PDA

View Full Version : Stratton

msstate7
05-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Will he make the show anytime soon?

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Doubt it. He's at A+ San Jose with a 2-5 record and 4.44 ERA. Cain has a hurt hammy and will miss a few starts but Stratton would have to leapfrog about 10 other guys to get his shot. Giants also have a hurt RP too but that should have no impact on Stratton.

esplanade91
05-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Doubt it. He's at A+ San Jose with a 2-5 record and 4.44 ERA. Cain has a hurt hammy and will miss a few starts but Stratton would have to leapfrog about 10 other guys to get his shot. Giants also have a hurt RP too but that should have no impact on Stratton.
Gees. That seems like a drastic difference in the last bunch of stats of his I saw.

KB21
05-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Gees. That seems like a drastic difference in the last bunch of stats of his I saw.

Eh, not paying attention to the right stats. The peripherals are pretty good. Almost 9 K/9 on the year. Only walks about 2.5 betters per 9. Oppositional BABIP is around .290, which is about average but is better than in previous years. He's the benefactor of bad luck, as his home run rate has almost doubled this year.

DawgSaint
05-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Stratton is a great guy... Hope he can turn it around soon and make the big leagues!

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Eh, not paying attention to the right stats. The peripherals are pretty good. Almost 9 K/9 on the year. Only walks about 2.5 betters per 9. Oppositional BABIP is around .290, which is about average but is better than in previous years. He's the benefactor of bad luck, as his home run rate has almost doubled this year.

I'm rooting hard for Stratton. Giants are in no rush with him though. Maybe he can get the call in September and help them in the postseason. That'd be awesome!!

esplanade91
05-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah I researched him after reading that on here. I'm guessing W-L is not very important in evaluating a minor league pitcher either.

He went 7 the other nights and had 1 ER. Had a healthy dose of K's. From all indications, Giants are still very high on him.

KB21
05-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Yeah I researched him after reading that on here. I'm guessing W-L is not very important in evaluating a minor league pitcher either.

He went 7 the other nights and had 1 ER. Had a healthy dose of K's. From all indications, Giants are still very high on him.

Wins and losses are probably the worst stat you can use to evaluate a pitcher with ERA not too far behind that. FIP is a better stat than ERA because ERA can be effected too much by poor defensive play behind the pitcher. His FIP is at a career high this year, but his increased home run rate is the cause of this.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Guys in A ball can be difficult to evaluate, especially as a hitter. It is common for guys to do better in AA ball than A because of the type of players in A ball. As a hitter, you could see everything from Evan Mitchell to Tracy McGrady throwing to you. Knuckle ballers, 98 MPH with absolutely no control, submarine, you name it you could see it. It can be tough to succeed there.

Pitchers have it a little bit easier, but it can still be difficult to really figure them out at A ball level. Like KB 21 said, you really have to do your statistical homework to tell you what's really going on. ERA is worthless because of the types of guys playing defense for you and the type of ball park you play in because minor league stadiums are nuts. I played in a summer wood bat league this past year in a former A ball stadium. It was 430 feet to straight away center with an exposed brick wall all the way around the outfield. That's crazy and stats just don't tell you that. A double off the wall can turn into an inside the park home run on a bad bounce off an exposed brick wall.

Wins are worthless for the exact same reason. Once you get out of A ball though, you typically see more consistent pitching, better defense, more realistic stadiums, and just better overall talent. You can typically get a much better read on what a guy can really do and what he brings to the table.