PDA

View Full Version : Worse case scenario gameplan thoughts

starkvegasdawg
05-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Got to wondering...if we go down there Friday and make SDSU the reincarnation of Holy Cross and lose that opening game and assuming ULL wins their game, do we hold Mitchell for the third game and pitch someone else against JSU or leave nothing to chance and burn him against the Tigers? I forgot what the score was when we played JSU earlier this season. I just remember it was close for the early part and then we pulled away late. Or, another alternate scenario, if we lose the first one do we hold Mitchell until the fourth game aginst ULL and try to win two elimination games against JSU and (assuming) SDSU with other pitchers?

If I were Cohen I would probably hold him against JSU but I might have a hard time holding him against SDSU again in that second elimination game unless that first game really left me thinking we could have or should have won that game.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 03:29 PM
If we lose game 1, I would pitch Laster vs JSU and then Mitchell against SDSU or ULL.

I would not risk holding Mitchell beyond that, bc you don't want to go home without even throwing your best arm

ScoobaDawg
05-28-2014, 03:56 PM
If we lose game 1, I would pitch Laster vs JSU and then Mitchell against SDSU or ULL.

I would not risk holding Mitchell beyond that, bc you don't want to go home without even throwing your best arm

Agree... God Forbid we go 2 and BBQ and mitchell never pitches well then that would just be a giant shit show and deserve to get sent home early.

RAYn_Man
05-28-2014, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't even throw Laster against JSU. If we can't beat Jackson State, we don't deserve to win the regional.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't even throw Laster against JSU. If we can't beat Jackson State, we don't deserve to win the regional.

Yea, Laster would be the best pitcher I'd throw, but we could always start Tatum or Hudson and see what happens.

maroonmania
05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Got to wondering...if we go down there Friday and make SDSU the reincarnation of Holy Cross and lose that opening game ...

Might as well stop there because if that happens we are toast and it really matters little what decisions we make with our pitching staff.

basedog
05-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Say what you want, the way this team has played hot and cold you have to pitch your ace in the first game. I hope we pitch Mitchell and he pitches 9 strong innings. We aren't a good enough team to think we will out hit anyone and Mitchell gives us our best shot in game one. After we win game one then we worry about who pitches against ULL. Also with the weather being a hit and miss, Mitchell is the type of pitcher that could sit for a while and come back in!

DownwardDawg
05-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Say what you want, the way this team has played hot and cold you have to pitch your ace in the first game. I hope we pitch Mitchell and he pitches 9 strong innings. We aren't a good enough team to think we will out hit anyone and Mitchell gives us our best shot in game one. After we win game one then we worry about who pitches against ULL. Also with the weather being a hit and miss, Mitchell is the type of pitcher that could sit for a while and come back in!

That would be stupid. Mitchell cannot start on a Friday. Can't do it. Hell, last year he couldn't start at all. You throw Fitts Friday and Mitchell Saturday. Mitchell will give us 8 or 9 innings Saturday.

TheRef
05-28-2014, 06:03 PM
We are starting Fitts...confirmed.

basedog
05-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Please, starting Mitchell wouldn't have been stupid.

smootness
05-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Please, starting Mitchell wouldn't have been stupid.

Maybe not, but it wouldn't have been smart.

Quaoarsking
05-28-2014, 10:39 PM
If we play Jackson State in the loser's bracket, pitch Gentry and Tatum. They'll be enough. Then pitch Mitchell on Sunday afternoon and have Laster available to go deep in the Sunday night game.

If by some miracle Jackson State beats ULL and we play them in the winner's bracket, throw Laster and save Mitchell for the Sunday night game.