PDA

View Full Version : Strick says we've reached out to Notre Dame

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Wanted to make sure this didn't get lost in the other thread. We've contacted them about scheduling them in football. Haven't heard back yet.

I'm really impressed with Scott, and am glad we've got one of our own at the helm. Whatever you think of any specific moves, he is true maroon through & through!

starkvegasdawg
05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Let's just hope notre dames response isn't: " Are you the school that had the noose hung around that statue?"

Leroy Jenkins
05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
I think they want to play UGA to open up GA recruiting.

TUSK
05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
That game will never happen IMO.

Shotgun made a great point in the other thread.

ND would get little value in a win over MSU...

My guess would be a beatable UGA or Florida interests them most.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I think they want to play UGA to open up GA recruiting.

That appears to be their first choice, but they did say they wanted "an SEC team". If Georgia doesn't want it, then they're gonna have to look at other fertile recruiting grounds in the SEC. Not sure Les wants to do it, given he's already mad about having UF as his permanent. Bama has already kicked that ass badly, so not sure ND is ready to go there again yet. Sure, there are other options, like Florida, but Florida is already flooded with recruiters.

Hell, if Kelly's really interested in having an SEC opponent, and wants one fairly regularly, why not rotate a few in over the years. They'd probably look at us as a more "manageable" win, yet still get exposure in the South for playing an SEC team.

starkvegasdawg
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM

If that's the case then our response should be, "you scared, bro? We're right here. Come get some unless you're scared. Change you're tampon and come on down."

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 06:36 PM
If that's the case then our response should be, "you scared, bro? We're right here. Come get some unless you're scared. Change you're tampon and come on down."

Exactly! Treat it like Notre Dame threw down the gauntlet, then started back-tracking when we picked it up. PR win.

jimbo352
05-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Hopefully he doesn't schedule them for our first game***

I'm sure he's a good guy and a true bulldog, but I have not been impressed with him at all.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Exactly! Treat it like Notre Dame threw down the gauntlet, then started back-tracking when we picked it up. PR win.

Yeah!!! Anyone. Anytime. Anywhere. ****

sleepy dawg
05-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Let's just hope notre dames response isn't: " Are you the school that had the noose hung around that statue?"

To which, we would reply, "We forgave you for having sex with young boys..."

BeardoMSU
05-22-2014, 07:52 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4o4lqgS9s1qcf707o14_500.gif

Churchill
05-22-2014, 07:56 PM
I contacted Jennifer Aniston about a date but haven`t heard back yet. If you`re impressed with Stricklin wasting his time "reaching out" to a team that wouldn`t schedule us in 1 million years then you`re pretty easily impressed.

BeardoMSU
05-22-2014, 08:03 PM
I contacted Jennifer Aniston about a date but haven`t heard back yet. If you`re impressed with Stricklin wasting his time "reaching out" to a team that wouldn`t schedule us in 1 million years then you`re pretty easily impressed.

Not when we win the NC this year*****

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2014, 08:17 PM

This may be true, but, no matter if Notre Dame would ever play us or not, you still have to contact them and make the offer. By contacting Notre Dame, we are putting ourselves in a position where we have completely plausible deniability when we end up scheduling a crappy team.

EX: Lets say in the next few years, we just happen to get very lucky and make the College Football Playoff. Instantly the media, the Big 10, Pac 12, etc will cry foul at our non-conference schedule. But, by Stricklin making it public that we have contacted Notre Dame, now we can say, "Hey, we tried to schedule better teams, but they wouldn't play us. How can you blame MSU, and take away this wonderful opportunity from our student athletes when they nor the administration had any control over what our non-conference schedule was. All we can do is ask the top teams to play us. What do you want us to do?"

Good move by Stricklin no matter how unrealistic it is. It provides an out and the ability to blame our schedule on others.

Stricklin actually showed some mild political savvy with this move.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 08:22 PM

With your apparent lack of wit, you'd probably have trouble getting a date with a Jennifer Aniston transvestie look-alike.

I guess Oregon would never schedule a home & away with us, either. Oh wait, they did.

And we'd never get a powerhouse program like Miami in the 80's. Oh wait, we did.

What's with you guys who seem to think so little of our value that we couldn't, as an SEC team on-the-rise, with a potential Heismann candidate leading us into a season with the potential to compete for the SEC, look at all attractive to a program that is actively and publicly seeking an SEC opponent, presumably one they probably feel they stand a good chance of beating, but not being of Vandy or UK quality?

As others have pointed out, they came to Mississippi in '77 to play Ole Miss, 6 years after Ole Miss' previous appearance in a poll. A time ND was consistently at or near the top of the polls.

While they may decide not to engage us, don't give me this sad sack shit about us not being worthy or attractive enough.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 10:21 PM
With your apparent lack of wit, you'd probably have trouble getting a date with a Jennifer Aniston transvestie look-alike.

I guess Oregon would never schedule a home & away with us, either. Oh wait, they did.

And we'd never get a powerhouse program like Miami in the 80's. Oh wait, we did.

What's with you guys who seem to think so little of our value that we couldn't, as an SEC team on-the-rise, with a potential Heismann candidate leading us into a season with the potential to compete for the SEC, look at all attractive to a program that is actively and publicly seeking an SEC opponent, presumably one they probably feel they stand a good chance of beating, but not being of Vandy or UK quality?

As others have pointed out, they came to Mississippi in '77 to play Ole Miss, 6 years after Ole Miss' previous appearance in a poll. A time ND was consistently at or near the top of the polls.

While they may decide not to engage us, don't give me this sad sack shit about us not being worthy or attractive enough.

That series was played 1980-1983. Between 1970 and 1979, THE U won 42 and lost 67 with their best season being a 6-5 campaign. "National Powerhouse" Miami did not schedule a 4 game home and home with us. Mediocre at best independent Miami did.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Hopefully he doesn't schedule them for our first game***

I'm sure he's a good guy and a true bulldog, but I have not been impressed with him at all.

Completely agree. He may be "one of us" and a true Dawg, but he's sucked hard as an AD. Look no further than the bullshit we keep having with Adidas. And not getting a 2-for-1 from USM. And scheduling Okie State in what was regarded as something of a mild rebuilding year. Really, he's only done the minimum that any semi-competent AD would have. He badly needed to be an AD somewhere else before taking over an SEC program.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 10:26 PM
I wish this could happen. I just think from ND's point of view there's nothing to be gained from playing us. Georgia or TAMU or Tennessee or even SC would play them in a heartbeat. SC or Georgia would be "all excited" and sold out to play them just like we would.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 10:36 PM
That series was played 1980-1983. Between 1970 and 1979, THE U won 42 and lost 67 with their best season being a 6-5 campaign. "National Powerhouse" Miami did not schedule a 4 game home and home with us. Mediocre at best independent Miami did.

noticed you didn't say anything about oregon. I also didn't mention a few other teams we scheduled that were damn good at the time, though not historically great like ND.

Guys, we are not a CUSA team. Stop thinking like we are.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 10:48 PM
noticed you didn't say anything about oregon. I also didn't mention a few other teams we scheduled that were damn good at the time, though not historically great like ND.

Guys, we are not a CUSA team. Stop thinking like we are.

I really don't. I'm just kind of thinking that way about the Domers. I think they see us as a "CUSA school." I just really don't think there's anything we could do to interest them. They might do a 1 (Starkville) for 2 (South Bend) with us but not sure I'd want that.

Pollodawg
05-22-2014, 11:03 PM
If we played Notre Dame, we would rip their tiny ball sacks open and forcibly feed it to them..............Yeah, I been drinking, but I still think we could hold our own with the Irish.

EdDawg
05-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Georgia, Florida, nor South Carolina will schedule ND. Why would they? Those teams already have their OOC game what would they get from that game? Nothing.

War Machine Dawg
05-23-2014, 01:10 AM
Georgia, Florida, nor South Carolina will schedule ND. Why would they? Those teams already have their OOC game what would they get from that game? Nothing.

Yep. We're one of the few SEC teams it makes some logical sense for ND to play. As you say, UGA has GT, FL has FSU, and SCar has Clemson. Don't see any of them wanting to add ND with those teams already on the schedule every season.

ND will want no part of Bama after the can of whoop ass that Bama opened on them in the NC game a couple years ago. Doubt they'll want any of Auburn or LSU, either. That leaves us, aTm, UT, Mizzou, Arkansas, Vandy, UK, and the BearSharks as viable options for ND. Of that group, I'd say the only 2 teams that might be more attractive to ND are aTm and Mizzou. If we're forced to schedule a "power conference" team every year, then we should schedule a team like ND who'd be no better than a middle of the pack SEC team. Plus, I'd love to beat the piss out of that constantly overrated but continuously fellated program.

Todd4State
05-23-2014, 01:30 AM
Completely agree. He may be "one of us" and a true Dawg, but he's sucked hard as an AD. Look no further than the bullshit we keep having with Adidas. And not getting a 2-for-1 from USM. And scheduling Okie State in what was regarded as something of a mild rebuilding year. Really, he's only done the minimum that any semi-competent AD would have. He badly needed to be an AD somewhere else before taking over an SEC program.

Didn't Byrne set up the USM series?

Todd4State
05-23-2014, 01:33 AM
This may be true, but, no matter if Notre Dame would ever play us or not, you still have to contact them and make the offer. By contacting Notre Dame, we are putting ourselves in a position where we have completely plausible deniability when we end up scheduling a crappy team.

EX: Lets say in the next few years, we just happen to get very lucky and make the College Football Playoff. Instantly the media, the Big 10, Pac 12, etc will cry foul at our non-conference schedule. But, by Stricklin making it public that we have contacted Notre Dame, now we can say, "Hey, we tried to schedule better teams, but they wouldn't play us. How can you blame MSU, and take away this wonderful opportunity from our student athletes when they nor the administration had any control over what our non-conference schedule was. All we can do is ask the top teams to play us. What do you want us to do?"

Good move by Stricklin no matter how unrealistic it is. It provides an out and the ability to blame our schedule on others.

Stricklin actually showed some mild political savvy with this move.

That and it will show the SEC that we are at least trying to do what they want us to do- and unless Notre Dame does something completely unexpected- how difficult it is for us to do a home and home with a Big 5 school.

I still think we are going to be destined to play a bunch of kickoff classics until the SEC expands or does away with that dumb rule.

FISHDAWG
05-23-2014, 08:34 AM
I really don't. I'm just kind of thinking that way about the Domers. I think they see us as a "CUSA school." I just really don't think there's anything we could do to interest them. They might do a 1 (Starkville) for 2 (South Bend) with us but not sure I'd want that.

don't know why ... it's not like they are a perennial power house like Bama or LSU ..... so they played for the title a few years ago and have a championship back in the eighties or something like that .... we saw what happened when they played bama

jimbo352
05-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Can you imagine how he'd look right now had Byrne not hired Mullen & Cohen???? Those two hires have allowed him to grow/learn on the job.

FISHDAWG
05-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Can you imagine how he'd look right now had Byrne not hired Mullen & Cohen???? Those two hires have allowed him to grow/learn on the job.

as Mullen has had to do

drunkernhelldawg
05-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Our program is better than our own fans give it credit for being. Notre Dame would be honored to compete against one of the oldest programs in college football. It remains to be seen whether they take advantage of the opportunity. I've always wanted to play them, so I hope they do accept the challenge from us.

BulldogBear
05-23-2014, 10:27 AM
don't know why ... it's not like they are a perennial power house like Bama or LSU ..... so they played for the title a few years ago and have a championship back in the eighties or something like that .... we saw what happened when they played bama

Yes, you and I know that, but ND alumni don't. As long as they get to have their cake and eat it too... as long as they get be independent yet not in other sports, mucking up and holding the whole expansion issue for the other Big Fivers... as long as they have their NBC deal... they are going to want big opponents and want them in South Bend. Road trips for big opponents only. Although...they play some "not big opponents" on the road but many of those are old rivals and a few are areas they want to recruit. They are not trying to recruit Mississippi. They will not come here. They need to guarantee 7 home games for revenue (AD and/or president has stated this). I want this, but it's not happening.

Statecoachingblows**
05-23-2014, 12:05 PM
I find it interesting that the majority of the talk about who they want to play is mostly teams from the SEC East. I know recruiting is a big part of it but wouldn't they be better off credibility wise to take on a team in the toughest division in D1? Whether they will take us on or not at leat its out there. And I'm guessing we were the first ones to accept their challenge? it's not like DWS is a 15,000 seat venue either. It would be a prime time game if for no other reason than its ND vs SEC which gives not schools their much desires PR points

smootness
05-23-2014, 12:10 PM

Yes. But for some insane reason I will never understand, some of our fans just assume Byrne was a god and Stricklin is a bumpkin with an IQ of 80.

And what BS with Adidas? The fact that we are their flagship baseball school, or the fact that he's renegotiated the deal with them to give us a much more advantageous relationship?

Or just the fact that some of our fans don't like our style of jersey sometimes?

In the grand scheme of things, our style of jersey is probably Priority # 3,451 of an AD.

blacklistedbully
05-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Yes. But for some insane reason I will never understand, some of our fans just assume Byrne was a god and Stricklin is a bumpkin with an IQ of 80.

And what BS with Adidas? The fact that we are their flagship baseball school, or the fact that he's renegotiated the deal with them to give us a much more advantageous relationship?

Or just the fact that some of our fans don't like our style of jersey sometimes?

In the grand scheme of things, our style of jersey is probably Priority # 3,451 of an AD.

I agree. Yes. Adidas has put out some crappy looking jerseys, but that's an "art-direction" thing that could swing around 180 degrees. I like the fact that they consider us one of their, if not their, "Oregon". If true, that means they're looking to sink a ton of their focus & money on us in order to compete with Nike. Their willingness to invest in us is far more important than whether or not their art department is sucking wind. Changes in the art department can be easy. Replacing the kind of benefit we get from having one of the world's biggest brands of sporting goods investing in us is damn near impossible.

BulldogBear
05-23-2014, 01:39 PM
I agree. Yes. Adidas has put out some crappy looking jerseys, but that's an "art-direction" thing that could swing around 180 degrees. I like the fact that they consider us one of their, if not their, "Oregon". If true, that means they're looking to sink a ton of their focus & money on us in order to compete with Nike. Their willingness to invest in us is far more important than whether or not their art department is sucking wind. Changes in the art department can be easy. Replacing the kind of benefit we get from having one of the world's biggest brands of sporting goods investing in us is damn near impossible.

I HATE crappy unis, but you make a good point. I'm fine with Addidas I guess, I just want better designs. If we're gonna be "their boy" I want the best not crap that looks like we're their lab rat.

scottycameron
05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
This would be the baddest ass thing ever. And you don't know till you ask. If you don't think my ass will be in south bend you're crazy. The Texas series was incredible, this tops even that. First game of the year, last game of the year, or anywhere in between.... 1 for 1, 2 for 1, whatever, book it.

blacklistedbully
11-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Wonder how ND would feel about scheduling us now?

Dawg61
11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Wonder how ND would feel about scheduling us now?

You just bumped your own thread from May. Haha

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I HATE crappy unis, but you make a good point. I'm fine with Addidas I guess, I just want better designs. If we're gonna be "their boy" I want the best not crap that looks like we're their lab rat.

How will you feel when we win a National title in the Adidas 100 year unis? I personally like those as well as any of the Nike unis. Also MState on the helmet will be linked to us. Too much brand recognition to ever bring back MSJ Nike logo.

FlabLoser
11-10-2014, 04:15 PM
I'd rather we schedule a scrub from a P5 than a team with a known ability to be a contender from time to time. Let's don't Rich Rod/WV this up.

(Although when we signed the WV deal, there was no indication WV would be a nationally good team when gametime came up.)

Political Hack
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
shouldn't Notre Dame be reaching out to us?

blacklistedbully
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM

You just bumped your own thread from May. Haha

So?

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 04:43 PM
I'd rather we schedule a scrub from a P5 than a team with a known ability to be a contender from time to time. Let's don't Rich Rod/WV this up.

(Although when we signed the WV deal, there was no indication WV would be a nationally good team when gametime came up.)

Which is why it's extremely risky to set up deals 5 years out.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 04:46 PM
The fact of the matter is Notre Dame doesn't want to come to Starkville. And it's not because it's Starkville and there isn't a Cracker Barrel. It's because they know they would get their ass kicked.

maroonmania
11-10-2014, 04:52 PM

They would get considerably more value playing us than they do a large part of their current schedule however when you place value gained against risk of losing therein lies the problem for them. We WILL be a much more respected opponent over the next few years based on what we've done this year following many consistent bowl seasons. That can't be denied.

msstate7
11-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Love trying to schedule ND

BulldogBear
11-10-2014, 05:05 PM
How will you feel when we win a National title in the Adidas 100 year unis? I personally like those as well as any of the Nike unis. Also MState on the helmet will be linked to us. Too much brand recognition to ever bring back MSJ Nike logo.

That comment was made in May, long before 100 years unis came out. And the 100 year unis are exactly the kind of uni we should be wearing.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2014, 06:55 PM
That comment was made in May, long before 100 years unis came out. And the 100 year unis are exactly the kind of uni we should be wearing.

They are actually similar to the Nike.

BiscuitEater
11-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Really, he's only done the minimum that any semi-competent AD would have. He badly needed to be an AD somewhere else before taking over an SEC program.

Guess you weren't around for the LT era; then you would really understand what the 'minimum' was.

Maroonthirteen
11-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm all for more entertaining games than UTM but ask Ohio St how that VaTech looks now. If they had played WKU or Miami(oh), they would be in the playoff discussion.

mic
11-10-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm all for more entertaining games than UTM but ask Ohio St how that VaTech looks now. If they had played WKU or Miami(oh), they would be in the playoff discussion.

If OSU couldn't beat a .500 va tech team at home they have no business being in the final 4 anyway.... And I don't care if it was ealry in the season.. And I bet OSU losses another game.. Probably in the big 10 championship game..

MidTNDawg
11-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Yes!

Dawg61
11-11-2014, 01:04 AM
So?

Pretty sure you're the biggest douchebag on this board. Other than that carry on.

blacklistedbully
11-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Pretty sure you're the biggest douchebag on this board. Other than that carry on.

Aww, did wittle D61 look like his usual dumbass self on the old thread?

Dude, you're such a moron, it doesn't surprise me you have a problem with me bumping an old thread that has an obvious recently relevant connection.

How it must chap your hide that only you have expressed any disapproval, while others have found it perfectly fine to reengage.

It might actually bother me a little bit to be insulted here, but when I consider the source, it occurs to me it's really kinda silly to get irritated when a clown like you does it. I mean, is it your fault you're a moron? In all likelihood, you were born that way. Rather than get angry with you, I should pity you. I mean, whatever is said here, you have to go through life being you. Nothing I could say to you could trump that insult.

Dawg61
11-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Aww, did wittle D61 look like his usual dumbass self on the old thread?

Dude, you're such a moron, it doesn't surprise me you have a problem with me bumping an old thread that has an obvious recently relevant connection.

How it must chap your hide that only you have expressed any disapproval, while others have found it perfectly fine to reengage.

It might actually bother me a little bit to be insulted here, but when I consider the source, it occurs to me it's really kinda silly to get irritated when a clown like you does it. I mean, is it your fault you're a moron? In all likelihood, you were born that way. Rather than get angry with you, I should pity you. I mean, whatever is said here, you have to go through life being you. Nothing I could say to you could trump that insult.

Haha and just like usual you fly off at the handle. You're a Jerry Springer crack whore with multiple annoying qualities. Bumping your old threads is one of them. But carry on not giving a fu@k that it's annoying. Please change your name to blacklistedretard.

blacklistedbully
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Haha and just like usual you fly off at the handle. You're a Jerry Springer crack whore with multiple annoying qualities. Bumping your old threads is one of them. But carry on not giving a fu@k that it's annoying. Please change your name to blacklistedretard.

Way to use a really classless old reference to the mentally-handicapped in a lame, uninspired attempt to ridicule. Just further proves what a low-brow, unintelligent moron you are.

Your concern over this thread continuation, and the fact you are the only one who has expressed a problem with it reeks of your desperation to take a shot at me. Yeah, I get that you're obsessed with me, just as you've been from the beginning of your time on this board. I exposed you for the clown you are, and you resent it. I get it. Just because you are a moron, that shouldn't preclude you from getting upset when another poster points it out.

It's just a damned shame, and frankly, disgusting that you chose to use the word "retard" in your insult. I have had the pleasure of working with, and being around many mentally-handicapped people in my life, and nearly all of them are the sweetest, most caring and loving people I know. Every last one of them is insulted by the term, "retard", no doubt because most of them were tortured as youths with this word by low-life dirtbags like you who probably have such self-esteem problems that they need to sink really low in an effort to make themselves feel superior to someone...anyone, including those who least deserve to be treated in such a way.

The fact that you choose to use that word to infer intellectual inferiority is truly telling. You are, without doubt, a serious POS, and a loser.

Dawg61
11-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Way to use a really classless old reference to the mentally-handicapped in a lame, uninspired attempt to ridicule. Just further proves what a low-brow, unintelligent moron you are.

Your concern over this thread continuation, and the fact you are the only one who has expressed a problem with it reeks of your desperation to take a shot at me. Yeah, I get that you're obsessed with me, just as you've been from the beginning of your time on this board. I exposed you for the clown you are, and you resent it. I get it. Just because you are a moron, that shouldn't preclude you from getting upset when another poster points it out.

It's just a damned shame, and frankly, disgusting that you chose to use the word "retard" in your insult. I have had the pleasure of working with, and being around many mentally-handicapped people in my life, and nearly all of them are the sweetest, most caring and loving people I know. Every last one of them is insulted by the term, "retard", no doubt because most of them were tortured as youths with this word by low-life dirtbags like you who probably have such self-esteem problems that they need to sink really low in an effort to make themselves feel superior to someone...anyone, including those who least deserve to be treated in such a way.

The fact that you choose to use that word to infer intellectual inferiority is truly telling. You are, without doubt, a serious POS, and a loser.

Not worth it

Johnson85
11-11-2014, 04:35 PM
shouldn't Notre Dame be reaching out to us?

Depends on whether they think we're a one Dak wonder. If they do, they should be all about scheduling us for 2016 and maybe 2017, hoping they get a big name as it regresses to the mean.

But I would say they shouldn't schedule any SEC team but a UGA, UF, LSU. Go for a big name with the potential to be going through a transition. Looking two or more years out, there's a good chance they could lose to whichever SEC team they pick (with the exception of Vandy), so might as well pick a team where the perception won't be that bad if you lose.

blacklistedbully
11-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Ok, retard

Too late. You already showed your real stripes, loser.

Dog316
11-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Wanted to make sure this didn't get lost in the other thread. We've contacted them about scheduling them in football. Haven't heard back yet.

I'm really impressed with Scott, and am glad we've got one of our own at the helm. Whatever you think of any specific moves, he is true maroon through & through!

-----
I'm glad you are really impressed with Scott.