to win 2. We would not lose, what would effectively be a 3-game series with JSU, regardless of who pitched against them.

Well said

I seen it dawg
05-31-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm not using Laster because it's overkill. We'll beat JSU with our righties and then we have our 4 best arms totally fresh for Sunday and the SR. Save the bullets for the Lion kill the Fox with the knife.

You are being way too logical...who you let use your login?

RTO Dawg
05-31-2014, 02:02 PM

Switchblade

cujo
05-31-2014, 02:51 PM
If we win this regional w/o pitching Laster, I'd start him in the first game of the Super Regional

preachermatt83
05-31-2014, 02:58 PM
as long as Ross don't pitch today you wont hear a peep from me.. If I had the call I think I would throw Hudson or Tatum but wont fuss about anybody as long as it ain't Ross.... I don't have enough Confidence in Woody to pitch him against anybody but still rather him than Ross.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Have we still not announced our starter yet?

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 03:19 PM
as long as Ross don't pitch today you wont hear a peep from me.. If I had the call I think I would throw Hudson or Tatum but wont fuss about anybody as long as it ain't Ross.... I don't have enough Confidence in Woody to pitch him against anybody but still rather him than Ross.

The Alabama FSU game is a good reason why you pitch Laster tonight. A lot of their problems with their two relievers had to do with no experience in the post season. Why not let Laster get those butterflies out against JSU? He is the only pitcher we have who has not pitched in the post season other then the true freshmen.

Doc
05-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Is Brown not available ?

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Okay, Brown is hurt. We need to shut him down for the season and let him get his surgery. He has allowed 4 runs in 4 innings in the last four games we have pitched him. I wouldn't pitch Brown.