PDA

View Full Version : Moot point now - but Cody Brown should have been safe...

RougeDawg
05-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Did anyone notice that he never got a secondary lead and was standing flat footed until the ball was actually past the pitchers mound? They're supposed to be taught to take 3-4 steps toward home, with your last step being times when the catcher would catch the ball, with your right foot, to keep eyes on field and be able to push back to bag if catcher catches ball. Cody was standing flat footed, at the normal lead off distance from 3rd when Armstrong hits the ball, and doesn't start moving until ball is past mound. Had he gotten secondary lead and read down angle off the bat, he scores easily and we are watching today's games from the stands. Just another base running blunder that cost is a W.

ETA I know Cody and know he is very coachable so I would think he will learn from it and move on. He's still a RS freshman and it's better him have that brain fart in that situation and learn from it, opposed to the championship series in Omaha one day.

tcdog70
05-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Exactly--Shitty base running. No way he should have been thrown out. He should have been halfway home when the ball went over the mound. I really wanted a safety squeeze.

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 11:27 AM
We had so many chances to win that game last night. Another thing, if we start the lineup from the night before when we got 12 runs against USC's ace we blow them out. When a team starts a right hander, they will always have a chance against us because our left handed lineup is weaker then our right handed one.

Joe Schmedlap
05-23-2014, 11:52 AM
I don't mean to pile on, but to be a supposedly elite or pseudo elite college baseball program, we brain fart on the base paths quite frequently. This has been going on for a few years, too. It boggles the mind to see guys who are good enough to compete in the SEC run the bases like little leaguers. Oh well, today is another day.

smootness
05-23-2014, 12:08 PM
I don't mean to pile on, but to be a supposedly elite or pseudo elite college baseball program, we brain fart on the base paths quite frequently. This has been going on for a few years, too. It boggles the mind to see guys who are good enough to compete in the SEC run the bases like little leaguers. Oh well, today is another day.

A lot of this is just the nature of college baseball. I guarantee that if you watch every game of a program you consider to be elite, you'll find a lot of the same things. I think sometimes we picture certain programs in a certain light because we don't see them play much so we just assume they are playing phenomenal baseball and doing everything right while we actually watch State games and are drawn to the mistakes.

We are either an elite program or are becoming one, regardless of what people think about our lineup, our baserunning, etc. We had a disappointing year and won 18 SEC games.

KB21
05-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Did anyone notice that he never got a secondary lead and was standing flat footed until the ball was actually past the pitchers mound? They're supposed to be taught to take 3-4 steps toward home, with your last step being times when the catcher would catch the ball, with your right foot, to keep eyes on field and be able to push back to bag if catcher catches ball. Cody was standing flat footed, at the normal lead off distance from 3rd when Armstrong hits the ball, and doesn't start moving until ball is past mound. Had he gotten secondary lead and read down angle off the bat, he scores easily and we are watching today's games from the stands. Just another base running blunder that cost is a W.

ETA I know Cody and know he is very coachable so I would think he will learn from it and move on. He's still a RS freshman and it's better him have that brain fart in that situation and learn from it, opposed to the championship series in Omaha one day.

You see these types of mistakes with every team if you watch enough baseball. For the most part, this is a good base running team, and the team overall has an aggressive mindset on the basepaths. Sometimes when you are aggressive, you will run into some outs that will earn you some criticism. I didn't see the play in question here, and by the description, this isn't the typical aggressive mindset this team displays. I've had times where I have questioned what Mingione has decided to do at third base, and I wonder if he told Cody to freeze on the play to prevent the pitcher from throwing behind him if he takes a larger lead down the third baseline.

My biggest criticism is how the line up gets set from a game to game basis. I am a big believer that you put your on base guy in the leadoff spot and your slugger in the 4 spot. Brett Pirtle should be leading off, IMO, with Gavin Collins batting 4th every game. I would then have Seth Heck hitting 2nd, CT Bradford 3rd, and Alex Detz/Derrick Armstrong 5th/6th. Jake Vickerson absolutely should not hit 2nd. Think about this. Matthew Britton, who has drawn a lot of critism for his hitting has a higher SLG% and essentially the same OB% as Jake Vickerson at this point.

WPDawg
05-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Are you Joe Morgan?

ClancyDawg
05-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Are you Joe Morgan?

Joe Morgan is an idiot. Rouge is not an idiot. Therefore, Rouge is not Joe Morgan.

smootness
05-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Joe Morgan is an idiot. Rouge is not an idiot. Therefore, Rouge is not Joe Morgan.

I agree with 50% of your statement.