PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Buffalo River

3dawgnight15
05-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Going on the Buffalo for the first time in about a month. No trout in this river but I hear there are some good smallmouths. Anyone fished up there or had luck with smallies on a river that is similar? I am taking a light spinning reel and looking for some tips.

BeastMan
05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Not much smallmouth experience but from what I gather, that River is pretty clear. I'd spool up with fluorocarbon line to keep it from being seen. Natural color baits are probably better too. My #1 suggestion is ask some locals about the hot baits. They can help you the most

FISHDAWG
05-29-2014, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't go too light on the spinning outfit ... Smallies are known for hard fighting

3dawgnight15
05-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for some insight. I have a Shimano Stradic with a 5'5 rod. So far I have heard tubes are the best way to go with some smaller crank baits and in-line spinners (I call em Rooster Tails). Keepers are 14 inches so it will have to be a pretty good smallmouth but then again I have never fished for them so we will see.

BeastMan
05-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Good setup. I'm a Stradic fan

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-30-2014, 01:32 PM
It's not the same river, but I recently fished the White River near Mountain View and we had luck with rooster tails in a rusty brown color. If you've never been up that way before, you're in for a treat.