PDA

View Full Version : SEC Baseball Needs to Get Rid of Canceled Games

The Croom Diaries
05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Here's some reading material if you need it. Canceled conference games should be done away with - could be costing us a legit shot at a bye in the SEC Tourney, which could be one and done if we don't watch it.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/5/13/4327178/sec-baseball-needs-to-get-rid-of-canceled-games

Ronny
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
...regular season canceled games should be played immeidately after the regular season ends.

For instance, after the regular season ends on Sat. night, the next day (Sunday) Vandy should have to play USCe to make up for their canceled game.

That would cause alot of bitching & whining from the coaches of course, but sometimes to even the playing field for everybody else, you have to make sacrifices. (Or at least that what these coaches constantly tell their players & fanbases).

maroonmania
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Here's some reading material if you need it. Canceled conference games should be done away with - could be costing us a legit shot at a bye in the SEC Tourney, which could be one and done if we don't watch it.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/5/13/4327178/sec-baseball-needs-to-get-rid-of-canceled-games

I agree with his principle but his math is wrong. SC is 16-10 while we are 14-13 so let's theoretically say SC had lost the other Vandy game which would have them at 16-11. We STILL would have to sweep to overtake them in the standings. If we took 2 of 3 we would be 16-14 and they would still be 17-13 which wouldn't get the job done. So in this instance, assuming we get all 3 games in this weekend, the fact that Vandy and SC didn't play their other game does NOT affect our ability to overtake SC for fourth in the SEC standings in any way. A sweep makes up 3 games but 2 out of 3 only makes up 1 game.

Quaoarsking
05-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Perhaps the SEC could require schools to keep open the last 2 midweeks in case they need to make up a game.

The Croom Diaries
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Nice catch maroon mania, I just thought about winning two games while being two games back but didn't even think about they game they would win. No one else has noticed though, ha. That's what happens when you get an idea and slap something up. Sounds better that its costing us though, the whole article looses relevance now. Damn you. This is embarrassing.

maroonmania
05-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Nice catch maroon mania, I just thought about winning two games while being two games back but didn't even think about they game they would win. No one else has noticed though, ha. That's what happens when you get an idea and slap something up. Sounds better that its costing us though, the whole article looses relevance now. Damn you. This is embarrassing.

Sorry to throw a turd in proverbial punch bowl because I still think your point is well taken. I seem to remember even outright SEC regular season championships decided at times over the years by a half game because someone didn't get to play all of their regularly scheduled SEC games for the year. The easiest thing to me would be to hold the teams over at their respective location until Monday to finish the series if need be when the weather looks like it will be improving. The SEC will rail about the teams missing class on Monday but that is a joke since they have NO problem asking teams to miss an extra day of class on Thursdays for an ESPN broadcast and shifting a whole series to Th-Sa. And even then they won't even allow that series to go into Sunday if need be, its just plain ridiculous. Allowing for one extra day (Monday for a Fr-Su series or a Sunday for a Th-Sa series) which wouldn't be needed very often IS the easiest fix and the only reason its not done that way is that SEC baseball is NOT a priority for the SEC decision makers.

The Croom Diaries
05-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry to throw a turd in proverbial punch bowl because I still think your point is well taken. I seem to remember even outright SEC regular season championships decided at times over the years by a half game because someone didn't get to play all of their regularly scheduled SEC games for the year. The easiest thing to me would be to hold the teams over at their respective location until Monday to finish the series if need be when the weather looks like it will be improving. The SEC will rail about the teams missing class on Monday but that is a joke since they have NO problem asking teams to miss an extra day of class on Thursdays for an ESPN broadcast and shifting a whole series to Th-Sa. And even then they won't even allow that series to go into Sunday if need be, its just plain ridiculous. Allowing for one extra day (Monday for a Fr-Su series or a Sunday for a Th-Sa series) which wouldn't be needed very often IS the easiest fix and the only reason its not done that way is that SEC baseball is NOT a priority for the SEC decision makers.

I'd like to see us go back to Saturday double headers, but nine inning ones. Then you'd have Sunday to make up one of the games if need be. 2 games in one day at DNF, that would be fun.