PDA

View Full Version : Why are people saying M. L. Tigue Moore Field is a small park?

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Just looked it up and their field size is very similar to most SEC parks. I was at FSU two years ago and their RF is tiny. I trust our pitchers to pitch at this place in Laffy for those interested the park dimensions are

330 feet (Left field)
375 feet (Left center field)
400 feet (Center field)
375 feet (Right center field)
330 feet (Right field)

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/c4/9d/5bc49da97adeb632bab6d034aaa3b99e.jpg

TheRef
05-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Compared to DNF:

330 feet (Left Field)
376 feet (Left-center Field)
390 feet (Center Field)
374 feet (Right-center Field)
326 feet (Right Field)

So that means that they are actually longer in straight away center than DNF.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 11:32 AM
I posted the same thing several weeks back when I was hoping we would get sent to ULL. People see 60 HR's and think small park, but it's not. It may play small...but it's not a "small park" as so many have stated

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 11:38 AM
They have hit a lot of HRs but Im curious to how many they have hit at home as compared to on the road.

Also Kentucky has hit a TON of HRs this year but didn't really hit but one or two deep against Ross and our Pen at Hoover.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Park plays small and they hit HRs at home and on the road.

There isn't any illusion here. ULL is the team their stats say they are. No matter the competition, the hit and hit it a long way. This weekend will be very very tough. Their stats have very little to do with who they've played.

CajunJuice
05-27-2014, 11:52 AM
They have hit a lot of HRs but Im curious to how many they have hit at home as compared to on the road.

Also Kentucky has hit a TON of HRs this year but didn't really hit but one or two deep against Ross and our Pen at Hoover.

To answer your question. Louisiana has hit 34 HRs at Home and 29 HRs on the road.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/cumestats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2014

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 11:54 AM
The park plays small with the wind blowing out, like most. The plate faces due south, so any kind of north wind makes it smaller. I can't find splits on home and away HR's, but our record away is actually better than at home.

TheRef
05-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Wind looks to be weak out of the S to SW around 5 mph. Won't be much help on long balls, but it won't hurt either.

engie
05-27-2014, 12:00 PM
34 bombs in 33 home games
29 bombs in 27 away games

Ross Mitchell has given up 3 HR total in 239 career IP. He can take that aspect away. But ULL doesn't seem to be any one trick pony...

smootness
05-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Their stats have very little to do with who they've played.

Of course they do. Every team's stats have a lot to do with who they've played. That's not to say ULL isn't a very good offensive team or that their ranking isn't justified, but of course their stats are better than they would be if they played in the SEC.

That's like saying that if you moved us to the Sun Belt and we played a schedule in the 100s, we would put up the same numbers. It doesn't make any sense.

And again, that doesn't mean they aren't very, very good. They are likely a better offensive team than we are, for sure. But they wouldn't hit 60+ HRs with 100+ SBs, and have 8 guys in their lineup hit above .300 if they were in the SEC. You don't have to go that far to make your point.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Park plays small and they hit HRs at home and on the road.

There isn't any illusion here. ULL is the team their stats say they are. No matter the competition, the hit and hit it a long way. This weekend will be very very tough. Their stats have very little to do with who they've played.

You focus seems to be rather one-sided in your analysis. Of course it matters who their competition was.

For example:

In the SEC, only 5 of 14 teams hit 30 or more HRs. In the Sunbelt, 7 of 10 hit 30 or more. That's 35% versus 70%. Hmmm...pitching?

In the SEC, there are 6 teams with sub-3 staff ERAs. In the Sunbelt there are none.

In the SEC only 2 of 14 teams have team ERAs in excess of 4.0. In the Sunbelt 7 of 10 have ERAs in excess of 4.0. That's 14% versus 70%. You seriously think that has little impact on a team's ability to score consistently?

In the Sunbelt, 6 of their 10 team ERAs are worse than our worst team ERA.

None of these stats prove ULL is inferior in any way, but they do bring into question how much stock we should put into their offensive prowess based on their stats. We can say they are clearly the best in the Sunbelt. We can clearly say they appear to be excellent defensively, as their FP is terrific. Now that's the stat that warrants unquestioned respect, with conference quality having little-to-no impact. We shouldn't expect them to beat themselves.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 12:40 PM
This weekend should be fun.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Of course they do. Every team's stats have a lot to do with who they've played. That's not to say ULL isn't a very good offensive team or that their ranking isn't justified, but of course their stats are better than they would be if they played in the SEC.

That's like saying that if you moved us to the Sun Belt and we played a schedule in the 100s, we would put up the same numbers. It doesn't make any sense.

And again, that doesn't mean they aren't very, very good. They are likely a better offensive team than we are, for sure. But they wouldn't hit 60+ HRs with 100+ SBs, and have 8 guys in their lineup hit above .300 if they were in the SEC. You don't have to go that far to make your point.

Ding, ding, ding. Exactly

Pioneer Dawg
05-27-2014, 01:05 PM
They are likely a better offensive team than we are

EliteDawgs Understatement of the Year Nominee*

BirdofParadise
05-27-2014, 01:51 PM
It's not just about home runs...we have very good gap power....220 extra base hits on the season. Yeah, I know the pitching in the SEC is better. But if you can hit, you can hit.

In addition, we find ways to manufacture runs. We lead the nation in sacrifice flies. We aren't afraid to bunt at any position in the lineup in virtually every count. The Cajuns have 42 bunt singles this year. Everyone on this team can bunt. Everyone.

We aren't foolish. We probably won't get sixteen hits on the MSU pitching staff assuming the two teams get to play. But we will find ways to score runs. Even if it's one at a time. You're lefty is awfully good. We are undefeated against LHP starters this season. We hit about 40 points higher against left handers.

I'd rather face Mitchell than Fitts.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Ok, I give up, you got me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

For, 6 pound 8 once baby Jesus' sake, hopefully you could figure put what I meant.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Famous last words. We should bookmark this one.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 02:01 PM

You're an idiot then. You just proved it.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Ok, I give up, you got me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Shotgun, we're not saying you don't know what you're talking about. We're simply stating the obvious regarding how it is possible their offensive numbers are inflated due to the relative quality of the competition they faced. If you are basing your opinion on something other than this, by all means, make your case, preferably backing it up with some solid, interesting facts.

All I really have to go on are their stats. Therefore I believe them to be very good defensively, but am not ready to concede they are as good offensively as their stats might suggest. That is not to say I'm claiming they aren't good offensively, just that their stats aren't unassailable, undeniable proof, considering the competition. And when I looked at their 2-1 series win over Bama in detail, it looked to me like they got really fortunate in their 2-0 win, as they were out-hit 7-2, both their runs were unearned, and Bama committed 3 errors. That sounds a lot more like Bama blew it, rather than ULL earning it. That's the diff between 2-1 versus 1-2 at home versus one of the few decent teams they played.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 02:11 PM
"I'd rather face Mitchell than Fitts?"

Please elaborate.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 02:11 PM
blacklisted bully gets it.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Ross Mitchell has won BIG TIME GAMES against plenty of good teams for the past 2 years. He's won in Omaha, shut out multiple SEC teams, and has only won 20+ games over the past two seasons.

I hope he does pitch against Louisiana Lafayette.

DudyDawg
05-27-2014, 03:16 PM
EliteDawgs Understatement of the Year Nominee*

I reallllllllllllly hope he just forgot to put ****

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Shotgun, we're not saying you don't know what you're talking about. We're simply stating the obvious regarding how it is possible their offensive numbers are inflated due to the relative quality of the competition they faced. If you are basing your opinion on something other than this, by all means, make your case, preferably backing it up with some solid, interesting facts.

All I really have to go on are their stats. Therefore I believe them to be very good defensively, but am not ready to concede they are as good offensively as their stats might suggest. That is not to say I'm claiming they aren't good offensively, just that their stats aren't unassailable, undeniable proof, considering the competition. And when I looked at their 2-1 series win over Bama in detail, it looked to me like they got really fortunate in their 2-0 win, as they were out-hit 7-2, both their runs were unearned, and Bama committed 3 errors. That sounds a lot more like Bama blew it, rather than ULL earning it. That's the diff between 2-1 versus 1-2 at home versus one of the few decent teams they played.

We squeezed home two runs on one bunt late in the game on Spencer Turnbull. Men on 2nd and 3rd one out, I think. Turnbull throws the ball away, then the 1B throws the ball away. We have double squeezed three times this year, all successfully.

I hope its a low scoring game. We were not shut out all year and only lost one one-run game.

quickstrike2
05-27-2014, 03:23 PM
"I'd rather face Mitchell than Fitts?"

Please elaborate.

I believe right about that when he said that they were undefeated against left handers and that they hit 40 points higher against lefties would explain his position. Not saying he is right, because I would much rather face Fitts than Mitchell, but I did read what he formed his decision on.

Quaoarsking
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
We squeezed home two runs on one bunt late in the game on Spencer Turnbull. Men on 2nd and 3rd one out, I think. Turnbull throws the ball away, then the 1B throws the ball away. We have double squeezed three times this year, all successfully.

I hope its a low scoring game. We were not shut out all year and [b]only lost one one-run game.[b]

That's a tell-tale sign that you've been somewhat lucky and winning more than you should. You can't rely on those things to keep happening...

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Wr rely on our skill and make it hsppen.

DudyDawg
05-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Well you clearly don't rely on your spelling

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Well you clearly don't rely on your spelling

I laughed

Pioneer Dawg
05-27-2014, 09:26 PM
If you face Fitts you likely get a dose of Lindgren for 3-4 IP. Gotta take that into consideration.

Mitchell for 8 or Fitts-3/Lindgren-5.. Could make the choice a little closer.

blacklistedbully
05-28-2014, 01:56 AM

No earned runs on just 2 hits does not sound like a lot of skill to me. Scoring 2 unearned runs on 3 errors sounds like a gift from the other team, without which you would have likely lost the home series to Bama, given they were out-hitting you, and had held you to just 2 hits all day.

I have no doubt y'all won many, many games because of your skill. But that 2-0 win over Bama wasn't one of them.

smootness
05-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Since we're talking about their 4 games against SEC competition, can we point out that in those 4 games, they had 5 XBH and 1 HR? Not bad but certainly not a sign that they're a team that will just crush all pitching.

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Since we're talking about their 4 games against SEC competition, can we point out that in those 4 games, they had 5 XBH and 1 HR? Not bad but certainly not a sign that they're a team that will just crush all pitching.

Media says Mitchell probably gets game 1.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2014/05/27/bulldogs-weigh-pitching-options-st-regional-game/9655111/

Pioneer Dawg
05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Media says Mitchell probably game 1

We will probably have 3 different starters before the game actually begins. This is a common occurrence.

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 09:38 AM
We will probably have 3 different starters before the game actually begins. This is a common occurrence.

We are probably throwing RHP Baranik game 2, per Coach yesterday. He is good, but inconsistent. Started the year on fire, then slowed down, had some bad outings as recently as last week (2.1 IP, 4 ER against Tx State for God sake). Wipe out slider he throws in any count, when he is on.

smootness
05-28-2014, 09:50 AM
We are probably throwing RHP Baranik game 2, per Coach yesterday. He is good, but inconsistent. Started the year on fire, then slowed down, had some bad outings as recently as last week (2.1 IP, 4 ER against Tx State for God sake). Wipe out slider he throws in any count, when he is on.

Interesting. So you're not saving your ace for Game 2? Or do you not really have an ace? (I don't mean that as a dig, just honestly wondering, I know a lot of teams just have a handful of go-to pitchers but not one shut-down guy).

I would like that matchup for us assuming we don't throw Mitchell Game 1 and win.

In reference to us potentially going with Mitchell in Game 1, my guess is that Cohen is just kind of thinking through things and keeping options open. If Mitchell had been our Friday starter, I still think there'd be a good chance he'd go Game 2. Since he's been pitching on Saturdays, it would be really hard for me to see him pitching Game 1.

Cohen may think Game 1 is a must-win (and I tend to agree), but so is Game 2. If you want to win a regional, you're generally going to have to win the first 2 games. No matter which of those you lose, your road becomes much tougher.

Ole Colony
05-28-2014, 10:01 AM
We have 1a & 1b both we be drafted.

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 10:01 AM
We have 1, 1A and 1 B starters. The UL coach has worked hard to line up the rotation and it is the same one that has worked all year. Baranik was 2014 Sun Belt Pitcher of the Year, but was inconsistent down the line. His ERA was under 1 after the first four starts, now 3.30.

He had a complete game with 84 pitches three weeks ago, but sucked last week. He was an LSU guy, got in trouble and left his freshman year. If he throws like he did three weeks ago, it will be a quick game.

You might get Cody Boutte, LHP 8-0, 2.75 ERA, without a doubt our most consistent guy, depending on matchups. I know Cohen likes the platoon deal.

Pioneer Dawg
05-28-2014, 10:02 AM
We have 1a & 1b both we be drafted.

Everyone gets "drafted"

BulldogBear
05-28-2014, 10:04 AM
I would not disrupt rotation at regional time. But Cohen loves to shake things up. I'm with the poster that says this doesn't mean anything...yet. I really wouldn't do this. You've got to keep your confidence in Fitts/Lindgren for SDSU. Then let Cajuns deal with Ross.

MadDawg
05-28-2014, 12:53 PM
We have 1, 1A and 1 B starters.

Damn. Just damn. See guys. They don't even have a #2 guy. EVERYONE is their #1. When are we going to just admit we are woefully outmatched. ULL would have easily won 50-55 games in the SEC this year. Let's just finally admit it. ***

CadaverDawg
05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Damn. Just damn. See guys. They don't even have a #2 guy. EVERYONE is their #1. When are we going to just admit we are woefully outmatched. ULL would have easily won 50-55 games in the SEC this year. Let's just finally admit it. ***

Yea, some of us have tried to be nice today, but this dude is a proven tool. You can tell they are used to being little bro with these comments. Can't admit a single flaw...they are absolutely perfect at every position and situation! Why even make the trip?!

Ole Colony
05-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Every team in the field has a number one. Defense and relievers you guys have the edge. Your team has been battle tested we have not. I fully expect to play your team in three very entertaining games.

Laf_Cajun
05-28-2014, 01:34 PM
I can't speak for Cajuns29, but I take nothing for granted in the game of baseball. I think you run into all types of fans on these types of forums....some who think their team is the greatest thing since sliced bread to those that think their team can't do anything right. I happen to be in the middle. Looking forward to a great regional this weekend...as it should be lots of fun! I respect (well for the most part) everyone's opinion and recognize some posts for what they are. Try and not let some bad apples form your opinion on an over-all good fan base.

Cajuns99
05-28-2014, 09:00 PM

What I think he means , and most cajun fans is Austin robichaux (coach's son) has been our Friday guy for 2 years, widely considered our ace. Baranik won SBC pitcher of the year and was absolutely dominant outside of 2 appearances. He filled in on Friday for about a month when Austin was hurt. Boutte our Sunday guy is undefeated and has been our most consistent for conference play. Basically most of us would be comfortable pitching those 3 guys in any order. Baranik and Robe are similar pitchers, both righties..Austin probably runs it around 93-94...baranik around 90-91...boutte is a junk throwing lefty. I would lean more towards Austin and baranik being 1-a and 1-b as in they are interchangeable. Baranik would be a Friday guy on 90% of the staffs in the country. We have fallen under a great circumstance, if Austin's dad was not the coach he would have went elsewhere or went pro, if baranik doesn't get in a little trouble at lsu, he would still be there. If Conrad doesn't grow up in Lafayette, we never get that kid. We have several on the roster with similar situations that came from larger programs. We are also a bunch of juniors and seniors and couple all that with a great hitting coach and philosophy in deggs and we kind of just have the perfect storm of you will. Should be a great weekend, looking forward to it. Hope y'all enjoy your trip down.

Pioneer Dawg
05-28-2014, 09:03 PM
great hitting coach and philosophy in deggs

We need to double this guy's salary

Cajuns29
05-28-2014, 09:27 PM
The Bulldogs are led by John Cohen, former head coach at Northwestern State and Kentucky before landing in Starkville. Monday Cohen offered a taste of his personality to local media. "I'm pretty familiar with Lafayette's facility, the town and that stuff, having been at Natchitoches up the road. Asked about Moore Field, Cohen said, "At one point I thought it played really big, but there's a lot of balls flying out of that place for whatever reason. I don't know if there are any alterations made to the ballpark but obviously it's a great atmosphere."

No alterations, except to the roster.

http://www.theind.com/news/sports/17643-regional-baseball-preview#!_DSC5554