PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the Miracle if the Swamp

Todd4State
05-30-2014, 08:26 PM
First of all, that was one of the biggest upsets in college baseball history. Bar none. That was the biggest win in JSU history. Congratulations to them.

We now get to face Jackson State in the winner's bracket. We should start Woodruff, Bracewell or someone else like that. Cohen will probably do so now that he has seen how their hitters react to soft tossing LH pitching- and guys like Ross and Laster are going to be even tougher to hit. I would throw Woodruff against JSU because he can hit 94 on the gun and has a good breaking ball- they do not see that in the SWAC very often. If his command is off, we have Bracewell and we have our freshmen and in case of emergency we have Lindgren and Holder.

Now ULL is going to have to face San Diego State and their ace. He probably throws a lot harder than the JSU guys- which means should ULL win, they will still have to deal with the contrast of going from soft to hard and then back to soft again.

I seen it dawg
05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
And ULL has to play 2 more games BEFORE they get to us. JSU shot their load obviously.

curmudgeon
05-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Sexy is why they are #1 in the polls. All that action on the base paths is impressive.

But JSU played it mistake free. Threw out runners. Pitched out effectively and caught runners off guard. And played solid defense. If I had the data in a good format, I'd suspect that opposing teams made a lot of errors defending the base paths this season.

Defensively, ULL was elite. That has probably won a few games for them this year and inflated their record. So ULL is a great defensive team with average pitching and hitting in a sucky league. That equates to an inflated record.

War Machine Dawg
05-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Here's another question: Do we dare try to steal a day off for Collins tomorrow? It would have him fresh for the possible Sunday ULL game and available for a deciding Monday game against ULL. Can you imagine the havoc ULL would wreak if Randolph is behind the dish for a Regional Championship game? Collins is the only guy I trust to control the run game.

Dawg61
05-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Let Woodruff and Bracewell get it done tom. We will be extremely fresh with only one win to go assuming we beat the mighty JSU Tigers and their lucky stick.

whosyourdawgy
05-30-2014, 09:29 PM
My thoughts on the game are that I'm glad that big ol' JSU pitcher that ended the game for them won't be pitching tomorrow. He was slinging some nasty stuff up there that ULL couldn't hit. I am happy as can be for JSU. They played a flawless game and got a W against the number 1 team in the country! That is remarkable

MSUDawg4Life
05-30-2014, 09:30 PM
And ULL has to play 2 more games BEFORE they get to us. JSU shot their load obviously.

JSU saved their "ace" too. Interestingly enough, he was the kid that hit the double and scored for them. It's possible that he could pitch a good 7 innings or so for them. I don't think they have anybody else that could keep them in a ball game after that.

Dawg61
05-30-2014, 09:41 PM
JSU saved their "ace" too. Interestingly enough, he was the kid that hit the double and scored for them. It's possible that he could pitch a good 7 innings or so for them. I don't think they have anybody else that could keep them in a ball game after that.

Can we get a name and I'll find his stats. Assuming JSU has a website.

MSUDawg4Life
05-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Can we get a name and I'll find his stats. Assuming JSU has a website.

Desmond Russell.

Dawg61
05-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Desmond Russell.

5'8 170lb SR RH, 9-4 3.50 ERA in 100 IP, 1.25 whip, 83 ks

MadisonDawg
05-30-2014, 09:56 PM
nm

Bucky Dog
05-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Let's all stay cautiously optimistic and not get ahead of ourselves. Let's win tomorrow and not underestimate ULL being able to win out. One day at a time, baby!!

Political Hack
05-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Let's all stay cautiously optimistic and not get ahead of ourselves. Let's win tomorrow and not underestimate ULL being able to win out. One day at a time, baby!!

without a doubt. the guy JSU is throwing tomorrow has went 9 several times this season. He's good too. Win tomorrow and it becomes really tough for ULaLa to pull out of this and have enough pitching to win Sunday and Monday,

Bucky Dog
05-30-2014, 10:25 PM
There are just too many upsets and near upsets happening today to take anything for granted. Damn I don't think I've ever seen a first day like this in the regionals!

Pioneer Dawg
05-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Ross is JSU's bat speed for sure. We saw tonight he is NOT ULL's.

Let 17ing Hudson and 96-98 every single pitch blow them away tomorrow.

shoeless joe
05-30-2014, 10:35 PM
There are just too many upsets and near upsets happening today to take anything for granted. Damn I don't think I've ever seen a first day like this in the regionals!

May madness!!

Definitely an awesome day of baseball and it's not over yet.

smootness
05-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Ross is JSU's bat speed for sure. We saw tonight he is NOT ULL's.

Let 17ing Hudson and 96-98 every single pitch blow them away tomorrow.

Cohen said after the game that they knew all along they were going to go to Gentry against SDSU; they said they felt like he was the key to beating them because of the matchups, and they were dead on...which tells me they're going to make their decisions based more on who we're playing than the situation (game 2 of the regional).

Which means we likely won't see Mitchell tomorrow after seeing what a soft tosser did to ULL.

Todd4State
05-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Cohen said after the game that they knew all along they were going to go to Gentry against SDSU; they said they felt like he was the key to beating them because of the matchups, and they were dead on...which tells me they're going to make their decisions based more on who we're playing than the situation (game 2 of the regional).

Which means we likely won't see Mitchell tomorrow after seeing what a soft tosser did to ULL.

Exactly. I'd be really surprised if Ross pitches against JSU.

Irondawg
05-31-2014, 12:15 AM
tough call tomorrow for sure. Part of you wants to get ahead of yourself and save your best for sunday thinking you can beat JSU with anybody. The other part of cohen probably remembers losing to HC and Jacksonville State etc. and doesn't want to take anything for granted.

I have to lean toward throwing anyone not named Ross, Lingren, Holder, Laster tomorrow and just keep 2 guys loose at all times and stick with anybody that throws well for a period of time. If by some miracle we lost then we'd have Ross to get back to the final round hopefully and then ahve to beat JSU's #3 and #4 and honestly if we can't do that with our #4 and #5 then we dont' deserve it.

DudyDawg
05-31-2014, 12:27 AM
without a doubt. the guy JSU is throwing tomorrow has went 9 several times this season. He's good too. Win tomorrow and it becomes really tough for ULaLa to pull out of this and have enough pitching to win Sunday and Monday,

Think I saw somewhere that he is NCAA active leader in complete games and top 8 or so in K's with 260 something. Will put numbers in here when I find the tweet

DudyDawg
05-31-2014, 12:35 AM
According to Robbie Faulk on twitter, Desmond Russell is active NCAA leader in CG with 23 and fifth in K's with 296. Pretty impressive, even with SWAC schedule, so we don't need to look at this as a forgone conclusion

Dawg61
05-31-2014, 01:08 AM
According to Robbie Faulk on twitter, Desmond Russell is active NCAA leader in CG with 23 and fifth in K's with 296. Pretty impressive, even with SWAC schedule, so we don't need to look at this as a forgone conclusion

Here's the underlying beauty if we somehow lose to JSU's #1 SP tom. We then beat winner of SDSU/ULL and guess who we have to beat twice to get a SR? JSU and without their #1 and most likely #2. I fully expect us to win tom but if we don't the team we then have to beat twice later is JSU.

Todd4State
05-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Here's the underlying beauty if we somehow lose to JSU's #1 SP tom. We then beat winner of SDSU/ULL and guess who we have to beat twice to get a SR? JSU and without their #1 and most likely #2. I fully expect us to win tom but if we don't the team we then have to beat twice later is JSU.

Exactly. And that's another reason to save Ross. We can use him and Lindgren/Holder if we have to in the loser's bracket. After that, if we beat whoever then we should have enough to beat JSU's 3 and 4 even if it's our freshmen and Preston Brown that we have to throw. Except we will have Laster for one of those games and probably Bracewell and the the bullpen for the next game.