PDA

View Full Version : How do we pitch the Regional

Quaoarsking
05-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm thinking Laster vs. SDSU, and save Mitchell for ULL. If our Saturday opponent is Jackson State, throw Gentry and Tatum.

If Laster and Mitchell can give us 7-9 innings apiece, we're in really good shape pitchingwise going into Sunday, even if we lose a game.

Harrydawg
05-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Just listened to Cohens interview....all about match ups.
What does SDST do/hit well and go away from it.

This is something that our staff is pretty damn good at....
matching up to get our advantage.

smootness
05-26-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking Laster vs. SDSU, and save Mitchell for ULL. If our Saturday opponent is Jackson State, throw Gentry and Tatum.

If Laster and Mitchell can give us 7-9 innings apiece, we're in really good shape pitchingwise going into Sunday, even if we lose a game.

Fitts? I would definitely save Mitchell, especially since it comes on his usual Saturday.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2014, 02:26 PM
damn, looking at ULL, they have hit 63 homers and have 8 guys batting over .300. They went 53-7 on the year. I don't care who you are playing that is impressive.

I would go Laster, Mitchell, Fitts. And have Lindgren ready to go as soon as we need him.

smootness
05-26-2014, 02:37 PM
I would go Fitts in game one and hope our bats can build a decent lead by the 5th or so and we can save Lindgren. Game 1 is a must, and that would give us a good shot to start 2-0 with Mitchell. Then we have some room to make mistakes at that point, but we also hopefully will have saved Lindgren as much as possible.

KB21
05-26-2014, 03:04 PM
I'd go with Laster in game 1 and Mitchell in game 2. If we are 2-0 and playing for a championship, I'm very comfortable knowing that we will likely have a piggy back situation with Fitts and Lindgren for the championship.

BulldogBear
05-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I would go Fitts in game one and hope our bats can build a decent lead by the 5th or so and we can save Lindgren. Game 1 is a must, and that would give us a good shot to start 2-0 with Mitchell. Then we have some room to make mistakes at that point, but we also hopefully will have saved Lindgren as much as possible.

THis^ ...if we get by game one and Mitchell can beat ULL, I think we've got it.

DawgSaint
05-26-2014, 03:35 PM
I'd go with Laster in game 1 and Mitchell in game 2. If we are 2-0 and playing for a championship, I'm very comfortable knowing that we will likely have a piggy back situation with Fitts and Lindgren for the championship.

I agree. I don't think anybody wants to, but no way Mitchell pitches until game 2. I would be fine with Laster going in game 1.

AlSwearengen
05-26-2014, 04:38 PM
winning the first two is the key in this format. If Mitchell is facing ULL and his sinker is working, we can beat them, assuming we score five.

Statefan
05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Really the ony discussion is Laster vs. Fitts

CadaverDawg
05-26-2014, 05:55 PM
I would throw Fitts in game 1, and then Ross vs ULL. That way, if Ross were to get in early trouble, you could potentially even throw Laster out there. But, if we can get 5-6 out of Fitts vs SDSU, and not have to use Lindgren to finish it....we will be tough to beat with Ross and Laster in Game 2 and 3 with Lindgren fresh in the pen.

I would start Fitts, and try not to use Lindgren or Holder at all in Game 1.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 05:59 PM

I'd go Fitts as well because we will make it a pitcher's duel. I am predicting us winning it 3-2 or 2-1 in the first game. We will need our pitchers to have their A game this weekend. We will only be facing Right handed pitchers so we won't put our best lineup out there.

If we can't hit Kentucky's 0-1 7+ ERA pitcher they started against us Thursday, will be tough to hit someone's right handed ace.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 06:01 PM
I would throw Fitts in game 1, and then Ross vs ULL. That way, if Ross were to get in early trouble, you could potentially even throw Laster out there. But, if we can get 5-6 out of Fitts vs SDSU, and not have to use Lindgren to finish it....we will be tough to beat with Ross and Laster in Game 2 and 3 with Lindgren fresh in the pen.

I would start Fitts, and try not to use Lindgren or Holder at all in Game 1.

With us facing Right Handers, I forsee us having to use Lindgren and Holder a lot.

I seen it dawg
05-26-2014, 06:02 PM
I think we keep doing what we do. Fitts/Lindgren in 1, Ross/Holder in 2, and Laster and staff in 3. The key is Fitts getting deep in game1. Seems logical and what a lot of you think.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 06:08 PM
I think we keep doing what we do. Fitts/Lindgren in 1, Ross/Holder in 2, and Laster and staff in 3. The key is Fitts getting deep in game1. Seems logical and what a lot of you think.

I agree. I think us winning this regional will be all about pitching. If our pitchers have a bad game, we could be in trouble but I think they come out and bring their A game. I think we will give ULL all they want in this thing. I hope Cohen wises up and stops these different lineups for Right and Left handed pitching because it has cost us this year. Personally, if he would just use the lineup we used when we beat USC 12-0, we could make a big run. I wish he would just use that lineup and go with it.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2014, 07:01 PM
I agree. I think us winning this regional will be all about pitching. If our pitchers have a bad game, we could be in trouble but I think they come out and bring their A game. I think we will give ULL all they want in this thing. I hope Cohen wises up and stops these different lineups for Right and Left handed pitching because it has cost us this year. Personally, if he would just use the lineup we used when we beat USC 12-0, we could make a big run. I wish he would just use that lineup and go with it.

but he won't.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2014, 07:06 PM

I

That's what will do, but it's unlikely Fitts goes more than 4/5 innings which means we will have to throw Lindgren. At least with Laster there is a chance he goes deep. That's why I would throw Laster. We are going to have to beat ULL twice and I want Mitchell and Lindgren at full strength.

38843dawg
05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
More than likely Fitts will start game 1 against SDSU. Looking at their top ten position players (playing time wise) all but two of them are right handed batters. Not to mention I don't see Cohen messing with the front end of our rotation this late in the year especially as a 2 seed in a regional. The biggest thing we need to worry about is not so much who is starting in game 1 but who else will be used in game 1. If at all possible we need to save Lingo for ULL that along with a strong performance from Mitchell is our key to winning the regional.

RossDawg82
05-26-2014, 07:34 PM
What is ULL's lineup. If it's a bunch of lefties then I would have Ross and lingeren all the way. If it's a bunch of righties then I use Ross and holder

38843dawg
05-26-2014, 07:37 PM
ULL's lineup features 6 righties and 3 lefties (that is their usual lineup for the most part). With only two guys hitting below .300.

State82
05-26-2014, 07:46 PM
That's what will do, but it's unlikely Fitts goes more than 4/5 innings which means we will have to throw Lindgren. At least with Laster there is a chance he goes deep. That's why I would throw Laster. We are going to have to beat ULL twice and I want Mitchell and Lindgren at full strength.

I agree. I think the only way to come out of this deal is to roll the dice, due to our offensive ineptness. That means opening up with the guy that most reduces our chance of needing Lingo out of the pen. To win this thing, Mitchell, Lindgren and Holder cannot get taxed early or we are toast.

RossDawg82
05-26-2014, 08:30 PM
I think to win this thing lingo can't pitch more than 8 innings and holder no more than 5. We need our starters to go as deep as possible

preachermatt83
05-26-2014, 08:36 PM

exactly. Fitts is going to be solid for 3-4 innings and then you are gonna have to burn Lingo and go in the next game without him. Your best chance for 7 strong innings is Laster.

Coach34
05-26-2014, 08:50 PM
We are going to throw Fitts for his usual 3-4 then we will bring on Lingo.

Cohen aint gonna change now

Pioneer Dawg
05-26-2014, 09:34 PM
As a ULL poster said, the turf allows for a lot of stolen bases. I think we go all out with the LHP to prevent that, as well as have Cannon Collins behind the plate.

Laster vs SDSU
Ross vs ULL
Lindgren for most of the game vs ULL.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 10:00 PM
As a ULL poster said, the turf allows for a lot of stolen bases. I think we go all out with the LHP to prevent that, as well as have Cannon Collins behind the plate.

Laster vs SDSU
Ross vs ULL
Lindgren for most of the game vs ULL.

I like Laster starting the first game. He has turned in a great year for us with the small amount of opportunities he has gotten. He did extremely well last Tuesday. I think Laster, Mitchell, Fitts/Johnny Wholestaff = win.

preachermatt83
05-26-2014, 10:42 PM
sadly, Coach34 is correct. While Laster in game 1 makes the most sense, Fitts will get the nod. I don't like it but that aint gonna change it.

Todd4State
05-27-2014, 12:28 AM
By starting Fitts.it will allow us to use Lindgren twice.

Pioneer Dawg
05-27-2014, 12:32 AM
By starting Fitts.it will allow us to use Lindgren twice.

Unless Fitts goes 2 innings.

Using Lindgren twice may be better set up by having Laster go 6 than Fitts go his usual 3.1.

smootness
05-27-2014, 06:57 AM
It just comes down to who you trust more, and I think it has to be Fitts. I like what Laster has done, but I just don't feel good about throwing him in a game as important as Game 1. Fitts has proven himself for 3 years now, and he made some really quality starts last year during our run. I would feel pretty good about him at least giving us 4 good innings. If he can go 5 or 6, all the better, but he should at least allow you to build a lead early, assuming we're hitting at all.