PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Recruiting

state66
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I saw a thread about our team next year and who is returning next year and what not but I wanna talk about our recruiting class and who we think can make an immediate contribution next year. For all the baseball guys who are we looking at to make a a huge impact next year, this is from what I understand a pitching heavy class with Sexton,Hudson, Tatum, Houston, and Humphreys (Primary 3B candidate or better pitcher?). Whose the hoss in that group that we can expect big things out of. Next would be position players from what I have seen is we need a third baseman and a right fielder as well as catcher. Unless our outfield is Bradford CF, Robson LF/RF, or Henderson LF/RF which I dont particularly like. I expect Frazier to be back but could be wrong cause anything can happen in the draft. Back to recruiting do we have any impact outfielders coming in and what about third I have heard Humpreys is good but is he good enough to start on opening day and be a threat with a bat. What about Rooker at third? Last but not least is catcher I watched Garner in the fall and he catches good but struggled with the bat in my perception. I think catcher is his to lose but do we have a guy coming in that can compete?

After all that do we know who in this class is possible of being drafted and not ever stepping foot on campus?

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Dakota Hudson is the main one we have to worry about with the draft, followed by Gavin Collins. At this point, I would say that odds are most likely we will get all but one guy with that being Hudson, but we'll see where he is actually drafted.

Reid Humphries is probably the main one I am looking at as far as making an immediate impact. I don't think he will pitch in college- he had Tommy John surgery last year. Gavin Collins is probably number two as far as immediate impact. He can catch, play third, and the corner outfield spots.

Brent Rooker could play third base, but I think his long term future is at first base. Rooker can run as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as an outfielder.

I think most of the freshmen pitchers will be brought along slowly- like John Marc Shelly this year. I do think that Dakota Hudson could compete for a weekend spot or midweek spot though.

As far as Garner, I don't think the job is his to lose at all. Cohen likes to play two catchers, so I think Cody Walker (the JUCO catcher) and Collins will push him for the job. And I wouldn't count Zach Randolph out either.

engie
05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Humphries starts day 1 on the left side of the infield IMO. He is a 5+ homerun threat in year 1. Vickerson will play somewhere IMO -- and if he doesn't that's great for he development of 2 other corner outfielders. Ingram, Rooker, and Collins are all threats to get on the field early as well. Collins is an elite HS catcher that can play practically anywhere -- and we've got a couple JUCOs coming that should be able to compete.

http://mississippistate.scout.com/2/1096867.html

state66
05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys I love talking recruiting. Do you think we are a better offensive team next year than we are this year because my personal opinion is that the latter half of our lineup is weak and once again I may be wrong as this is my personal take but I think its something we need to improve on.

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys I love talking recruiting. Do you think we are a better offensive team next year than we are this year because my personal opinion is that the latter half of our lineup is weak and once again I may be wrong as this is my personal take but I think its something we need to improve on.

Probably not unless Wes Rea hits like Hunter Renfroe this year. Believe it or not, I actually think that is possible if he stays healthy. He needs at bats this summer. If Adam Frazier and CT Bradford come back, that would be a huge boost as well.

Brett Pirtle is going to the Cape- he has really progressed big time.