PDA

View Full Version : Official San Diego State Scouting Thread

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Post what you find about the Aztecs here.

San Diego State sucks. No worries about them. They would not be in he tournament if they wouldn't have won the MWC Tournament. Don't be fooled by their 41-19 record. They played ZERO Top 25 teams all season and only played four Top 50 teams.

The key is if Fitts can go 5+ and we don't have to use Lindgren until Sunday.

They have 25 home runs all season, but one guy has 12. Brad Haynal is their man. He also has 14 doubles and hits .313. Looks like they hit .291 as a team, but again, strength of schedule is 129th.

Bubba Derby (8-3, 2.69 ERA) or Mark Seyler (8-5, 3.99 ERA) are their likely pitchers against us. Derby leads their team with 103.1 IP and struck out 55. Batters are hitting .205 against him. Seyler is more of a strikeout guy, 74 in 96 IP, but teams hit .270 against him.

Bullpen is not impressive. A couple of guys in the high 2s ERA and then a bunch of 4.00+ They do have a closer with 20 saves and 55 K in 51 IP, but we won't face him.

They field .973 as a team. They make over an error a game.

Dawg61
05-26-2014, 12:07 PM
They were 24-5 at home and 15-14 away.

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/sdsu-m-basebl-CumulativeStats.html

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/sdsu-m-basebl-sched.html

Jacksondevildog
05-26-2014, 12:08 PM
With our lack of consistency in our offense, any team has a chance to beat us. Hopefully, some of our older guys step up and put the team on their shoulders.

Dawg61
05-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Here's their message board. From the looks of it they like talking baseball too.

http://www.aztecmesa.proboards.com/board/2/aztec-sports-conference-discussions

Saltydog
05-26-2014, 12:11 PM
lack of hitting we are prone to losing to average clubs.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Jacksonville State is a tougher opening game for Ole Miss than San Diego State is for us.

Jax State is playing good ball, they have a top 100 RPI (which usually means tough 4 seed) and they have a pitcher that matches up well with Ole Miss. Ole Miss should beat them, but that's a tougher opening game than ours against San Diego State.

San Diego State shouldn't be in the tournament. The MWC is typically horrible at baseball. The Pac 12 being down this year helped them get a little better. Their regular season conference champion did not even make the field. That being said, the MWC is better top to bottom than the Sun Belt, who only got one team in.

Don't be surprised if we go 3-0 in this regional without a contest. ULL is tough, but far from "the best team in college baseball" like one poster says. ULL played two top 50 teams all year, the last being on March 2. The highest RPI team they played since March 2? #66 Arkansas State.

Maroons
05-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Don't be surprised if we go 3-0 in this regional without a contest.

You have lost your mind. We have a chance to win, but we aren't the favorites here.

Jacksondevildog
05-26-2014, 12:28 PM
curmudgeon, you are smoking some good shit. I like the confidence, but we are about to go play in a place that is locking out all opposing fans through their ticket office. Their park plays small and they've hit 63 bombs all year. Our staff likes playing in large parks and it gives our pitching staff confidence. We won't have the same confidence down there as we did in Hoover.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 12:31 PM
I have lost my mind then. Our draw last year was tougher.

ULL getting Jackson State instead of Southeastern Louisiana is huge. SELA would have given them a game and might have woke them up a little. JSU won't. They will rest in their 54-7 laurels when we burn their stadium down on Saturday with Ross Mitchell.

San Diego State is cleaning the brown streak out of their pants right now. ULL is too cocky to know they got screwed. We will do our part to set up the Magnolia State Apocalypse. Washington will be a tough out for Ole Miss, though.

messageboardsuperhero
05-26-2014, 12:33 PM
I have lost my mind then. Our draw last year was tougher.

ULL getting Jackson State instead of Southeastern Louisiana is huge. SELA would have given them a game and might have woke them up a little. JSU won't. They will rest in their 54-7 laurels when we burn their stadium down on Saturday with Ross Mitchell.

San Diego State is cleaning the brown streak out of their pants right now. ULL is too cocky to know they got screwed. We will do our part to set up the Magnolia State Apocalypse. Washington will be a tough out for Ole Miss, though.

I wish I shared your optimism...

starkvegasdawg
05-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Time for this team to get their balls to drop again and play up to potential. We need all hands on deck now. Time for excuses is over. If things go as they should then there will be a showdown in Oxford that will make the Egg Bowl look like a spring practice. TSUN will be playing for a chance to go to Omaha for the first time in decades. If they can do that at our expense the amount of hell we will catch will be unfathomable. If we win, and go back to Omaha at their expense AND keep their futile streak going you may see Bianco burned at the stake on the pitcher's mound after the game. Just the thought of them having to watch us dog pile on their infield and what all that means would be enough for all rational thought to go bye bye in Oxford. This will be a war, gentlemen. Time to act like it.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 12:36 PM
ULL hasn't played a team with a pulse since March 2. They have a gawdy record and are deserving of the host and national seed. Let me remind you of something. We basically have the same overall record as the #2 national seed, Florida. Why isn't a 53-7 record a higher national seed? Because they are a good team, not great. They are equal to Alabama/Arkansas in my book. Good enough to beat you, but not great.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2014, 12:37 PM
San Diego State was 17-13 in the 9th best conference, RPI of 36, 10-6 against the top 50. They would have made the NCAA without the autobid.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Nope, they wouldn't have. 10-6 was against four crappy barely top 50 teams. The conference regular season champion is not in the tournament.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Nope, they wouldn't have. 10-6 was against four crappy barely top 50 teams. The conference regular season champion is not in the tournament.

So? New Mexico has an RPI of 63. Of course they didn't make it without an autobid.

Teams with an RPI in the 30s almost never get left out. When they do, it's because they have a terrible conference and/or overall record (like West Virginia this year) or a terrible record against the top 50/100. For example, Old Dominion has an RPI of 35, but an otherwise much worse resume than SDSU and they still made it.

preachermatt83
05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
im sorry but if we play like we have most of the year then ULL will destroy us. Our only silver lining is that we will have Ross throwing against them.

preachermatt83
05-26-2014, 02:09 PM
and I wouldn't risk burning my pen against SDSU by throwing fitts, I'd pitch Laster. I believe he could give us 6-7 solid innings.

GreenheadDawg
05-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Let's worry about SDSU before worrying about ULL. I'm sorry but I have ZERO confidence in this team. They have shown time and time again that they fold when under the bright lights

jbjones
05-26-2014, 02:14 PM
This will be a war, gentlemen. Time to act like it.

Hmm..interesting take. I like it.

MSUMatt
05-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Need to pitch it away from the blond in pigtails. Kind of worried about the bobsled team if they get on first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqCDCJg3XU&feature=youtu.be

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Post what you find about the Aztecs here.

San Diego State sucks. No worries about them. They would not be in he tournament if they wouldn't have won the MWC Tournament. Don't be fooled by their 41-19 record. They played ZERO Top 25 teams all season and only played four Top 50 teams.

The key is if Fitts can go 5+ and we don't have to use Lindgren until Sunday.

They have 25 home runs all season, but one guy has 12. Brad Haynal is their man. He also has 14 doubles and hits .313. Looks like they hit .291 as a team, but again, strength of schedule is 129th.

Bubba Derby (8-3, 2.69 ERA) or Mark Seyler (8-5, 3.99 ERA) are their likely pitchers against us. Derby leads their team with 103.1 IP and struck out 55. Batters are hitting .205 against him. Seyler is more of a strikeout guy, 74 in 96 IP, but teams hit .270 against him.

Bullpen is not impressive. A couple of guys in the high 2s ERA and then a bunch of 4.00+ They do have a closer with 20 saves and 55 K in 51 IP, but we won't face him.

They field .973 as a team. They make over an error a game.

Are they right or left handed pitchers? That to me is the key on if we make a run or not. If they start left handed pitchers, I agree with you curmudgeon. If they start right handed pitchers, it will be more interesting then it should be.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Surprise. Preacher Matt thinks ULL is the best team in the country. Even though they haven't played an NCAA Tournament team since March 2, we should be shaking in our boots.

Both of their potential starters are RHP, but you are thinking too much. Know why LSU fans really, really wanted to be matched up with ULL if they weren't a national seed? Ask them. Its because ULL is phony.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Surprise. Preacher Matt thinks ULL is the best team in the country. Even though they haven't played an NCAA Tournament team since March 2, we should be shaking in our boots.

Both of their potential starters are RHP, but you are thinking too much. Know why LSU fans really, really wanted to be matched up with ULL if they weren't a national seed? Ask them. Its because ULL is phony.

So that will mean we won't start our best lineup. We will put Vickerson at the DH or even worse start him in the outfield over say Henderson and we will probably either not play Rea or bat him ridiculously eighth instead of fifth in the lineup. These are all things that happen when the opposing team has started a right hander all year. It's why we struggled at the plate against Georgia in the tournament and why we only got singles against Kentucky. I am not over thinking this because this shit has happened all year long. It's been Cohen's Achilles heel with this team. We don't have a settled lineup and the ones we start in the regional will probably be our 55+ different one.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Georgia's pitching is better than San Diego State's. They are simply not a good team and we will win a 5-1 type game.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Georgia's pitching is better than San Diego State's. They are simply not a good team and we will win a 5-1 type game.

Is the Kentucky right handed pitcher who was 0-1 and had a 7+ ERA better then SDSU's pitching? We have shown we can make any right handed pitcher look like an Ace at times this year because of the lineup we put out there to face them.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2014, 06:06 PM
You would think our team was dog shit based off of some of our fan responses. We are a 2 seeded SEC team playing a SunBelt team in a Regional. We may not win, but by God we should be walking into this thing confident, bc I guarandamntee you that Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, and several other teams would love to swap places with us. Hell, at this point I'm not sure Ole miss wouldn't swap with us after seeing their draw.

Why do we always have to be so "Poor MSU" and over complimentary of our opponents? It's postseason, it's time to flex SEC muscle and kick ass. This team was built for the next few weeks. Soak it in boys!!

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 06:15 PM
You would think our team was dog shit based off of some of our fan responses. We are a 2 seeded SEC team playing a SunBelt team in a Regional. We may not win, but by God we should be walking into this thing confident, bc I guarandamntee you that Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, and several other teams would love to swap places with us. Hell, at this point I'm not sure Ole miss wouldn't swap with us after seeing their draw.

Why do we always have to be so "Poor MSU" and over complimentary of our opponents? It's postseason, it's time to flex SEC muscle and kick ass. This team was built for the next few weeks. Soak it in boys!!

I agree but we have shown when we face right handed pitching we don't put the best lineup out there. Do you not concur? I hope that Cohen uses the lineup that we used against USC and Auburn when we outscored them a combined 24-1. Wouldn't that make more sense? Instead we use a lineup that basically only gets singles and we have to basically out three hits together to score. Luckily we have a bad ass pitching staff to overcome this. I still think we give ULL a run for their money but it will be lower scores then you guys think.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Thank you cadaver.

We played for the friggin national title last year. We should be cocky headed to a Sun Belt school to play a Mountain West team. We got the best draw of any 2 seed in the whole thing.

Instead it's poor ole MSU. We have to face right handed pitching. ULL won 50 games. What the hell are you pussies going to do when we beat LSU in Tiger Stadium this football season?

I seen it dawg
05-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Thank you cadaver.

We played for the friggin national title last year. We should be cocky headed to a Sun Belt school to play a Mountain West team. We got the best draw of any 2 seed in the whole thing.

Instead it's poor ole MSU. We have to face right handed pitching. ULL won 50 games. What the hell are you pussies going to do when we beat LSU in Tiger Stadium this football season?

I like the fired up Curmudgeon. This is all spot on. We are the runner up from last year. These ****ers should be pissed we are in their regional and scared of us. Our locker room better damn well have that attitude.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 06:27 PM
We are going to burn down Lafayette. Rape their women and march to Oxford.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 06:29 PM
My prediction is a Washington Mississippi State Super Regional. Who would host then?

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 06:31 PM
That's the spirit, MarketingBully,

One of the best games in Dudy Noble was Eric Dubose taking down those Huskies on Memorial Day, 1997.

MarketingBully01
05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
I never said we would lose. I just think it will be tight due to us not putting the best lineup out there with right handed pitching. I think we will win the regional. It will just take our A game from our pitching. Just like if Ross had his A game on Thursday we win the game 4-1 against Kentucky.

HancockCountyDog
05-26-2014, 06:51 PM
My prediction is a Washington Mississippi State Super Regional. Who would host then?

Technically they would be the higher ranked 2 seed, but I think we would get the host.

I'm calling it now, we win the ULL regional, and we will be hosting the following week. The bears will play choke baseball and won't make it out of their regional.

curmudgeon
05-26-2014, 06:54 PM
RPI and rankings mean nothing when two non-1 seeds are paired in a Super. Goes to a bidding war, which we could beat anyone in the nation at.

See: Clemson at MSU, 2007. Clemson was the higher RPI, better record, and didn't have crappy facilities like Washington.

Statefan
05-26-2014, 10:43 PM
If we end up going to Washington -- redneck yacht club?

http://bwsailing.com/cc/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/husky-stadium.jpg

preachermatt83
05-26-2014, 10:59 PM

friend, this is one instance when I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong... I just watch a ULL team that can spank the ball all over the field. Their record against SEC schools this year(LSU and BAMA) is 3-1. Again, I hope you are right but I just can't see us staying on the field with them. Our only hope is in one player.... ROSS MITCHELL... Im not sure them or anyone else is gonna hit him consistently.

Dawg61
05-26-2014, 11:05 PM
If we end up going to Washington -- redneck yacht club?

http://bwsailing.com/cc/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/husky-stadium.jpg

How long does it take to get a pontoon boat from the Gulf to wherever da fuk that stadium is? Anyone got Christopher Columbus's cell #?

TheRef
05-26-2014, 11:12 PM
How long does it take to get a pontoon boat from the Gulf to wherever da fuk that stadium is? Anyone got Christopher Columbus's cell #?

Approximately 6,400 miles through the Panama Canal. Assuming about a 5 mph pace on your boat.....it's a long time. It'll be easier to just drive your pontoon there.

Coach34
05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
We are going to burn down Lafayette. Rape their women and march to Oxford.

Just leave Prejean's intact...great food

blacklistedbully
05-27-2014, 07:59 AM
We are either not as good as we hoped, or we are just really capable of playing like crap, despite being very good. That is what the team has shown us this year. Either one of those cases can bite us in the ass versus any team we play, period. We did not play very well in our loss to UK, a game we clearly wanted to win. We made mistakes, more than one, that cost us the game, and are the kinds of mistakes that could cost us versus anybody we face in a regional.

None of this is to say I think we will lose. In fact, I think we will win if we manage to pitch lights-out and scrape together enough runs. If every team plays (and manages) their best, I think we win the regional. So, I'll cheer hard for our boys and pray we don't manage to step on our own dicks.

smootness
05-27-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't think anyone doubts that we can absolutely win the regional, and I don't think anyone seriously doubts that we could come out flat and lose a couple of games pretty quickly. I think it's more likely we win the regional than we lose to SDSU, but they are both definitely possibilities.

It's just going to come down to how well we pitch and how well we can string together some good ABs.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 09:27 AM
San Diego State was 17-13 in the 9th best conference, RPI of 36, 10-6 against the top 50. They would have made the NCAA without the autobid.

The 10-6 RPI is VERY misleading 6 of the wins came against the same team UNLV who they went 6-3 against this season. Also 2 other top 50 wins were against a 28-27 West Va team.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Boom. SouthMs gets it.

SouthMsDawg
05-27-2014, 09:58 AM
People keep talking about how many HRs they have hit, how many have our pitchers given up???? NOT MANY

ULL has given up a lot of runs as well against Sun Belt teams and have a Team ERA of 3.43 which doesn't wow me. They have a good hitting team, but they haven't seen SEC pitching for 35 games like we have this season.

MarketingBully01
05-27-2014, 10:12 AM
People keep talking about how many HRs they have hit, how many have our pitchers given up???? NOT MANY

ULL has given up a lot of runs as well against Sun Belt teams and have a Team ERA of 3.43 which doesn't wow me. They have a good hitting team, but they haven't seen SEC pitching for 35 games like we have this season.

Very true. IMO, they need to readjust the RPI because of this for baseball. You may play a team with a good RPI like you said 6 times and it counts the same thus inflating said RPI. I think we are much better then our RPI indicates. Wish we would have won the games out of conference and the close games when we needed to in conference (LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, and A&M). Our season could have been much different and we could have been knocking on the door of a national seed. Oh well, let's beat the Cajuns and host ourselves a Super over Washington. I am thinking Washington makes it out of Oxford. Thinking Ole Miss will pull an Ole Miss.

curmudgeon
05-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Marketing is coming around.

We are better than #30.
San Diego State is worse than #36.

That's reflected in the polls, where we are as high as #16 and SDSU is not receiving votes.