PDA

View Full Version : How can I hook Laptop to TV and watch ESPN3 ?

onetl
05-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Help an OLD man out!

DawgSaint
05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
First you will need a tv with a VGA port. The same cable that would hook to a monitor. Most likely color coded blue if you have it.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 09:52 AM
It would be easier from an IPhone or IPad...do you have one of those?

You can go to best buy and they will help you with the laptop setup, but it was a disaster for me a few years ago bc my laptop didn't have a HDMI port. If yours has one, it won't be hard.

DawgSaint
05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
If you have a Mac or IPad I would suggest purchasing an Apple TV. The best $100 I've spent in a long time.

spiritual_machine2005
05-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Apple TV. I agree the best $100 i spent in a while.

dickiedawg
05-29-2014, 09:58 AM
If you have a Mac or IPad I would suggest purchasing an Apple TV. The best $100 I've spent in a long time.

Ditto this. Talked my dad into buying one too. It's also great for netflix and HBO Go.

DawgSaint
05-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Apple TV. I agree the best $100 i spent in a while.

I have a Mac so don't know answer to this question....does Apple TV work with PC? I'm not sure...never tried it.

ToniBailey
05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
I plug my laptop to the tv with a HDMI cable. We use my laptop as our DVD player and internet viewing (such as HailStateTV). If your tv or laptop is not equipped with that, I am not sure. But I bet you can google it and find out!

Riotous Thinking
05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
If you have a laptop that was made in the last few years, it will possibly have a HDMI output, thin rectangular connection on the side or back of your laptop, then all you need is a HDMI cable to the TV. Even easier is getting a Roku box, cheaper than AppleTV, and adding the WatchESPN app to it. The same can be done with an Xbox 360, XboxOne, PS3 or PS4.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Yep, and you will end up spending $100 anyway, if you don't have an HDMI on your laptop....so Apple TV is 100% the best way to go. Not to mention it is a perfect HD picture when streaming through Apple TV. Without a doubt the best $100 you can spend when it comes to watching MSU sports.

As the two above me said....first check and see if you have a HDMI outlet....if not, start looking into Apple products

05-29-2014, 10:05 AM
This should help - see if you have any of these connections.

http://www.wikihow.com/Hook-Up-a-Laptop-to-a-TV

WutheringDawg
05-29-2014, 10:06 AM
it's all about google chromecast.

05-29-2014, 10:11 AM
it's all about google chromecast.

Or even this little guy that has WatchESPN built in.
http://multichannel.com/news/technology/roku-unleashes-its-chromecast-killer/325613

jumbo
05-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Apple TV has watchESPN (and several other apps) built in. I would highly recommend this route

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Apple TV has watchESPN (and several other apps) built in. I would highly recommend this route

Oh yea, I forgot about that...he would t even need an apple device other than the AppleTV then, correct?

I always stream from my IPad through AppleTV, but only bc I forgot it comes preloaded with WatchESPN. Good info, jumbo.

Onetl, this is 100% your best bet. Go buy the Apple TV for $100 and you're all set

Drugdog
05-29-2014, 10:37 AM

I have Apple TV and iPad. Question: Can I go to the watch Espn app on Apple TV and watch Espn 3 or do I have to go thru iPad as I normally do?

HereComesTheSpiral
05-29-2014, 10:39 AM
This might be a dumb question, but what kind of tv do you own? CRT, HD?

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 10:39 AM
I have Apple TV and iPad. Question: Can I go to the watch Espn app on Apple TV and watch Espn 3 or do I have to go thru iPad as I normally do?

I think you can just go straight through AppleTV and not have to tie up your IPad. Which is something I had forgotten about after streaming from HailState from my IPad so much this last few years. If so, we can watch the game without using our iPads, and therefore can use our iPads to bitch at Cohen's decisions and celebrate victories on EliteDawgs during the games.

Drugdog
05-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Thank you. Will be much easier. Sometimes I lose the feed thru iPad or iPhone and it gets frustrating. Thanks again.

TheDogFather
05-29-2014, 10:49 AM

You don't have to have a Mac or IPad to use Apple TV with ESPN3. The app is built into the Apple TV.

This is ABSOLUTELY the way to go

jumbo
05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
as the dogfather said, watchespn is built into apple tv, so you do not need a computer/ipad/iphone

Hypnodawg
05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I've got roku and like it.

dickiedawg
05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I found Chromecast to be essentially worthless.

jumbo
05-29-2014, 11:53 AM

I've heard nothing but bad things about Chromecast as well.

The Croom Diaries
05-29-2014, 11:58 AM
As the two above me said....first check and see if you have a HDMI outlet....if not, start looking into Apple products

This is definitely the way to go, but if you don't want to spend the money / are lazy then you can just take the blue modem hookup from your desktop and hook it up from your lap top to your TV. Most TVs have a jack for it. The problem is it won't be HD, but that's the price for being lazy and cheap.

TXDawg
05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Does the WatchESPN app on AppleTV have the same provider limitations as WatchESPN on iPad? I still can't believe DirecTV hasn't gotten on board with them yet.

I'm stuck having to connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI cable. It's not that bad, but I hate having the cables and cords stretched across my living room.

ScoobaDawg
05-29-2014, 12:08 PM

I use it to stream all our games on ESPN3 from my laptop. No problems.
It's not all i thought it was going to be due to limited app availability but if you are just trying to get a browser window from your computer to the tv.. It's cheap and works well.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Does the WatchESPN app on AppleTV have the same provider limitations as WatchESPN on iPad? I still can't believe DirecTV hasn't gotten on board with them yet.

I'm stuck having to connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI cable. It's not that bad, but I hate having the cables and cords stretched across my living room.

No limitations I have seen. Of course I have comcast internet modem too with wifi.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2014, 12:48 PM
AppleTV is by far the best thing to do. You can do laptop without having hdmi on laptop. You have to get a VGA to hdmi connector and it will convert to hdmi. Kind of a pain but it works fine. Only problem I had with it was the audio came out of my laptop which was low.