PDA

View Full Version : Map of Regional Possibilities

Quaoarsking
05-25-2014, 10:25 PM
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=16hUjCv1Z0viMhI6_EooJYaMHYorxkiKi XH5JfvCR#map:id=3

I put together this map of the 16 host sites and 19 potential 2 seeds so we can look at the geographic possibilities.

A few observations:

We're definitely not getting a Western site. There's only 2 sites out there and probably 4 or 5 2-seeds.
Liberty looks like a lock for Virginia.
I bet Maryland and Kentucky are the 2s at Indiana and Louisville. Possibly Indiana State gets one of those, although they'll probably be a 3.
Oklahoma State will probably get either Nebraska or Arkansas, or Dallas Baptist if they get a 2.
The committee could keep it very simple and send Houston to Rice and Dallas Baptist (who might be a 3) to TCU. Houston could go to TCU, and Texas or Texas Tech could win up at Rice. Either way, it would be very easy for the Texas regionals to also get Texas 2-seeds.
There are 3 hosts in Florida and no 2-seeds. It seems logical that Georgia Tech, Alabama, and MSU could be the 3 2-seeds there, especially if LSU and UL-Lafayette get overflow Texas teams. They could also send Georgia Tech to SC, Ole Miss, or Vandy and give Florida a leftover Western team.
This is all just speculation, and the committee could just do something crazy. But I think it's pretty safe to say we won't be getting Cal Poly, Oregon State, or Virginia. After that, Oklahoma State, Indiana, and Louisville all have much more obvious choices for their 2 seeds, and TCU and Rice have several much closer 2-seeds to pick from. Because of the lack of 2-seeds close to any of the Florida sites, I think it's likely that we and Alabama get sent to Florida State and Miami. My prediction is Miami, hopefully with a relatively weak 3-seed.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2014, 10:28 PM
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=16hUjCv1Z0viMhI6_EooJYaMHYorxkiKi XH5JfvCR#map:id=3

I put together this map of the 16 host sites and 19 potential 2 seeds so we can look at the geographic possibilities.

A few observations:

We're definitely not getting a Western site. There's only 2 sites out there and probably 4 or 5 2-seeds.
Liberty looks like a lock for Virginia.
I bet Maryland and Kentucky are the 2s at Indiana and Louisville. Possibly Indiana State gets one of those, although they'll probably be a 3.
Oklahoma State will probably get either Nebraska or Arkansas, or Dallas Baptist if they get a 2.
The committee could keep it very simple and send Houston to Rice and Dallas Baptist (who might be a 3) to TCU. Houston could go to TCU, and Texas or Texas Tech could win up at Rice. Either way, it would be very easy for the Texas regionals to also get Texas 2-seeds.
There are 3 hosts in Florida and no 2-seeds. It seems logical that Georgia Tech, Alabama, and MSU could be the 3 2-seeds there, especially if LSU and UL-Lafayette get overflow Texas teams. They could also send Georgia Tech to SC, Ole Miss, or Vandy and give Florida a leftover Western team.
This is all just speculation, and the committee could just do something crazy. But I think it's pretty safe to say we won't be getting Cal Poly, Oregon State, or Virginia. After that, Oklahoma State, Indiana, and Louisville, all have much more obvious choices for their 2 seeds, and TCU and Rice have several much closer 2-seeds to pick from. Because of the lack of 2-seeds close to any of the Florida sites, I think it's likely that we and Alabama get sent to Florida State and Miami. My prediction is Miami, hopefully with a relatively weak 3-seed.

Good stuff. I agree that we go to Miami, and won't be surprised if we get a tough 3 seed. I'm seeing lots of people and projections saying we go to ULL, but I think they get a 2 seed from Texas.

messageboardsuperhero
05-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Wow, interesting breakdown.

Before looking at this, I thought we would for sure get sent to ULL. Now I could definitely see them getting those extra Texas 2 seeds.

It's pretty obvious that we'll end up at either ULL, Miami, or FSU- unless the committee decides to go away from geography. Miami will likely get paired with Florida for the supers, so that would be a tough path for us. And it would not surprise me in the least to see the committee match us up with a potential matchup with UM in the supers if they send us to Florida State or ULL.

ETA: But keep in mind, assuming UM doesn't get that last national seed, we'd have to go to a national seed ourselves if the committee decides to match us up. So basically, we likely couldn't play in the Miami or Rice regionals AND be matched up with UM at the same time.