PDA

View Full Version : ULL is the consensus #1 team in America

The Croom Diaries
05-27-2014, 12:09 PM
They may be #6 according to the committee, but all 5 major polls say they are #1.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/05/27/louisiana-lafayette-consensus-1-team/

ScoobaDawg
05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Makes it look better when we Beat them this weekend. (Hopefully)

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2014, 02:02 PM
They may be #6 according to the committee, but all 5 major polls say they are #1.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/05/27/louisiana-lafayette-consensus-1-team/

Yup, for people who watch baseball games, they are the best team in the country.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Yup, for people who watch baseball games, they are the best team in the country.

They are a good team, but Jesus, you would think we were facing the damn San Francisco Giants this weekend based on your posts. I would say the truth lies somewhere in the extremely large area between you and curmudgeon's viewpoints.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 02:19 PM
For uneducated people that watch baseball, they sure do look sexy with all those home runs, extra base hits and such don't they?

I think they are a good team. But they are possibly the weakest national seed since Coastal Carolina in 2007. Another sexy no name team that hit a bunch of home runs until they faced average ACC pitching.

The champions of ULL's conference last year look big bad and scary headed into the regional as a underrated 2 seed. What happened? They went 2 and BBQ?

quickstrike2
05-27-2014, 02:20 PM
ULL is strong, but first we need to take care of business on Friday to get a chance at them. I am nervous about playing them, but I was nervous about going against Oregon State and that pitcher that was like 15-1 with a below 2 era, but we stood up to challenge not once but twice against those guys in Omaha. The odds are against us this weekend, but if we show up and play good baseball anything can happen.

Goat Holder
05-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Actually, you have it dead wrong.

Goat Holder
05-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Agreed. Pollsters like 'sexy'. Committee is more likely to get it right than the pollsters.

ScoobaDawg
05-27-2014, 02:38 PM
They bunt a lot.
Thanks for the free outs - Will James.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Actually, you have it dead wrong.

How do you know?

Goat Holder
05-27-2014, 04:07 PM
How do you know?

I don't. Nobody does until this tournament plays out. But most of the time the polls are popularity contests put voted on by a bunch of journalists or whatever, in every sport. At least the committee sits down, looks at all the resumes, and puts together a tournament. If I'm trusting one or the other, I'm picking the committee, not a bunch of Paul Finebaums and Brandon Marshmellows (or whoever that guy was) that just look at certain things, like Ws/Ls and HR stats.

smootness
05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
No one can definitively say they're the top team in the country; no one can definitively say they're top 10.

Of course, no one can definitively say they're not, either. But I would feel much better about saying, 'Oregon State is one of the five best teams in the country,' than I would saying it about ULL. There is more backing it up for Oregon State.

What ULL is doing is essentially like hitting .380/.450/.660 in AAA. It means something, it's impressive, and it probably means you're going to be a very good MLB hitter. But no one knows, and you can't tell me where that player is going to rank in terms of MLB hitters. It's just what it is. They can't help who they play, but who they play helps their numbers.

They may have hit 50 HRs if they were in the SEC. They also may have hit 30. No one has any idea.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 04:41 PM
No one can definitively say they're the top team in the country; no one can definitively say they're top 10.

Of course, no one can definitively say they're not, either. But I would feel much better about saying, 'Oregon State is one of the five best teams in the country,' than I would saying it about ULL. There is more backing it up for Oregon State.

What ULL is doing is essentially like hitting .380/.450/.660 in AAA. It means something, it's impressive, and it probably means you're going to be a very good MLB hitter. But no one knows, and you can't tell me where that player is going to rank in terms of MLB hitters. It's just what it is. They can't help who they play, but who they play helps their numbers.

They may have hit 50 HRs if they were in the SEC. They also may have hit 30. No one has any idea.

I agree. And this is why I say we are probably a very even matchup. We are top 20, they are top 10....take 5-10 spots away from them if they were playing a SEC schedule, give us 5-10 spots if we were playing their schedule. We are probably fairly even if given the exact same schedule. There's really no way of knowing just how much competition played in, but we know it played in to at least a small extent....and a small extent is how much higher their seeding is than ours, so I look for a really tight ball game. Definitely no reason for either team to be cocky, but neither team should feel they will lose either. I personally feel confident that we will win...but I could see us losing. I like that we are a 2 seed and they are #1 ranked by the polls...otherwise our guys might have some of the same thoughts as some of our posters do. The fact that they are #1 and they are hosting SHOULD keep us focused.

maroonmania
05-27-2014, 04:42 PM
I don't. Nobody does until this tournament plays out. But most of the time the polls are popularity contests put voted on by a bunch of journalists or whatever, in every sport. At least the committee sits down, looks at all the resumes, and puts together a tournament. If I'm trusting one or the other, I'm picking the committee, not a bunch of Paul Finebaums and Brandon Marshmellows (or whoever that guy was) that just look at certain things, like Ws/Ls and HR stats.

Agreed, not sure how you anyone outside of Lafayette would be able to watch ULL play on any regular basis even if you wanted to. They play in a cracker jack box stadium and I would assume they would have no "HSTV" equivalent that broadcasts their games and I've sure as heck never run by them playing on cable. Their record and stats against weak competition is all you have to go on which is undoubtedly impressive. And they did go 3-1 against SEC competition but that was EARLY in the year where all 4 games were 2 Mar and before.

BiscuitEater
05-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Regionals, Supers and final eight Tournament called the CWS where the winner gets to be #1. The team that wins the CWS ends up #1 in all of those polls.

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Agreed, not sure how you anyone outside of Lafayette would be able to watch ULL play on any regular basis even if you wanted to. They play in a cracker jack box stadium and I would assume they would have no "HSTV" equivalent that broadcasts their games and I've sure as heck never run by them playing on cable. Their record and stats against weak competition is all you have to go on which is undoubtedly impressive. And they did go 3-1 against SEC competition but that was EARLY in the year where all 4 games were 2 Mar and before.

Crackerbox stadium....lol....see y'all this weekend.... in the parking lot.

HailHud
05-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Agreed, not sure how you anyone outside of Lafayette would be able to watch ULL play on any regular basis even if you wanted to.

There's a web service called ESPN3 where a large number of the games have been available to watch :rolleyes:

DudyDawg
05-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Compared to the best atmosphere in the country, that's what it is.

RIdog
05-27-2014, 07:32 PM
I like our chances .:)

RougeDawg
05-27-2014, 07:34 PM
They bunt a lot.
Thanks for the free outs - Will James.

You're leaving something out about them. The "know how" to bunt and bunt well situationally. We struggle just to bunt the ball in fair territory, let alone bunt it at specific points on the infiled at varying speeds, based on situation. Bunting isore than just putting it in play. Each situation to hunt equites a specific hunt approach. We don't vary our bunting approaches as the situation dictates because we struggle just getting the bunt in fair play.

Y'all give will a tough time, but our bunting mechanics and approach is pretty pathetic. Demarcus should have 10-16% of his hits from bunting. Any of our LH hitters with speed should have an equal percentage of their hits from bunts. Our lack if base hit bunts is inexcusable, especially since we are a small ball team. Small ball included bunting for base hits, but you cannot expect to bunt for base hits when every single one of your players struggles with the SAC bunt. Bunting is an art and requires proper coaching and practice. I'm guessing the cause for our bunting woes are a product of the two. If I were Cohen I would make every hitter get 4 bunts down fair, preferably situationally, during BP every day before id let them swing away.

The Croom Diaries
05-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Regionals, Supers and final eight Tournament called the CWS where the winner gets to be #1. The team that wins the CWS ends up #1 in all of those polls.

Thanks for posting.*

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Cracker JACK box...get it right*

preachermatt83
05-27-2014, 10:39 PM
been saying it for weeks but all some of you guys could do was act like I was crazy. Now they are consensus number 1 with all the major pollsters but guess what? Now you guys are saying they are all wrong. I wonder if some of you guys have even watched ULL play.

ScoobaDawg
05-27-2014, 10:52 PM

That's RACIST!!!!

Dawg61
05-27-2014, 11:14 PM

Is your tailgate in the parking lot? Sorry we're renting out the spacious lawn behind the LF fence. See you there? $20 for a cup tho.

curmudgeon
05-28-2014, 08:33 AM
I will not argue that you have been hyping them for a month, but here's how baseball polls work.

ULL starts out #25 (where I think they should be, but that's a different argument). They keep sweeping little sisters of the poor while everyone in front of them drops a game. Oh, #22 Alabama lost a game to LSU and ULL swept Arkansas State, lets move ULL to #22 and drop Alabama to #23. Over the course of the season they have kept doing this. They are 53-7 because they haven't played anyone.

They are the only team from their conference in the tournament. They have only played two teams ranked in the top 70 of the RPI, and both of them came before March 2. What you have is a good team that has benefitted from playing a cupcake schedule. You see it in football every year. Northern Illinois made a BCS game two years ago. Were they one of the top 10 teams in the country? Hell no. I'd make an argument that they could not have beaten anyone that finished in the top half of a major conference, but they went 12-1 and the pollsters kept moving them up.

An objective eye would question their schedule. They'd look at the fact that their conference is rated 11th (thats below the threshold of decent) and that they really didn't play many good teams out of conference. They won 2 of 3 at Alabama and an early midweek against LSU. If you look deeper into that Alabama series, Bama was struggling and ULL won one of those games on two hits and two Bama errors. And they beat LSU in a five inning game that got shortened by rain.

These guys are a decent SunBelt team like South Alabama was last year. They won't go 2 and out because Jackson State and San Diego State are horrible, but we should expect to win this regional.

maroonmania
05-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Yes, if you can only seat 3700 its a cracker jack box stadium. Sorry that offends you. If you had more seats maybe somebody other than just ULL fans could actually witness the games in person. And that has nothing to do with the quality of your team. Odds are pretty good that you guys eliminate us but its still difficult to guage ULL completely with that schedule.

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Yes, if you can only seat 3700 its a cracker jack box stadium. Sorry that offends you. If you had more seats maybe somebody other than just ULL fans could actually witness the games in person. And that has nothing to do with the quality of your team. Odds are pretty good that you guys eliminate us but its still difficult to guage ULL completely with that schedule.

I repeat, we don't have enough seats for our fans right now, haven't all season. I could sell my tickets 100 times to Cajun fans, players' families, etc.

CajunJuice
05-28-2014, 11:18 AM

The seating "capacity" is listed at 3750 but we've had numerous games this year over 4500 in attendance. There's alot of standing room only areas with the box seats and areas down the lines. I get it, you're comparing our stadium to your stadium. Which is ridiculous to act like MSU, LSU's of the world are the norm in College Baseball. The FACT is that we are in the top 10 in attendance this year in the nation. You want to see a crack jack box stadium? Go to a home game at UCLA or Cal State Fullerton. Our stadium may not be massive, but it still holds more than a handful of SEC schools and the majority of schools in the country. And the demand for tickets has been high all season. Like I said, if you weren't a season ticket holder, it was hard to get into games all season long. So getting tickets is not just a problem for MSU fans, it's a problem for Cajun Fans right now.

The good thing is that we have scheduled to renovate the stadium and add about 2,000 more seats within the next 2 years bringing our capacity to around 6,000. They plan on demolishing the current grand stand and rebuilding a double decker grand stand with more premium seating and adding pavilions for standing room only behind and at the top of our 1st base and 3rd base stadium bleachers.

But it's amazing some of your fans condescending comments acting like our stadium sucks and our atmosphere blows. It's only because you've never been here. With this being a Regional the NCAA won't allow beer to be sold but normally we have about 15 beer selections on draft at the games and the crowd is awesome. I just wish some of you would have a little more respect for our program. Maybe you will after you see us play this weekend, and see us take out Ole Miss the following weekend.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Ive been to a ton of games at yalls stadium. It doesnt suck. It is actually nice and the fans are great. One of the better venues in college.

There are about 5 goliaths when it comes to stadiums and crowds. There really isnt a middle class it seems.

Anyone that goes will have a great time. Lafayette is a very underrated city. Best women in louisiana and arguably best food. Yes, Im serious.

CajunJuice
05-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Ive been to a ton of games at yalls stadium. It doesnt suck. It is actually nice and the fans are great. One of the better venues in college.

There are about 5 goliaths when it comes to stadiums and crowds. There really isnt a middle class it seems.

Anyone that goes will have a great time. Lafayette is a very underrated city. Best women in louisiana and arguably best food. Yes, Im serious.

Thanks, glad to see there are some on this board who actually leave the state of Mississippi every now and then.

smootness
05-28-2014, 11:36 AM
But it's amazing some of your fans condescending comments acting like our stadium sucks and our atmosphere blows. It's only because you've never been here. With this being a Regional the NCAA won't allow beer to be sold but normally we have about 15 beer selections on draft at the games and the crowd is awesome. I just wish some of you would have a little more respect for our program. Maybe you will after you see us play this weekend, and see us take out Ole Miss the following weekend.

I've never been, but I heard the ESPN guys talking when the bracket came out and said it was a great, crazy atmosphere. So I'm sure it will be rocking.

FWIW, I don't understand why some of our fans feel the need to try to bash ULL's program or stadium. It's exactly what we complain about others doing to us in football. 'Oh, you guys don't have a 90,000 seat stadium? LOL, have fun with your Single A crap team.'

DudyDawg
05-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks, glad to see there are some on this board who actually leave the state of Mississippi every now and then.

I left once but my horse couldn't keep going and we got lost on account of me not being able to read the street signs.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Don't let a few dumbass comments define our fan base. 98% of us respect your program and think a lot of your atmosphere and facilities. Unfortunately the 2% is louder this week.

Hope your fan base is smart enough to understand that for what it is. Should be a great Regional at a great venue

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 11:41 AM
I left once but my horse couldn't keep going and we got lost on account of me not being able to read the street signs.

I'd like to get a horse someday. I'd settle for an outboard motor, though.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 11:57 AM
This week has been odd. If MSU was playing vs a bigger all-time program like Texas or LSU the majority of y'all wouldn't be getting all buddy buddy with the enemy yet for some reason because we are playing at a smaller school a bunch of y'all want to "apologize" for how the MSU fanbase is acting this week. Fuk that. I hope we stomp a mudhole in ULL and steal their national seed.

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 12:09 PM
This week has been odd. If MSU was playing vs a bigger all-time program like Texas or LSU the majority of y'all wouldn't be getting all buddy buddy with the enemy yet for some reason because we are playing at a smaller school a bunch of y'all want to "apologize" for how the MSU fanbase is acting this week. Fuk that. I hope we stomp a mudhole in ULL and steal their national seed.

If your team has as much passion they might have a shot. We will get on base. Period. If your pitchers leave one little cookie crumb we will eat it. Your line-up does not scare us, though.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
If your team has as much passion they might have a shot. We will get on base. Period. If your pitchers leave one little cookie crumb we will eat it. Your line-up does not scare us, though.

Lineup isn't what should scare you. Ross Mitchell, Jacob Lindgren and Jonathan Holder should though. You'll see them on Saturday. Get excited.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Yet WE are the "cocky" ones? Ha. At least our guys talk it on our own board.

Maroons
05-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I will not argue that you have been hyping them for a month, but here's how baseball polls work.

ULL starts out #25 (where I think they should be, but that's a different argument).

Baseball America had them preseason #14.

smootness
05-28-2014, 12:38 PM

That's because if we were playing Texas or LSU, no one would be talking as though they were beneath us.

No one's getting 'buddy buddy' with anybody; some State fans are being stupid trying to talk trash about their stadium. I've said myself that I think ULL is probably being overrated.

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Yet WE are the "cocky" ones? Ha. At least our guys talk it on our own board.

You didn't forget how to get to Omaha. National seeds go to Omaha.

I've said myself that I think ULL is probably being overrated.

Every poll in baseball is wrong.

smootness
05-28-2014, 12:43 PM

I have no idea what you're trying to say now, but don't be an idiot. Polls often overrate teams, and national seeds often don't go to Omaha.

We get it, you guys are new to this. Just calm down, you probably won't make the CWS.

How's that, Dawg61?

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 12:48 PM

What? Your first sentence makes no sense. We were there last year and weren't a National Seed.

And that second quote, was not from me, so don't put words in my mouth, bud.

BeachDawg
05-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Virginia was also a National seed last year and had crazy batting stats. Look what we did to them. Pitching and defense wins championships.

MarketingBully01
05-28-2014, 01:10 PM

That's okay. We had Hoos bash us last year in their super regional and look where that got them. See you guys on Saturday. I think it will be a fun game.

MarketingBully01
05-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Virginia was also a National seed last year and had crazy batting stats. Look what we did to them. Pitching and defense wins championships.

Haha, great minds think alike. These Cajuns are reminding me of the Hoo fans from last year.

DudyDawg
05-28-2014, 01:12 PM

I don't think this is the right fan base for you to try to teach about Omaha.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 01:21 PM

MSU All-Time CWS appearances = 9

ULL All-Time CWS appearances = 1

I don't think your fanbase should be telling us about Omaha

CajunJuice
05-28-2014, 02:04 PM
MSU All-Time CWS appearances = 9

ULL All-Time CWS appearances = 1

I don't think your fanbase should be telling us about Omaha

Yea, I'm not sure where Cajun29 gets off on trying to tell you guys how to get to Omaha. Lol.

I for one, have major respect for your program and I'm extremely excited about this weekend but I also have tempered expectations. Do I think our team can make it to Omaha? Absolutely. But I'll tell you one thing.... the only team out of all 7 teams we'd have to get thru to get to Omaha that makes me nervous is Mississippi State. Ole Miss, GA Tech, and Washington all have great teams... but something about the Bulldogs is more of a challenge it seems.

But there's another thing that gives me a lot of confidence about the Cajuns. It's the fact that our team does not panic and is not intimidated by anyone or any situation. They have the where-with-all and confidence in themselves to get the job done no matter the opponent. They are on a mission because they lost the Baton Rouge Regional Championship game to LSU last year and they want to prove they can get past that point. The coaches set goals at the beginning of the season to win 40 games, win conference, and win a regional with the idea that Omaha was not out of the question. Well the players, interjected and stood up and told the coaches that wasn't good enough. They said their goal was to win 50 games, host a regional, and make it to Omaha. These guys have proven their willpower thus far to win 53 games and host a regional as a National Seed. Something that has never happened for UL. I'm not betting against these guys to lose any time soon.

All that being said, I know it's going to be a tough regional and I think whichever team wins this regional will come out bloody like they just had a fight to the death. Who has more strength and willpower to overcome adversity? We shall see. But I like my Cajuns chances.

BulldogBear
05-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Yea, I'm not sure where Cajun29 gets off on trying to tell you guys how to get to Omaha. Lol.

I for one, have major respect for your program and I'm extremely excited about this weekend but I also have tempered expectations. Do I think our team can make it to Omaha? Absolutely. But I'll tell you one thing.... the only team out of all 7 teams we'd have to get thru to get to Omaha that makes me nervous is Mississippi State. Ole Miss, GA Tech, and Washington all have great teams... but something about the Bulldogs is more of a challenge it seems.

But there's another thing that gives me a lot of confidence about the Cajuns. It's the fact that our team does not panic and is not intimidated by anyone or any situation. They have the where-with-all and confidence in themselves to get the job done no matter the opponent. They are on a mission because they lost the Baton Rouge Regional Championship game to LSU last year and they want to prove they can get past that point. The coaches set goals at the beginning of the season to win 40 games, win conference, and win a regional with the idea that Omaha was not out of the question. Well the players, interjected and stood up and told the coaches that wasn't good enough. They said their goal was to win 50 games, host a regional, and make it to Omaha. These guys have proven their willpower thus far to win 53 games and host a regional as a National Seed. Something that has never happened for UL. I'm not betting against these guys to lose any time soon.

All that being said, I know it's going to be a tough regional and I think whichever team wins this regional will come out bloody like they just had a fight to the death. Who has more strength and willpower to overcome adversity? We shall see. But I like my Cajuns chances.

Good post. I look forward to getting y'all Saturday. That is, if we take care of business against the Aztecs first.

Pioneer Dawg
05-28-2014, 02:44 PM
I think we need to use Holder vs SDSU if needed. Don't burn Lindgren because ULL is clearly the offensive class of this regional. I could see a team like ULL hitting Holder around the park. Ross and Lindgren should be able to give us a quality 9 vs them.

This also piggybacks on Cadaver's findings of an all RH SDSU lineup. Fitts, Bracewell, Holder vs SDSU.... Ross, Lindgren vs ULL.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 02:51 PM
I think we need to use Holder vs SDSU if needed. Don't burn Lindgren because ULL is clearly the offensive class of this regional. I could see a team like ULL hitting Holder around the park. Ross and Lindgren should be able to give us a quality 9 vs them.

This also piggybacks on Cadaver's findings of an all RH SDSU lineup. Fitts, Bracewell, Holder vs SDSU.... Ross, Lindgren vs ULL.

Totally agree

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 02:56 PM
How's that, Dawg61?

Better. Now here's some Rocky 4.

http://youtu.be/tn7kaOQvEfM

maroonmania
05-28-2014, 03:01 PM
The seating "capacity" is listed at 3750 but we've had numerous games this year over 4500 in attendance. There's alot of standing room only areas with the box seats and areas down the lines. I get it, you're comparing our stadium to your stadium. Which is ridiculous to act like MSU, LSU's of the world are the norm in College Baseball. The FACT is that we are in the top 10 in attendance this year in the nation. You want to see a crack jack box stadium? Go to a home game at UCLA or Cal State Fullerton. Our stadium may not be massive, but it still holds more than a handful of SEC schools and the majority of schools in the country. And the demand for tickets has been high all season. Like I said, if you weren't a season ticket holder, it was hard to get into games all season long. So getting tickets is not just a problem for MSU fans, it's a problem for Cajun Fans right now.

The good thing is that we have scheduled to renovate the stadium and add about 2,000 more seats within the next 2 years bringing our capacity to around 6,000. They plan on demolishing the current grand stand and rebuilding a double decker grand stand with more premium seating and adding pavilions for standing room only behind and at the top of our 1st base and 3rd base stadium bleachers.

Dang, sensitivity abounds, my comment was just that's its smallish (i.e the cracker jack box reference). Doesn't mean it doesn't have a great atmosphere or is not high quality, heck, I believe everyone on here will tell you DNF needs a major makeover due to its age. I do think that the NCAA should mandate, for NCAA events, a specific percentage of tickets be offered to the visiting teams regardless of the capacity and then if they aren't sold can go right back to the home team. And I would say that if we were hosting as well. Otherwise, I don't see the purpose in trying to regionalize everyone, better just don't even worry about fans and just seed everyone 1 thru 64 and pair them up that way. The host school's fans will always be there.

The original reference though was primarily just about the concept of how many pollsters and have actually seen ULL play. I still doubt very many have at all.

ScoobaDawg
05-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Your cockiness of that statement shows how little you pay attention
48 of the 120 National Seeds to date HAVE NOT MADE IT to Nebraska.
In fact over the past 4 years, 16 of 32 did not reach. It's FAR From a Guarantee.

ScoobaDawg
05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Dang, sensitivity abounds, my comment was just that's its smallish (i.e the cracker jack box reference). Doesn't mean it doesn't have a great atmosphere or is not high quality, heck, I believe everyone on here will tell you DNF needs a major makeover due to its age. I do think that the NCAA should mandate, for NCAA events, a specific percentage of tickets be offered to the visiting teams regardless of the capacity and then if they aren't sold can go right back to the home team. And I would say that if we were hosting as well. Otherwise, I don't see the purpose in trying to regionalize everyone, better just don't even worry about fans and just seed everyone 1 thru 64 and pair them up that way. The host school's fans will always be there.

The original reference though was primarily just about the concept of how many pollsters and have actually seen ULL play. I still doubt very many have at all.

The NCAA has a rule. It's a number (200) instead of a percent. It's home field advantage they earned it and we do the same.

Cajun I have great respect for your program. You arent an SEC team or school, but y'all are doing pretty good especially in the shadow of your big brother the tigers. Wish I could of been there for the softball regional and won't be able to make this one either. Cajun food is amazing and I'm sure the little town is fun for games.Add in craft beers (we call them bulldog waters..and some of us like GOOD Beer) and sounds like a great time.

preachermatt83
05-28-2014, 03:37 PM
we lose to Holy Cross and Jxnville st and yet our fan base thinks we are just too superior to lose to ULL. ULL is one heck of a baseball team and I think that if we beat them it is an upset. Do I think we can beat them? yes. Do I think we will beat them? I honestly don't know. It all depends on whoever our starting pitcher that day is and weather or not Detz or Rea one can get hot.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 03:41 PM
we lose to Holy Cross and Jxnville st and yet our fan base thinks we are just too superior to lose to ULL. ULL is one heck of a baseball team and I think that if we beat them it is an upset. Do I think we can beat them? yes. Do I think we will beat them? I honestly don't know. It all depends on whoever our starting pitcher that day is and weather or not Detz or Rea one can get hot.

Because we also know that we beat Vandy and USC's ass. I'm not saying our fans should be cocky pricks....but we also shouldn't let our few bad losses define our team.

maroonmania
05-28-2014, 04:32 PM
The NCAA has a rule. It's a number (200) instead of a percent. It's home field advantage they earned it and we do the same.

Cajun I have great respect for your program. You arent an SEC team or school, but y'all are doing pretty good especially in the shadow of your big brother the tigers. Wish I could of been there for the softball regional and won't be able to make this one either. Cajun food is amazing and I'm sure the little town is fun for games.Add in craft beers (we call them bulldog waters..and some of us like GOOD Beer) and sounds like a great time.

Yes, I was aware of that and that's a little bogus. All that does is allow the players a few family members each to come see the games, does nothing for the actual fanbase. Should be something more along the line of 10% each to the other 3 teams. I would say a guarantee of at least 70% of the fans in the stands is more than enough home field advantage. And it will likely be more than that because teams that are coming from long distances probably wouldn't buy theirs anyway. My issue is that its an NCAA event not a ULL or "name host school" event. I don't really know of other NCAA post-season sporting events or bowl games where the participating schools don't get a few tickets to sell to their own fans. But we all know baseball is a stepchild sport to the NCAA anyway and its just my opinion anyway which isn't going to change anything.

maroonmania
05-28-2014, 04:37 PM

Who in our fanbase is saying that? The way we have been up and down this year we would be fortunate to get out of a regional anywhere much less one with a highly ranked national seed like ULL. Wouldn't surprise me if we were to win the regional but I wouldn't be any more surprised if we went 2 and out. Or maybe 3 and out given I wouldn't expect us to lose to Jackson St.

Pioneer Dawg
05-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Totally agree

And we are correct. Looks like Fitts.