PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV - ESPN3

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Can you get ESPN3 on DirecTV?

thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

TheRef
05-29-2014, 03:44 PM
ESPN3 is solely an internet based thing...having DirecTV has nothing to do with ESPN3. It all depends on your ISP.

TXDawg
05-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I think what he may be asking is whether or not the WatchESPN app will work if your TV provider is DTV. The answer to that is no.

As for ESPN3 on the computer, I have DTV for TV and Verizon as my ISP and it works just fine.

TheRef
05-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I think what he may be asking is whether or not the WatchESPN app will work if your TV provider is DTV. The answer to that is no.

As for ESPN3 on the computer, I have DTV for TV and Verizon as my ISP and it works just fine.

All you really have to be concerned with is your ISP. Your TV provider really has no say in whether or not WatchESPN will work.

TheDogFather
05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
All you really have to be concerned with is your ISP. Your TV provider really has no say in whether or not WatchESPN will work.

Tell that to Dish subscribers.

TheRef
05-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Tell that to Dish subscribers.

Is Dish that bad about it? Hmmmm....that's not cool, Dish.

TheDogFather
05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Is Dish that bad about it? Hmmmm....that's not cool, Dish.

Dish subs have ESPN3 access. Regardless of ISP. Just trying to clear things up since you were adamantly proclaiming the ISP thing. And which was is incorrect.

TheRef
05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Dish subs have ESPN3 access. Regardless of ISP. Just trying to clear things up since you were adamantly proclaiming the ISP thing. And which was is incorrect.

Fair enough. I've been corrected and I apologize for causing confusion. /steps out of thread

preachermatt83
05-29-2014, 11:17 PM

please explain. Im ignorant about this kind of stuff. I thought ESPN3 was only an online channel to watch the game. I have metrocast dsl and they do not carry ESPN3, but my satellite for watching TV is Dish.. I guess I just don't understand. Basically what do I need to do to watch the game if I have Metrocast internet but have Dish satellite ? I have just always assumed I could not watch the espn3 games!

rabbitthedawg
05-30-2014, 04:04 AM
You should get AppleTV! You then watch the game on your tv just as if it we're live! Use you iPhone or iPad to download from espn3!

TheDogFather
05-30-2014, 05:50 AM
please explain. Im ignorant about this kind of stuff. I thought ESPN3 was only an online channel to watch the game. I have metrocast dsl and they do not carry ESPN3, but my satellite for watching TV is Dish.. I guess I just don't understand. Basically what do I need to do to watch the game if I have Metrocast internet but have Dish satellite ? I have just always assumed I could not watch the espn3 games!

If you have Dish you can log onto ESPN3 with your Dish username and password. The same on you use for their website (online bill, account, etc). If you don't have one you can create one when you get on the first time. Dish and ESPN began their agreement just a few months ago.

It does not matter what ISP you use.

You can access WatchESPN (ESPN3) from the web (PC, tablet, phone), mobile apps (iPad, iphone, android), built in apps on gaming consoles (Wii, PS4), or best way is Apple TV. Apple TV has Built in WatchESPN app and WatchDisney app for the kids among others. All you need is an internet connection and your Dish login (or any other qualifying login - Some ISP's, some cable carriers, and recently Dish). You carry the Apple TV anywhere and use with internet access and watch in HD.

TheDogFather
05-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Let me clarify something.

There are other non apple streaming devices that do the same thing. Roku, Smart TV, Amazon has one I believe.

Also the Apple TV uses your wireless router for internet access and I don't think it has an Ethernet connection. May be wrong but you need a router I believe.

Also I live in the country with a small company witless ISP. The bandwidth is around 1.1 to 1.5 Mbps. This is just enough to watch without buffering all the time.

And Apple TV is not a full TV it's just a small black box. (My daughter thought she was getting a new TV)

TXDawg
05-30-2014, 07:53 AM
This has been a very confusing topic for me for quite a while. I just did a quick search to try to get some clarification and found the following:

You can't stream live ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNews, though, without an appropriate TV subscription. "WatchESPN" is confusing because it is an umbrella service for two separate things: ESPN3, which is tied to your ISP and live streaming of ESPN's traditional channels which is tied to your TV provider. Further complicating it is that on some devices you can't even watch ESPN3 without an appropriate TV subscription.

This accurately describes the situation I'm in because I have Verizon as my ISP and DTV as my "cable" provider. I can access and watch ESPN3 content on my computer (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/), but I can not utilize the WatchESPN app on my iPad because it requires a qualifying TV subscription and DTV does not quality.

What I still don't know is whether or not the WatchESPN app on AppleTV would allow me to view ESPN3 content or if I still need the qualifying TV subscription like I do for the iPad.

Yossarian
05-30-2014, 08:09 AM
What I still don't know is whether or not the WatchESPN app on AppleTV would allow me to view ESPN3 content or if I still need the qualifying TV subscription like I do for the iPad.[/QUOTE]

to send it from your phone or computer. You still have to qualify with your Internet or TV provider.

engie
05-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Hope this simplifies it for everyone:

ESPN3 -- aka programming not actually on TV -- is tied to your ISP. It's generally carried by the entire free world now to the best of my knowledge, although it was spotty when first introduced. It doesn't include data that's actually on the tube.

WatchESPN -- includes the programming actually being shown on the ESPN channels -- and is tied to your cable provider. This essentially started out as the mobile app allowing you to see ESPN events from cellular devices provided your subscriber paid ESPN the additional fee to partake in it. It's carried by most now -- but certainly not all. This also gives you access to espn3 content...

They fall under the same "WatchESPN" umbrella now, but they started out as 2 different things. Basically, if you have watchESPN, you've got it all. If you don't and just have espn3, you will have everything other than what is actually being shown live on the ESPN family of networks at that given time...

AROB44
05-30-2014, 08:30 AM
I have a "smart" TV. So, Dog Father, does that mean I can watch ESPN3 on my TV?

TheDogFather
05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
This has been a very confusing topic for me for quite a while. I just did a quick search to try to get some clarification and found the following:

You can't stream live ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNews, though, without an appropriate TV subscription. "WatchESPN" is confusing because it is an umbrella service for two separate things: ESPN3, which is tied to your ISP and live streaming of ESPN's traditional channels which is tied to your TV provider. Further complicating it is that on some devices you can't even watch ESPN3 without an appropriate TV subscription.

This accurately describes the situation I'm in because I have Verizon as my ISP and DTV as my "cable" provider. I can access and watch ESPN3 content on my computer (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/), but I can not utilize the WatchESPN app on my iPad because it requires a qualifying TV subscription and DTV does not quality.

What I still don't know is whether or not the WatchESPN app on AppleTV would allow me to view ESPN3 content or if I still need the qualifying TV subscription like I do for the iPad.

You will not be able to use Apple TV. It is equivalent to the apple app.

TheDogFather
05-30-2014, 08:39 AM

If you have a qualifying provider. I'm sure there is a list somewhere which I will try to find. All I know for sure is Dish is included because I use it all the time.

AND your smart TV has the watchespn app. Some do some don't.

chainedup_Dawg
05-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Depending on who your internet and/or cable provider is, yes.

For instance, if you had a Smart TV and had DirecTV for your "cable" provider while having someone like Metrocast as your internet provider, then you would be SOL is the way I understand it. However, if you had DirecTV as your "cable" provider and ATT as your internet provider then I believe you are good to go.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the exact issue my father is having.

AROB44
05-30-2014, 08:47 AM
I do have a qualifying provider --- AT&T U-Verse. Not sure about the app. TV is a new Samsung....will have to check on the app. Thanks for you info.

chainedup_Dawg
05-30-2014, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=AROB44;184669]I do have a qualifying provider --- AT&T U-Verse. Not sure about the app. TV is a new Samsung....will have to check on the app. Thanks for you info.[/

Yes, you are good to go. You should be able to access ESPN3 directly from your TV and not have to worry about anything, lucky. Looks like I'm gonna have to go buy an AppleTV

preachermatt83
05-30-2014, 11:14 AM
so I can go on my phone and watch the download the watch espn app and watch the game on my phone by using my dish net username and pw?

MSUTTT1
05-30-2014, 11:18 AM
so I can go on my phone and watch the download the watch espn app and watch the game on my phone by using my dish net username and pw?

yes this will work

hacker
05-30-2014, 11:20 AM
With a VPN or with a friend's espn3 account info, you can watch espn3 regardless of ISP. Legality may be a little grey.

preachermatt83
05-30-2014, 11:57 AM
yes this will work

yup! just tried and it worked!! awesome! Thanks guys!!

rcsteph1
05-30-2014, 04:21 PM
I got a new PNY A-DM-HD-W01 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter and connected my Macbook to my TV and watched today's game on the big screen. This is the best $8.91 I have ever spent!

WutheringDawg
05-30-2014, 05:04 PM
WatchESPN (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/affList?device=videosub)

ESPN 3 (http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList)