PDA

View Full Version : SEC Tourney from here in

messageboardsuperhero
05-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Well, this game left a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day, we really have nothing to gain by doing well in Hoover at this point, but this was a game we should have won several different times. Oh well.

We should just focus on the regional from here on in. I'd pitch a bunch of freshmen tomorrow, and that's all I'd throw- regardless of whether or not Florida run rules us. Those guys need Hoover experience anyway, and Hudson/Sexton/Tatum/Houston are the future or our pitching staff. Save the veterans for next weekend when the games really count.

Losing games/momentum always makes me sick to my stomach, but we got smoked by Vandy last year going into regional play and that turned out okay for us. Let's pick up the pieces and try to turn it on just like last season.

Todd4State
05-23-2014, 01:19 AM
I can understand the disappointment with losing and the questioning of the management of the pitching staff from people. But people need to understand that the decisions that were made tonight were totally tournament format driven.

We could either go all in and pitch the hell out of Lindgren and Holder and win the SEC Tournament- or we can have them in good shape for the regionals and hopefully beyond. Heck, I hated having to pitch Luke Laster 120 the other day.

Winning the SEC Tournament is fun- but all it's good for is a t-shirt.

CJDAWG85
05-23-2014, 01:43 AM
16 hits.... 16 singles...

Singles are good... But you have to mix in a few extra base hits in there to do some damage. That was the difference in the last 2 nights.

Todd4State
05-23-2014, 01:58 AM

Singles are good... But you have to mix in a few extra base hits in there to do some damage. That was the difference in the last 2 nights.

And that's the difference that having power makes. It's a lot easier to do a lot of damage with one hit as opposed to having to string together lots of hits in a row. 6 runs is really not bad- but it's tough to do that consistently with singles.

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 02:32 AM
I can understand the disappointment with losing and the questioning of the management of the pitching staff from people. But people need to understand that the decisions that were made tonight were totally tournament format driven.

We could either go all in and pitch the hell out of Lindgren and Holder and win the SEC Tournament- or we can have them in good shape for the regionals and hopefully beyond. Heck, I hated having to pitch Luke Laster 120 the other day.

It's moot if you just start Holder in the eigth and pitch him two innings. The kid could go 2 innings.

dawgs
05-23-2014, 03:36 AM
And that's the difference that having power makes. It's a lot easier to do a lot of damage with one hit as opposed to having to string together lots of hits in a row. 6 runs is really not bad- but it's tough to do that consistently with singles.

Yep. That's why slugging has a much higher correlation with runs scored than on base percentage. Both are good. Slugging is better.

deltadawg99
05-23-2014, 08:27 AM
We hit the ball well last night, but in order to make a post season run we will need some extra base hits.

It was a fun game to watch, but we just couldn't finish them off.

drunkernhelldawg
05-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Don't like the idea of giving up. Play to win and let the chips fall wherever they fall.

messageboardsuperhero
05-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Don't like the idea of giving up. Play to win and let the chips fall wherever they fall.

I'm not saying we should just give up- I'm saying we shouldn't put our veteran arms in jeopardy right before a regional.

We can try to win, but also realize that there are much bigger goals right around the corner.

BulldogBear
05-23-2014, 10:36 AM

No doubt. Man, that's a freakish stat.

maroonmania
05-23-2014, 03:59 PM

My only issue with Cohen's pitcher management last night was that we WERE willing to pitch the hell out of Holder last night apparently but we waited too late to do it. We ended up pitching him four innings when if we had put him in to start the 8th while we had the one run lead he could have potentially finished the game off with 6 outs. He would have then pitched less AND we would have gotten today off. By waiting until KY had 2 men in scoring position with nobody out before bringing him in there was almost no way KY wasn't going to at least tie the game (which they did) before Holder could get them out. Gentry is just not a guy right now that can be trusted in any way to close out a close game. And yes Holder could have closed it out in the 9th anyway after we scored in the top of the 9th and he WOULD have done so if we had played standard defense on Reed. Our strategy just backfired and in no way was that Holder's fault. The bloop double stayed in the air forever yet we still couldn't get to it because of the exaggerated shift. But even that wouldn't have mattered if we had had a 2 run lead rather than a 1 run lead. I actually thought he was pitching Gentry in the 8th because Holder wasn't available. I was shocked when Holder came trotting in 2 batters too late.

the59dawg
05-23-2014, 05:06 PM
It's moot if you just start Holder in the eigth and pitch him two innings. The kid could go 2 innings.

How can you say that? Holder gave up the tying run in in 8th and 9th. Without either we win. He also did that Tues nite to blow the save except we pulled it out then.

maroonmania
05-23-2014, 05:51 PM
How can you say that? Holder gave up the tying run in in 8th and 9th. Without either we win. He also did that Tues nite to blow the save except we pulled it out then.

First, the run given up in the 8th was on Gentry. Holder did a bang up job to keep 2 runs from scoring that inning given the other runner was already on 2nd with no outs when he came in. And the run in the 9th was just bad luck I guess as the shift backfired on a mile high popup.

MarketingBully01
05-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Yeah, cause he would have given up two runs in the bottom of the ninth. If he comes in, he gets the outs needed and odds are good AJ doesn't even come up to bat in the ninth or would have come up to bat with two outs in the ninth. He pitched pretty well last night. Wasn't his fault that a Pop Up sky high ball dropped on the line in left field that Cody Brown couldn't catch. He was playing so far over he was practically playing center field. Whoever had him positioned that way also killed us there. You should always catch a fly ball in the outfield that is popped up like that. Especially in fair territory. I am convinced Armstrong would have caught that ball. We also screwed ourselves in the field in the sixth inning as well when we allowed a 3 spot. Mentally, we were not there in the field at times yesterday. Say what you will about the pitching and giving up leads but a dive here and some positioning there and we win the game easily.