PDA

View Full Version : Preston/gentry

msstate7
05-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Surely they've proven they can't be trusted in close games. I'd like to see sexton again and more of Tatum

ClancyDawg
05-23-2014, 01:35 AM
Tatum for sure, and don't call me Shirley.

Todd4State
05-23-2014, 01:38 AM
We almost don't have a choice at this point.

Preston I don't think is healthy. I'm not going to bash him too much.

Gentry pitched really well last night. He's just not consistent yet. Some of that I think is from him learning the submarine mechanics and trying to refine that. Some of it tonight was learning how to pitch on back to back days which I don't think has done until tonight and if he has done that this year, he hasn't done it in awhile. Some of it was expecting a guy to bunt and he throws a cookie and it gets smoked for a double. I do think that he is going to be really good for us as a junior and senior- think about Caleb Reed and how he was as a freshman and a sophomore and I would say Gentry is ahead of where he was at this time in their development.

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 02:27 AM
We almost don't have a choice at this point.

Preston I don't think is healthy. I'm not going to bash him too much.

Gentry pitched really well last night. He's just not consistent yet. Some of that I think is from him learning the submarine mechanics and trying to refine that. Some of it tonight was learning how to pitch on back to back days which I don't think has done until tonight and if he has done that this year, he hasn't done it in awhile. Some of it was expecting a guy to bunt and he throws a cookie and it gets smoked for a double. I do think that he is going to be really good for us as a junior and senior- think about Caleb Reed and how he was as a freshman and a sophomore and I would say Gentry is ahead of where he was at this time in their development.

We start Holder in the 8th, Holder pitches two innings and we win in regulation. Starting Gentry in the eighth, we lose and Holder pitches 4 innings. In hindsight, what makes most sense? I was at the game and I thought to myself why are we going this route? Why not bring in Holder and he would only pitch two innings.

Bringing in Brown in the last inning told me Cohen/Thompson conceded the game. If Brown is hurt, shelf him get him his surgery he needs and get him ready for next year when we will need him more.

Todd, to a certain degree I do get your point but isn't 2 innings better then 4 innings for Holder? Why go to pitchers that have consistently let us down and not pitched well this year. Those guys are our future but we have guys that we depend on now. I would think that pitching Brown (while injured) and Gentry tonight and failing would not build confidence and would set them back some. Those decisions did lead to us losing the game.

maroonmania
05-23-2014, 08:13 AM
We start Holder in the 8th, Holder pitches two innings and we win in regulation. Starting Gentry in the eighth, we lose and Holder pitches 4 innings. In hindsight, what makes most sense? I was at the game and I thought to myself why are we going this route? Why not bring in Holder and he would only pitch two innings.

Bringing in Brown in the last inning told me Cohen/Thompson conceded the game. If Brown is hurt, shelf him get him his surgery he needs and get him ready for next year when we will need him more.

Todd, to a certain degree I do get your point but isn't 2 innings better then 4 innings for Holder? Why go to pitchers that have consistently let us down and not pitched well this year. Those guys are our future but we have guys that we depend on now. I would think that pitching Brown (while injured) and Gentry tonight and failing would not build confidence and would set them back some. Those decisions did lead to us losing the game.

Bingo, Cohen made a HUGE F'up not bringing Holder in to START the 8th. I thought he brought Gentry in because he wasn't going to pitch Holder at all BUT then he turned around and brought him in and pitched him FOUR freaking innings. Sometimes Cohen does things that make no sense. I have ZERO trust in Gentry to nail down a close game.