PDA

View Full Version : So, ULL has turf on the WHOLE field! Gonna have to be on our toes in the field..

whosyourdawgy
05-26-2014, 08:06 PM
and will make for some interesting plays. A hard hit grounder to the outfield will go faster and farther. Speed is gonna be a positive for teams here. What say you about the field

TheRef
05-26-2014, 08:09 PM
We're basically playing at a hot Vandy. Preliminary look at the forecast is hot and muggy with a nice chance of t'storms. I'll update soon.

Dawg61
05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
sounds like an advantage for MSU not ULL

messageboardsuperhero
05-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Most of our fielders have experience playing on Vandy's field, so it won't be totally foreign.

Also, having turf around home plate will be nothing new for us.

messageboardsuperhero
05-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Actually, ULL runs really really well.

msstate7
05-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Except for the fact they play there all the time. Worried about our infield defense a little

Dawg61
05-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Except for the fact they play there all the time. Worried about our infield defense a little

I'm not. Only thing I'm worried about is our first game pitching. That will set the tone for the entire weekend. We can't come out throwing balls and getting behind early or we'll be into our pen and behind the eight ball right away. Need to get off to a clean start.

RBritt
05-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Maybe Tony Kemp can come show us how to slide home from 3rd base.

BirdofParadise
05-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Everything is turf except for the pitchers mound. With the propensity for sudden storms, it's been good for us.

Also, when you're not in a big money conference, the players do the field maintenance. Installing turf has enabled our players to...well...play.

The turf is five years old. It isn't as fast as some I've seen.

But if the field is the least bit wet, slide early.

And, yes, for those who looked, we can run a little bit. We have 102 stolen bases on the season.

Pioneer Dawg
05-26-2014, 09:30 PM
We have 102 stolen bases on the season.

I think it will be a very good thing then to have a LHP in Ross throw against you and then another LHP in Jacob Lindgren ready the next go-round.

Laster Game 1 would cut any running Tony Gwynn would have too.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 08:49 AM
The idea that this could be like Vandy's field when wet, worries me. Anybody remember how bad that was for us at their field last year? Those guys were starting slides from damn near the half-way point to slide in safely. Our guys were not able to make the adjustment.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 09:15 AM
We played on a similar turf last year against Vandy, we will be fine.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Im sure we will take a ton of ground balls in the Palmerio center this week which has the same exact type of turf.

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 09:19 AM

Not so fast. We stole 8 bases one game last weekend.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/boxscore.aspx?path=baseball&id=4487

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 09:37 AM
We played on a similar turf last year against Vandy, we will be fine.

We got swept at Vandy last year. Their field in wet conditions was an affront to baseball.

CajunJuice
05-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Not so fast. We stole 8 bases one game last weekend.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/boxscore.aspx?path=baseball&id=4487

And that was on grass and dirt surface. But pitching that lefty you guys are talking about should definitely stop some of our base stealing. Another thing we do extremely well that often gets over looked when talking about base running is the fact that we stretch a lot of singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Our guys are EXTREMELY aggresive on the base paths. I've seen a bunch of routine base hits this year that opposing outfields just kind of pull up and field it without much sense of urgency, only to realize our guy is rounding first base and not stopping. Then they rush to make a throw and often times it's eithe too late or it's an over throw and we are safe at second.

It's little things like that, that make our team so good. Also, so many people just see our home run numbers and think we are just a power hitting team, but they don't realize we also have over 35 bunt singles on the season. We are not afraid to do anything, we will play small ball if we need to or we will play gorilla ball. Whatever it takes.

ScoobaDawg
05-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Wanna think about that? How can it EVER be advantage for MSU and not ULL when that is their home field.
If anything it's an equalizer since we have turf edges.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 10:01 AM
We got swept at Vandy last year. Their field in wet conditions was an affront to baseball.

Not sure how you can compare Vandy's team from last year that had TONS of talent and MLB draft picks to this ULL team and Im not trying to take anything away from ULL. Vandy was like 26-4 in the SEC last year.

Cajuns29
05-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Not sure how you can compare Vandy's team from last year that had TONS of talent and MLB draft picks to this ULL team and Im not trying to take anything away from ULL. Vandy was like 26-4 in the SEC last year.

We will lose 6-7 guys in the draft this year.

tuffguy21
05-27-2014, 10:17 AM
We will lose 6-7 guys in the draft this year.

And we are currently ranked #1 in atleast 4 of the 5 major baseball polls, only because the 5th poll hasn't been released yet. Just saying, undervalue the cajuns at your own risk.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 10:39 AM
And we are currently ranked #1 in atleast 4 of the 5 major baseball polls, only because the 5th poll hasn't been released yet. Just saying, undervalue the cajuns at your own risk.

No question you have a good team, but don't kid yourself. If you would have played an SEC schedule you would have at best only won 18 or 19 SEC games. Big difference between opposing Sun Belt arms and SEC arms.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 10:49 AM

I am not comparing Vandy to ULL. I am countering the idea that ULL's turf isn't a problem because we, "played on a similar turf at Vandy last year". We got our ass kicked at Vandy last year, and though their talent was a big contributing factor, if you watched the games, you'd realize their field conditions contributed as well. They knew exactly how to play on that abomination. We didn't.

tuffguy21
05-27-2014, 10:50 AM
No question you have a good team, but don't kid yourself. If you would have played an SEC schedule you would have at best only won 18 or 19 SEC games. Big difference between opposing Sun Belt arms and SEC arms.

considering we went 3-1 vs SEC teams (1-0 vs LSU, 2-1 vs Bama) this year when we played...I'd like our chances to compete for the title.

Statefan
05-27-2014, 10:56 AM
considering we went 3-1 vs SEC teams (1-0 vs LSU, 2-1 vs Bama) this year when we played...I'd like our chances to compete for the title.

I will give you the LSU game, but anything can happen with just a single game. But 2-1 against the 8th best team in the SEC?

Guys, we are in trouble

tuffguy21
05-27-2014, 11:08 AM
I will give you the LSU game, but anything can happen with just a single game. But 2-1 against the 8th best team in the SEC?

Guys, we are in trouble

Same Bama that swept Ole Miss earlier in the season, and if ya didn't know, we played them early in the season when they were playing good ball. I have to point to the SEC games because 53-7 (8 games better in the win column than anyone in the country), best offense in the country, and #1 in all polls isn't impressive to the 4th/5th place team in the SEC. I shouldn't hate MSU, I have State alums in my family, but seriously, the arrogance I've seen on this forum is ridiculous.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Same Bama that swept Ole Miss earlier in the season, and if ya didn't know, we played them early in the season when they were playing good ball. I have to point to the SEC games because 53-7 (8 games better in the win column than anyone in the country), best offense in the country, and #1 in all polls isn't impressive to the 4th/5th place team in the SEC. I shouldn't hate MSU, I have State alums in my family, but seriously, the arrogance I've seen on this forum is ridiculous.

being a little one-sided, aren't you? There is some swagger being displayed on both sides, but you should see that there are plenty of fans on our side who have a healthy respect for ULL. Fear, no, but respect, yes. I, for one, have not said ULL sucks or that we should have an easy time. I do, however, agree that your stats should be taken with a grain-of-salt, given the competition you faced. Yes, you beat Bama 2-1 at your place, but let's not discount the fact that you probably should have gone 1-2, as your 2-0 win came in a game in which both runs you got were unearned on 2 hits versus 7 for Bama, who scored none, and Bama committed 3 errors. To insinuate Bama was playing their best ball when you beat them is just not correct. Bama was just 4-3 coming into your series, and that against a fairly soft schedule.

There is a good reason most of our fans felt confident we would eventually catch Bama in the standings, as their schedule was much more difficult in the second half. They came back to the pack, pretty much as most expected.

RougeDawg
05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
And that was on grass and dirt surface. But pitching that lefty you guys are talking about should definitely stop some of our base stealing. Another thing we do extremely well that often gets over looked when talking about base running is the fact that we stretch a lot of singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Our guys are EXTREMELY aggresive on the base paths. I've seen a bunch of routine base hits this year that opposing outfields just kind of pull up and field it without much sense of urgency, only to realize our guy is rounding first base and not stopping. Then they rush to make a throw and often times it's eithe too late or it's an over throw and we are safe at second.

It's little things like that, that make our team so good. Also, so many people just see our home run numbers and think we are just a power hitting team, but they don't realize we also have over 35 bunt singles on the season. We are not afraid to do anything, we will play small ball if we need to or we will play gorilla ball. Whatever it takes.

^^^This is what worries me.^^^

Ct and Demarcus lolly gag more times than not on singles that aren't hit directly at them. It amazes me that more people don't stretch singles into doubles against us on a routine basis.

I seen it dawg
05-27-2014, 01:21 PM

You were doing real good discussing until the arrogance part. We can **** with our own posters but you won't come on here and do it. **** off douche bag.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Sorry, but it's the current #1 team vs last year's National Title runner up and traditional baseball power....we can understand your current confidence, but you should understand our typical confidence in this sport. Don't be a dickhead, especially on OUR board. Know where you are, and don't lump everybody in with the ones being over the top cocky. Both teams should feel confident, but neither should be cocky...including YOU.

BirdofParadise
05-27-2014, 01:39 PM

If we were in the SEC, we'd have an SEC budget...and even better players than we already have.

We don't need to beat the teams in the SEC. We need to be one from that league, one from the MWC and one from the SWAC to advance.

BirdofParadise
05-27-2014, 01:40 PM

Guys, we are in trouble

Wait...didn't you go 2-1 against them as well??

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Yes, dipshit....and unlike you guys, we aren't bragging about it

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
If we were in the SEC, we'd have an SEC budget...and even better players than we already have.

We don't need to beat the teams in the SEC. We need to be one from that league, one from the MWC and one from the SWAC to advance.

Damn, you guys are nothing but Southern Miss in different colors. Your true little bro comments are coming out now. Be confident, not cocky. Being a cocky douche on our board is a terrible look for you. Hell, we bash our own fans that are pricks....so we definitely aren't going to welcome opposing pricks.

BirdofParadise
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't think we don't have some talent guys. Our top two pitchers will go in the top 200 of the MLB draft. We have five juniors, not counting the pitchers, that we'll probably lose to the draft early. Our shortstop (just a sophomore) just got named to Team USA.

I know a lot of you have a healthy respect for Louisiana just as our fans do MSU.

And, before you suggest our power numbers have to do with the size of our park, our dimensions are 330-375-400. Just like most parks. (That's bigger dimensions than LSU, by the way). And, this time of year, the wind blows in from center field.

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 01:46 PM

At their place, not ours, and they did not "gift us" one, as they did you. Beyond that, we played a full SEC schedule and came out of it 18-12. No way you can compare our schedule with yours. Night & day difference.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Don't think we don't have some talent guys. Our top two pitchers will go in the top 200 of the MLB draft. We have five juniors, not counting the pitchers, that we'll probably lose to the draft early. Our shortstop (just a sophomore) just got named to Team USA.

I know a lot of you have a healthy respect for Louisiana just as our fans do MSU.

And, before you suggest our power numbers have to do with the size of our park, our dimensions are 330-375-400. Just like most parks. (That's bigger dimensions than LSU, by the way). And, this time of year, the wind blows in from center field.

Nobody says you don't have talent...and the dimensions have been discussed. Should be a fairly evenly matched game IMO

ScoobaDawg
05-27-2014, 02:29 PM

You think it's that easy? First off you would NEVER be invited to the SEC. So there's that. Second, SEC Teams have talent because we all have a long tradition in baseball. You have a little bit but not that much.

You will need to beat 2 SEC teams if you are planning to make it to Omaha.

and oh... if you do somehow win your regional. YOU DAMN WELL BETTER MAKE IT TO OMAHA.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Worried about our infield defense a little

This is the kind of crap that sends me over the edge. This post was made after our SS and 2B made the SEC All-Defensive team.

DownwardDawg
05-27-2014, 02:52 PM
You think it's that easy? First off you would NEVER be invited to the SEC. So there's that. Second, SEC Teams have talent because we all have a long tradition in baseball. You have a little bit but not that much.

You will need to beat 2 SEC teams if you are planning to make it to Omaha.

and oh... if you do somehow win your regional. YOU DAMN WELL BETTER MAKE IT TO OMAHA.

This is the most important post in this thread. Big "if" though.

SPMT
05-27-2014, 09:51 PM
If ULL has such good talent, why aren't the best players on that team playing for LSU?

Seriously.

Not being a dick, but seriously any coonass would give their first born to play for LSU.

SlickRick
05-27-2014, 11:21 PM
If ULL has such good talent, why aren't the best players on that team playing for LSU?

Seriously.

Not being a dick, but seriously any coonass would give their first born to play for LSU.

Well, if you want to get serious...I root for two teams, the Cajuns and whoever plays LSU. Sure we have Tigger fans living here, but the vast majority are Cajun fans. You've never here before, have you? Its kind of dickish to make that statement. :)

RougeDawg
05-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Seriously.

I'll explain this again since you may have missed the last 8-10 times I've posted it. Baseball past the high school level is not always about talent. Yes, talent helps but you can take an above average high school guy and turn him into a 1st round pick if you have a coach who teaches the proper swing mechanics as well as theehtsk part of the game. Obviously ULL has this type of coaching staff. I played college with 3 guys tho never got D1 looks our of high school, who were taught the mechanics in college and were all successful at the MLB level, one even made American League all star team 2 times. They learned the game and great swing mechanics.ost D1 coaches, especially SEC don't teach mechanics an barely teach the mental part. They expect your talent to carry you, hence our shitty swings and Wed Rea only hitting 3 bombs on the year. Rea on ULL would have 15-20 already, because yet would have altered his swing mechanics. As I and any real baseball person can see, Cohen doesn't change/alter our swings to a swing that has power gap to gap. Like I've been saying, I could take our hitters and increas their slugging %.150-200 points with just a few minor changes to their mechanics. This tells me one of two things; either we don't teach mechanics or out hitters are too good to listen and work on the proper swings. As others have stated, we win a lot of Ames despite our coaching, because on paper out telnet is pretty dm good but at this level coachin can trump talent more times than not.

For those of you who go watch ULL this weekend, watch their guys that have power and where their hands finish during their swing. It's what I've been talking about for years on these boards. They make contact in front of plate without breaking , and continue pushing forward to wother gap, and then finish up and I've the shoulder. As opposed to context right at the plate, wrists break at contact, and the bat finished around the rib cage ala CT (like a swinging gate).

This is the difference. Plus they know situational baseball and can most likely predict the pitches like I can. It's pretty easy if you know the game.

Ole Colony
05-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Under Coach Robe we have always been good at pitching and defense. Our #1 is the coach son and #2 is from the SEC getting a second chance. You guys we like watching SS and 2nd the best combine we have had. The biggest factor is Coach Deggs who came from Texas A&M. He is the reason we lead in home runs last year. He doesn't coach home runs it is just a by product of his style. We recruit for speed and as he says Popeye arms.

Duggie35
05-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Seriously.

Probably for the same reason some of MSU's players don't go to Ole Miss! Not all folks in Louisiana and/or Mississippi bow down and kiss the a$$ of the State's flagship!!!! Many of us are independent thinkers and are capable of making our own decisions rather than being led like a hog to slaughter!!!

smootness
05-28-2014, 09:59 PM
I'll explain this again since you may have missed the last 8-10 times I've posted it. Baseball past the high school level is not always about talent. Yes, talent helps but you can take an above average high school guy and turn him into a 1st round pick if you have a coach who teaches the proper swing mechanics as well as theehtsk part of the game. Obviously ULL has this type of coaching staff. I played college with 3 guys tho never got D1 looks our of high school, who were taught the mechanics in college and were all successful at the MLB level, one even made American League all star team 2 times. They learned the game and great swing mechanics.ost D1 coaches, especially SEC don't teach mechanics an barely teach the mental part. They expect your talent to carry you, hence our shitty swings and Wed Rea only hitting 3 bombs on the year. Rea on ULL would have 15-20 already, because yet would have altered his swing mechanics. As I and any real baseball person can see, Cohen doesn't change/alter our swings to a swing that has power gap to gap. Like I've been saying, I could take our hitters and increas their slugging %.150-200 points with just a few minor changes to their mechanics. This tells me one of two things; either we don't teach mechanics or out hitters are too good to listen and work on the proper swings. As others have stated, we win a lot of Ames despite our coaching, because on paper out telnet is pretty dm good but at this level coachin can trump talent more times than not.

For those of you who go watch ULL this weekend, watch their guys that have power and where their hands finish during their swing. It's what I've been talking about for years on these boards. They make contact in front of plate without breaking , and continue pushing forward to wother gap, and then finish up and I've the shoulder. As opposed to context right at the plate, wrists break at contact, and the bat finished around the rib cage ala CT (like a swinging gate).

This is the difference. Plus they know situational baseball and can most likely predict the pitches like I can. It's pretty easy if you know the game.

Good grief, dude. You have some baseball knowledge yet manage to come off like King Douche. First, if you're going to be condescending toward someone not taking your word as gospel, you might start with spell check or just proofreading what you're typing. Some of it is literally incomprehensible.

Second, what you're suggesting is fairly absurd. You're saying that any coach who understands hitting mechanics can take virtually anyone (there are thousands upon thousands of above-average HS players) and make them major-league players. It's laughable on its face.

BTW, where do you coach, my man? Surely you're making 6 figures with your golden (yet somehow very basic) knowledge of swing mechanics.

Dawg61
05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Probably for the same reason some of MSU's players don't go to Ole Miss! Not all folks in Louisiana and/or Mississippi bow down and kiss the a$$ of the State's flagship!!!! Many of us are independent thinkers and are capable of making our own decisions rather than being led like a hog to slaughter!!!

Hahaha you just compared ULL to MSU and LSU to UOM. Lol try ULL to UAB and LSU to Bama. That's a little more similar.

smootness
05-28-2014, 10:08 PM

Ha, nice try. I'm guessing you don't last long.

Duggie35
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Ha, nice try. I'm guessing you don't last long.

All I know is that if you last more than 4 hours, you need to go immediately to the emergency room or you may sustain permanent damage!!!!! LOL!!

TheRef
05-28-2014, 10:25 PM
All I know is that if you last more than 4 hours, you need to go immediately to the emergency room or you may sustain permanent damage!!!!! LOL!!

I'm just going to leave this here for you...

http://www.archersafetysigns.co.uk/images/w/w3927972.jpg

State82
05-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Good grief, dude. You have some baseball knowledge yet manage to come off like King Douche. First, if you're going to be condescending toward someone not taking your word as gospel, you might start with spell check or just proofreading what you're typing. Some of it is literally incomprehensible.

Second, what you're suggesting is fairly absurd. You're saying that any coach who understands hitting mechanics can take virtually anyone (there are thousands upon thousands of above-average HS players) and make them major-league players. It's laughable on its face.

BTW, where do you coach, my man? Surely you're making 6 figures with your golden (yet somehow very basic) knowledge of swing mechanics.

Amen to this. Come on RougeDawg, I can see you know baseball, but really, this was pretty much unreadable. How are you going to get your point across to anyone with this type of incoherent gibberish. And its not just this post. I see many on here that I just have to skip over because the English language, elementary spelling, and general writing skills are just massacred to the point it's not worth the effort. I don't mean to be a secondary education English teacher, because I am certainly not, but at least look like you have a college education when posting. That goes for everyone, not just RougeDawg. I'm not isolating him with this rant.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Yep.

A lot of times, just giving your thoughts on a subject will show your knowledge better than calling every poster on a board an idiot and pounding your chest while speaking gibberish and basic little league baseball fundamentals.

Laf_Cajun
05-29-2014, 10:52 AM

Seriously.

You stand corrected....aren't ya'll getting a COONASS next year who choose MSU over LSU? BTW, that word is derogatory.

BirdofParadise
05-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Yep.

A lot of times, just giving your thoughts on a subject will show your knowledge better than calling every poster on a board an idiot and pounding your chest while speaking gibberish and basic little league baseball fundamentals.

Didn't you call me an idiot on another thread??

smootness
05-29-2014, 11:05 AM

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. Of course it's true, but nobody is trying to bash ULL's program. We're talking about this year's team, which would not have won 53 games were it in the SEC. That's all we're saying. Yes, you would have better players in the SEC, probably. But you're not. We're not playing an SEC ULL, we're playing the current version.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Didn't you call me an idiot on another thread??

Yes because your statement was idiotic, and you have no knowledge of our team.

Never acted like I was smarter than all posters like the comment you're quoting. Nice try though. Weren't you the guy that said, "I would rather face Mitchell than Fitts"? If so, I'd love to see if I'm the only one thinking you're an idiot for that comment.

whosyourdawgy
05-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Never acted like I was smarter than all posters like the comment you're quoting. Nice try though. Weren't you the guy that said, "I would rather face Mitchell than Fitts"? If so, I'd love to see if I'm the only one thinking you're an idiot for that comment.

I saw that post. Don't know if it was birdman that said it, but it was an idiotic post. Ross is the perfect pitcher to pitch against a team like ULL. He has a good pick off move, gets ground balls, and fields his position pretty good. Except for the one game that he lost because of the error that would've should've been an inning ending double play.

Fitts can't get out of the 4th inning against the bad news bears. He's great til about then but that's all he's gonna give us.

Cajuns99
05-29-2014, 12:08 PM

Bird is our play by play guy and has seen almost every pitch of our baseball season. We are undefeated against lefties and hot 40 points higher against lefties. I would venture that he knows slot more about your team than you know about ours.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Bird is our play by play guy and has seen almost every pitch of our baseball season. We are undefeated against lefties and hot 40 points higher against lefties. I would venture that he knows slot more about your team than you know about ours.

Horse. Shit. I don't care who he is....If he is saying he would rather face a guy that rarely goes 5 innings vs one of the best pitchers in college baseball the last 2 years, he's an idiot. And he doesn't know more about MSU than me or this board...and we know that any team should want to face Fitts over Ross. Take your shit somewhere else if you want to call out someone's knowledge. Play by Play guy does not equal baseball expert.

Cajuns99
05-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Horse. Shit. I don't care who he is....If he is saying he would rather face a guy that rarely goes 5 innings vs one of the best pitchers in college baseball the last 2 years, he's an idiot. And he doesn't know more about MSU than me or this board...and we know that any team should want to face Fitts over Ross. Take your shit somewhere else if you want to call out someone's knowledge. Play by Play guy does not equal baseball expert.
Didn't say he knew more about your team than you do, he knows more about your team than you know about ours. I guess we will see...maybe we won't, might not even get to that. We each have a game to take care of before that. I don't see why you are getting upset, I would think you would be happy about throwing one of the best pitchers in the country against us. When every one of your losses have come against righties, it's not idiotic to want to see a lefty.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Didn't say he knew more about your team than you do, he knows more about your team than you know about ours. I guess we will see...maybe we won't, might not even get to that. We each have a game to take care of before that. I don't see why you are getting upset, I would think you would be happy about throwing one of the best pitchers in the country against us. When every one of your losses have come against righties, it's not idiotic to want to see a lefty.

Not upset. And yes, it IS idiotic when the lefty is one of the best in college baseball while the righty is nowhere near the top. It's like saying we'd rather face the #1 pitcher in the country than Jackson State's #2 guy, bc JSU's #2 throws Right handed and we hit better vs lefties. It's just not smart and shows your lack of knowledge about the 2 pitchers. Has nothing to do with knowledge of YOUR team, and everything to do with the 2 pitchers and how much better one is than the other.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 12:34 PM

And not only that, but if your boy, Birdman, knew ANYTHING about our team, he would know that Jacob Lindgren comes in right away if Fitts gets in trouble. Who is Jacob Lindgren? Oh, just a lefty that averages 2 K's per inning and is one of the best pitchers in the country...if not THE very best. So I feel pretty confident that I'm right and you/he is wrong

RougeDawg
05-29-2014, 02:00 PM

I'm on iPhone most of time and don't look at what it aucocotrwxts to. And it is difficult to see what you are typing because the screen jumps all over the place.

What I'm suggesting isn't absurd. I could take Wes Rea and work with him one summer as he'd be a 15+ HR guy in a college season. Every hitter who would make a few specific changes to their swing can increase power and average. Do you honestly think it was coincidence that Renfroe's power numbers jumped the summer he was in the cape? They have some of the next hitting instructors in the country. It also takes specific drills to reinforce the changes in mechanics. Then the knowledge piece is the capstone to a smart, efficient hitter. I'm saying that Any coach can take a borderline college guy and turn him into a top 10 round draft pick. I've seen it happen with my own two eyes. It takes a coach who knows as teaches the proper things AND a player who's willin to listen and work on what they are taught. This is how ULL is where they are, despite not pulling in the "starred talent" that power conference teams do.

I do not coach but you got part of your statement correct. In Omaha last year, I was sitting behind dugout during Indiana Game, just talking with my family and friend, predicting the pitches and bunts/throw overs/attempted steals/where the hitter was going to hit the ball, etc when the Omaha native in front of me turns around and asks how I was doing it. Told him I learned from one of the best and remembered the game. I was even yelling out back to our runners before the dugout. You can tell when things will happen if you know what to look for.

This is why I get so aggravated watching our swings and At Bats. My main point is, either our coaches don't teach the mechanics or our hitters don't listen. Either way we could dramatically improve if the swings were better mechanically. The offense would be feared by our opponents and we wouldn't need to manufacture runs.

smootness
05-29-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm on iPhone most of time and don't look at what it aucocotrwxts to. And it is difficult to see what you are typing because the screen jumps all over the place.

What I'm suggesting isn't absurd. I could take Wes Rea and work with him one summer as he'd be a 15+ HR guy in a college season. Every hitter who would make a few specific changes to their swing can increase power and average. Do you honestly think it was coincidence that Renfroe's power numbers jumped the summer he was in the cape? They have some of the next hitting instructors in the country. It also takes specific drills to reinforce the changes in mechanics. Then the knowledge piece is the capstone to a smart, efficient hitter. I'm saying that Any coach can take a borderline college guy and turn him into a top 10 round draft pick. I've seen it happen with my own two eyes. It takes a coach who knows as teaches the proper things AND a player who's willin to listen and work on what they are taught. This is how ULL is where they are, despite not pulling in the "starred talent" that power conference teams do.

I do not coach but you got part of your statement correct. In Omaha last year, I was sitting behind dugout during Indiana Game, just talking with my family and friend, predicting the pitches and bunts/throw overs/attempted steals/where the hitter was going to hit the ball, etc when the Omaha native in front of me turns around and asks how I was doing it. Told him I learned from one of the best and remembered the game. I was even yelling out back to our runners before the dugout. You can tell when things will happen if you know what to look for.

This is why I get so aggravated watching our swings and At Bats. My main point is, either our coaches don't teach the mechanics or our hitters don't listen. Either way we could dramatically improve if the swings were better mechanically. The offense would be feared by our opponents and we wouldn't need to manufacture runs.

Dang, I apologize. I had you pegged all wrong, I bow to your baseball genius. Anyone who claims they've sat in the stands and predicted pitches has proven to me they are the best hitting coach in the country.

Renfroe never played in the Cape, btw. He played on the same team two years in a row. The summer after barely playing for State as a freshman, he hit .305 with 8 HRs. He then returned to State and hit .252 with 4 HRs. Then he returned to the same summer league team and hit .366 with 16 HRs. He came back to State and was a significantly better hitter his junior year. Seems to me like he just matured, saw more pitching, and became a more refined player each year. Obviously he didn't learn those 2 or 3 basic principles that take you from being a no-name to a major-league player that first year for whatever reason, despite hitting really well in his summer league.

It's so weird that SEC schools don't hire these genius hitting instructors. Or I guess they do, since you absolutely would have considered Cohen among this group while he was at Northwestern State and Kentucky. Those teams hit the cover off the ball. Once he came to State, though, he lost all his basic knowledge of hitting. Yes, your scenario sounds plausible.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2014, 02:46 PM

Please tell me you are kidding. This is so overboard it has to be a joke. Rave on catshit.

smootness
05-29-2014, 03:24 PM
I just want to be on record, btw. If RougeDawg can take Robson, Vickerson, Bradford, Armstrong, Pirtle, Detz, Heck, and Henderson and turn them all into 15+ HR guys, please someone let Stricklin or Cohen know about this so he can be hired as hitting coach tomorrow.

Shoot, hire him as head coach, I don't care. If we can get that out of our lineup, we're clearly going to win it all year after year.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2014, 04:23 PM
I just want to be on record, btw. If RougeDawg can take Robson, Vickerson, Bradford, Armstrong, Pirtle, Detz, Heck, and Henderson and turn them all into 15+ HR guys, please someone let Stricklin or Cohen know about this so he can be hired as hitting coach tomorrow.

Shoot, hire him as head coach, I don't care. If we can get that out of our lineup, we're clearly going to win it all year after year.

You would think that we could pay him whatever he wanted since we would win it all every year under his tutelage. Why aren't we putting a package together?

Homedawg
05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Dang, I apologize. I had you pegged all wrong, I bow to your baseball genius. Anyone who claims they've sat in the stands and predicted pitches has proven to me they are the best hitting coach in the country.

Renfroe never played in the Cape, btw. He played on the same team two years in a row. The summer after barely playing for State as a freshman, he hit .305 with 8 HRs. He then returned to State and hit .252 with 4 HRs. Then he returned to the same summer league team and hit .366 with 16 HRs. He came back to State and was a significantly better hitter his junior year. Seems to me like he just matured, saw more pitching, and became a more refined player each year. Obviously he didn't learn those 2 or 3 basic principles that take you from being a no-name to a major-league player that first year for whatever reason, despite hitting really well in his summer league.

It's so weird that SEC schools don't hire these genius hitting instructors. Or I guess they do, since you absolutely would have considered Cohen among this group while he was at Northwestern State and Kentucky. Those teams hit the cover off the ball. Once he came to State, though, he lost all his basic knowledge of hitting. Yes, your scenario sounds plausible.

Edited- wrong quote.

Homedawg
05-29-2014, 04:55 PM

Sorry copied wrong post. This is bullshit. Award winning. Not yours smootness. My bad

CadaverDawg
05-29-2014, 05:12 PM

Good grief, Rouge.

smootness
05-29-2014, 06:01 PM
You would think that we could pay him whatever he wanted since we would win it all every year under his tutelage. Why aren't we putting a package together?

At the same time, we could also pay him whatever we wanted because he apparently isn't doing anything. He said I was partly right by saying he must be a coach making 6 figures; because instead of making 6 figures, he watches games in the park sometimes.