PDA

View Full Version : Chase Vallot--MLB Draft

MsStateBaseball
05-29-2014, 04:34 PM
I have read a few articles about the draft. Vallot will not go in 1st round according to them. I would say late 2nd at the earliest. He has the bat but the experts I read expect him to move to another position.

engie
05-29-2014, 04:41 PM
I'd love to see him drop far enough to make it to MSU -- but don't see that part happening honestly...

DawgSaint
05-29-2014, 04:44 PM
How awesome would it be if we were able to get him on campus? Always a strange thing to pull against a kid getting drafted high, but hope we can sign him.

Dawg61
05-29-2014, 04:48 PM
And for the totally random, Cord Sandberg is still struggling. I can't even find 2014 stats.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=642045

smootness
05-29-2014, 04:53 PM
And for the totally random, Cord Sandberg is still struggling. I can't even find 2014 stats.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=642045

I don't know if you can say he's still struggling. He hasn't played yet this year, those are last year's stats.

maroonmania
05-29-2014, 04:56 PM
I'd love to see him drop far enough to make it to MSU -- but don't see that part happening honestly...

Guess we will have to see. Per the BA link I've put below once you get into the 3rd round it becomes a LOT easier for a guy to decide to go to college if he wants that experience. Even at the top of the 3rd round, per the slot values, the signing bonus is already down to around 800K. Good money but not money that couldn't be turned down if a guy really wants to experience college versus the minor league life.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2012/2613398.html

MetEdDawg
05-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Don't forget there is a pretty substantial supplemental 1st round. So being ranked 60th overall could land you in the supplemental 1st round. If he lands there, he would probably take it.

engie
05-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Guess we will have to see. Per the BA link I've put below once you get into the 3rd round it becomes a LOT easier for a guy to decide to go to college if he wants that experience. Even at the top of the 3rd round, per the slot values, the signing bonus is already down to around 800K. Good money but not money that couldn't be turned down if a guy really wants to experience college versus the minor league life.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2012/2613398.html

Most players have a rounded number in their head that they will require to sign. It's usually $500k, $750k, or $1mil. Without knowing his "number", it's hard to really say what the likelihood is. But I haven't seen anything projecting him as a college liability to MLB -- and have seen quite a bit the other way. Hopefully, he says the one cross word that makes MLB question his intentions, and if that happens, we will have a chance...

Todd4State
05-29-2014, 10:13 PM
Chase Vallot to me is a complete wild card. This sounds obvious, but we'll know more after the draft. We don't know if a team loves him and is willing to take him earlier than expected or if he will drop a little bit. It's too unpredictable at this point.

The supplemental first round is a little bit smaller this year than normal.

Based on where Vallot is rated, I would expect him to be in the second round, with his ceiling being the supplemental first round and then as low as the third round.

Todd4State
05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Most players have a rounded number in their head that they will require to sign. It's usually $500k, $750k, or $1mil. Without knowing his "number", it's hard to really say what the likelihood is. But I haven't seen anything projecting him as a college liability to MLB -- and have seen quite a bit the other way. Hopefully, he says the one cross word that makes MLB question his intentions, and if that happens, we will have a chance...

His mother is recovering from cancer, and I don't know how that affects him one way or the other, but it may be a factor.