PDA

View Full Version : All-SEC teams announced

messageboardsuperhero
05-27-2014, 10:31 AM
We have several guys on these lists (five guys on six different teams), and three of those five are coming back next year. To go along with Humphreys, Collins, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Swinarski, the 2014 and 2015 classes, etc. etc. The future is looking pretty bright.

What in the hell did Alex Bregman do to deserve All-SEC over Seth Heck? Until lately, Bregman hasn't been hitting jack shit. You've already acknowledged that Heck is the better defender by putting him on the All-defense team, AND Heck's offensive numbers over the SEC season are much better than Bregman's. What is the rationalization for this? Oh well, it's just another hyped LSU player taking a spot from a more deserving player on another team. Bregman will be a very good pro, but Heck had the better season this year.

Seth Heck gives us back-to-back SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Not bad for a "cow college."

Also, UM is losing a ton of fire power after this year. If Orvis and Bousfield go pro, they'll have to replace over half their lineup- and four of those players were on All-SEC teams.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/251309/sec-announces-2014-baseball-awards.aspx

State82
05-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Speaking of the all-defensive team, our middle infield committed only 10 errors between them all year. That is phenomenal.

TheRef
05-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Heck has a 4.0

STUD

smootness
05-27-2014, 11:11 AM
What we need next year is for somebody to step up and give us another big-time SP. I'm assuming Ross Mitchell is coming back, and I don't think that's a crazy assumption. But obviously we'll lose Lindgren and possibly Holder as well.

So we won't be able to rely quite as much on our bullpen next year, so we need somebody to take Friday or Saturday night and give us somebody we can roll out for 6-8 IP every start and give us a great chance to win...whether that's somebody like Hudson, or Woodruff coming back and the lights coming on a la Stratton, or Laster continuing to progress. Whatever it is, that could make us as tough to beat as anybody.

I think the lineup will be ok, despite losing Pirtle, Bradford, Armstrong, and possibly Rea. Heck should keep getting better, Collins and Humphreys should both be pretty big SEC bats by next year, and hopefully Holland can come in and give us a quality middle-infield bat immediately, too.

If we could just find an ace, somebody that would combine with Mitchell to make an awesome 1-2 duo, we'd be really, really hard for anybody to win a series against next year.

messageboardsuperhero
05-27-2014, 11:32 AM
What we need next year is for somebody to step up and give us another big-time SP. I'm assuming Ross Mitchell is coming back, and I don't think that's a crazy assumption. But obviously we'll lose Lindgren and possibly Holder as well.

So we won't be able to rely quite as much on our bullpen next year, so we need somebody to take Friday or Saturday night and give us somebody we can roll out for 6-8 IP every start and give us a great chance to win...whether that's somebody like Hudson, or Woodruff coming back and the lights coming on a la Stratton, or Laster continuing to progress. Whatever it is, that could make us as tough to beat as anybody.

I think the lineup will be ok, despite losing Pirtle, Bradford, Armstrong, and possibly Rea. Heck should keep getting better, Collins and Humphreys should both be pretty big SEC bats by next year, and hopefully Holland can come in and give us a quality middle-infield bat immediately, too.

If we could just find an ace, somebody that would combine with Mitchell to make an awesome 1-2 duo, we'd be really, really hard for anybody to win a series against next year.

I think this is pretty spot on.

Outside of Pirtle, we really don't lose anything significant offensively (sure, we'll lose some players, but their numbers are far from irreplaceable). Then with Holland coming in, Collins and Humphreys getting better, Swinarski coming off a redshirt year, etc. On paper, there's really nowhere to go but up from here offensively.

Pitching wise, we just need someone to step up and be an ace to complement Mitchell. Will it be Hudson? Tatum? Brandon Woodruff? Sexton? Could Paul Young come back healthy? There are plenty of options, but someone desperately needs to step up.