PDA

View Full Version : FYI...free PerfectGame chat going on now (link)

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8420

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
From the chat...

2:53
Comment From Ron Polk
Kendall, what does Mississippi State have to do against South Carolina to host?
2:54

Kendall Rogers: Ron,
Need to win the South Carolina series and get on a roll in the SEC tournament. The overall resume is there, but I still think that conference record needs to get better. For the record, wins in the SEC tournament count as "conference" wins ... so that's important for State moving forward.

By the way, whichever one of you asked that...nice job with the name.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
I am completely pissed about the way this is shaping up right now. Someone tell me why I shouldn't be based on the following...

Rogers keeps harping on the fact that Arkansas could have 19 SEC wins after this weekend, and says "they would have to be a lock with that record in the SEC". Yet, he doesn't mention that 4 of those wins came against Georgia and Tennessee at the bottom of the league.

Then, he says "MSU needs more conference wins", but he leaves off that we didn't get to play Georgia, Tennessee, OR Mizzou. How is it fair to make any judgements for host sites based on SEC records when the schedules are so different?

Even if you just gave them Vandy instead of Georgia, and gave us Georgia instead of Vandy....we could immediately be at least 16-11, and they would be at least 15-11. At that point our résumé kills theirs in every way and we are a lock. But bc we had a schedule that we couldn't control, we lose out on a host spot potentially?

Now I know we could have, and can, still win the games necessary to host...but it's still unfair to give Arkansas an advantage over us based on a weaker schedule. Am I wrong here?

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 04:03 PM
He's just excited because Ole Miss beat us two out of three.

Normally, with a balanced SEC schedule, he would be right. BUT it's not. You're talking RPI 10 vs. RPI 44. If we win our series against South Carolina, we will have a 16-14 record and a winning record despite having one of, if not the most difficult SEC schedule.

I think Arkansas might get the traditional "midwest" regional.

I think at this point, it's more like it's between MSU and South Carolina than it is between MSU and Arkansas.

If Arkansas hosts, they might set a record for having the lowest RPI and hosting.

One thing about the committee, I don't think they have ever just looked at the conferences as a whole, and I believe that they always have looked at each series individually. That bodes well in our favor. He says we need more SEC wins- well, thank God we won the Governor's Cup. Not only that, but our wins over South Alabama on the road, and also over Austin Peay will help us out as well.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Todd, check this out...

Comment From slow curve
How important is conference record in leagues with unbalanced schedules. People hold Miss. State's conf. record against them in hosting discussions, but they didn't play any of the SEC's 3 weeakest teams (Ga., Tenn., Mizzou). They are tied with LSU for most wins against the Western division (11), though LSU has a series left. Unless Ole Miss sweeps at LSU (won't happen), MSU will finish second to LSU in Western Division games. Ark. overall SEC record is better because they played Tenn. and Ga. (4-1 record against them) and missed Vandy and Florida.
3:56

Kendall Rogers: Slow curve,
That's a great point on Mississippi State and its SEC record, but is it something the NCAA committee will notice and take into account? That's the big question. I think it's something that SHOULD be taken in account, but it shouldn't be assumed the committee will be well-educated on how schedules setup. I know it's something that John Cohen isn't real pleased about.

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I'm sure a committee member isn't going to be sitting there looking at our resume and Arkansas's and not wonder why our RPI is like 34 points higher than theirs?

Seems to me like he is crawfishing there a little bit.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'm sure a committee member isn't going to be sitting there looking at our resume and Arkansas's and not wonder why our RPI is like 34 points higher than theirs?

Seems to me like he is crawfishing there a little bit.

Yep, his response made me think he didn't realize the major imbalance of schedules either, but he tried to ease his way out of it.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Bs. We win 3 of 4 this weekend, we are top 10 rpi and 40 wins with the toughest sec schedule.

No way we get a screw job if we get to 40.

Ronny
05-13-2013, 04:40 PM
From the chat...

2:53
Comment From Ron Polk
Kendall, what does Mississippi State have to do against South Carolina to host?
2:54

Kendall Rogers: Ron,
Need to win the South Carolina series and get on a roll in the SEC tournament. The overall resume is there, but I still think that conference record needs to get better. For the record, wins in the SEC tournament count as "conference" wins ... so that's important for State moving forward.

By the way, whichever one of you asked that...nice job with the name.

1st comment: They keep saying on sixpack what you do in the SECT has no bearing on gaining hosting status. Glad to see Rogers shot down that ignorant train of thought.

2nd comment: I don't care what Rogers says: If MSU wins 2 out of 3 from USCe, MSU will host (due to our sky high RPI, no "getting on a roll in the SECT" will be necessary).

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 08:03 PM
1st comment: They keep saying on sixpack what you do in the SECT has no bearing on gaining hosting status. Glad to see Rogers shot down that ignorant train of thought.

2nd comment: I don't care what Rogers says: If MSU wins 2 out of 3 from USCe, MSU will host (due to our sky high RPI, no "getting on a roll in the SECT" will be necessary).

They are saying that because before this year, the SEC Tournament didn't have any bearing on the NCAA tournament.

However, after we won the thing and got quite frankly screwed over, that has changed things.

RTO Dawg
05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Bs. We win 3 of 4 this weekend, we are top 10 rpi and 40 wins with the toughest sec schedule.

No way we get a screw job if we get to 40.

+1