PDA

View Full Version : Do we change our pitching strategy now that we play JSU?

Jack Lambert
05-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Just curious.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Absolutely.

I would pitch Hudson and Tatum today, and Bracewell if for some reason we get in trouble.

If we go into Sunday with Ross, Laster, Lindgren, and Holder fresh...we have no excuse to lose this Regional

State82
05-31-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm really, really anxious to find out how Cohen & Butch play this hand tonight. No way I send Mitchell to the hill but I'm not so sure that won't happen.

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Yes, we throw righties and save our best 3-4 for Tom. Mitchell, Lindgren, Laster and Holder get extra day of rest. If we win today we are set up for not only the regional but the SR too. We'll be the freshest staff in the country.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Yes, we throw righties and save our best 3-4 for Tom. Mitchell, Lindgren, Laster and Holder get extra day of rest. If we win today we are set up for not only the regional but the SR too. We'll be the freshest staff in the country.

Yea, the crazy thing is that guys like Laster and Mitchell don't really need a lot of rest...but it will be good for Holder and Lindgren

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm really, really anxious to find out how Cohen & Butch play this hand tonight. No way I send Mitchell to the hill but I'm not so sure that won't happen.

JSU is a RH dominant lineup. We should send a hard throwing righty at them and then another. ULL struggled vs the slow lefty. I don't even think it's a decision. JSU and ULL made the decision for us.

DawgSaint
05-31-2014, 11:03 AM
Is there really any doubt the Cajuns couldn't adjust to the slow pitches that we're coming their way last night? If not, why in the world would you not save Mitchell until tomorrow? If we think we're good enough to go to Omaha then we should be able to beat Jackson State no matter who we put out there.

Pioneer Dawg
05-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Hudson starts.... Bracewell relieves.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 11:26 AM
JSU is a RH dominant lineup. We should send a hard throwing righty at them and then another. ULL struggled vs the slow lefty. I don't even think it's a decision. JSU and ULL made the decision for us.

I don't think matchups really matter here. With that said, I would pitch Laster today and Mitchell tomorrow. Brown is hurt so really Laster is the only option here to start.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Absolutely.

I would pitch Hudson and Tatum today, and Bracewell if for some reason we get in trouble.

If we go into Sunday with Ross, Laster, Lindgren, and Holder fresh...we have no excuse to lose this Regional

I would play for three game sweep not for an optional 4th game. Laster today and Mitchell tomorrow. We would face a weekday starter for whoever we play in the championship game anyway.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 12:29 PM
I would play for three game sweep not for an optional 4th game. Laster today and Mitchell tomorrow. We would face a weekday starter for whoever we play in the championship game anyway.

I would save Laster. It's not like he won't throw a bullpen to stay sharp if we don't use him this weekend. Besides, he threw 120 pitches last time out, so the weekend off isn't a terrible thing for him

Maroons
05-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Hudson starts.... Bracewell relieves.

Flip that around and you've got it.

smootness
05-31-2014, 12:39 PM
I want to send a message to the team that we are taking JSU seriously, and I also want to send a message that we're going to win this, we're going to win Sunday, and we're going to sweep the regional.

I agree with Marketing, I'm throwing Laster.

I seen it dawg
05-31-2014, 12:39 PM
I agree. Bracewell bc he throws strikes. We can't afford to give them anything and let their confidence from last night carry over.

Todd4State
05-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Just curious.

I'm pretty sure our pitching strategy was plan A start Ross against ULL and plan B if JSU pulled the upset. So, we're probably going to go with plan B.

I just see very little risk in not starting Ross.

MarketingBully01
05-31-2014, 12:46 PM
I would save Laster. It's not like he won't throw a bullpen to stay sharp if we don't use him this weekend. Besides, he threw 120 pitches last time out, so the weekend off isn't a terrible thing for him

He has almost gotten two weeks rest already. Pitching in a regional is a lot different then the regular season. I don't want a trip to Omaha on the line with him pitching and him not having pitched since the Georgia game.

Pioneer Dawg
05-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Ross is not the best matchup vs JSU. They have zero chance against Hudson.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 12:48 PM
He has almost gotten two weeks rest already. Pitching in a regional is a lot different then the regular season. I don't want a trip to Omaha on the line with him pitching and him not having pitched since the Georgia game.

You act like Woody, Hudson, Sexton, etc... Have been getting tons of live work in. Do you realize those are the guys that will be pitching in an elimination game if we throw Laster today and this Regional goes to Monday? You're going against everything you're saying if it doesn't play out as a sweep...which is not guaranteed. Lafayette is more than capable of winning this Regional still. I'm not saying it's likely, but we don't need to just assume we're "getting guys work" and that we've already punched our ticket. I would feel much safer in a Monday game with Laster, than a Monday game with Woodruff...just saying

Todd4State
05-31-2014, 12:51 PM

That shouldn't be a big deal. We'll try to work Laster in if we can- say we are up big in the championship game. Laster has pitched in some big games for us already.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2014, 12:53 PM
That shouldn't be a big deal. We'll try to work Laster in if we can- say we are up big in the championship game. Laster has pitched in some big games for us already.

Agree