PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question

msstate7
05-13-2013, 01:43 PM
If Dan Mullen bombs this year and we fired him, would you rather go after bobby petrino or hudspeth?

WeWillScrewItUp
05-13-2013, 01:50 PM
I would say Hudspeth. After what he has done at ULL I would love to give him a shot at State. Not sure I want to put our necks out there with a hire of Petrino either.

Coach34
05-13-2013, 02:03 PM
If Dan Mullen bombs this year and we fired him, would you rather go after bobby petrino or hudspeth?

Another hypothetical- where would we get the 7.5MM to pay Mullen off if we were to fire him after this season?

msstate7
05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Another hypothetical- where would we get the 7.5MM to pay Mullen off if we were to fire him after this season?

Chump change for us...

msstate7
05-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Chump change for us...

I'm kidding of course. I don't think he will be fired or should be. I love Mullen. BTW on the hypothetical, I'd go petrino. He's proven he can win in the west

FISHDAWG
05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
I would guess that Petrino will wait quite some time before re-entering the SEC ... when and if it happens I'm picking Kentucky to break ranks and roll the dice

msstate7
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I wonder if alive has let it be known not to hire him. If I were tenn, I would've thought seriously about going after him esp after they were turned down a couple of times. I can't stand petrino, but he is an elite college coach.

msstate7
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I wonder if alive has let it be known not to hire him. If I were tenn, I would've thought seriously about going after him esp after they were turned down a couple of times. I can't stand petrino, but he is an elite college coach.

Alive = slive

Buddy
05-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Let's say somebody swoops in and hires Dan Mullen away from us at the end of the season....

I'd take Hud over Petrino. Character matters in my book.

msstate7
05-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Let's say somebody swoops in and hires Dan Mullen away from us at the end of the season....

I like your scenario much better. After we win 10 games, so and so steals Mullen.

hailmari
05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
I take Hud, I like what I've seen from him so far and he's a MS guy. Although, Petrino would get us some publicity, I don't know if it's the kind I would want us to have. Dude is a sleeze.

Pollodawg
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Bobby Petrino. I love Hud and all for his devotion to MSU, but Petrino is a proven winner at a non SEC powerhouse program.....

gravedigger
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I would rather we fold up the entire football program in that case. It would be evident we do not have the intelligence on top

to make any coach successful and we could use the scholarships and money to make basketball and baseball what they should be.

I'm not kidding either. If he loses every game this year and we fire him, I want the football program gone, the athletic director and the president of the university.

Political Hack
05-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Petrino: A PR disaster who is a known journeyman that would bolt for the first high profile university that would have him.
Hud: A MS guru who would stay at State while winning until the Cowboys offered.

I agree the likelihood of success is higher with Petrino, but the likelihood of sustained success is higher with Hud.

msstate7
05-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Petrino: A PR disaster who is a known journeyman that would bolt for the first high profile university that would have him.
Hud: A MS guru who would stay at State while winning until the Cowboys offered.

I agree the likelihood of success is higher with Petrino, but the likelihood of sustained success is higher with Hud.

I agree about sustained success. Hud would love to have the state job. Petrino would leave us at first chance to upgrade; he would win while here though.

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Hud any and all day long.

Look at the mess he left Arkansas in.

Not to mention he would probably leave after a year and then we would probably try to get Hud anyway. Hud would clean the state out as far as recruiting. And now he has ties to Louisiana and Alabama. All we would have to do is hire someone that has some ties to Memphis and the state of Tennessee, and we would be cooking with gas as far as recruiting.

What I think I would like about Hud vs. Dan in recruiting is Hud has enough ties to get players from places like South Panola and Madison Central with better success and I also think he would place a little more value on the "football player" type guys- you know, guys like Cam Lawrence that aren't blue chips, but they aren't the most athletic either but they make smart plays and work hard and overachieve. Dan seems to like the blue chips and the raw athletes more- which is not bad at all. I would just like to see 3-5 blue collar guys brought in.

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
I agree about sustained success. Hud would love to have the state job. Petrino would leave us at first chance to upgrade; he would win while here though.

I think Dak would be a much bigger misfit for Petrino's offense than Tyler is to Dan's. Petrino wants a Ryan Mallet that can throw the ball 80 yards downfield. Not to mention, I don't think he would let Dak use his legs as much. We would probably have to go after a JUCO QB.

To me, Petrino's offense is more pro-style than spread, even though he calls it a spread. It looks like Air Coryell to me with the WR's split out 5-10 yards wider.

Homedawg
05-13-2013, 08:41 PM

Maybe character matters. And I'm not saying that its the same as the petrino deal but HUD has a skeleton or two at least in some peoples eyes. I'll leave it at that.

msstate7
05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Maybe character matters. And I'm not saying that its the same as the petrino deal but HUD has a skeleton or two at least in some peoples eyes. I'll leave it at that.

I've heard much of the same

Coach34
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Hud has more of a skull and maybe an arm in the closet...not really a full skeleton

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 10:06 PM

Whatever Hud has in his closet, it isn't nationally known.

Petrino has been pretty much blackballed by the NFL.

msstate7
05-13-2013, 10:09 PM
I doubt he would wanna return even if he was welcomed.