PDA

View Full Version : Pastornicky

msstate7
05-27-2014, 08:20 PM
He's terrible at 2nd. I've seen enough. Pena, lastella, or a trade is gonna have to play 2b.

Irondawg
05-27-2014, 08:46 PM
I honestly don't know what is keeping them from at least giving La Stella a shot. The other 3 guys have been beyond terrible.

MetEdDawg
05-27-2014, 08:50 PM
There's been talk that we might go to the Diamondbacks and get Prado back to play 2B. I would be cool with that. Stick him in the two hole, drop BJ down to 7/8 when Gattis catches and 6/7 when Laird catches.

Brandon Phillips may be on the trade block but I really hope we don't go after him. He's on the wrong side of 30 and just doesn't have what he had 3 or 4 years ago. I would like to see us go after the Twins Brian Dozier. They are 2 games under .500 and 5.5 back of the Tigers, so they may be looking to deal in the next two months if they get in a hole they can't get out of. Dozier does have around a 24% strikeout rate, but he's got 11 homers and 26 RBI on a Twins team that's 10th in the AL in runs scored. He's from Tupelo and went to Southern Miss, so maybe a change of scenery back down to the south would be something good. And he's only 27. Still a young guy.

starkvegasdawg
05-27-2014, 08:50 PM
#Gonzalezing

msstate7
05-27-2014, 09:01 PM
There's been talk that we might go to the Diamondbacks and get Prado back to play 2B. I would be cool with that. Stick him in the two hole, drop BJ down to 7/8 when Gattis catches and 6/7 when Laird catches.

Brandon Phillips may be on the trade block but I really hope we don't go after him. He's on the wrong side of 30 and just doesn't have what he had 3 or 4 years ago. I would like to see us go after the Twins Brian Dozier. They are 2 games under .500 and 5.5 back of the Tigers, so they may be looking to deal in the next two months if they get in a hole they can't get out of. Dozier does have around a 24% strikeout rate, but he's got 11 homers and 26 RBI on a Twins team that's 10th in the AL in runs scored. He's from Tupelo and went to Southern Miss, so maybe a change of scenery back down to the south would be something good. And he's only 27. Still a young guy.

I'd love to get prado back. One of my all time favorite players

MetEdDawg
05-27-2014, 09:05 PM

I agree. I miss his style of play. Hard nosed and always at 110%. Him and Simmons in the middle would be a sick combo, but the hitting for average with RISP that he brings to the table would be a tremendous help. And now that Heyward and Justin Upton are hot, he could really help this offense explode. He would provide some legit protection in the 2 hole for both Heyward and Freeman because of that.

Pretty sure we could get him for a reasonable price too. Doubt we would have to give up too terribly much to get him back.

KB21
05-27-2014, 09:14 PM
For some reason, I don't think the Braves are as high on Tommy La Stella as the fans are. You would think that he would get the first chance to replace Uggla once the inevitable happened, which it has. Instead, they are giving Ramiro Pena and Tyler Pastornicky the shot, and I'd be willing to bet that the next guy that gets a chance is Phil Gosselin, not Tommy La Stella. The Braves seem to like players that have a lot of power, or players that have a lot of speed. They don't like solid contact guys that don't have a lot of speed and don't have a lot of power like La Stella, unless his name is Gerald Laird and he looks like Fredi.

I think in the Braves view, Jose Peraza is the likely long term second baseman. I'm a Braves fan, but they don't seem to appreciate players who just put good wood on the ball and make contact, don't strike out much, and have great plate discipline.

msstate7
05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
I think the knock on lastella is the same as pastornicky's. Neither can play defense.

KB21
05-27-2014, 09:23 PM
More on this, La Stella's currently has a 6.7% strike out rate right now compared to a 12.4% walk rate. That's ridiculous plate discipline!! You would think this team, with a line up that will likely lead the majors in strike outs, would love to have a guy that doesn't strike out much in the line up.

Here is what the Braves are looking at though. La Stella is slugging 0.344, which is a career low for him (0.473 in AA last year), and he has a 0.049 ISO (0.131 ISO in AA ball last year). IMO, he's got more pop than he has shown this year, but I think the Braves don't think he will defend well enough to offset his lack of power and lack of speed.

Dawg61
05-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Braves won't be the only ones looking to deal for 2b help. Giants are another most likely. Scutaro is still hurt and might be done with baseball and Hicks is a great fielder but only hitting .195. 8 HR though.

War Machine Dawg
05-27-2014, 10:46 PM
I think the knock on lastella is the same as pastornicky's. Neither can play defense.

This.

Also, I've seen at least one DOB article in the AJC saying that management had some concerns about some of his mechanics at the plate. Thought that they wouldn't hinder him in the minors if he kept them, but might be a problem in The Show. They made some changes and ideally wanted him to spend this year in AAA working on the new swing. But this whole Uggla situation is essentially about to force their hand in calling him up soon.

War Machine Dawg
05-27-2014, 10:49 PM

Who do I have to kill for us to get Prado back on the team? Not really even joking. LOVE that dude. Not to mention he'd bring a ginormous set of balls to a team that could use another pair. And he'd be the fixture to solidify the 2-hole.

msstate7
05-28-2014, 07:23 AM
It's amazing to me that pastornicky was actually our opening day ss 2 years ago. How in the world did someone think he'd be an MLB ss? He's severely deficient at 2b...