PDA

View Full Version : Baseball 101- keep the double play in order

tcdog70
05-23-2014, 02:46 PM
I know We have outfielders with very good arms. I know sometimes a player can fall in love with His Arm. The play last night by Cody was a very poor decision. The correct play was to throw the ball to 2nd base and keep the batter on First, thus keeping the double play in order. Instead Cody guns the ball to 3td and allows the hitter to advance to 2nd . The next hitter grounds sharply to the SS who's only play is to first, the runs scores. If the Cody keeps the double play in order maybe We could have turned two and not given up the run. Oh well!

maroonmania
05-23-2014, 03:36 PM
There are no Hunter Renfroe arms in our OF this year and I believe Vickerson has the only OF assist for an out at Home Plate all year. I agree, we need to play smart in the OF and not let runners advance trying to get outs we have little to no chance to get.

smootness
05-23-2014, 04:45 PM
I agree that the smart play, and the right play based on the chances, was to go to 2nd.

That said, throwing to 3rd there wasn't hopeless. With a good throw, we definitely could have had a play there.

tcdog70
05-23-2014, 10:37 PM
I agree that the smart play, and the right play based on the chances, was to go to 2nd.

That said, throwing to 3rd there wasn't hopeless. With a good throw, we definitely could have had a play there.

Smoot, he bobbled the ball, at that point it was hopeless.