PDA

View Full Version : Today's Game--don't forget

MsStateBaseball
05-23-2014, 08:41 AM
It is not necessary to win today. Bigger prize awaits next week. Collins shouldn't even play today. He has caught 3 days straight. We don't care about this game. We do not want to get worn out. You should see all the young pitchers today. If we don't hit their pitching we will lose. No big deal. Rest up for next week. You will thank me when you are in Omaha.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2014, 08:58 AM
It is not necessary to win today. Bigger prize awaits next week. Collins shouldn't even play today. He has caught 3 days straight. We don't care about this game. We do not want to get worn out. You should see all the young pitchers today. If we don't hit their pitching we will lose. No big deal. Rest up for next week. You will thank me when you are in Omaha.

ridiculous mindset.

MsStateBaseball
05-23-2014, 09:06 AM
I know some people don't get it. I understand.

ClancyDawg
05-23-2014, 09:11 AM
I agree Collins shouldn't play

State82
05-23-2014, 09:16 AM
The big picture is better served with our guys kicked back and chillin' in some A/C for a couple of days starting late this afternoon. Get back to work Monday evening sometime. I won't argue with a win today mainly because it is UF, but no need to extend anyone. Collins definitely needs a break along with the primary members of the pitching staff. It's just not a big deal at this point. Much bigger fish to fry coming up.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2014, 09:18 AM
you guys realize Collins is 19 years old and the regionals don't start for a week right?

Saltydog
05-23-2014, 09:18 AM
a two seed and that's prolly true even if we win the whole thing this weekned but going to Omaha is another story. As much as I'd like to see that, ain't happening. Too many shortcomings on this team.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-23-2014, 09:21 AM
The big picture is better served with our guys kicked back and chillin' in some A/C for a couple of days starting late this afternoon. Get back to work Monday evening sometime. I won't argue with a win today mainly because it is UF, but no need to extend anyone. Collins definitely needs a break along with the primary members of the pitching staff. It's just not a big deal at this point. Much bigger fish to fry coming up.

No reason to risks injuries to key players.

Vandownbytheriver
05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Didn't folks try to say this exact thing when Ole Miss lost? So now that we lost it's perfectly acceptable?

starkvegasdawg
05-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Although I want our team to play to win every time out I got no problem with this. Whether we lose today or win the entire tournament we are a two seed some where. Nothing we can do in this tournament can affect that. I am not as worried about our position players (except maybe catcher) being tired but we need our pitching staff to be well rested and ready to go. No need to burn arms in games that have no effect on our future post season plans. Also, if anybody on the team is just the least but injured or banged up then rest them. No different than a MLB team pulling all the starters the last week of the season when they have the division wrapped up and can't improve their position any.

drunkernhelldawg
05-23-2014, 09:31 AM
It's okay to lose only if you are playing to win. Giving the game away or not caring about it is acceptable for fans only. Of course, players should not be extended to the extent that injury or worse (Thigpen) is risked. But the upcoming regionals should have nothing to do with our plan for the game today.

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Yep, tell that to all of our great fans who travel and will cheer for MSU today. I don't get this philosophy. The regionals don't start until a week from today. There is plenty of time to rest. Put your best foot forward, compete, and let the chips fall where they may. This type of attitude hurts fans more then anything. It's the same reasoning behind some of the Gentry/Brown decisions we had last night that lost us the game.

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 09:55 AM

Also, this was the same philosophy that Coach Calipari had until he started to coach at Kentucky and saw all the fans show up at that tournament. He then realized what it meant to those fans to win the tournament. We have that type of following in baseball and we travel really well to Hoover. To take this type of attitude and not even put our best guys out there IMO let's our fans down.

Covercorner2
05-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Ole Miss had something to play for (Host, National Seed, etc.). State was gonna be a 2 seed regardless of what happened this weekend. There's a difference. Plus that was before Ole Miss dropped a game. Once you lose one game with this new format, there is definitely some consideration of effort vs. reward... especially if there isnt much of a reward for extending your players.

Goat Holder
05-23-2014, 10:09 AM
You're such a damned idiot.

One, that "worn out" is nothing but a cop-out excuse to our shallow minded fans because all they can remember is 2012 when we won it all and flamed out in the regional. Regionals are played like 5 days after the SECT Ch'ip game. Team wasn't "worn out". They were young and blew their load in Hoover rather than Tallahassee, something young teams tend to do. We don't have a young team this year. End of story.

Two, tell all our fans not to show up today if these games don't matter.

F*cking retard.

fishwater99
05-23-2014, 10:11 AM
I agree, let the young guys play today. We need to rest up, you could imagine they are pretty tired today.
I would like to see Tatum pitch a few innings.

CadaverDawg
05-23-2014, 10:16 AM
You never take a "who cares" attitude into a game like this....you play to win. Just be careful about what arms you use, but NEVER just throw in the towel. I would like to see the guys we feel will push for starting pitching roles next year. I wish we'd start Woody, then go Hudson, Tatum, Sexton, etc.

Gentry should be done for the year unless we're up 8 runs+ after 8 innings. Brown should be done for the year regardless, he could blow an 8 run lead in the 9th.

The only pitchers that should pitch again after the SECT, are...

Ross
Fitts
Laster
Lindgren
Holder
Bracewell
Maybe Tatum in matchup spot after last night
Woody if we are forced to stretch it

BulldogBear
05-23-2014, 10:44 AM
I want to win. Every game. Whatever it takes.

But if we lose the silver lining is getting rested for next week and I'm okay with THAT, not the loss.

That's a better way to say it rather than just all but saying we want to lose!

EdDawg
05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Bracewell could pitch to a few batters here and there in the regionals, but he has shown that after a few batters he lacks consistency. Not the person I really want to rely on in the regionals or further.

Coach34
05-23-2014, 12:11 PM
You don't want to wear your pitching staff out before a Regional. I'll remind everyone that the year we won the SEC Tourney is the only season of the last 3 we didn't make it to a Super

Goat Holder
05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
You don't want to wear your pitching staff out before a Regional. I'll remind everyone that the year we won the SEC Tourney is the only season of the last 3 we didn't make it to a Super

That was more due to the youth of that team IMO than our players getting worn out. They won the SEC and blew their load.

Winning the SECT didn't hurt LSU last year, or Florida in 2011.

preachermatt83
05-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I have to say that people with this view point do not knw what kind of competitive heart it takes to be a champion. YOU GO ALL OUT TO WIN EVERY GAME!! LOSING IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

Radddawg
05-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Collins shouldn't even play today. He has caught 3 days straight.

Collins went 4-5 last night with an RBI and a walk. You don't take a kid out of the lineup that's seeing the ball like that. I get not starting him behind the plate but if so Cohen has to start him at DH

BulldogBear
05-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I have to say that people with this view point do not knw what kind of competitive heart it takes to be a champion. YOU GO ALL OUT TO WIN EVERY GAME!! LOSING IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

+1000000000000000000

Why preach "one game at a time" and in the same sentence say it's better to lose "today" so we can win "tomorrow." A ridiculously important person once said for us to let tomorrow worry about itself. He wasn't speaking about sports but the principle is applicable.

LC Dawg
05-23-2014, 03:29 PM
It doesn't really matter what we think because I guarantee you Cohen doesn't want to lose to O'Sullivan. I don't think he'll take risks with our pitchers but I also don't think he'll compromise our chances to win just because it's not an extremely important game in the overall scheme of things. I also think if Cohen sees our players giving what he thinks is less than 100 percent effort he'll go off on them.

BLC
05-23-2014, 06:34 PM
you guys realize Collins is 19 years old and the regionals don't start for a week right?

18 years old ...

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 06:36 PM

It also couldn't have anything to do with being matched up with a HR hitting team in a home run hitting park in Samford at Florida State. No that couldn't be the reason at all...