PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Tyndall

Dawg61
05-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Walked into a worse situation than Ray and has signed EIGHT players in only one month. It'll be interesting to see where Tyndall's Vols stack up next to Ray's first season.

http://allfortennessee.com/2014/05/22/vols-basketball-donnie-tyndall-recruiting/

smootness
05-24-2014, 10:59 AM
First, el oh freaking el on you trying to paint Tennessee's situation as worse than State's when Ray was hired.

Second, your fascination with numbers is bordering on completely insane at this point. Who cares how many players he signed? Obviously Ray could have found 13 players if he wanted to his first year.

Dawg61
05-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I'd say Tyndall's situation is at minimal just as worse as Ray's and it's not a numbers fascination that I'm pointing out. It's that Tyndall has signed eight players in one month including a very good PG transfer who will start immediately for the Vols in Ian Chiles and we hear crickets on replacing Davis. At some point losing and lazy shitty recruiting needs to start bothering you Smootness. Where's our transfer ins? Haven't had one yet. This is the SEC. Lots and lots of players would kill to play in the SEC. We have an open spot. Crickets

Raytoraid83
05-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Ray wanted to get the Wake Forrest pg transfer to come in. He committed to vandy yesterday. The cycle continues... And yes it is fair to compare the two situations.

Quaoarsking
05-24-2014, 11:47 AM
-- People complain when Rick Ray adds Trivante Bloodman just to fill up a roster spot with a body.
-- People complain when Rick Ray doesn't add a Trivante Bloodman-type just to fill up a roster spot with a body.

Some people just have an ax to grind...

smootness
05-24-2014, 11:52 AM
-- People complain when Rick Ray adds Trivante Bloodman just to fill up a roster spot with a body.
-- People complain when Rick Ray doesn't add a Trivante Bloodman-type just to fill up a roster spot with a body.

Some people just have an ax to grind...

Thank you.

The same people who are applauding Tyndall simply for finding bodies are the first to criticize Ray when he brings in someone who can't play SEC basketball.

To suggest that Tyndall's situation is worse than Ray's is absolutely laughable. It's not even worth discussing; I'm already mad at myself for taking the bait here. But yeah, Ray's lazy, sure.

Raytoraid83
05-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Thank you.

The same people who are applauding Tyndall simply for finding bodies are the first to criticize Ray when he brings in someone who can't play SEC basketball.

To suggest that Tyndall's situation is worse than Ray's is absolutely laughable. It's not even worth discussing; I'm already mad at myself for taking the bait here. But yeah, Ray's lazy, sure.

Tyndall isn't "simply finding bodies". He's signing sec type talent players with the smallest one being 6'4....

HailState39110
05-24-2014, 11:57 AM
First, el oh freaking el on you trying to paint Tennessee's situation as worse than State's when Ray was hired..

Did you not read the article ? 2 weeks into the job Tyndall had 5 returning scholarship players and all 4 committments asked to be released from their scholarship.How is that not worse than Rays situation? Ray had the luxury of all 3 commitments sticking to their commitment ( Sword, Ware, Thomas) as well as Steele,Lewis,Smith, Roc Johnson, etc

In a few weeks he has signed a 4 star, picked up a transfer from a kid who played on the Florida Gulf Coast Sweet 16 team, and beat out Temple on a 3 star player.

Dawg61
05-24-2014, 12:16 PM
He also signed senior PG, 15.5 ppg and 2nd team All-Summit League Ian Chiles that Maryland tried to get. Get used to the comparison Smootness. Tyndall just got hired from Southern Miss. and walked into a very similar clusterfu*k as Ray did and he coaches at a peer SEC school. A school that was one spot ahead of MSU in most victories for the last 15 years at the time we fired Stansbury.

thf24
05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
What it boils down to is that Tyndall has more head coaching experience and better recruiting ties, criticisms of Ray that have already been argued and driven into the ground over the past two years. I'm not trying to make excuses for Ray, but at the same time it's not is fault that he didn't have those advantages coming in. It also helps Tyndall that Tennessee is perceived to be a more attractive program than ours (I know some of you will try to argue with that, but it's simply fact).

Comparisons aside, Tyndall has no doubt done an outstanding job picking up the pieces at Tennessee thus far.

MetEdDawg
05-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah Tennessee and MSU are pretty similar in mens basketball. The fact that we went to 9 NCAA Tournaments, 4 Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight since 2000 tells me that.....oh wait, that was Tennessee that did that. And they just got done going to a Sweet Sixteen. But by all means, keep comparing the programs together because SEC wins is all that matter.

Some of you people drive me insane with basketball. Comparing roster situations like that is the only thing that matters. Good lord people. Some of you have ZERO ability to look at an MSU situation objectively. We can all be upset things haven't gone the way we wished under Ray, but to compare Tennessee and MSU based on SEC wins and rosters and say we should be doing as well as them as they come off of a Sweet Sixteen?? That is laughable. Until some of you figure out that we weren't nearly as good as you thought we were during Stansbury's tenure and didn't have nearly the national respect you though, you will continue to be upset at what we are and were capable of doing two years ago when we hired Ray.

Dawg61
05-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Who in the SEC do we compare Ray to? Like it or not the Tyndall hiring and situation he's entering is the most similar to Ray's amongst the new hires within the SEC. Tennessee fans hated the Tyndall hire a month ago. Now they like it. Because he's already worked his ass off and brought in 8 players and atleast one transfer who will start immediately in only a month. He's not taking the suck & hustle molasses train to bettering a basketball program. Arrival time estimated at 8-10 years. He's showing an urgency to win immediately. We haven't seen that urgency from Ray yet. He's more comfy than a fat lion lying in the hot sun.

Coach34
05-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Did you not read the article ? 2 weeks into the job Tyndall had 5 returning scholarship players and all 4 committments asked to be released from their scholarship.How is that not worse than Rays situation? Ray had the luxury of all 3 commitments sticking to their commitment ( Sword, Ware, Thomas) as well as Steele,Lewis,Smith, Roc Johnson, etc

In a few weeks he has signed a 4 star, picked up a transfer from a kid who played on the Florida Gulf Coast Sweet 16 team, and beat out Temple on a 3 star player.

1. Tennessee basketball > Miss State basketball
2. Easier to recruit to Knoxville than Starkville
3. Tennessee's remaining 5 players > Wendell, Steele. Shaun Smith, Zedakis, Roq Johnson

BullDog
05-24-2014, 06:28 PM
I hope the posters of the elite dawgs web site/ forums are man enough to fess up to being immature, Basketball incompetent, lowest of life losers. The time will be soon be obvious for you to reconcile your delusion. Please, gracefully fall on your sword when we are closer to 20 wins than10 losses next year. You all suck.

BeardoMSU
05-24-2014, 07:23 PM
with the smallest one being 6'4....

This is key right here. When you play guys who have 6'4 and 6'5 1 and 2 guards out there, and we have a PG at 5'10 and a shooting guard at 6'2+, it's tough to match up with those boys; that is unless you have either 1) a very athletic wing 3 who can drive and shoot the 3, or 2) have really good inside guys who can score and dish out to shooters. We have none of those things.

And I'm not saying that is Ricks fault, but all the under 6' players we have and are recruiting can be problematic if they aren't super talented. At this point, we don't even have a Dee Bost type player on the roster.

MarketingBully01
05-24-2014, 08:10 PM
I hope the posters of the elite dawgs web site/ forums are man enough to fess up to being immature, Basketball incompetent, lowest of life losers. The time will be soon be obvious for you to reconcile your delusion. Please, gracefully fall on your sword when we are closer to 20 wins than10 losses next year. You all suck.

What the heck are you even talking about? Your post doesn't even make sense.

ScottH
05-24-2014, 08:10 PM
I really don't think I have a dog in the never ending MSU basketball Hatfield/McCoy feud but I do have perspective.

UT>MSU almost every time. They have advantages we don't. It's ok. That doesn't mean poor lil MSU. Heck we lose sight of 30th in the country can mean 10th in the SEC. Sucks but it is what it is. I know it's a helluva alot better than 1st in C-Usa.(or whatever it is now)

Did UT make a better hire? Maybe. More experienced? No doubt.

That's not Ray's fault. He was offered a high paying job in his chosen field. A chance to take care of wife and kids for a long time.

Let me see a show of hands of those that would say "no thanks" to a guaranteed 4 year 1 mil a year job in your chosen field today.

I know of one person on here not taking a pay cut other than that I don't see many, if any, hands.

If Ray doesn't work out, your problem needs to be with the system that allowed him to be hired not with him. And 9 months or less from now you should have a good idea.

MarketingBully01
05-24-2014, 08:15 PM
I really don't think I have a dog in the never ending MSU basketball Hatfield/McCoy feud but I do have perspective.

UT>MSU almost every time. They have advantages we don't. It's ok. That doesn't mean poor lil MSU. Heck we lose sight of 30th in the country can mean 10th in the SEC. Sucks but it is what it is. I know it's a helluva alot better than 1st in C-Usa.(or whatever it is now)

Did UT make a better hire? Maybe. More experienced? No doubt.

That's not Ray's fault. He was offered a high paying job in his chosen field. A chance to take care of wife and kids for a long time.

Let me see a show of hands of those that would say "no thanks" to a guaranteed 4 year 1 mil a year job in your chosen field today.

I know of one person on here not taking a pay cut other than that I don't see many, if any, hands.

If Ray doesn't work out, your problem needs to be with the system that allowed him to be hired not with him. And 9 months or less from now you should have a good idea.

No one has ever had a problem with Ray in this debate. It has always been Stricklin with this argument. But these threads have popped up it seems almost weekly.

(The below is not aimed at ScottH)

Let's chill out on the Ray debate at least until October. It always seems to clutter up the board and cause a divide in our fan base.

HailState39110
05-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Completely agree with ScottH and I known these types of threads are redundant . It's not Rays fault he was hired and I will continue to pull for him to turn this thing around .

Charlie_Sheen420
05-24-2014, 08:49 PM
I bet Tyndall has all the boosters on his side as well, which makes recruiting and getting players a lot easier. Ray still isn't getting a whole lot of love or help from the boosters that are still mad about you know who.

thf24
05-24-2014, 09:51 PM
I bet Tyndall has all the boosters on his side as well, which makes recruiting and getting players a lot easier. Ray still isn't getting a whole lot of love or help from the boosters that are still mad about you know who.

Along those lines, let's not forget that Tyndall is the second guy to come in since the ugly departure of a successful, well-liked, fairly long-tenured head coach. Ray was the first. Big difference in the level of support that's going to be granted out of the gate, no matter where or what situation you're in.

Coach34
05-24-2014, 10:05 PM

This is all day. This has become a Strick vs Boosters play and Ray is caught in the middle

Quaoarsking
05-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Along those lines, let's not forget that Tyndall is the second guy to come in since the ugly departure of a successful, well-liked, fairly long-tenured head coach. Ray was the first. Big difference in the level of support that's going to be granted out of the gate, no matter where or what situation you're in.

Unluckily for us, IF (and I am recognizing the possibility, not predicting this) Ray doesn't get it done and is fired after this year or next, the Stans squad is going to demand Stansbury be rehired, and when he's not, they won't support the next coach either. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dawg61
05-24-2014, 10:23 PM
No one has ever had a problem with Ray in this debate. It has always been Stricklin with this argument. But these threads have popped up it seems almost weekly.

(The below is not aimed at ScottH)

Let's chill out on the Ray debate at least until October. It always seems to clutter up the board and cause a divide in our fan base.

I get that you don't enjoy the fighting between posters on this subject and I don't as well but the topic shouldn't get buried away till October when our coach chooses to not sign another player by the Spring NSD deadline. That's being lazy. I point out that the new Tennessee coach was able to sign eight players in basically the same time frame offered to Ray to replace the Davis departure. Ray didn't get it done. We still sit at 12 players by choice. After choosing to not fill the allotted roster spots in both of his first two seasons and undergoing major depth issues the choice shouldn't be there anymore. Ray has lost that luxury of choice imo. His urgency is non-existent.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
05-25-2014, 01:10 AM
This is all day. This has become a Strick vs Boosters play and Ray is caught in the middle

So let's get a coach that the boosters and Stricklin likes..... Easily 50 candidates that meet both qualifications.

notsofarawaydawg
05-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Walked into a worse situation than Ray and has signed EIGHT players in only one month. It'll be interesting to see where Tyndall's Vols stack up next to Ray's first season.

http://allfortennessee.com/2014/05/22/vols-basketball-donnie-tyndall-recruiting/

I'm surprised you are still around since your coach got hired at a new school. Figured you would have already sold the house and made the move. I guess your knees are still sore from sucking his cock so many years that you just can't muster up the strength in that old body of yours to pack.

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm surprised you are still around since your coach got hired at a new school. Figured you would have already sold the house and made the move. I guess your knees are still sore from sucking his cock so many years that you just can't muster up the strength in that old body of yours to pack.

I was second in the Fire Stansbury line and the 61 has zero to do with my age Boss.

tcdog70
05-25-2014, 10:43 AM
The main difference I see is the Vol Coach just said **** you and left for greener pastures. The State coach was run off and the majority of the State Fan base liked Him.

TheDogFather
05-25-2014, 02:36 PM
1. Tennessee basketball > Miss State basketball
2. Easier to recruit to Knoxville than Starkville
3. Tennessee's remaining 5 players > Wendell, Steele. Shaun Smith, Zedakis, Roq Johnson

Stansbury didn't seem to have a problem.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Stansbury didn't seem to have a problem.

Tennessee went to 4 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight during Stansbury's career at MSU. So yeah apparently he did have a problem because Stansbury has zero Sweet Sixteens and zero Elite Eights.

Those of you still trying to compare the two situations to make yourselves feel better about Stansbury being fired and bashing Ray need to stop. You make yourself look uninformed, which in turn makes the rest of us look bad.

TheDogFather
05-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Tennessee went to 4 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight during Stansbury's career at MSU. So yeah apparently he did have a problem because Stansbury has zero Sweet Sixteens and zero Elite Eights.

Those of you still trying to compare the two situations to make yourselves feel better about Stansbury being fired and bashing Ray need to stop. You make yourself look uninformed, which in turn makes the rest of us look bad.

For you to lecture anyone on being uninformed is laughable at best. This sorry attempt at elevating yourself to some fictional level of expertise is immature.

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 03:10 PM

I've done been moved on from Stansbury. I was the day we fired him. We have a new problem now and those of Y'ALL not addressing it are just burying your heads and praying Ray is the right guy. He's not. So we are all forced to stay in the Shit Club till y'all wanna wake up and look at current reality like it is. We don't owe Ray jack shit. MSU doesn't owe Ray jack shit. That's what I feel is the biggest reason a lot of you won't admit the hire wasn't right. You feel bad for Ray. You feel like he hasn't gotten a fair shake. Nothing could be further from the truth. The man has been paid over $2.5 million dollars. He's not showing an urgency to win. He loses every recruiting battle he tries and just gives up and saves scholarships till next season till next season till next season. He hasn't brought in one single difference maker or quality transfer. He hasn't brought in ANY transfers. What college basketball coach at a Power 6 University is trying that model besides Ray? That's some NAIA bullshit right there. Give me a reason to believe in Ray. I see zero right now.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2014, 03:12 PM
For you to lecture anyone on being uninformed is laughable at best. This sorry attempt at elevating yourself to some fictional level of expertise is immature.

It's not a fictional level of expertise. It's freaking common sense. We are not as good as Tennessee right now and we were not as good as Tennessee when Stansbury was coach. Plain and simple. I would love for you to provide me some tangible evidence to the contrary, but I doubt you can. I've already provided you my evidence. 4 Sweet Sixteens and an Elite 8 for Tennessee during Stansbury's tenure. That doesn't even count the Sweet Sixteen they just went to two months ago.

But keep trying to deflect to make your argument try and hold merit. Again, it just makes the rest of us look bad when people artificially inflate what we truly are. Raises expectations to unreasonable levels and doesn't allow for objective analysis of where we truly are as a program in any sport, but in this case specifically basketball.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2014, 03:19 PM
I've done been moved on from Stansbury. I was the day we fired him. We have a new problem now and those of Y'ALL not addressing it are just burying your heads and praying Ray is the right guy. He's not. So we are all forced to stay in the Shit Club till y'all wanna wake up and look at current reality like it is. We don't owe Ray jack shit. MSU doesn't owe Ray jack shit. That's what I feel is the biggest reason a lot of you won't admit the hire wasn't right. You feel bad for Ray. You feel like he hasn't gotten a fair shake. Nothing could be further from the truth. The man has been paid over $2.5 million dollars. He's not showing an urgency to win. He loses every recruiting battle he tries and just gives up and saves scholarships till next season till next season till next season. He hasn't brought in one single difference maker or quality transfer. He hasn't brought in ANY transfers. What college basketball coach at a Power 6 University is trying that model besides Ray? That's some NAIA bullshit right there. Give me a reason to believe in Ray. I see zero right now.

I'm not in the group that says we owe Ray anything more than 100% full support from our university and boosters. But the reason Ray gets reasonable doubt is because he doesn't have that. People on here and on the other board took pride in taking away their money because their boy Stansbury got canned. But then we expect Ray to be held to same standards? Do you see how little sense that makes?

I don't claim to think Ray is going to get it done. I'm not amazingly happy with what he's done, but what the hell else should we expect from him except mediocre or less when he doesn't get the support and funds the previous coach got? He supposed to shit miracles? Money talks, especially when you are in transition. Lot of donors abandoned Ray because Stansbury got fired. So unless he's working with a full deck from a funding standpoint and a fan standpoint, why should we expect to be good? Because we think we should be good? Doesn't work that way.

I just don't like the two face going on here by some fans. They are pissed that Ray isn't doing well, but they rescind their donations to make a statement that they aren't happy we hired Ray. You give because you love your university, not because you want to incite the change YOU think we need. Just not a fan of that.

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 03:19 PM
We are not as good as Tennessee right now

If we are not as good as a team that lost eight players and returns only one player worth a crap from last year in year 3 of the Brick Ray experience Stricklin needs to be banned from the University grounds

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Ray has plenty of money in the recruiting budget to sign quality players. He might not be able to build sexy amenities right now but his recruiting isn't suffering because he can't swipe the MSU American Express right now. Don't make excuses for his less than stellar recruiting. It's unacceptable for the largest University in Mississippi. We are an SEC school. Let's act like it. We rival Jackson St. basketball right now. Unacceptable.

Charlie_Sheen420
05-25-2014, 05:54 PM
The recruiting budget and booster support are very different. Boosters play a role in recruiting for all sports at all major colleges, and until Ray gets support from boosters, he will be behind everyone else in recruiting. The boosters are the ones that make sure recruits that commit will have some money during the week to go get a burger, make sure the bills back home are paid if the parents are having trouble, and make sure parents can come to games. We all know it goes on everywhere. Boosters played a big role in helping Stans get players, I think we all know that. Right now, Ray doesn't have the support from these boosters.

Dawg61
05-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Ray & Stricklin aren't going to "play the game". Ever. So that money wouldn't be getting used if or if it's not even there. Not only are we not taking any transfers but we are also suddenly extremely strict on weed and don't show any recruits extra "love". We literally have ZERO chance to land impact players under these new guidelines.

TheDogFather
05-25-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not in the group that says we owe Ray anything more than 100% full support from our university and boosters

Why the hell does Ray deserve more than any of our other coaches get?

This is some kind of holier than thou crap.

TheDogFather
05-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Raises expectations to unreasonable levels and doesn't allow for objective analysis of where we truly are.

So we will instead lower them to make the Stansbury haters - I mean Ray supporters save face.

Sounds like a plan.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2014, 06:21 PM
So we will instead lower them to make the Stansbury haters - I mean Ray supporters save face.

Sounds like a plan.

You have no clue what you're talking about and you don't read very clearly. The whole point of that sentence was to point out that unobjective fans like you have expectations that are unrealistic. But there is no point arguing. You think I'm an idiot for saying a lot of our fans can't look at a situation objectively and that 100% support from our fans (or even something remotely close) is holier than though crap. I think you are an idiot because you fail to see the illogical nature of expecting the same thing from someone when they are clearly given less to work with than the person who he followed. We just need to agree to disagree because you are clearly a Stansbury supporter in denial about how poorly he left our program and how little support Ray gets and nothing will change your mind.

You and your little clan that think everyone who wanted Stansbury fired absolutely love Ray and will defend him to the death don't get it. That's not true and we won't do that. I want better and I am concerned that we are getting some things done in recruiting. But you don't believe it has anything to do with fewer monetary resources, smaller booster participation, and smaller fan attendance/support. Those of us who are objective and look around the country at successful programs see how the combination of all three work together to create success.

TheDogFather
05-25-2014, 06:42 PM
You have no clue what you're talking about and you don't read very clearly. The whole point of that sentence was to point out that unobjective fans like you have expectations that are unrealistic. But there is no point arguing. You think I'm an idiot for saying a lot of our fans can't look at a situation objectively and that 100% support from our fans (or even something remotely close) is holier than though crap. I think you are an idiot because you fail to see the illogical nature of expecting the same thing from someone when they are clearly given less to work with than the person who he followed. We just need to agree to disagree because you are clearly a Stansbury supporter in denial about how poorly he left our program and how little support Ray gets and nothing will change your mind.

You and your little clan that think everyone who wanted Stansbury fired absolutely love Ray and will defend him to the death don't get it. That's not true and we won't do that. I want better and I am concerned that we are getting some things done in recruiting. But you don't believe it has anything to do with fewer monetary resources, smaller booster participation, and smaller fan attendance/support. Those of us who are objective and look around the country at successful programs see how the combination of all three work together to create success.

Unobjective? I obviously don't know for sure but I can surmise from your diatribe that I have attended more basketball games with more different coaches than you've been alive to see. So as far as objectivity goes I have enough reference to continue this argument as long as you would like. If your point were so easy to prove it wouldnt require so many words.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Unobjective? I obviously don't know for sure but I can surmise from your diatribe that I have attended more basketball games with more different coaches than you've been alive to see. So as far as objectivity goes I have enough reference to continue this argument as long as you would like. If your point were so easy to prove it wouldnt require so many words.

Ok.

1) Stansbury was not as good as you think. We didn't go to one single Sweet Sixteen in 14 years and we completely missed the NCAA Tournament 5 of the last 7 years and his last 3. We are an SEC program and put up with that for his last 7 years? Travesty since we are just like Tennessee apparently.

2) Ray hasn't done as well as many had hoped and I am by no means a Ray supporter. I'm an MSU supporter. But Stansbury didn't make an NCAA Tournament until his 4th year, so unless you think Ray is a better coach than Stansbury, he should get 4 years too.

I'm done with this conversation. You may have seen more basketball than me, but my case is pretty strong because you still haven't provided evidence how us and Tennessee are similar programs.

TheDogFather
05-25-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm done with this conversation.

$10 says you came back to see if there was a response.