PDA

View Full Version : OMG! San Diego State is going to start a pitcher

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
that is RIGHT-HANDED!!!!

Should we forfeit?

Never mind that we are 27-12 against right handed starters.
Never mind that we have a higher team BA against right handed pitchers than left.
Never mind when we are 13-5 when Fitts or Laster starts, a better win percentage than Ross Mitchell.

We faced a right handed pitcher last week who we were only able to get 4 hits off in 3 2/3 innings.

We'd better wear gray pants. It will hide the brown streaks better when this guy takes the hill.

msstate7
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
W-l, era, strike outs, walks?

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
None of that matters. He throws the ball with his right hand.

Dawg61
05-26-2014, 07:41 PM
http://youtu.be/oAKG-kbKeIo

messageboardsuperhero
05-26-2014, 07:43 PM
One thing that stands out to me about SDSU is how mediocre they are on the road (15-14)- and that's against some pretty bad competition.

You can't count any NCAA tournament game as a gimme (unless it's against Jackson State), but I like our chances against SDSU.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 09:54 PM
that is RIGHT-HANDED!!!!

Should we forfeit?

Never mind that we are 27-12 against right handed starters.
Never mind that we have a higher team BA against right handed pitchers than left.
Never mind when we are 13-5 when Fitts or Laster starts, a better win percentage than Ross Mitchell.

We faced a right handed pitcher last week who we were only able to get 4 hits off in 3 2/3 innings.

We'd better wear gray pants. It will hide the brown streaks better when this guy takes the hill.

Think what you will of people's opinions on here of what we have seen this year but don't post that dumb shit on the SEC Rant Curmudgeon or should I call you Anc......

Todd4State
05-27-2014, 12:23 AM
He does have a point. You're being silly about our RH lineup being the only lineup that can hit. You're supporting argument is one game against South Carolina and.maybe one against Auburn's Sunday starter. All the while ignoring the majority of the time hasn't performed better. While I could.point to the LH lineup getting 17 off of Vandy.

You're also.saying that we didn't hit Kentucky's pitcher in a game where we scored six runs and the pitching let us down.

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 01:26 AM
He does have a point. You're being silly about our RH lineup being the only lineup that can hit. You're supporting argument is one game against South Carolina and.maybe one against Auburn's Sunday starter. All the while ignoring the majority of the time hasn't performed better. While I could.point to the LH lineup getting 17 off of Vandy.

You're also.saying that we didn't hit Kentucky's pitcher in a game where we scored six runs and the pitching let us down.

17 against Vandy who was obviously shook up and had given up many walks, hit batters and errors is also a bad example.

I think the biggest thing that is stupid is that we change our lineup so much from a right handed starter to a left handed starter. We never did this much changing of our lineup last year whatsoever. I am thinking that this really is more of an anomaly then the norm and has more to do with no one really stepping up in certain positions.

Do you really think our best lineup against right handed pitching includes Vickerson out there this year at all? Maybe next year but this year at most he should be doing is pinch hitting. Also against Kentucky, if Rea bats fifth instead of eighth he may have knocked in more runs as he was coming up to bat with no one on and getting hits when others were coming up empty earlier in the lineup.

Look these are my opinions and no one has to listen to them but it is kind of stupid to bitch about these opinions on a board that all SEC fans look at.

Also another stupid thing is I still think we will win the regional so I don't really understand why he is calling us pussies especially on an SEC fan site.

smootness
05-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Think what you will of people's opinions on here of what we have seen this year but don't post that dumb shit on the SEC Rant Curmudgeon or should I call you Anc......

Well, he seems to be offering fairly good evidence that shows that opinion may be completely off-base.

It's kind of like saying, 'I don't care what their OBPs are, my eyes tell me Player A has been on base more often'.

maroonmania
05-27-2014, 09:07 AM
One thing that stands out to me about SDSU is how mediocre they are on the road (15-14)- and that's against some pretty bad competition.

You can't count any NCAA tournament game as a gimme (unless it's against Jackson State), but I like our chances against SDSU.

True, but they are perfect at neutral sites (3-0).

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Im sure that Coach Cohen and our players could care less about what some of our doom and gloom fans think about our chances to win this regional.

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, he seems to be offering fairly good evidence that shows that opinion may be completely off-base.

It's kind of like saying, 'I don't care what their OBPs are, my eyes tell me Player A has been on base more often'.

You guys are COMPLETELY missing the point here. I really would not have responded or cared about his baiting post or thread. But he is bitching about everyone on an SEC Rant board saying he wishes he wasn't an MSU fan and such. You guys obviously did not get that and will continue to act in an oblivious manner.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Here's what happened.

Marketing asked if San Diego State's pitchers are right handed or left handed, stating that if they were right handed we would struggle because we struggled with the guy from Kentucky.

I went and looked and they were both right handed. He replies with this "woe is us attitude."

Being the biggest statistics nerd on this site, I go and research it. Are we really struggling that bad with right handed pitching. It turns out that we are significantly better against right handers instead of left handers, which perplexed me. Then I realized it you were basing it on one game. You deserve to be ridiculed as much as preachermatt and his "ULL is the best team in the country" mantra.

I'd buy you both a beer but you are both dead wrong on these two things. We may very well not get out of this regional, but it won't be because ULL is the best team in the country or some average Mountain West pitcher throws right handed.

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Here's what happened.

Marketing asked if San Diego State's pitchers are right handed or left handed, stating that if they were right handed we would struggle because we struggled with the guy from Kentucky.

I went and looked and they were both right handed. He replies with this "woe is us attitude."

Being the biggest statistics nerd on this site, I go and research it. Are we really struggling that bad with right handed pitching. It turns out that we are significantly better against right handers instead of left handers, which perplexed me. Then I realized it you were basing it on one game. You deserve to be ridiculed as much as preachermatt and his "ULL is the best team in the country" mantra.

I'd buy you both a beer but you are both dead wrong on these two things. We may very well not get out of this regional, but it won't be because ULL is the best team in the country or some average Mountain West pitcher throws right handed.

All I want is for us to put the best lineup out there regardless of who is pitching. We didn't do that against Georgia and against Kentucky. If Cohen just started our best nine, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous discussion what so ever.

Here is my lineup I would use regardless:

1. Heck
2. Bradford
3. Pirtle
4. Collins
5. Rea
6. Humphreys
7. Henderson
8. Armstrong/Brown
9. Britton

I can guarantee that if we start that lineup regardless of who is pitching we would score some runs. You could have Detz and Vickerson come on as pinch hitters if you needed a left handed bat.

Also for what it's worth we were 1-2 in the SEC tournament against starting right handers and 1-0 against left handed starters.

smootness
05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
You guys are COMPLETELY missing the point here. I really would not have responded or cared about his baiting post or thread. But he is bitching about everyone on an SEC Rant board saying he wishes he wasn't an MSU fan and such. You guys obviously did not get that and will continue to act in an oblivious manner.

Are you responding to him based on what he posted an another message board? If so, my apologies, I didn't know we had to be well-versed in every possible message board in order to discuss.

But those are two different arguments. Whether curmudgeon is being a douche vs. whether his point is right concerning RH pitchers are two different things; but you seemed to be responding to his stats by saying, 'Say whatever you will but some have seen differently'.

Todd4State
05-27-2014, 03:22 PM
17 against Vandy who was obviously shook up and had given up many walks, hit batters and errors is also a bad example.

I think the biggest thing that is stupid is that we change our lineup so much from a right handed starter to a left handed starter. We never did this much changing of our lineup last year whatsoever. I am thinking that this really is more of an anomaly then the norm and has more to do with no one really stepping up in certain positions.

Do you really think our best lineup against right handed pitching includes Vickerson out there this year at all? Maybe next year but this year at most he should be doing is pinch hitting. Also against Kentucky, if Rea bats fifth instead of eighth he may have knocked in more runs as he was coming up to bat with no one on and getting hits when others were coming up empty earlier in the lineup.

Look these are my opinions and no one has to listen to them but it is kind of stupid to bitch about these opinions on a board that all SEC fans look at.

Also another stupid thing is I still think we will win the regional so I don't really understand why he is calling us pussies especially on an SEC fan site.

You are aware I could.say the exact same thing about South Carolina's pitcher being off correct?

You are also aware that Demarcus hit below the Mendoza line in SEC play?
E
The fact of the matter is s neither one is clearly superior to the other which is why they are platooning. Act ally, I think you could make a solid.case that Vickerson is better than Demarcus.

It's silly to use one game as support- especially when there are multiple other games that show that you are wrong.

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 04:09 PM
You are aware I could.say the exact same thing about South Carolina's pitcher being off correct?

You are also aware that Demarcus hit below the Mendoza line in SEC play?
E
The fact of the matter is s neither one is clearly superior to the other which is why they are platooning. Act ally, I think you could make a solid.case that Vickerson is better than Demarcus.

It's silly to use one game as support- especially when there are multiple other games that show that you are wrong.

Vickerson also went 0fer in hitting in at least 20+ games he played overall. Look at the box scores. A lot of 0fers by his name. In fact there was a time that even you said he has got to sit him. Maybe if Demarcus played more he would have better stats. Vick had twice the at bats that Henderson did in SEC play just about.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 04:15 PM
All I want is for us to put the best lineup out there regardless of who is pitching. We didn't do that against Georgia and against Kentucky. If Cohen just started our best nine, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous discussion what so ever.

Here is my lineup I would use regardless:

1. Heck
2. Bradford
3. Pirtle
4. Collins
5. Rea
6. Humphreys
7. Henderson
8. Armstrong/Brown
9. Britton

I can guarantee that if we start that lineup regardless of who is pitching we would score some runs. You could have Detz and Vickerson come on as pinch hitters if you needed a left handed bat.

Also for what it's worth we were 1-2 in the SEC tournament against starting right handers and 1-0 against left handed starters.

Why would we "need a left handed bat" if matchups don't matter and the players you put in your lineup are the guaranteed best?

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Why would we "need a left handed bat" if matchups don't matter and the players you put in your lineup are the guaranteed best?

Really? You are going to argue the difference between situational hitting vs changing the lineup drastically every game? Also, I thought Henderson was your boy. Are you arguing that Vickerson is better then him and deserves to start over him when we face right handed pitchers?

Todd4State
05-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Vickerson also went 0fer in hitting in at least 20+ games he played overall. Look at the box scores. A lot of 0fers by his name. In fact there was a time that even you said he has got to sit him. Maybe if Demarcus played more he would have better stats. Vick had twice the at bats that Henderson did in SEC play just about.

So you think a guy who isn't hitting will hit better because he plays more? Got it.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Really? You are going to argue the difference between situational hitting vs changing the lineup drastically every game? Also, I thought Henderson was your boy. Are you arguing that Vickerson is better then him and deserves to start over him when we face right handed pitchers?

Who said anything about Henderson? I'm simply pointing out flaws in an argument. I actually agree with you about how good our lineup is against LHP, but I disagree that it means we should start that same lineup vs RHP. I would never DH Vickerson. If Cohen wants him in the outfield to replace DA or Hendu, fine...but DHing him is absurd. Detz should DH vs a RHP. That being said, if you would just say what you prefer, and not beat it into the ground and say we can only be successful vs LHP...you would probably be in less of these debates. Just my advice and $.02.

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Who said anything about Henderson? I'm simply pointing out flaws in an argument. I actually agree with you about how good our lineup is against LHP, but I disagree that it means we should start that same lineup vs RHP. I would never DH Vickerson. If Cohen wants him in the outfield to replace DA or Hendu, fine...but DHing him is absurd. Detz should DH vs a RHP. That being said, if you would just say what you prefer, and not beat it into the ground and say we can only be successful vs LHP...you would probably be in less of these debates. Just my advice and $.02.

Yeah, you are probably right. I do think we have a really good chance to win this regional. I do think that this season's absurd lineup changes are more of an anomaly then the norm for Cohen. I think the reason he has done these drastic things is that some of our position players never stood up to take the job. I think had some players done that we would have a more settled lineup. That's not on Cohen but for some reason some of our guys just struggled this year at the plate. They seem genuinely like good kids and I have nothing personally against Vickerson. I really hope our bats come alive no matter who Cohen puts out there. I think it would be extra satisfying getting to Omaha knowing that trip will go through Oxford. Let's buckle up boys and see how far these guys can take us!! Let's go for our tenth trip!