PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2014 FIFA World Cup

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Any of you guys looking forward to watching the World Cup? I have recently gotten interested in Soccer and have been a casual fan the past 2 World Cups. However this year I am really looking forward to it and not just Watching the US but some of the other teams as well. I'm still not sure why the US's coach cut our all time leading scorer Landon Donovan from the 23 man roster for Brazil.

Just a question for any of you big soccer fans, where are some good places to watch the World Cup USA matches at here in Mississippi? Many of the matches will be evening and night kickoffs so they will be easier to watch then when the cup was in Germany, and South Africa. I know the Keg and Barrel is a good spot in Hattiesburg, what about other places like Jackson, the Coast, and Memphis area.

smootness
05-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm pumped. I've always liked the World Cup, but I got really into it back in 2006 for the first time. 4 years ago, I had to take several early lunches in order to catch US games; this year I might just take whole days off.

In regard to Donovan, people have had all kinds of theories. It does appear that we probably told Julian Green (18-year-old American-born German player for Bayern Munich) that we would put him on the WC roster if he decided to play for the US, and I think that will prove to be a very good move because he is a legit prospect, even if he's not ready yet. But I don't think that's what pushed Donovan out because we could have easily just put him on the roster over Brad Davis, who almost assuredly won't play at all.

I think it was a combination of the fact that Donovan isn't what he used to be and probably wouldn't start, his conditioning is not up to the standards Klinsmann requires, and I think Klinsmann questioned his heart and desire after he took several months off and essentially retired, and claimed he didn't want to play in Brazil. He did come back after that, but I think he's viewed him differently since.

I don't love that he isn't on the team, but I don't think it matters much; he probably wouldn't have played a big role.

DudyDawg
yes, I'm very excited to watch the World Cup this year. Mostly because I see it as one of the most talent laden world cups I can remember as far as individuals go. The talent level is tremendous on a lot of teams, and I think there are many story lines that make it interesting (Donovan, Nasri out, Brazil hosting as soccer crazy as they are, the protests). I think it will be a very good World Cup for fans of the game, but unfortunately not for us as American fans.

esplanade91
I imagine it'll be hard to go anywhere in America the next month that doesn't have at least decent coverage.

Donovan got cut because he's at best marginally better than the guys he was replaced with, although I'll argue they're better, and we have our eyes on 2018. I think people are making a big fuss about experience and it's not warranted. Jurgen won a cup as the #1 player for his team his first go around. These guys are all pro's.

People are selling America short. We've got a defense, we just need some of our players to come through with scoring. Altidore, Johannson, and several others have done it, just not consistently. It's hard to really gauge that because none of them have ever really played together in the same game all at the same time. When Johannson plays, Altidore is in Europe. Beasley is out. Jones and Beckerman both play because Bradley is away. List goes on. Tonight should be telling, although I wouldn't put too much weight on us beating a team that ranks around #200.

B-dubs is where I'd be at in Hattie.

DownwardDawg
05-27-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't watch soccer at all but I really enjoyed watching the last World Cup. I loved the damn Vuvuzela's! I'm looking forward to watching some of the games.

DownwardDawg
05-27-2014, 03:34 PM
I imagine it'll be hard to go anywhere in America the next month that doesn't have at least decent coverage.

Donovan got cut because he's at best marginally better than the guys he was replaced with, although I'll argue they're better, and we have our eyes on 2018. I think people are making a big fuss about experience and it's not warranted. Jurgen won a cup as the #1 player for his team his first go around. These guys are all pro's.

B-dubs is where I'd be at in Hattie.

B-dubs???

esplanade91
05-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings. Especially on any of their "specials" days.

DownwardDawg
05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings. Especially on any of their "specials" days.

Gotcha. Haven't been there in a while. Completely forgot it was even there.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
B-dubs???

Buffalo Wild Wings

Dawg61
05-27-2014, 03:41 PM
My sleeper pick to win it all is Argentina. I figure Lionel Messi can truly solidify his place among the all-time best with a WC win and he's at his prime right now. This is his best year to do it.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 03:46 PM
My sleeper pick to win it all is Argentina. I figure Lionel Messi can truly solidify his place among the all-time best with a WC win and he's at his prime right now. This is his best year to do it.

Its gonna be very, very hard for anybody to Beat Brazil in Brazil. I don't think they have lost an international match in Brazil in years.

smootness
05-27-2014, 03:47 PM

I agree on Messi, but I just can't see them winning it. They have a ton of offensive firepower, though; I just don't see them playing sound enough overall soccer to get it done. I'm interested to see Brazil, too; a lot of people are making them out to be big favorites, and obviously they're at home, but I don't know. I've always cheered for Brazil when the US isn't playing, but I just see them disappointing for some reason.

My money is on either Germany or Spain again. Spain is getting older, but I wouldn't sleep on them just yet.

esplanade91
05-27-2014, 03:51 PM
I like Germany.

DudyDawg
05-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Messi just doesn't get it done for them on the big stage. The offensive weapons they have are elite (Messi, Higuain, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Aguerro), but their midfield isn't anything to write home about and the defense is worse. I don't see anyway they win it, mostly bc of that lack of defense and Messi's previous struggles in international ball.

DudyDawg
05-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Obviously its easy to bet on Germany, Spain, and Brazil. Germany is easily the most complete team in the world and didn't lose a game in qualifying, only dropping one point.
If there is a sleeper to me, its Italy. they are very talented in all areas, have an experienced keeper, and keep the Italian trend of a strong defense going. They're not necessarily a huge sleeper, but for a team to win that isn't favored, I would bet on them.

Intramural All-American
05-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Belgium is gonna be a really, really tough out. They are absolutely loaded, and they are young, too.

TheRef
05-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Shameless plug here, we have created an EliteDawgs World Cup Bracket Challenge if any of y'all would like to participate. I'm not sure if we will have prizes *cough* Mods *cough* but it'll be fun nevertheless.

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-bracket-predictor/2014/en/group?groupID=14502

It_Could_Happen
05-27-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm a pretty casual fan. I will watch the American games and keep up with scores on the others. My pick to win it all is the Germans. They have way to much offensive firepower.

DudyDawg
05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Shameless plug here, we have created an EliteDawgs World Cup Bracket Challenge if any of y'all would like to participate. I'm not sure if we will have prizes *cough* Mods *cough* but it'll be fun nevertheless.

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-bracket-predictor/2014/en/group?groupID=14502

Ref, what's the deadline for submitting and how many brackets can we have

TheRef
05-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Ref, what's the deadline for submitting and how many brackets can we have

You can fill out your bracket until kickoff of the first match. You can submit 1 bracket. Unless there is a majority opinion to allow more than that.

smootness
05-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Belgium is gonna be a really, really tough out. They are absolutely loaded, and they are young, too.

Belgium has a lot of talent, but it seems like every World Cup there's one or two teams like this that people are picking to suddenly hit the big-time, and it seems like just about every time, they fizzle out and you're left with Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, etc. at the end.

Colombia, Mexico, Greece, Ukraine - they've all been seen as 'sleeper picks' over the last couple of decades at times, and it seems like they usually disappoint.

So I guess my point is, I'll believe it when I see it with Belgium.

Pioneer Dawg
05-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Watch out for Uruguay

SouthMsDawg
05-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Watch out for Uruguay

Depends on Suarez, plus they are grouped with England and Italy. Gonna be tough for them to get out of that group

alanwade
06-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Fellas! Look what I have found for unrestricted and buffer free streaming of Football World Cup 2014. A right solution called PureVPN. There is a complete guide for all online broadcasters as well that it makes it so easy to choose online broadcaster for fifa (http://www.purevpn.com/blog/where-to-watch-football-world-cup-2014-live/) of your native language. So, give it a try this summer because I tried it for Sochi and I highly recommend it for FIFA too.

Vandownbytheriver
06-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Germany lost a key player in a friendly, Marco Reus. He's a big time attacking midfielder. Gonna slow them down a bit. I expect Spain, England, Germany, and Brazil to play well. Don't count out the Dutch either. My only hope for this WC for us is to get out of the group stage. A 3 and out would not surprise me at all.

As far as Donovan goes, when he decided to take his "Into the Wild" type trip, it cost him his spot. You can't leave for several months during a time when the team is being formed and expect to come back. Soccer is a game that requires 100% dedication and he simply didn't have it this go around.

smootness
06-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Germany lost a key player in a friendly, Marco Reus. He's a big time attacking midfielder. Gonna slow them down a bit. I expect Spain, England, Germany, and Brazil to play well. Don't count out the Dutch either. My only hope for this WC for us is to get out of the group stage. A 3 and out would not surprise me at all.

As far as Donovan goes, when he decided to take his "Into the Wild" type trip, it cost him his spot. You can't leave for several months during a time when the team is being formed and expect to come back. Soccer is a game that requires 100% dedication and he simply didn't have it this go around.

Losing Reus hurts, but if there's any team who could afford to lose an attacking midfielder, it's probably Germany...Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Gotze, they're absolutely loaded. It's pretty ridiculous, actually.

In regard to Uruguay, they finished 4th last time so they're not exactly an up-and-comer. Having said that, I think England's young talent pushes them over Uruguay; I don't think they're deep enough to make a run this time.