PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Weekend Fishing Wrap-Up

BeastMan
05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I got in town Saturday night at 7:30ish. I had about 30 minutes of daylight so I ran out from the condo to front beach to throw a few cast and see if I could nab a trout or redfish. Found out that the hardhead catfish were hungry for plastics :mad:

Sunday we got to the marina and the new toy was ready for action

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3b54b81c.jpg

My dad had done some scouting the day before in the Chandelier Sound. The rigs were giving nice fat trout but the action was pretty slow. He got 15 trout on Saturday. We wanted to stay out of the huge crowds at all the normal spots so we headed out. The first rig south of isle au pitre had dirty water and nothing. We went further to find clean water and did better. We worked our ass of for them but landed 14 trout for the box. The interesting thing is that we never got a single short. Every single fish made the box. Live croakers on the bottom.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd447646e.jpg

The trout bit had stopped a little after lunch so we decided to chase redfish. We were in the comfort island area and we headed due west into the marsh. We couldn't find any broken grass or cuts or anything that looked promising. We rode around forever and finally found a pond that had a little ditch connecting it and the tide was falling draining the pond. We rigged up cocaho minnows under a popping cork and got 5 redfish, 2 were really nice fish, in the box. We had 2 nice reds get off. After that we called it a day and headed in.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf503831f.jpg

On Sunday we slept in and got started late. Grabbed some live shrimp at the marina and headed for isle au pitre. It was going to be a quick trip because we had to drive back home afterwards. We ended up getting 3 trout and a small mess of ground mullet in the box. We also caught a bluefish, my first pompano (too small unfortunately), hardheads, and stingrays. Typical live shrimp fishing.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps720997a1.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6996b233.jpg

We didn't have the best fishing but the weather was beautiful and we had a great time. I'd call the weekend a success

FISHDAWG
05-27-2014, 11:09 AM
sounds like a fun trip .... good weather and good fishing company ... nice looking boat . you're gonna have to give us a screen shot of redfish on the half shell that will be served prior to the fried trout fillets

BeastMan
05-27-2014, 11:48 AM
sounds like a fun trip .... good weather and good fishing company ... nice looking boat . you're gonna have to give us a screen shot of redfish on the half shell that will be served prior to the fried trout fillets

The boat is actually a brand new boat, 2014 22 foot Bulls Bay, made by
Pioneer boats. They just hit the market. The price is great, especially considering the motor. It's not the most fancy rigged out boat but that's kinda what we liked about it. Simple deck with a ton of fishing space. We're not tourney guys so it's perfect for us.

I'm already thinking about the next fish fry/cookout. We half-shelled the 2 big reds. My freezer is currently a fish graveyard: crappie, bream, specks, reds, and sheepshead

SpeckleDawg
05-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Looks like a great weekend! That boat looks really sweet too. I bet it did great with the running around yall did.

Barking 13
05-27-2014, 06:15 PM
you have GOT to take me out in that boat and get me a red or two...

Barking 13
05-27-2014, 06:16 PM
BTW, I'm headed to Pickwick in two days for a couple days... can't wait

BeastMan
05-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Looks like a great weekend! That boat looks really sweet too. I bet it did great with the running around yall did.

The best thing is the trust in your motor to go anywhere. Last one was a '99 with a million hours. The peace of mind factor to fish wherever you want to explore is nice.

State82
05-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Perfect rig, Beastman. What outboard did y'all hang on the back?

BeastMan
05-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Perfect rig, Beastman. What outboard did y'all hang on the back?

Came with a 4-stroke 150 hp Yamaha. Pops got it from Atlantic Marine in Waveland. We had both been looking everwhere for a good deal for some time. After a trip in April he tells me he wants me to take a look at a boat at Atlantic. I was sold as soon as I looked. It's a wide hull that's is pretty heavy for it's size. It's a few hundred pounds heavier than the 22 foot nautic star. It has so much fishing room is what really sold it.

BeastMan
05-27-2014, 09:14 PM
On the topic of new boats on the market, the Epics (made in La I think) look sick

Barking 13
05-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I've got an 18 ft Skeeter with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.. I'll never own another 2 stroke... the 250 SHO V-max's are the shiznit

BeastMan
05-28-2014, 09:49 AM
I've got an 18 ft Skeeter with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.. I'll never own another 2 stroke... the 250 SHO V-max's are the shiznit

Me and my dad were talking about how much better boat technology has gotten since '99 which was the model of the last boat. The 99 motor was a 150 but it was a 6 cylinder and much louder. Now the 150 4-stroke is quieter, a 4 cylinder, and gets twice the gas mileage. That's huge efficiency improvements. The hull technology is much improved as well. The old boat was a 20ft hydra sport that had a much deeper V than the bulls bay but we couldn't tell any difference in how it handle the chop.

FISHDAWG
05-29-2014, 09:30 AM

I went fishing in Alaska a few years ago and out of the thousand boats or so that I saw up there all were Yamaha except for an odd Mercury or two

BeastMan
05-29-2014, 10:01 AM
I went fishing in Alaska a few years ago and out of the thousand boats or so that I saw up there all were Yamaha except for an odd Mercury or two

I don't think I've ever been on a chartered trip in MS or LA that didn't have a Yamaha outboard.