PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Tackles

justwin
05-30-2014, 09:46 AM
do we have at least 3 legitimate offensive tackles for next year? Clausell, Malone...who else?

Who can actually rely on to be a starter @ RT?

Rufus - never played it
Malone - hurt & a guard previously
Robinson - ????
Senior - too small
Jake Thomas - young
Joc Johnson - transfer & injured in the spring

how would you rank our top 3 tackles? I say Clausell, then Robinson I guess since he's a senior, then Malone.

HoopsDawg
05-30-2014, 09:53 AM
The simple answer is...we don't know. Clausell is the only proven tackle, fortunately he has 3 years experience on the left side.

Malone is the most likely candidate at RT. He certainly has the size. And he was athletic enough to play basketball in high school. He has recovered from his injury but it was unfortunate he missed the spring. Hevesey needs to ride his ass every day this fall to get him ready.

Beyond those 2, Damien Robinson is the most likely guy to be the swing tackle. He is a 5th year senior with massive size. He played better this spring and is really just a small notch below Siddoway.

I don't expect much from Joc Johnson, Rufus, Senior or Thomas at tackle this year.

Coach34
05-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Clausell and Malone will be fine. Warren will get better everyday- has great feet and learning the position more and more

Robinson can give us in game reps- he just doesn't need to be a full-time starter
Senior should be ready to play
Johnson will be fine and get better as season progresses

Goat Holder
05-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Good thing is we have the LT covered, which is the most critical. I know he's a 5th year senior that has been starting since 2011, but he got flat-backed an awful lot. He's no Derek Sherrod.

As typical, OL is the one position where we don't know what we've got, in a year when we have all the other needed weapons. We really need Johnson to come through for us here and be a reliable starter.

gtowndawg
05-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Seems like he's been here forever right now...much less next year.

engie
05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
How is Senior too small?

He's a legit 3rd tackle. Started one and played in all 13 last year and no one even really realized it. He's good in his own right -- and there is minimal dropoff from Clausell to him.

smootness
05-30-2014, 10:31 AM
How is Senior too small?

He's a legit 3rd tackle. Started one and played in all 13 last year and no one even really realized it. He's good in his own right -- and there is minimal dropoff from Clausell to him.

Thank you. Senior will play a good bit.

And I'm really not that worried about 2015, either. Senior should be able to step up at LT, then you'll have Malone, Danley, and Warren to battle it out at RT. My guess is that Danley becomes the starter there and Malone shifts back to G. My main concern for 2015 is C.

engie
05-30-2014, 10:33 AM
My main concern for 2015 is C.

I haven't seen it for myself -- but there's a rumor that Clayborn has been seeing practice time at the position and may shift there next year...

smootness
05-30-2014, 10:40 AM
I haven't seen it for myself -- but there's a rumor that Clayborn has been seeing practice time at the position and may shift there next year...

Interesting. Well, if that's the case, then my concern would shift to G, haha.

We'll just have to see how these young guys develop. We have a lot of young depth, we just need a few to step up - Thomas, Flowers, Desper. I would think we can find someone to play G out of the young guys we have. I think we recruited Calhoun as a C as well, but I'm not sure how high we are on him.

Political Hack
05-30-2014, 10:54 AM
plenty of inside talent on the roster. OT is the concern for 2015. Losing Clausell will hurt. I don't care what anyone says. We may have able bodied replacements but you don't just plug someone into a four year player's spot and not expect at least a little bit if a drop off. He's starting head and shoulders above the other guys for a reason.

2014 could be a platoon of guys at RT and still be fine. Keeping Clausell healthy and getting guys reps early is key and we have the schedule to make that happen.

Goat Holder
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Desper is the next center, from what I've seen.

deltadawg99
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Warren could be a good one depending on how quick he picks up the position. He certainly has the size and feet to play OT.

2015 is more a concern IMO. We've got to get Jamal Danley to come in and help transition at one of the tackle spots.

HoopsDawg
05-30-2014, 11:00 AM
How is Senior too small?

280 is really small for an SEC LT. Senior's playing time was limited to mop up duty other than a stint vs UT 2 years ago.

HoopsDawg
05-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Very doubtful.

maroonmania
05-30-2014, 11:01 AM

He was certainly signed to be but have been disappointed that he hasn't emerged more. He was an UA AA when we signed him out of HS but haven't heard much positive on him since he's been at MSU.

HoopsDawg
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM
He was certainly signed to be but have been disappointed that he hasn't emerged more. He was an UA AA when we signed him out of HS but haven't heard much positive on him since he's been at MSU.

He's looked a little better at guard. Clayborn is the best center on our roster. It's critical that we sign Rankin and Danley out of Juco. And some of these young guys have to develop particularly Kent Flowers and incoming signee Deion Calhoun.

smootness
05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
280 is really small for an SEC LT. Senior's playing time was limited to mop up duty other than a stint vs UT 2 years ago.

He's fine at his current size, and I'm sure he won't have an issue gaining 15-20 more pounds if he needs to.

Todd4State
05-30-2014, 12:02 PM

I thought that was a misprint? I think Senior is more like 300.

engie
05-30-2014, 12:09 PM
I thought that was a misprint? I think Senior is more like 300.

It is a misprint.

He started and played an Entire SEC game last year and the fact that no one remembers it or can seemingly tell me which game it was...as a second year player... speaks volumes to just how good Senior can be. He saw SIGNIFICANT snaps last year. As in more snaps than Clayborn significant.

HoopsDawg
05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't remember the game. Who was it against?

Homedawg
05-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Unless he makes a huge offseason jump, he won't be our next center.