PDA

View Full Version : Chase Vallot

I seen it dawg
05-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Named Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year. Congrats future Dawg!

messageboardsuperhero
05-27-2014, 04:48 PM
And Austin Riley was named Gatorade Player of the Year in Mississippi as a junior.

Getting those two on campus would be massive- hell, getting just one of them would be big.

smootness
05-27-2014, 04:53 PM
And Austin Riley was named Gatorade Player of the Year in Mississippi as a junior.

Getting those two on campus would be massive- hell, getting just one of them would be big.

Absolutely. Vallot would instantly transform our lineup. Suddenly we could go Humphreys-Collins-Vallot in the heart of the order with guys like Heck/Holland/Vickerson/Robson? setting the table and have some legitimate power threats.

Dawg61
05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Named Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year. Congrats future Dawg!

So you're telling me we landed the best player in LA over LSU and #1 ULL? Impressive

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 05:28 PM
So you're telling me we landed the best player in LA over LSU and #1 ULL? Impressive

#Cohening

I seen it dawg
05-27-2014, 05:30 PM
His high school, St.Thomas More, won the 4A state title in dominating fashion. It's located in.....Lafayette, La.

Dawg61
05-27-2014, 05:54 PM
His high school, St.Thomas More, won the 4A state title in dominating fashion. It's located in.....Lafayette, La.

Can he get us tickets?**

I seen it dawg
05-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Can he get us tickets?**

Haha! I would imagine he scores one

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Haha! I would imagine he scores one

I have seen him play. A teammate's dad told me he is turning pro, projected high pick.

Harrydawg
05-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Yes, I am afraid that Vallot will never see a college campus to play baseball but have have plenty of ther talent patiently waiting...

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Chase is a close relative of mine, and I must say that you guys would be getting a special young man next year (both on and off the field). Draft is one week from tomorrow, and our family is looking forward to the possibilities of course. I know he will make the best decision and I support him completely, but I'd love for him to play college ball. Good luck this weekend coming to Lafayette, looking forward to a great Regional!

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Chase is a close relative of mine, and I must say that you guys would be getting a special young man next year (both on and off the field). Draft is one week from tomorrow, and our family is looking forward to the possibilities of course. I know he will make the best decision and I support him completely, but I'd love for him to play college ball. Good luck this weekend coming to Lafayette, looking forward to a great Regional!

Great post, thanks. Looking forward to the Regional, and hopefully Chase wants to play college ball too.

MarketingBully01
05-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Thanks for posting! Hope he comes to MSU but if he is a first rounder he should go pro. Good luck this weekend except when playing us of course. I think this should be a fun regional.

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks Guys....looking forward to a fun regional. It's a great time to be a Cajun alum with the success we are having in athletics! I was excited at Chase's decision for MSU (of course....an uncle can only influence so much otherwise he would be a Ragin Cajun) :)

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Post more often!

smootness
05-28-2014, 01:27 PM
He's obviously a high risk to go pro, I don't think anyone is actually counting on him to come to State. But we need to keep signing guys like this and start getting a few to show up on campus. My guess is that if he's 2nd round he's gone and that if he's 3rd or 4th we may have a shot to get him.

But it seems like most really high picks who are going to go to school have already basically said they will definitely be going to college by this point.

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 01:30 PM
He's obviously a high risk to go pro, I don't think anyone is actually counting on him to come to State. But we need to keep signing guys like this and start getting a few to show up on campus. My guess is that if he's 2nd round he's gone and that if he's 3rd or 4th we may have a shot to get him.

But it seems like most really high picks who are going to go to school have already basically said they will definitely be going to college by this point.

Smootness...you know something I dont know? ;) Well stated however

smootness
05-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Smootness...you know something I dont know? ;) Well stated however

Haha obviously not, just trying to hold out some bit of hope. He would be absolutely huge for us to land.

maroonmania
05-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Haha obviously not, just trying to hold out some bit of hope. He would be absolutely huge for us to land.

I personally don't feel that its worth skipping the college experience unless you get life altering money which would be more like the Top couple of rounds. Playing minor league ball just isn't the same.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Do catchers get drafted in the top 4 rounds straight out of HS often? I know Bryce Harper did.

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Do catchers get drafted in the top 4 rounds straight out of HS often? I know Bryce Harper did.

There are a couple HS catchers projected to go in Round 1 in this year's draft (Chase being one of them)...more within the first 4 (so yes to answer your question). We had a kid from here a couple years ago (Think he was somewhere around 27th) that got drafted as well (Stryker Trahan). Some that get drafted dont stick behind the plate. Depends on what skills they are looking for of course. With Chase, they like his bat and power...but his receiving skills and arm is not shabby either, so he's one of the ones that can either stay behind the plate...or perhaps the club would move to OF, or 1B. I like his chances at staying behind the plate personally.

smootness
05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
You're hearing Round 1? Everything I've seen has him maybe mid- to low-2nd round at best.

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Wishful thinking perhaps :) I would be suprised low 2nd round to be honest though

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-28-2014, 02:54 PM
I havent seen anywhere that says round 1. I was thinking 3rd myself.

I hope he goes in the 1st round though and turns it down.

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 03:11 PM
I havent seen anywhere that says round 1. I was thinking 3rd myself.

Ok..I havent seen 3rd at all, but what do I know? We can all agree between rounds 1-10 haha

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Say he does come here. Does that mean we move Collins to 1b and Vallot starts day 1 as the C?

smootness
05-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Say he does come here. Does that mean we move Collins to 1b and Vallot starts day 1 as the C?

My guess is that Collins stays at C and Vallot either switches to 1B or DH's.

Todd4State
05-28-2014, 04:23 PM
My guess is that Collins stays at C and Vallot either switches to 1B or DH's.

Depends on Wes Rea. If we get Vallot, both he and Collins will catch and DH when not catching. First base is an option only if Rea doesn't come back.

RossDawg82
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Was Harper a catcher in high school? Joe Mauer was the #1 overall in 2001

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Depends on Wes Rea. If we get Vallot, both he and Collins will catch and DH when not catching. First base is an option only if Rea doesn't come back.

I know it has been discussed, but do you really think Rea could go pro? I would be shocked if he didn't return next season, unless he quits altogether, which I don't see. The pros don't want a 300 lb opposite field slapper. I am in the camp that would like to see him back next year. He frustrates me at times, but it's always better to have a Senior with big RBI's in his career as an option, and then hope that someone better steps up to beat him out or force him into a different role.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Yup and he got his GED early so he could play Juco and then get drafted. His one year of Juco (which uses wooden bats) he hit 31 HR and batted .443 and had 98 rbis. He won the Golden Spikes award for the best amateur in the country and was drafted #1 by the Nationals with the full intention to move him to the OF because they already had Wilson Ramos at C. The Nats took Harper one year after taking Strasburg #1. The Nats killed it in the draft those two years.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 04:39 PM
No way Rea is going pro this year unless he is just hellbent on going pro no matter where he's drafted. I'd love to have him back one more year. He was unreal last year in the post-season and i don't see any reason he can't get back to being that player again for us.

smootness
05-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Yup and he got his GED early so he could play Juco and then get drafted. His one year of Juco (which uses wooden bats) he hit 31 HR and batted .443 and had 98 rbis. He won the Golden Spikes award for the best amateur in the country and was drafted #1 by the Nationals with the full intention to move him to the OF because they already had Wilson Ramos at C. The Nats took Harper one year after taking Strasburg #1. The Nats killed it in the draft those two years.

They got lucky that those guys were there those two years. Most years the #1 pick is a bit of a crapshoot; those were two of the best draft prospects of all-time in back-to-back years. Of course, we'll see if Strasburg can stay healthy.

They also got lucky a couple of years ago that Rendon fell to them. I'm not that impressed with their personnel moves overall, though. They have a big payroll, so they have talent, but they can't seem to put it all together after their one breakthrough year in 2012.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Nats are overrated but in all fairness they have been really unlucky with injuries the last 2 years. Harper(multiple), R. Zimmerman(multiple), J. Zimmerman, Gio, Werth (multiple), LaRoche, Span, Ramos have all spent time on the DL.

Todd4State
05-28-2014, 04:52 PM
I know it has been discussed, but do you really think Rea could go pro? I would be shocked if he didn't return next season, unless he quits altogether, which I don't see. The pros don't want a 300 lb opposite field slapper. I am in the camp that would like to see him back next year. He frustrates me at times, but it's always better to have a Senior with big RBI's in his career as an option, and then hope that someone better steps up to beat him out or force him into a different role.

Short answer- no. And I think that people that want him gone are being silly. That said, it can't be totally ruled out even though I think there is about a 95% chance of Wes coming back.

Most likely scenario- Gavin is our catcher, Wes stays, Vallot goes pro. With Vallot it depends on where he is drafted, if the team will go above slot, and if his parents let him sign, which I imagine they will.

Todd4State
05-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Yes, and so was Jason Werth and Hunter Renfroe. I do think that Vallot can stick at catcher though.

Jacksondevildog
05-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Funny that I made the same comment about him maybe playing first base or outfield at State and people blasted me because of it.
There are a couple HS catchers projected to go in Round 1 in this year's draft (Chase being one of them)...more within the first 4 (so yes to answer your question). We had a kid from here a couple years ago (Think he was somewhere around 27th) that got drafted as well (Stryker Trahan). Some that get drafted dont stick behind the plate. Depends on what skills they are looking for of course. With Chase, they like his bat and power...but his receiving skills and arm is not shabby either, so he's one of the ones that can either stay behind the plate...or perhaps the club would move to OF, or 1B. I like his chances at staying behind the plate personally.

MsStateBaseball
05-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Read an article on Chases mother. She has (had) breast cancer. Says it made home a much stronger individual. Doesn't say what affect it has on his decision, etc. One could only speculate. Only way to know is if he is drafted high he told mlb he wants to go.

Laf_Cajun
05-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Read an article on Chases mother. She has (had) breast cancer. Says it made home a much stronger individual. Doesn't say what affect it has on his decision, etc. One could only speculate. Only way to know is if he is drafted high he told mlb he wants to go.

Its a great article and speaks to his ties with family. She is doing great...long journey, but light at the end of the tunnel. Chase became stronger this year because of it I believe.

Thrill1
05-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Can't imagine the decision he will soon face, but this article about Tyler Beede reminds us that kids turn the money down all the time. Florida's Karsten Whitson is another recent one, although I'm not sure of the offer. I hope Chase gives the MSU/college experience equal thought during the process.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/beede-wont-look-back/?sm_id=social_20140529_24896866

smootness
05-29-2014, 01:36 PM
I hope Chase knows State fans will be tracking his career, even if he decides to go pro. I've always followed and rooted for the guys who signed with State but never made it to campus, in all sports - Monta Ellis, Jonathan Bender, Travis Outlaw, Billy Hamilton, Corey Dickerson. Heck, I even cheer for Rodney Hood.